View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DonkeysDong
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/18/16
Send PM

White rectangle before game starts
#374885 - 03/19/18 12:45 PM

Using mame64 0.178 and have disabled the nag screens, but still getting a white frame around the sides of the screen, for a split second, before any game starts.
Looks like the nag screen but missing the info in the middle.
Anyone know how to hide this white frame?
Any help appreciated! Tried everything.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: White rectangle before game starts new [Re: DonkeysDong]
#374886 - 03/19/18 12:50 PM

> Using mame64 0.178 and have disabled the nag screens, but still getting a white frame
> around the sides of the screen, for a split second, before any game starts.
> Looks like the nag screen but missing the info in the middle.
> Anyone know how to hide this white frame?
> Any help appreciated! Tried everything.

stop doing that.

it's bad enough people remove these screens (which are NOT nags, they're an important part of the MAME process of conveying the emulation status)

if you're going OCD over some white borders the only thing that needs fixing is you.

if that's harsh / rude, sorry, but you're coming here, asking about unapproved mods, which is just as rude to those of us who work on the project and have to deal with support issues due to idiots removing the messages and such.

anything that has any kind of warning message in the first place has more serious emulation fidelity issues than a white border showing for a fraction of a second unless you're in the "white border for 0.1 seconds bad, incorrect galaga starfield for the entire duration the game is running just fine" camp.

DonkeysDong
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: White rectangle before game starts new [Re: Haze]
#374888 - 03/19/18 01:02 PM

Yes, you are being extremely rude.
If you don't want to help, don't reply, instead of spouting sanctimonious bile from up high on your MAME throne.
What a load of self-righteous, obnoxious tosh.

Haze
Send PM

#374889 - 03/19/18 01:04 PM

> Yes, you are being extremely rude.
> If you don't want to help, don't reply, instead of spouting sanctimonious bile from
> up high on your MAME throne.
> What a load of self-righteous, obnoxious tosh.

well now you know how we feel when people like you come here with your bullshit.

it's honestly no ruder than what you posted at all.

the problems caused by people removing those screens are never ending, so yes, I'm going to be militant when somebody comes along here talking about that stuff and then even saying that isn't enough.

overly entitled idiots.

DonkeysDong
MAME Fan
Send PM

#374890 - 03/19/18 01:06 PM

Dude, it's an emulator and I asked how to hide a white frame.
You're going on like I shagged your missus.
Grow up and get a life.

Haze
Send PM

#374891 - 03/19/18 01:08 PM

> Dude, it's an emulator and I asked how to hide a white frame.
> You're going on like I shagged your missus.
> Grow up and get a life.

it's software I've helped develop, and you're actively asking about things that cause problems for absolutely 0 gain. I will repeat, anything that shows those messages or in this case a white border for a fraction of a second of all fucking things has more serious problems than either the messages OR A WHITE BORDER FOR A FRACTION OF A SECOND themselves.

there's literally NO good reason for doing it.

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

#374892 - 03/19/18 01:30 PM

Just to let you know ... Haze is a MAME developer. He has every right to say what he said about what you asked. You might want to do a little research before crossing swords with people on a message board that you are new to. If you think Haze was being rude, you're lucky it was him that answered you and not some of the other devs that visit this board.

Haze
Send PM

Re: White rectangle before game starts new [Re: Jason]
#374893 - 03/19/18 01:41 PM

> Just to let you know ... Haze is a MAME developer. He has every right to say what he
> said about what you asked. You might want to do a little research before crossing
> swords with people on a message board that you are new to. If you think Haze was
> being rude, you're lucky it was him that answered you and not some of the other devs
> that visit this board.

right, and I usually prefer to be helpful, but in cases like this we have multiple issues

1) openly talking about removing the useful information screens, the ones that mean users aren't running broken games and then telling us they're broken when we already know they're broken, even tried to communicate that to them, but they removed the messages due to some OCD because apparently asking them to make a single button press on startup each time is too much.

2) prioritizing the need for some 'white border' not to be there for a fraction of a second over actual emulation quality issues. this one always gets me, people claiming that they can't stand something like a white border for a fraction of a second because it makes the experience non-authentic, then running emulation isn't even authentic in the first place (and for anything with an information box, it's definitely not authentic, actually VERY LITTLE of Mame is perfect)

A white border or information screen should absolutely be of secondary concern than the emulation not being correct in the first place yet you get people like this who want to scrub all the MAME out of MAME, yet are somehow happy with emulation that really doesn't match the boards at all. It's a horrible way of looking at things, and bar the people who actually start making false bug reports after doing this, one of the worst user groups the project has.

Anybody who is genuinely upset by a white border flicking on the screen on startup for a second should just be running the original PCBs in the first place.

DonkeysDong
MAME Fan
Send PM

#374894 - 03/19/18 01:44 PM

OMG.
I committed the heinous act of asking how to hide a border.
I shall be cast into eternal damnation.
Come on, Jason, get some perspective.
You're not curing cancer here, you developed a games emulator.
You're acting like a deranged Scientologist.
If you don't want to help, don't reply, that's the polite normal thing to do.

