MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

FennecTheFox
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/28/18
Send PM

Random Emulation Questions - Names/SWL/Systems/MAME
#374519 - 03/09/18 09:59 PM

So I've been reading about what the different symbols at the end of games mean. Example: (!) (a) (u) etc. There's a fairly long list...

1.) I know that (b) means Bad Dump, (o) means Overdump and (h) means Hack.
-But what does it mean when there are numbers attached to the letters? Example:
(b4) (b1), (o4), (h3) etc?

2.) Does MAME SWL not save individual game controller Cfg files? Seems when I change my controls in one game, they stick to the next game and when I update my controls for the current game they overwrite the controls for the previous game even though I'm using "Input [this Machine]"

3.) Is there no difference between the games on Neo-Geo AES/MVS? Yeah, I realize one is the home console and one is the arcade machine. But is there nothing different beyond that? Also, I know how to get blood in Metal Slug for MVS, but is there a way to do it in AES?

4.) Is this MAME compatibility list reliable? It seems to be kept up to date.

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/MAME_compatibility_list#NES

Thanks

Edited by FennecTheFox (03/09/18 10:02 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Random Emulation Questions - Names/SWL/Systems/MAME new [Re: FennecTheFox]
#374622 - 03/11/18 10:58 PM

> 2.) Does MAME SWL not save individual game controller Cfg files? Seems when I change
> my controls in one game, they stick to the next game and when I update my controls
> for the current game they overwrite the controls for the previous game even though
> I'm using "Input [this Machine]"

Configs are still per-system. Per-softlist is an excellent idea that nobody's actually implemented yet.

> 3.) Is there no difference between the games on Neo-Geo AES/MVS? Yeah, I realize one
> is the home console and one is the arcade machine. But is there nothing different
> beyond that? Also, I know how to get blood in Metal Slug for MVS, but is there a way
> to do it in AES?

AFAIK the AES/MVS differences are very limited; that was pretty much the entire marketing message for the AES

I think if you select the Universe BIOS you can get blood for Metal Slug on both MVS and AES.

> 4.) Is this MAME compatibility list reliable? It seems to be kept up to date.
>
> http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/MAME_compatibility_list#NES

It's reasonably fair. It omits that the vast majority of NES, GBA, and SNES games do actually work fine, and the inverse text bugs on the Apple II were fixed long ago. (16-bit unaligned access on GBA is fixed now as well).

And of course development on Model 2 is rapidly outpacing what they wrote there.

FennecTheFox
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Random Emulation Questions - Names/SWL/Systems/MAME new [Re: R. Belmont]
#374644 - 03/12/18 06:24 PM

Thank you for the response.

2.) With how long MAME has been around and the amount of development that has gone into it, I'm really surprised that there aren't game-specific controller configurations for consoles.

With Arcade games > Input [this Machine] It's specific to that arcade game. If I change the controls in Street Fighter Alpha USA, that controller configuration doesn't apply to Street Fighter Alpha Euro or any other CPS2 game for that matter. I guess this confused me (not being able to set game-specific configurations for console titles.)

For me It's just very convenient to set game-specific controller configurations because my controller configurations vary from game-to-game.

3.) So by default on the AES version of Metal Slug you aren't able to toggle blood? Or It's just that in MAME you'll need the Universe BIOS to do so?

4.) Is there a laymen's explanation for what a "timing issue" is? Is this something that can impact the refresh of a game and therefore create tearing?

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#374669 - 03/13/18 08:20 AM

> So I've been reading about what the different symbols at the end of games mean.
> Example: (!) (a) (u) etc. There's a fairly long list...
>
> 1.) I know that (b) means Bad Dump, (o) means Overdump and (h) means Hack.
> -But what does it mean when there are numbers attached to the letters? Example:
> (b4) (b1), (o4), (h3) etc?
>

In the case of softlists, MAME picks up the best collections available or whatever the softlist creator sees fit. That could mean the internal filenames are named after conventions like TOSEC, redump, trurip, good sets or even the webpage filenames the dumps came from.

What you name is the goodxxx naming standard (GoodNES, GoodSNES, GoodGen, GoodPCE, etc.). When there's more than one dump type identified by the tool, it's common to attach numbers to them. So you can differ bad dump number one (b1) from bad dump number two (b2), both are bad dumps from the same game but with different data checksums.

Taking advantage of the topic I would like to ask something about the redump standard that makes me scratch my head since forever. If I have something like "Sakura Taisen 2 - Kimi, Shinitamou Koto Nakare (Japan) (Disc 1) (3M, 4M).7z" what makes it different from simply "Sakura Taisen 2 - Kimi, Shinitamou Koto Nakare (Japan) (Disc 1).7z". In resume, what do the "(nM)" convention mean?

smf
I've been here before
Reged: 01/16/15
Send PM

#374671 - 03/13/18 10:34 AM

> 3.) Is there no difference between the games on Neo-Geo AES/MVS? Yeah, I realize one
> is the home console and one is the arcade machine. But is there nothing different
> beyond that?

