MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: Weekend Roundup [updated]
#373091 - 01/14/18 08:52 PM

Kale got NEW Moero!! Pro Baseball Homerun Derby running, thanks again to the donators.

SHVB dumped Ring of Destruction: Slam Masters II (940902 BRAZIL), but I think it's a hacked version.

SpinalFeyd dumped Otakara Itadaki Luffy Kaizoku Dan.

Sugoi Helsinki sent us an alt version of Samurai Spirits Zero.

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/dumping/union.html

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: Weekend Roundup new [Re: Smitdogg]
#373092 - 01/14/18 09:14 PM

> Kale got NEW Moero!! Pro Baseball Homerun Derby running, thanks again to the
> donators.
>
> http://mamedev.emulab.it/kale/fast/files/0001_3350094021.png
>
>
> SHVB dumped Ring of Destruction: Slam Masters II (940902 BRAZIL), but I think it's a
> hacked version.
>

It's definitely a region hack of the Hispanic set. Only the region byte and checksum changed, handwritten labels. They say they have 2, but it sounds like somebody figured out how to change this and just converted some Hispanic ones.

I mean it could be added as a bootleg / hack, but it's definitely not the real Brazilian set in this case.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Weekend Roundup new [Re: Haze]
#373093 - 01/14/18 09:23 PM

The issue (for me) is who made it and do you call something a hack even if an official Capcom office did the hacking or some office they license through. Romstar/Capcom USA did it with CPS1 parts (Nightmare Tony told me about it) and there are similar stories out of Mexico for the CPS1/2 era. Even the B board for Pang 3 looks like some sort of licensed Mexican bootleg. On Mighty Pang they didn't change the code but just slapped on an orange shell, kind of hacky choices.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#373096 - 01/14/18 09:55 PM

> The issue (for me) is who made it and do you call something a hack even if an
> official Capcom office did the hacking or some office they license through.
> Romstar/Capcom USA did it with CPS1 parts (Nightmare Tony told me about it) and there
> are similar stories out of Mexico for the CPS1/2 era. Even the B board for Pang 3
> looks like some sort of licensed Mexican bootleg. On Mighty Pang they didn't change
> the code but just slapped on an orange shell, kind of hacky choices.

Am Mexican, can confirm regional companies did some shady shit back in the day. Still do!

I would add that CPS2 set as a "Hack?" with a note in the source about its origin and stating that it might be an official release but cannot be confirmed.

Haze
Send PM

#373097 - 01/14/18 10:03 PM

> The issue (for me) is who made it and do you call something a hack even if an
> official Capcom office did the hacking or some office they license through.
> Romstar/Capcom USA did it with CPS1 parts (Nightmare Tony told me about it) and there
> are similar stories out of Mexico for the CPS1/2 era. Even the B board for Pang 3
> looks like some sort of licensed Mexican bootleg. On Mighty Pang they didn't change
> the code but just slapped on an orange shell, kind of hacky choices.

Given the 'quality' of the Strider that was explained away with the story, yes, it's still a hack / bootleg even if it's of their own game.

Even if said things were made in Capcom's office, it was clearly made by somebody with no understanding of the game or code or anything else, it barely even works and is full of bugs from because whoever did it had no access to the original gamecode and missed a ton of protection checks.

Just because something happens within a company doesn't make it official.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#373098 - 01/14/18 10:09 PM

> Just because something happens within a company doesn't make it official.

This is exactly where it gets hairy. You could argue everything Capcom does is official. I would guess regardless of your points, actual Capcom employees would tell you you're wrong (and "too big for your britches").

Haze
Send PM

#373099 - 01/14/18 10:11 PM

> > Just because something happens within a company doesn't make it official.
>
> This is exactly where it gets hairy. You could argue everything Capcom does is
> official. I would guess regardless of your points, actual Capcom employees would tell
> you you're wrong (and "too big for your britches").

Well people like to overstep their authority all the time.

Whoever made it should probably just have been sacked to be honest.

But no, just because the janitor decides to hack a ROM while at work doesn't make it official and that's essentially what some of these stories add up to.

Same way not all views expressed by members of Mamedev are representative of the team, nor are the team responsible for actions of individual members (otherwise Robbbert would have already jeopardized the whole thing by ignoring the license the way he did)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#373100 - 01/14/18 10:14 PM

>
> Whoever made it should probably just have been sacked to be honest.

You think Capcom should have gotten upset about how Portuguese was enabled to increase sales because 20 years later it wouldn't fit into an emulator with the same code change characteristics?

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#373106 - 01/15/18 03:09 AM

> Kale got NEW Moero!! Pro Baseball Homerun Derby running, thanks again to the
> donators.
>
> http://mamedev.emulab.it/kale/fast/files/0001_3350094021.png
>
>
> SHVB dumped Ring of Destruction: Slam Masters II (940902 BRAZIL), but I think it's a
> hacked version.
>
>
> SpinalFeyd dumped Otakara Itadaki Luffy Kaizoku Dan.
>
>
> http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/dumping/union.html

Had no idea there was an arcade game for One Piece, one of Japan's all time classic animes.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Weekend Roundup new [Re: Master O]
#373107 - 01/15/18 03:11 AM

It's a medal game. There's probably a medal game for everything like this.

SpinalFeyd
Reged: 11/09/17
Send PM

#373111 - 01/15/18 06:09 AM

It would seem these medal games are very popular in japan.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: DU: Weekend Roundup new [Re: SpinalFeyd]
#373117 - 01/15/18 06:42 PM

> It would seem these medal games are very popular in japan.

...and in Japan only !
You know, they are NOT even games... ...at all !!!

Haze
Send PM

Re: DU: Weekend Roundup new [Re: CTOJAH]
#373118 - 01/15/18 06:57 PM

> > It would seem these medal games are very popular in japan.
>
> ...and in Japan only !
> You know, they are NOT even games... ...at all !!!

Well they provide entertainment, albeit in a bite-sized chunk.

Depends what your definition of a game is really tho, and while it's true they offer no real test of skill and exist more or less only to provide a visual experience while turning your money into something that is worth less than your money,I know plenty of people who would still consider that to be a game, especially these days.

My most recent arcade experiences was with a younger group who exclusively referred to things like this as games and weren't interested in any of the other ones that didn't give them anything (tokens, tickets, novelty prizes) in exchange for them 'playing' on them.

But anyway, all that just makes them even more interesting to emulate IMHO, finding out what the win/lose conditions really are and such.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 224 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1093