Edited by DonkeysDong (03/19/18 01:44 PM)

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

#374897 - 03/19/18 02:26 PM

Wrong again ... I didn't develop anything. Again, do a little research before looking like a fool.

I'll end this here and let your amusing posts speak for themselves. Quite comical. Thanks for the chuckle.

DonkeysDong
MAME Fan
Send PM

#374898 - 03/19/18 02:34 PM

No I'll end it by saying you're obnoxious.

Haze
Send PM

#374899 - 03/19/18 02:35 PM

> No I'll end it by saying you're obnoxious.

thank you for proving the nature of the type of people who want to remove these things once again. definitely not an audience we should be catering to, or helping at all.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#374900 - 03/19/18 02:53 PM

> > No I'll end it by saying you're obnoxious.
>
> thank you for proving the nature of the type of people who want to remove these
> things once again. definitely not an audience we should be catering to, or helping at
> all.

Funny he didn't look for a broken MAME with hacks that doesn't have those. lol

He be better off sticking to Official MAME than those broken MAME with hacks.

Official MAME gotta grow on him. It did on me.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

DonkeysDong
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: White rectangle before game starts new [Re: Dullaron]
#374902 - 03/19/18 03:12 PM

Keepers of the MAME flame unite.
We have driven this heathen from our ranks for wanting to hide a white border and make the gaming experience more authentic.
How dare he come into our lair with his progressive ideas.

You guys are very sad.
You are congratulating yourself for being completely rude and aggressive to someone who just asked for help.
Whatever gets you off.

Haze
Send PM

#374904 - 03/19/18 03:30 PM

> Keepers of the MAME flame unite.
> We have driven this heathen from our ranks for wanting to hide a white border and
> make the gaming experience more authentic
> How dare he come into our lair with his progressive ideas.
>

again, why are you perfectly willing to accept non-authentic emulation (to the point of hiding messages that tell you the emulation is not authentic) yet get your panties in a twist over a white box. preaching authenticity in this case is absolutely comical.

if you can't see that you're the problem here...

as the whole Billy Mitchell thing shows, there are more problems with emulation than a white border on startup, people can still tell. It isn't authentic even for the classics.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

#374905 - 03/19/18 04:18 PM

> We have driven this heathen from our ranks for wanting to hide a white border and
> make the gaming experience more authentic.
>
> You guys are very sad.
> You are congratulating yourself for being completely rude and aggressive to someone
> who just asked for help.
> Whatever gets you off.

You know what to do then instead of begging for help on here and in the proccess pissing everyone off
why dont you learn to code and that way you can remove from your own personal build things which
you dont like.

Actually for the record i like the nag screens as people call em it's part of the overall MAME experience
and funnily enough alotta arcade games actually boot with nag or warning screens

Arcade Addict

Haze
Send PM

Re: White rectangle before game starts new [Re: gamez fan]
#374907 - 03/19/18 04:54 PM

> > Keepers of the MAME flame unite.
> > We have driven this heathen from our ranks for wanting to hide a white border and
> > make the gaming experience more authentic.
> > How dare he come into our lair with his progressive ideas.
> >
> > You guys are very sad.
> > You are congratulating yourself for being completely rude and aggressive to someone
> > who just asked for help.
> > Whatever gets you off.
>
> You know what to do then instead of begging for help on here and in the proccess
> pissing everyone off
> why dont you learn to code and that way you can remove from your own personal build
> things which
> you dont like.
>
> Actually for the record i like the nag screens as people call em it's part of the
> overall MAME experience
> and funnily enough alotta arcade games actually boot with nag or warning screens

yeah, that's one reason it's funny when people say they want to do such things and also only have US games, because the majority of US games come with built in "Winners Don't Use Drugs" 'nags' which appear every single attract loop. The excuses are laughable.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

OMG... What's that? Rules you say? new [Re: DonkeysDong]
#374918 - 03/19/18 09:45 PM

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/rules.php?Cat=

Wow... There they are.

#10... Yup... That one's broken.

#5 and #6... Yup... Haze should refer to those two once in a while.

TBH... I'm going to side with Haze on this one, though.

-- You asked about something you're not supposed to
-- He "almost politely" explained why.
-- you got pissed off and threw a fit.

This does not fall into the "if you have nothing constructive to say, then just ignore the topic" mindset that you said here:

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

Because this topic shouldn't be discussed here in the first place. It is literally the number one cause of false bug reports and "why doesn't this work" questions.

You registered 18 months ago, so you're ready not exactly "new," other than you haven't posted a lot.

If this is for your own personal use... fine... There are other forums that talk about this topic... You can find help there... Google is your friend.

End of the day, you either:
-- Never read the rules, and then got all bunched up when you were told no.
-- Knew the situation and got exactly what you we're hoping for out of this topic.

And to finish it off... Your argument that this hinders the "true arcade experience" doesn't hold water. Any game where that message is displayed is not completely emulated correctly, so regardless of if that screen is there or not, you already aren't getting the "100% true" arcade experience from that game.