You couldn't easily run MVS on AES or AES on MVS so were able to stagger the release dates.

I believe the AES versions came out later and sometimes included bug fixes. It's possible they re-released the MVS versions with the same bug fixes, but it's hard to tell.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#374679 - 03/13/18 04:49 PM

> 3.) So by default on the AES version of Metal Slug you aren't able to toggle blood?
> Or It's just that in MAME you'll need the Universe BIOS to do so?

I'm not super NG-experty, but my understanding is that the point of the Universe BIOS is that it lets you unlock all that kind of stuff. If AES already has a blood switch with the normal BIOS, disregard what I said

> 4.) Is there a laymen's explanation for what a "timing issue" is? Is this something
> that can impact the refresh of a game and therefore create tearing?

The large majority of timing issues have nothing to do with screen refresh. It can mean the emulated CD-ROM drive loads data faster than the real unit, or that a multiply takes 3/1 millionths of a second instead of 4 or so on. If you're getting tearing, there are many well-documented things you can do to get rid of it, but the best one is to have a GSync or FreeSync compatible monitor, depending which brand of GPU you run.

FennecTheFox
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Random Emulation Questions - Names/SWL/Systems/MAME new [Re: BIOS-D]
#374682 - 03/13/18 05:07 PM

> > So I've been reading about what the different symbols at the end of games mean.
> > Example: (!) (a) (u) etc. There's a fairly long list...
> >
> > 1.) I know that (b) means Bad Dump, (o) means Overdump and (h) means Hack.
> > -But what does it mean when there are numbers attached to the letters? Example:
> > (b4) (b1), (o4), (h3) etc?
> >
>
> In the case of softlists, MAME picks up the best collections available or whatever
> the softlist creator sees fit. That could mean the internal filenames are named after
> conventions like TOSEC, redump, trurip, good sets or even the webpage filenames the
> dumps came from.
>
> What you name is the goodxxx naming standard (GoodNES, GoodSNES, GoodGen, GoodPCE,
> etc.). When there's more than one dump type identified by the tool, it's common to
> attach numbers to them. So you can differ bad dump number one (b1) from bad dump
> number two (b2), both are bad dumps from the same game but with different data
> checksums.
>
> Taking advantage of the topic I would like to ask something about the redump standard
> that makes me scratch my head since forever. If I have something like "Sakura Taisen
> 2 - Kimi, Shinitamou Koto Nakare (Japan) (Disc 1) (3M, 4M).7z" what makes it
> different from simply "Sakura Taisen 2 - Kimi, Shinitamou Koto Nakare (Japan) (Disc
> 1).7z". In resume, what do the "(nM)" convention mean?

========================================================

Is Goodxxx popular?
So then, you'd probably want to get rid of roms with "o" and "b" in them? Because there's something wrong with them? And go for roms with "!" and if you don't want hacks then also replace roms with "h" in them. Any other bad letters I should be wary of?

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#374687 - 03/13/18 06:26 PM

> Is Goodxxx popular?
> So then, you'd probably want to get rid of roms with "o" and "b" in them? Because
> there's something wrong with them? And go for roms with "!" and if you don't want
> hacks then also replace roms with "h" in them. Any other bad letters I should be wary
> of?

Good sets aren't popular nor common like before. However they're worth it if you're looking for game translations [T-xxx], public domain homebrew (PD) and unlicensed titles (Unl). The tool was meant to identify overdumps [ o ] and bad dumps [ b ], however instead of discouraging their collections people used that information to collect everything. Hacked ROMs [ h ] are a bit interesting because while some only showed warez group intros, some others had trainers that allowed you cheat in times emulators didn't have cheat features. Kind of worthless in current times except for the historical and nostalgic value.

If you are looking for only verified dumps and you don't want homebrew software or fan translations no-intro collections are a best alternative for you.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#374688 - 03/13/18 06:28 PM

> > Is Goodxxx popular?
> > So then, you'd probably want to get rid of roms with "o" and "b" in them? Because
> > there's something wrong with them? And go for roms with "!" and if you don't want
> > hacks then also replace roms with "h" in them. Any other bad letters I should be
> wary
> > of?
>
> Good sets aren't popular nor common like before. However they're worth it if you're
> looking for game translations [T-xxx], public domain homebrew [PD] and unlicensed
> titles [Unl]. The tool was meant to identify overdumps [o] and bad dumps , however
> instead of discouraging their collections people used that information to collect
> everything. Hacked ROMs [h] are a bit interesting because while some only showed
> warez group intros, some others had trainers that allowed you cheat in times
> emulators didn't have cheat features. Kind of worthless in current times except for
> the historical and nostalgic value.
>

there are a number of times things in the 'Goodsets' that are marked as 'verified correct' were later found not to be too, somehow, so I guess there are flaws in their verification process too.
> If you are looking for only verified dumps and you don't want homebrew software or
> fan translations no-intro collections are a best alternative for you.

