MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Dear married binners, please explain
#374179 - 02/27/18 05:50 PM

I am trying to understand the benefits of marriage in 2018, and want to understand why anyone would do it other than you have 5 dollars in your pocket and the person you might marry is rich.

The reason I ask and became interested is every time I hear about a married person having an affair, I hear "they didn't break any laws" and that gets me thinking. Is it not part of a marriage contract to be faithful? So they definitely broke the contract but not the law, I guess that's it? Maybe a dumb question but I don't really care.

Why would you get married in the world of 2018? You sign a marriage contract and make vows but nothing means anything other than the richer person will lose half their stuff upon split?

Humor me and list benefits. I see, maybe you are in love and a marriage will make it way harder for them to break up with you, that could be a benefit, and I see tax benefits that I guess would be helpful if you are rich and plan to be together with that person for the rest of your life anyway, might as well take the tax break.

I do see the romance of the marriage day and honeymoon as a benefit, but it's a few days for tens of thousands of dollars. Plenty of other ways to get that type of romance, go take a trip together to Venice or something.

Anyway I would like to know what the benefits are because it looks like the stupidest thing anyone could do unless you are poor and they are rich.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Dear married binners, please explain new [Re: Smitdogg]
#374182 - 02/27/18 06:37 PM

The big reason for marriage these days is for tax purposes. But it really only benefits you if it's a single-income household. Dual income households usually make out worse tax-wise when married. There's also some benefit to marriage for spousal rights and the other stuff that the same-sex marriage folks fought for...

http://www.revelandriot.com/resources/marriage-equality/

Quote:

Hospital visitations
Child custody rights
Adoption rights
Parenting rights
Automatic inheritance
Divorce protections
Immigration law
Medicaid
Retirement plans
Social security benefits
Survivor benefits
Spousal and child support
Federal taxes / joint taxes
Exemption from property tax upon death of a spouse
Immunity from being forced to testify against one's spouse
Health insurance continuation of health coverage
Medical decision-making power on behalf of a spouse
Standing to sue for wrongful death of a spouse
Access to family insurance policies
Domestic violence protections

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Dear married binners, please explain new [Re: krick]
#374183 - 02/27/18 06:53 PM

Thanks for the reply, I guess part of my question should be "what benefits are you considering in your head" when considering marriage. Other than if you are planning to have a kid, I don't see this stuff swaying anything (maybe that's just me).

Some of the stuff would need further explaining (like the fact that anyone can get medicaid, a retirement plan, child custody, social security, health insurance etc.) but the stuff in the list is too boring for me to spend time in in-depth research. It all looks pretty "meh".

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#374193 - 02/27/18 08:03 PM

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to sell you on marriage. I'm just regurgitating a list of items that people claim are "marriage benefits". I'm not married and I probably won't ever be.

I think most of the points in that list that aren't child-related come down to money in some way. For example, if you're married, when you go to collect social security, you have the option of taking "your" amount or 1/2 of your spouse's amount which could be greater than your full amount if your spouse made a lot more than you.

Regarding health insurance, in the past, you could only add someone to your health insurance plan if they were a spouse or a dependent. Even now with most plans recognizing "domestic partners" they often charge you a financial penalty to add the person if they aren't a spouse. Also, the contribution limits for an health savings account are higher if you are married.

Regarding "retirement plans", I think that might be referring to IRAs. Consider an unmarried couple where one person works and the other doesn't. In this scenario, only the person who is working can contribute to a Roth IRA. The other person doesn't have any income so they are not allowed. However, in the same situation if they were married, then they could both contribute to a Roth IRA even though one of them has zero income. Essentially, they have a "joint income" that can be used to fund both IRAs. There's also different tax implications if you die and leave a retirement account balance to a spouse vs someone who you aren't married to.

For some people, the point of marriage is to confirm to the other person that you're serious and committed. But not everyone needs that.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

married binner here new [Re: Smitdogg]
#374205 - 02/28/18 01:48 AM

If you are asking “whats in it for me” then, imho, you’re not ready for it. Until you are thinking “I dont care whats in it for me, Im committed to this no matter what” then, yeah.

I would never marry for any financial or “benefit” related reasons, either.

And definitely don’t marry because the person makes you happy at that moment. You have to be happy within yourself, and be willing to share that happiness not for your own benefit, but for the benefit of the one you’re committing yourself to.

I used to had sworn off ever getting married, and used to to state that openly, “I would NEVER put myself through that.” Watching so many friends and people just crash and burn horribly had me convinced marriage was such a stupid institution. Then. Met my wife, and realized, I would commit myself to her, and would literally do it for better or for worse, knowing full well she could pull the rip cord and crash and burn my life at any moment. I was willing to accept that risk.

That’s where I think you are ready to marry, when you can honestly say that you are willing to commit to something bigger than yourself, where you are willing to say you will put your happiness secondary to that thing which is bigger and more important than yourself.

