MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

JB
CHIJB55
Reged: 10/22/03
Send PM

Diffrerences in Joust White/Green label vs others?
#374397 - 03/04/18 06:26 PM

I see multiple releases of Joust for MAME:

Solid Red label
White/Green label
White/Red label

Are there differences in these games (bug fixes, etc)? And where is this mysterious "label" that they refer to? Was it on the main CPU board, etc? Curious about this.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Diffrerences in Joust White/Green label vs others? new [Re: JB]
#374401 - 03/04/18 10:43 PM

>Are there differences in these games (bug fixes, etc)?

As you mention, most likely specific bug fixes. Some of the source files in MAME source code might have the info pertaining to some of the specific sets. Going back to 1980s era, operators that register their cab purchase might get occasional company bulletin updates if wanting to upgrade the arcade game with a bug fix rom to replace a specific rom or an entire replacement pcb for replacing the old pcb. Atari and Midway would be notable companies that did this with their coinop bulletins being mailed to clients.

>Solid Red label
>White/Green label
>White/Red label

> And where is this mysterious "label" that they refer to? Was it on the main CPU board, etc?

The reference is actual stickers/labels that are adhered onto the program roms on a pcb.
On Williams games brand pcbs, the stickers would be in color instead of a revision number printed on the sticker/label.

JB
CHIJB55
Reged: 10/22/03
Send PM

Re: Diffrerences in Joust White/Green label vs others? new [Re: gregf]
#374427 - 03/06/18 08:18 PM

> > Are there differences in these games (bug fixes, etc)?
>
> As you mention, most likely specific bug fixes. Some of the source files in MAME
> source code might have the info pertaining to some of the specific sets. Going back
> to 1980s era, operators that register their cab purchase might get occasional company
> bulletin updates if wanting to upgrade the arcade game with a bug fix rom to replace
> a specific rom or an entire replacement pcb for replacing the old pcb. Atari and
> Midway would be notable companies that did this with their coinop bulletins being
> mailed to clients.
>
>
> > Solid Red label
> > White/Green label
> > White/Red label
>
> > And where is this mysterious "label" that they refer to? Was it on the main CPU
> board, etc?
>
>
> The reference is actual stickers/labels that are adhered onto the program roms on a
> pcb.
> On Williams games brand pcbs, the stickers would be in color instead of a revision
> number printed on the sticker/label.

Thanks. Always has bugged me in MAME. Appreciate the response.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Diffrerences in Joust White/Green label vs others? new [Re: JB]
#374440 - 03/07/18 01:08 PM

>> > Solid Red label
>> > White/Green label
>> > White/Red label
>
>> > And where is this mysterious "label" that they refer to? Was it on the main CPU
> board, etc?
>
>
>> The reference is actual stickers/labels that are adhered onto the program roms on a
>> pcb. On Williams games brand pcbs, the stickers would be in color instead of a revision
>> number printed on the sticker/label.

>Always has bugged me in MAME.

I didn't understand it myself until seeing actual pcb photos of some of the Williams games, then it made sense how the descriptions were used in MAME to describe variations of the Williams games.

-Mitaine-
SEGA Junkie
Reged: 10/27/13
Send PM

Re: Diffrerences in Joust White/Green label vs others? new [Re: gregf]
#374460 - 03/08/18 10:25 AM

I was curious (and a little bored) so I looked it up from history.dat :

Quote:

Red version has a default high score of 107,212 points, Green and Yellow versions have 109,102 points as the default high score. Also, the Green version fixes a well known bug that allowed you to endlessly kill Pterodactyls on certain levels, thus achieving incredible scores.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Diffrerences in Joust White/Green label vs others? new [Re: -Mitaine-]
#374480 - 03/08/18 11:22 PM

>I was curious (and a little bored) so I looked it up from history.dat

Awright. I should have checked source code file in MAME source code to see if that info was in there.

The only one revision bug that first comes to mind is Atari Asteroids when a new 9th place or higher score supercedes the 10th place which causes the 10th place score name to be truncated from 3 letters down to 2 letters. Not an easy bug for testing. It took several dollars and a bit of patience to verify that actual hardware bug. If only I had Atari Coinop news letters from 1980s, then I would have already known about that bug since it would have been mentioned along with an upgrade announcement.

I had to revisit an actual Asteroids cab to confirm that was an actual hardware bug back in 2001 in which it became a BTANB entry. Andy Welburn eventually had an Atari revision fix rom that Atari released in order to fix that bug which is now considered the parent Asteroids rom set supported in MAME.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 403 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1428