FennecTheFox
MAME Fan
Send PM

#374695 - 03/14/18 03:38 AM

> > Is Goodxxx popular?
> > So then, you'd probably want to get rid of roms with "o" and "b" in them? Because
> > there's something wrong with them? And go for roms with "!" and if you don't want
> > hacks then also replace roms with "h" in them. Any other bad letters I should be
> wary
> > of?
>
> Good sets aren't popular nor common like before. However they're worth it if you're
> looking for game translations [T-xxx], public domain homebrew (PD) and unlicensed
> titles (Unl). The tool was meant to identify overdumps [ o ] and bad dumps [ b ],
> however instead of discouraging their collections people used that information to
> collect everything. Hacked ROMs [ h ] are a bit interesting because while some only
> showed warez group intros, some others had trainers that allowed you cheat in times
> emulators didn't have cheat features. Kind of worthless in current times except for
> the historical and nostalgic value.
>
> If you are looking for only verified dumps and you don't want homebrew software or
> fan translations no-intro collections are a best alternative for you.

OK, thanks, that's good to know.

When you say "game translations" I assume you're referring to games like Secret of Mana 2/Seiken Densetsu 3 which was only released in Japan but translated to English?
So [ t1 ] would mean translation attempt #1?
A game with [ b1 ] may not play all the way through because It's a bad dump? And I shouldn't bother with [ o ] either?
Yeah, I was reading about No-Intro a few days ago, but I was curious as to why Neo-Geo AES isn't included as part of No-Intro since It's a console.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#374698 - 03/14/18 06:08 AM

That's right, bad dumps and overdumps are something you shouldn't bother. Bad dumps could be incomplete data, graphic glitches or corrupted games. Overdumps could be either good or bad dumps with unnecessary random data added.

No, if you look at the table I linked before [ t ] ROMs are trainers. I was wrong then, [ h ] contain things like warez intros, harder difficulties, game changes, graphic/sound modifications, etc. The [ t ] ones load a cheat menu before starting the game.

Translations could be more than only English translations. Look at the filenames below:

Code:

Clock Tower (J) [T+BraBeta_Tradu-GameX]
Clock Tower (J) [T+Eng1.01_Aeon Genesis][h1]
Clock Tower (J) [T+Eng1.01_Aeon Genesis]
Clock Tower (J) [T+Fre]
Clock Tower (J) [T+Ger1.40_RedScorpion]
Clock Tower (J) [T+Ita100_Fray83]
Clock Tower (J) [T+Rus_Shedevr]
Clock Tower (J) [T-Eng]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+BraPre-semi-alpha_Hexagon]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+ChT1.03p]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+ChT1.0]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Eng1.01_NCorlett&LNFT,Title&SignsPatch1.01_snes-projects.de]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Eng1.01_NCorlett+LNFT][a1]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Eng1.01_NCorlett+LNFT][f1]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Eng1.01_NCorlett+LNFT][h1][f1]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Eng1.01_NCorlett+LNFT][h1]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Eng1.01_NCorlett+LNFT]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+FreRC_Terminus][a1]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+FreRC_Terminus][a2]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+FreRC_Terminus][a3]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+FreRC_Terminus]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Fre_Terminus]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Ger1.00RC3diffcolors]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Ger1.00RC3]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Ger2.00,OriginalSigns1.01_snes-projects.de]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Ger2.00,SymbolicSigns1.01_snes-projects.de]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Ger2.00_snes-projects]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Ger2.01_G-Trans]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+GerRC3][b1]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Ger_RedScorpion]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T+Spa100.2_Magno]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T-Eng1.00_NCorlett+LNFT][f1]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T-Eng1.00_NCorlett+LNFT]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T-EngTitleOnly]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T-Ger1.00(RC1)diffcolors]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T-Ger1.00(RC1)]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T-Ger1.00RC1_G-Trans]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T-Ger1.00RC2_G-Trans]
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J) [T-Spa_Magno]

As you can see there are Spanish, English, German, Portuguese (Brazil), French, Russian, Italian and Chinese fan made translations in there. Basically the only reason to keep such deprecated collections today. No-intro and redump are better options and current solutions now. Last good tool release was 2 years ago.

You won't find NEOGEO AES covered by either no-intro or good tools, MAME and all previous NEOGEO emulators from first decade of the century took care of all that. Unless you own a 486 with DOS or a Pentium III machine with Windows 2000 and you are still using NeorageX, I suggest you to use anything better than good tools.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 508 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 882