Its not for everyone. It wasnt even for me for years and years. And I thought it would never be for me. Then it was, just like that.

Its a crap shoot. You can only hope the person you choose thinks the same way. Cuz it only takes one of the two to ruin the whole thing, to put themselves first, and the marriage second, and ride the whole damn thing thing burning into the ground. Thats what cheating is, since you brought that up.

Could I be a deluded fool? Possibly. Could she be crashing and burning everything behind my back and I just dont know. Thats possible too. It would suck. Big time. But I knew that was a risk when I married her, and I was ok with that. Because I didnt expect to “get” anything from her to begin with.

For the record, I dont even encourage my older children to maryy. In general, I think they would be better off if they werent. But if they do, then I hope they know what they are doing, because it literally could be the worst mistake they’ll ever make in their whole life, and they will only get half-a-say over how that all goes, and they wont even know how it all worked out until its over, either by death or divorce. How crazy is that!?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: married binner here new [Re: GatKong]
#374206 - 02/28/18 02:33 AM

> If you are asking “whats in it for me” then, imho, you’re not ready for it. Until you
> are thinking “I dont care whats in it for me, Im committed to this no matter what”
> then, yeah.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not considering it, I just want to understand other people, specifically in regard to the 2018 world. If you keep going back in history it makes more and more sense I guess, like if you go back to the 50s the social pressure to get married was probably unbearable I guess.

> I would never marry for any financial or “benefit” related reasons, either.
>
> And definitely don’t marry because the person makes you happy at that moment. You
> have to be happy within yourself, and be willing to share that happiness not for your
> own benefit, but for the benefit of the one you’re committing yourself to.
>
> I used to had sworn off ever getting married, and used to to state that openly, “I
> would NEVER put myself through that.” Watching so many friends and people just crash
> and burn horribly had me convinced marriage was such a stupid institution. Then. Met
> my wife, and realized, I would commit myself to her, and would literally do it for
> better or for worse, knowing full well she could pull the rip cord and crash and burn
> my life at any moment. I was willing to accept that risk.

But why is some antiquated nonsense in a church the only form of commitment that will do? No trust? Is it that your wife told you she wanted that as the commitment piece? I feel like my word is good. If I ever tell a girl I want to be together for life, if she doesn't believe me and wants it in legal marriage writing etc. I would probably be very offended.

> That’s where I think you are ready to marry, when you can honestly say that you are
> willing to commit to something bigger than yourself, where you are willing to say you
> will put your happiness secondary to that thing which is bigger and more important
> than yourself.

But I've already been there in a relationship though (not that I think it's a healthy place to be). I think you can be there in a relationship and not be married. You're basically saying nobody can have a fully committed relationship without a church and a frankly moronic preacher reciting some very very very silly words. The whole process where you get down on a knee and buy a ring that isn't really worth anything aside from the gold's weight (everyone ever married bought a diamond and someone is telling me they are rare - I am not an idiot), then you dress up like Ken and Barbie in a church and stare at each other while a retard preacher who asks poor people for 10% of their income every week so he can spend it on himself spouts out some sort of complete bullshit pagan ritual omg I hate it! I fucking hate it lol.

> Its not for everyone. It wasnt even for me for years and years. And I thought it
> would never be for me. Then it was, just like that.
>
> Its a crap shoot. You can only hope the person you choose thinks the same way. Cuz it
> only takes one of the two to ruin the whole thing, to put themselves first, and the
> marriage second, and ride the whole damn thing thing burning into the ground. Thats
> what cheating is, since you brought that up.
>
> Could I be a deluded fool? Possibly. Could she be crashing and burning everything
> behind my back and I just dont know. Thats possible too. It would suck. Big time. But
> I knew that was a risk when I married her, and I was ok with that. Because I didnt
> expect to “get” anything from her to begin with.

What do you get though, that you couldn't get? What does the wedding change? You're saying people are not capable of achieving putting a relationship value above themselves unless there was a wedding ceremony? Maybe you're saying that women are not capable of this, or maybe simply most but not all people are this way.

> For the record, I dont even encourage my older children to maryy. In general, I think
> they would be better off if they werent. But if they do, then I hope they know what
> they are doing, because it literally could be the worst mistake they’ll ever make in
> their whole life, and they will only get half-a-say over how that all goes, and they
> wont even know how it all worked out until its over, either by death or divorce. How
> crazy is that!?

Well speaking of kids, if you're planning to have kids with someone, the whole world changes at that point, all my ideas and arguments would change. You can fuck kids up for life if the parents split up before they are, I dunno maybe 18.

anoid
Lurker
Reged: 12/05/03
Send PM

#374208 - 02/28/18 03:08 AM

This is my belief:

Marriage is not for you, it is for others. You are announcing to the world that you are committed to this person for life, and you are no longer available.

