MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Upgrade for HotRod?
#374701 - 03/14/18 06:24 AM

After 15+ years of faithful service, my HotRod needs some attention. It looks like the PS/2 port on my current MAME PC doesn't like the output of the HodRod's encoder, I'm getting intermittent stuck keys during play. A USB upgrade is long overdue anyway.

So what's the state of the art for arcade interfaces? It's been ages since I've paid attention. I see that X-Arcade has an upgrade kit specifically for the HotRod. The I-PAC VE also looks like a good option. Anyone have a recommendation for one of these? Other options?

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: Upgrade for HotRod? new [Re: DMala]
#374831 - 03/17/18 11:53 PM

> After 15+ years of faithful service, my HotRod needs some attention. It looks like
> the PS/2 port on my current MAME PC doesn't like the output of the HodRod's encoder,
> I'm getting intermittent stuck keys during play. A USB upgrade is long overdue
> anyway.
>
> So what's the state of the art for arcade interfaces? It's been ages since I've paid
> attention. I see that X-Arcade has an upgrade kit specifically for the HotRod. The
> I-PAC VE also looks like a good option. Anyone have a recommendation for one of
> these? Other options?

Wrote this post several years ago:
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

I have been using and continue to use my HotRod SE from 2001. Outside of needing the PS2-->USB upgrade, no other complaint or problem. All original parts and still works perfectly.

Currently running Windows 10 64-bit on a Core i7.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Upgrade for HotRod? new [Re: Trebor]
#375071 - 03/24/18 03:05 PM

> Wrote this post several years ago:
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1
>
> I have been using and continue to use my HotRod SE from 2001. Outside of needing the
> PS2-->USB upgrade, no other complaint or problem. All original parts and still works
> perfectly.
>
> Currently running Windows 10 64-bit on a Core i7.

Good to know. I might just go the same route. It's interesting that I'm getting the same behavior from a PS2 connection on the motherboard that you were getting from a PS2-USB adapter.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#378475 - 09/07/18 04:43 AM

In case anyone is interested...

I ended up going with the IPAC-2 VE. Installing was pretty straightforward. The HotRod had three connectors for everything. I just snipped the wires at each connector, stripped the ends, and wired them to the screw terminals on the IPAC. Nothing was labeled on the HotRod, but the color coding of the wires was decent, so it was a pretty straightforward process to get it wired up right.

The only bummer with the IPAC is that the USB connector is on the end of the board, so you can't just screw it in where the original board was. I ended up putting it in the center of the panel, where there's some room between the Player 1 and Player 2 controls. At the moment, I have the included USB cable running right out the hole in the back and to the PC. Eventually, I'll get a wire with a female USB-B on a plate to Mini-USB, and mount the plate on the back so I have a proper external connection.

There are a few quirks with the IPAC VE. The WinIPAC configuration software doesn't recognize the board, which doesn't matter much since the VE doesn't retain any custom configs after power down anyway. One of the drivers also appears in Device Manager with a yellow ! and an error message. I haven't been able to resolve that, but everything works perfectly in MAME, so I haven't spent much time on it.

All in all, a very worthwhile upgrade, especially with PS/2 ports becoming increasingly rare and poorly implemented.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#380317 - 12/25/18 05:24 AM

I used the x-arcade upgrade kit as soon as I had heard about it. No complaints. Without it, you had to deal with chaining the hotrod in between the PC and a keyboard, and many keyboards had a finite max number of simultaneous key presses, rendering special moves in some games difficult at best.

Only 1 issue I have with the kit, is that mine (not sure if any) didn't come with an extra button to install for mode switching. I just have to tap the wires together myself for that, because I'm too lazy to do a proper fix.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1031