Pages: 1

JonathanK
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/25/18
Send PM

Hardware Analysis
#373424 - 01/26/18 12:56 AM

Hi.

I'm in the process of setting up my first MAME machine, and I'd like to get feedback on the hardware I currently have.

I have a standard sized arcade machine with JAMMA wiring.

Right now I'm in the process of attempting to get my CRT monitor that came with the arcade fixed, so I'm using a LCD.

If the CRT is fixed, I plan on putting it back in the arcade, if not, I'm going to look for a better LCD (less wide screen, better viewing angles, lower response time, etc).

Since the arcade has a JAMMA harness and wiring, I plan on using a j-pac.

I'd like to be able to run as many as possible arcade games; non-arcade games (console emulation) is not a priority for me.

Right now the computer I was going to use has the following specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ .80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM : 8GB
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 SE

Would the above specs be sufficient for playing arcade games with a Hyperspin front end?

I know that if I do end up using the CRT, I'll need to replace the video card as it's my understanding that the one I have isn't compatible with the required resolution.

If that's the case I will replace the card with one that supports emudriver.

Any thoughts on the above specs and suggestions for a video card replacement would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

SteelTigers
STRAT Fan
Reged: 12/23/17
Send PM

Re: Hardware Analysis new [Re: JonathanK]
#373428 - 01/26/18 02:13 AM

Depends on the arcade game, the early arcade machines will run like a champ, but some of the later stuff will probably tax it to the point of dropping frames and suffer from audio lag. Your system should do fine, but you cant expect it to run 60fps on everything you throw at it.

Take some pics, would be cool to see your progress. I am working on my own cab as well.

-Steel

JonathanK
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Hardware Analysis new [Re: SteelTigers]
#373431 - 01/26/18 03:39 AM

Will do on pics.

What do you think the biggest bottleneck is? Graphics card, CPU, both?

TIA

SteelTigers
STRAT Fan
Reged: 12/23/17
Send PM

#373434 - 01/26/18 05:13 AM

> Will do on pics.
>
> What do you think the biggest bottleneck is? Graphics card, CPU, both?
>
> TIA

GPU, hands down. However I would wait before a purchase and test the performance your getting with your current setup. Most mame emulated arcade machines that use the Z80 & 6502 CPU's will run just fine on your PC. It's the newer 68000 and up arcade CPU's, that will start to crunch your system...

JonathanK
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Hardware Analysis new [Re: SteelTigers]
#373441 - 01/26/18 09:01 AM

> > Will do on pics.
> >
> > What do you think the biggest bottleneck is? Graphics card, CPU, both?
> >
> > TIA
>
> GPU, hands down. However I would wait before a purchase and test the performance your
> getting with your current setup. Most mame emulated arcade machines that use the Z80
> & 6502 CPU's will run just fine on your PC. It's the newer 68000 and up arcade CPU's,
> that will start to crunch your system...

I'd be interested in seeing which arcades used which CPU's (just from curiosity's sake. Do you know if a list exists of which arcade's had which CPU?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#373442 - 01/26/18 09:39 AM

The 2.8GHz CPU is going to be the bottleneck. MAME is almost entirely dependent on CPU power.

If your motherboard supports it, you might want to consider trying to overclock it. You'll need to get an aftermarket cooler, of course. Don't try overclocking this CPU with the stock Intel cooler.

I've seen overclocking guides that claim that you have a good chance at getting to 4.0GHz with that CPU if you disable hyperthreading and bump up the voltage a bit.

Google "Intel Core i7 860 overclock" for lots of info.

If you get the CRT fixed and you want to try GroovyMAME and CRT Emudriver, pick up an AMD Radeon HD 5000 or newer card. It's convenient if it has a VGA port for connecting to the JPAC without an adapter.

I think this card would work well (and it's fanless too)...
MSI Radeon HD 6450
$42.99 after rebate
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814127738

If you want something a little more recent, this is a good choice...
GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 2 Series Radeon R7 240
$59.99
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125516

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1042