When you date, live together, or are engaged, you are making commitments to each other, only. Many people will not consider that you have a fully committed relationship until you actually marry.

A-Noid

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Dear married binners, please explain new [Re: anoid]
#374209 - 02/28/18 03:16 AM

That's even worse than my view of it.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: married binner here new [Re: Smitdogg]
#374210 - 02/28/18 03:36 AM

> But why is some antiquated nonsense in a church the only form of commitment...

Did I mention a church?

> If I ever tell a girl I want to be together for life, if
> she doesn't believe me and wants it in legal marriage writing etc. I would probably
> be very offended.

I totally get that. I personally would equate a "life-bond" and marriage as one in the same, "legally" registered or no.

> You're basically saying nobody can have a fully committed relationship without a church

Where does this church reference keep coming from?

> What do you get though, that you couldn't get?

Heh. See my opening statement [If you are asking “whats in it for me” then, imho, you’re not ready for it.]

> What does the wedding change?

It's just a public ceremony to openly acknowledge the relationship. It is clearly important to people. That's why the LGBT community fights for this right too. You don't have to be public about it, but you should have the right to if the couple so chooses.

> Well speaking of kids, if you're planning to have kids with someone, the whole world
> changes at that point, all my ideas and arguments would change. You can fuck kids up
> for life if the parents split up before they are, I dunno maybe 18.

Agreed. Especially if the two people are hateful and spiteful. Suppoosedly they loved each other.. what happened? Life, I guess. There are no right answers. No wrong answers. Just answers, and the outcomes that follow, good or bad.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: married binner here new [Re: GatKong]
#374211 - 02/28/18 03:58 AM

> > But why is some antiquated nonsense in a church the only form of commitment...
>
> Did I mention a church?

I assume most people are still getting married in churches by preachers. I watch too many movies...

> > If I ever tell a girl I want to be together for life, if
> > she doesn't believe me and wants it in legal marriage writing etc. I would probably
> > be very offended.
>
> I totally get that. I personally would equate a "life-bond" and marriage as one in
> the same, "legally" registered or no.
>
> > You're basically saying nobody can have a fully committed relationship without a
> church
>
> Where does this church reference keep coming from?

Probably my subconscious disdain for them... I retract all the church stuff (for the discussion), maybe most people don't get married in them anymore and I was wrong.

> > What do you get though, that you couldn't get?
>
> Heh. See my opening statement [If you are asking “whats in it for me” then, imho,
> you’re not ready for it.]

I'm not saying that I'm even trying to become ready for it so you aren't understanding my intentions or question I guess. What I'm saying I want to understand other people's decisions and thoughts. It doesn't matter what I'm ready to do - all I'm asking is to be educated about how other people are. I know myself fine.

> > What does the wedding change?
>
> It's just a public ceremony to openly acknowledge the relationship. It is clearly
> important to people. That's why the LGBT community fights for this right too. You
> don't have to be public about it, but you should have the right to if the couple so
> chooses.

I want to know specifically why it is important to people, the reasons so I can understand other people better. For LGBTQ it's probably about law equality (partially) and the other part, whatever it is is probably the same reasons for straight people, but what are those reasons exactly that I'm asking that someone list out for me. I don't want "it's important". I want "it's important because x and x and x".

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Aziz knows all new [Re: Smitdogg]
#374215 - 02/28/18 05:25 AM

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Aziz knows all new [Re: GatKong]
#374216 - 02/28/18 05:27 AM

Awesome!

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: married binner here new [Re: Smitdogg]
#374219 - 02/28/18 06:51 AM

> Well speaking of kids, if you're planning to have kids with someone, the whole world
> changes at that point, all my ideas and arguments would change. You can fuck kids up
> for life if the parents split up before they are, I dunno maybe 18.

My parents got divorced when I was three. I think I still turned out fine. Probably would have been worse if they stayed together.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: married binner here new [Re: krick]
#374220 - 02/28/18 07:07 AM

I think you actually got (a little) lucky that it happened that early. I don't even have memory from 3. You never knew anything different. If you have a complete family first and it rips apart in your face that probably does the most damage. I promise you it can fuck kids up. My parents split when I was 9, my brother was 10. I don't want to explain other than, if I had kids, well I'm not going to do that but let's just say my brother was expelled from school within roughly 2 years (expelled at 12 or 13) and developed serious anger issues that fucked him up to about age 40 even with occasional therapy. Sure there are kids, maybe like you, who it doesn't affect much, but that's not your dice to roll.

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

Re: Aziz the rapist rapes all -NT- new [Re: GatKong]
#374243 - 02/28/18 10:08 PM

He's a rapist.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Oh piss off -NT- new [Re: mike20599]
#374246 - 02/28/18 11:20 PM

> He's a rapist.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 246 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 580