And past experience has shown time and again that people that use that term "arcade experience" tend to be selling MAME in a cabinet, which is also frowned upon here. Not saying that's your intention... Just letting you know why that rule is there in the first place.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#374924 - 03/20/18 12:37 AM

>
> You guys are very sad.
> You are congratulating yourself for being completely rude and aggressive to someone
> who just asked for help.
> Whatever gets you off.

You realize they removed the option to skip that message screen. Was in the mame.ini file. That is so many MAME ago. You not getting that option added back in that file. Not ever. They gave you the reason.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

smf
I've been here before
Reged: 01/16/15
Send PM

#374939 - 03/20/18 10:35 AM

The gaming experience only starts after the nag screen.

For an authentic experience before that, you need to buy real arcade boards.

Making MAME look like a real arcade board is mostly useful to those who wish to abuse MAME by selling it.

DonkeysDong
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: White rectangle before game starts new [Re: smf]
#374941 - 03/20/18 01:11 PM

Listen, each to their own.
What I'm objecting to is the aggressive nature and the rudeness of the original person, and many of the others, who replied.
The normal, polite response would have been to say it goes against our principles and you should try another forum, etc.
As it happens I got some great help from another poster on another forum and between us, we managed to hide the rectangle.
He was very helpful and not dogmatic.
Many of the replies on this forum has dissuaded me from ever coming here again and I will be advising others not to as well.
I've worked in the software industry for decades and I will be telling people to avoid this forum like the plague.

Haze
Send PM

#374942 - 03/20/18 01:22 PM

> Listen, each to their own.
> What I'm objecting to is the aggressive nature and the rudeness of the original
> person, and many of the others, who replied.
> The normal, polite response would have been to say it goes against our principles and
> you should try another forum, etc.
> As it happens I got some great help from another poster on another forum and between
> us, we managed to hide the rectangle.
> He was very helpful and not dogmatic.
> Many of the replies on this forum has dissuaded me from ever coming here again and I
> will be advising others not to as well.
> I've worked in the software industry for decades and I will be telling people to
> avoid this forum like the plague.

good, fuck off. we don't want people with the kind of 'needs' you're spreading. it's unhelpful to the project to a far greater degree than you think we're being unhelpful here.

we know there are idiots on other forums who will help other idiots do stupid things like this, I'm just glad that this isn't one of those places.

I will respond to rudeness towards the project, with an appropriate amount of rudeness towards those doing it. The way in which you're abusing MAME and going against the desires of those who have worked on it and actually have to deal with bug reports etc. is a negative contribution to the project and this community so the further you are from it, and less likely that you, or anybody who knows you is reporting bugs after applying your stupid hacks etc. the better.

If other places want to support that level of idiocy and the inevitable support problems that come with it, so be it, but I can only hope there's a massive canyon between over there and over here.

Why the strong response? because there have been people trying to do stupid things like this for 20 years, and it ALWAYS ends up badly, because they never think of the impact what they're doing has on the actual people working on the project once somebody else gets hold of those hacks. Things like this, and the other hacks you've applied have been the #1 source of false bug reports and wasted developer time over the years, all for some ridiculous OCD and false sense of 'authenticity' At this point in time I have exactly 0 patience for it.

DonkeysDong
MAME Fan
Send PM

#374943 - 03/20/18 01:37 PM

> good, fuck off.

Class act. Just when I thought it couldn't get any more abusive.
You're an embarrassment.

DonkeysDong
MAME Fan
Send PM

#374944 - 03/20/18 01:39 PM

"good, fuck off."

5) Do NOT harass, verbally abuse, or threaten other visitors! If you have a disagreement, please take it to private message or simply ignore the other person altogether in more serious cases. The goal of this messageboard is to provide a friendly, helpful, and informative atmosphere for discussion of various topics.

lol

Haze
Send PM

#374945 - 03/20/18 01:44 PM

> > good, fuck off.
>
> Class act. Just when I thought it couldn't get any more abusive.
> You're an embarrassment.

I don't care if they ban me for this, I will stand my ground on the issue as it's one of the most important ones for the health of the project.

You act like walking away will be a big deal, it won't be because you've already shown that you're of negative worth here and to the community.

The thread should have been locked / deleted at your very first post anyway.

As I've already said, this is Billy Mitchell saga level stupid.

Ripping out parts of MAME does not make it more authentic, because the actual emulation is far from.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#374947 - 03/20/18 02:05 PM

> > > good, fuck off.
> >
> > Class act. Just when I thought it couldn't get any more abusive.
> > You're an embarrassment.
>
> I don't care if they ban me for this, I will stand my ground on the issue as it's one
> of the most important ones for the health of the project.
>
> You act like walking away will be a big deal, it won't be because you've already
> shown that you're of negative worth here and to the community.
>
> The thread should have been locked / deleted at your very first post anyway.
>
> As I've already said, this is Billy Mitchell saga level stupid.
>
> Ripping out parts of MAME does not make it more authentic, because the actual
> emulation is far from.

Things were said, replies were given. This thread is over.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 289 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1072