View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Original xbox emulation
#375072 - 03/24/18 03:57 PM

Can anyone tell me what the state-of-the-art in original xbox emulation is and what makes the system harder to emulate than other systems of the time period? Is it simply that the xbox is more powerful than these other systems? Is there something about the xbox hardware that makes it difficult to emulate? Is it like the N64 where too much focus was given to buggy broken HLE emulators (UltraHLE in the case of N64, CXBX or whatever it was in the case of XBOX) and not enough given to proper low level emulation?

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Original xbox emulation new [Re: jonwil]
#375078 - 03/24/18 05:27 PM

IMHO it's a lack of interest from (PC) gamers for that platform simply because there were a few exclusives for XBOX, therefore there is a low interest from potentially devs to make an emulator.
Besides that there are usual difficulties such as no (obscure) documentation, lack of knowledge, defocusing the emulation scene with more popular systems in that time (PS2/GC/Wii) and so on...
Nevertheless there are a few enthusiasts out there which has some success with XBOX emu.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Original xbox emulation new [Re: CTOJAH]
#375083 - 03/24/18 07:12 PM

Essentially you're correct. There have been several attempts to make an emulator, but they weren't done very well & required more work than they wanted to put into it. So, bottom line, they basically just gave up development on it. Every time any new interest seems to come about, it quickly dwindles away & nothing much is ever done

Here is an interesting video getting into more detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97mQcus7wFI

Edited by Envisaged0ne (03/24/18 07:14 PM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Original xbox emulation new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#375559 - 04/10/18 01:16 PM

All of a sudden, nice progress here :

https://github.com/Cxbx-Reloaded/Cxbx-Reloaded

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Original xbox emulation new [Re: CTOJAH]
#375560 - 04/10/18 02:15 PM

I'm glad I can see more than yet another Jet Set Radio Future with the frustum obstructed by a barf of polygons (something that has been fixed too BTW). I'm also glad my original Xbox still works, because I would be dead when a quantum computer emulates this system at low level, glitch free and full speed.

Now if only the N-Gage had at least the same attention than Xbox emulation it would be great.

It's kind of funny Kasumi gets the worst on emulation attempts, I wonder if the polygon count and effects are higher on her.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Original xbox emulation new [Re: BIOS-D]
#375570 - 04/10/18 07:04 PM

Huh? Why do you think it would take a quantum processor to emulate the xbox? as far as computer processing power, it's not very demanding. The biggest problem isn't having powerful enough computers. It's just nobody has put any serious work into emulating the console. But modern computers would be able to run it

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#375571 - 04/10/18 07:48 PM

> Huh? Why do you think it would take a quantum processor to emulate the xbox? as far
> as computer processing power, it's not very demanding. The biggest problem isn't
> having powerful enough computers. It's just nobody has put any serious work into
> emulating the console. But modern computers would be able to run it

Basically because of that: "nobody has put any serious work into emulating the console". We have one project that as far as I can tell only hacks SDK based build games. So basically they will need to hack every single one of them. Then there is MAME. However their hands are full on many other systems (not a bad thing), a x86 DRC too complex it will take time to develop and the system isn't yet completely understood for that purpose because no one cares about the Dreamcast successor.

That's why I think I'll grow old watching another progress. I've been sick of "JSRF working (with a lot of glitches)" videos for the last 4 years. It looks like DOA3 is the next on "same game over and over" until it gets glitch free.

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#375572 - 04/10/18 09:17 PM

> Huh? Why do you think it would take a quantum processor to emulate the xbox? as far
> as computer processing power, it's not very demanding. The biggest problem isn't
> having powerful enough computers. It's just nobody has put any serious work into
> emulating the console. But modern computers would be able to run it

A 733MHz processor with 80-bits floats is not something current Mame tackles nicely...

OG.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 318 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 788