MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Any Bitcoin Billionaires here (or millionaires) ?
#374262 - 03/01/18 09:03 AM

Sooo, like lots of people here, I've been following Bitcoin and crypto developments since the early days. But, unlike so many others, I was (in hindsight) too stupid, too cautious, too skeptical to lay any money down. Back in 2010/2011, I had 2 old PCs and 2 old laptops set aside for use as mining rigs, but friends, colleagues, and especially university professors (where I do a lot of work) all talked me out of it: the electricity wont even cover what you make, its all a pyramid scam, a lot of people are going to lose a lot of money, its only used for illegal activities in places like Silk Road, etc.

So, around 2011 was when I last looked at it really closely, and I didn't think much about it until June-2017. Sure, I saw mentions on news web sites, TV, etc every now and then, usually headlines like "Bitcoin crashed again" or similar, and I often thought - "huh ? is that the same Bitcoin I looked at in 2010/2011 ? Is it really still going ?".

But, being a complete dunce, I still did not lay any money down.

Since June-2017, I have been watching things more closely. Amazed at the hysteria and frenzy, and spending hours each week in r/Bitcoin and r/Buttcoin and other subs, stirring things up when I can. (Got to have a hobby ...)

There's been a few threads in Mame World on crypto, but I don't recall seeing any for a while now.

So, did anyone here make good ?
Did you "go to the moon" ? Cash out ? Buy a lambo ?
Anybody going to hep build the new Bitcoin City in Puerto Rico ?
What do you guys and gals think about all this ?

Moose

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Any Bitcoin Billionaires here (or millionaires) ? new [Re: Moose]
#374263 - 03/01/18 09:09 AM

This has happened before. Google "Tulip Mania".

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Any Bitcoin Billionaires here (or millionaires) ? new [Re: krick]
#374270 - 03/01/18 10:36 AM

> This has happened before. Google "Tulip Mania".

Yep, no argument from me krick - I agree - and that's exactly what I've been feeling since the price started sky rocketting.

See recent posts on my web page:

• 27-Jan-2018 :: Bitcoin CRASH - is now a good time to invest in Bitcoin
  • 17-Jan-2018 :: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Raiblocks, and other CryptoCurrencies

http://moosesoftware.16mb.com

Moose

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Any Bitcoin Billionaires here (or millionaires) ? new [Re: Moose]
#374306 - 03/02/18 08:33 AM

One of my best fruends from high school talked to me about buying bitcoin. Best I understood it, it was for buying in-game purchases, which I thought was a waste of money, so I declined to follow his lead. He retired at the ripe old age of 45, having quit his “suit” job as an automotive engineer, and just dicks around playing tennis and travelling the world now, and of course busts my balls because he told me so. 😫

He regularly posts on Facebook some new diving adventure, or tennis club somewhere in the world he’s currently hanging out at. He has no kids, so he and his wife (his high school sweetheart no less) are just enjoying life.

He still recounts as one of the best days of his life was when he and his wife finally realized he no longer had to work to live well, cashed in all his bitcoins, and then going into his boss’s office to quit. They offerred him a raise to stay, and he was like “No, you don’t understand. I’m quiting.” Then they threatened that he’d never get a good reference from them, and he was like “You’re not getting it. I don’t give a fuck.” Then they pressed him for what company he was moving to, and he was like “I’M NOT. I quit. Entirely, here, and everywhere.” He says even as he was walking out, the whole department was just looking at him like he had just gone insane, still thinking he was making a big fucking mistake.

Had I listened to him, I wouldn’t have to still be setting my alarm every morning either.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Any Bitcoin Billionaires here (or millionaires) ? new [Re: GatKong]
#374310 - 03/02/18 05:07 PM

An engineer with no kids was probably close to early retirement at age 45 anyway. Getting lucky with bitcoin probably just pushed him over the top.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Any Bitcoin Billionaires here (or millionaires) ? new [Re: GatKong]
#374311 - 03/02/18 05:55 PM

Just like any average new millionaire I'm giving him 5 years before he spends all his "fortune" and needs to live in a roadhouse serving hot-dogs to keep living.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Any Bitcoin Billionaires here (or millionaires) ? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#374314 - 03/02/18 07:14 PM

If he had the balls to invest big in bitcoin then chances are he has investments all over the place that are going to grow. He probably has a diverse portfolio. You would have to be a special kind of retarded to have bitcoin be your first and only investment and then keep all your money in cash in the bank. That would be something a child might do, or someone who was broke their whole life and wins the lottery.

I never had anyone try to talk me into it. My confusion over how it works and articles I read saying its bubble creating and popping would cause the next recession and crash the economy made it look like a stupid investment. Even today I kind of hate it and would cash out now.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Any Bitcoin Billionaires here (or millionaires) ? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#374316 - 03/02/18 07:52 PM

> One of my best fruends from high school talked to me about buying bitcoin. Best I
> understood it, it was for buying in-game purchases, which I thought was a waste of
> money, so I declined to follow his lead. He retired at the ripe old age of 45, having
> quit his “suit” job as an automotive engineer, and just dicks around playing tennis
> and travelling the world now, and of course busts my balls because he told me so.
> 😫
>
> He regularly posts on Facebook some new diving adventure, or tennis club somewhere in
> the world he’s currently hanging out at. He has no kids, so he and his wife (his high
> school sweetheart no less) are just enjoying life.
>
> He still recounts as one of the best days of his life was when he and his wife
> finally realized he no longer had to work to live well, cashed in all his bitcoins,
> and then going into his boss’s office to quit. They offerred him a raise to stay, and
> he was like “No, you don’t understand. I’m quiting.” Then they threatened that he’d
> never get a good reference from them, and he was like “You’re not getting it. I don’t
> give a fuck.” Then they pressed him for what company he was moving to, and he was
> like “I’M NOT. I quit. Entirely, here, and everywhere.” He says even as he was
> walking out, the whole department was just looking at him like he had just gone
> insane, still thinking he was making a big fucking mistake.
>
> Had I listened to him, I wouldn’t have to still be setting my alarm every morning
> either.

That doesn't sound like someone savvy who invests on different things, more like someone who hit the jackpot and now is spending everything before he dies... something that obviously will happen a lot before that.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Any Bitcoin Billionaires here (or millionaires) ? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#374317 - 03/02/18 07:56 PM

It sounds exactly like an investor to me. I'm not saying every one of his investments ever were smart, but I bet he owns a lot of solid ones now. Maybe I'm wrong.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 394 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 590