View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

ArcadeG
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/21/17
Send PM

Undumped Arcades?
#372636 - 01/01/18 10:14 PM

there are a lot of arcade games here that need to be in mame https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyVgyaV16xM

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: Undumped Arcades? new [Re: ArcadeG]
#372637 - 01/01/18 11:09 PM

Well putting aside whether the games should be in MAME or not, i really enjoyed the tour cracking Arcade that one

Arcade Addict

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

List of Galloping Ghosts undumped/needed games as of late 2017 new [Re: ArcadeG]
#372643 - 01/02/18 01:58 AM

From the video these are the dumps mame/community lacks:

1- Deathstalker (too new, one of a kind, I doubt they want to dump it right now)
2- RC2 (one of a kind, I doubt they want to dump it right now)
3- Trog prototype, I think it's different from the protos in mame, might be a one of a kind
4- Skycurser (too new to dump, probably won't be a problem to get someone to dump it when it's old)
5- Silent Hill (maybe it's an export/non Japan version, Japan version is secured; will probably never run full speed in mame in our lifetime)
6- Castlevania (needed but will probably never run full speed in mame in our lifetime)
7- Chimera Beast - I guess it might have a bprom that needs to be dumped, but it's probably a conversion using a faked bprom
8- Gun Survivor 2 (needed for redumps)
9- Horizontal version Q-Bert Cubes prototype PCB (talked about but not shown)
10- Arena (https://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Arena_/_Hexus)
11- Tattoo Assassins cab from warehouse, so maybe undumped version, also we need the sound roms dumped either way
12- Beavis and Butthead - are roms used? custom boot rom? I don't know the hardware, also could be a different disc revision from whatever is dumped)
13- Team Laser is a prototype so likely to be a different revision within proto time period
14- Prototype Narc with level where you fly a helicopter
15- Somewhere between 15-50 undumped clones including ones mentioned above

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: List of Galloping Ghosts undumped/needed games as of late 2017 new [Re: Smitdogg]
#372644 - 01/02/18 02:05 AM

> From the video these are the dumps mame/community lacks:
>
> 11- Argus (shown around 54:27) one of a kind, not the same as Argus game in mame

isn't it just
"argusg Argus (Gottlieb, prototype)"
which seems pretty much finished anyway...

> 12- Tattoo Assassins cab from warehouse, so maybe undumped version

I'd like to see a redump of the sound roms from one of these anyway, there are some really nasty sounds in there that distort / cut off other audio, and for all the world look like bad samples in the rom.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: List of Galloping Ghosts undumped/needed games as of late 2017 new [Re: Haze]
#372645 - 01/02/18 02:07 AM

I'll update the list, I'm sure you're right, I just did a one pass. BTW it's worth it to watch the video, I've never seen a collection of cabs this good and you will probably catch more info.

uVSthem
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/06/11
Send PM

Re: List of Galloping Ghosts undumped/needed games as of late 2017 new [Re: Smitdogg]
#372664 - 01/02/18 05:52 PM

I'm really interested in that Narc level.

roloway
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/09/07
Send PM

Re: List of Galloping Ghosts undumped/needed games as of late 2017 new [Re: uVSthem]
#375802 - 04/24/18 09:31 PM

Ha! I just discovered this video and was about to post it. Has anyone been able to talk to the owner of Galloping Ghost Arcade?

Edited by roloway (04/24/18 09:32 PM)

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Totally a non-contributory reply new [Re: ArcadeG]
#375815 - 04/25/18 05:12 AM

But, was it last year, I made a road trip from Texas to The Galloping Ghost Arcade with an old high school chum o’ mine. Was a super cool time. Didn’t plan it but ran into Jeff Lee of Q Bert artist fame. He was super cool too, and that made the whole trip even that much more worth it.

Played every cab in the place (that worked) at least once. The entire collection is not all out on the floor at once. They rotate cabs in and out, like the video says, with a new cab reveal every Monday. It’s not like the Monday reveals are new aquires every Monday. Makes sense, so you have to keep going back to see all the rare cool old cabs in total.

I’d be up for another road trip if a group of y’all old school MAMErs were all in.

simzy
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/06/10
Loc: Colombia, south america
Send PM

#378517 - 09/10/18 01:57 AM

They have a list of their 660 games on their website:
https://www.gallopingghostarcade.com/games-list/

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: List of Galloping Ghosts undumped/needed games as of late 2017 new [Re: simzy]
#378523 - 09/10/18 07:55 PM

The list is not very useful in regard to undumped. It doesn't have Deathstalker, mention of Narc being a special proto version, mention Qbert Cubes being a needed version etc.

simzy
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/06/10
Loc: Colombia, south america
Send PM

#378525 - 09/10/18 09:38 PM

I am Australian, but I travel a lot, and I might be living in Chicago again in 10 days for three months in the suburbs near this arcade.

Not sure what I should do; doubt the owner even wants to get these pcbs dumped.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: List of Galloping Ghosts undumped/needed games as of late 2017 new [Re: simzy]
#378526 - 09/10/18 09:45 PM

Yes they know about mame, if they wanted them dumped they would get them dumped.

Haze
Send PM

#378528 - 09/10/18 10:34 PM

> Yes they know about mame, if they wanted them dumped they would get them dumped.

I have a feeling it will be one of those places that accidentally ends up burning to the ground, with everything lost, before that happens.

just like various piers and old arcades have over here, hate to think how many versions of things were lost because of disasters like that.

apparently some businesses can't even get their insurance provider to cover running of anything with a CRT here these days...

uVSthem
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: List of Galloping Ghosts undumped/needed games as of late 2017 new [Re: Haze]
#378536 - 09/11/18 03:54 PM

I would assume they've dump the roms but have not made them public.

Edited by uVSthem (09/11/18 03:54 PM)

Haze
Send PM

Re: List of Galloping Ghosts undumped/needed games as of late 2017 new [Re: uVSthem]
#378537 - 09/11/18 04:05 PM

> I would assume they've dump the roms but have not made them public.

you'd be surprised (or not) by how many times that doesn't work out because people make mistakes that then don't get verified properly until it's too late.

(likewise people making their own backups, but not realising the backups they make are just as prone to failure, poorly documented, done to faulty media, incomplete, or kept onsite, these things happen far too often - a lot of really old MAME dumps suffered from this as prior to emulation people missed dumpable devices on boards and they've never been seen since)

uVSthem
MAME Fan
Send PM

#378538 - 09/11/18 04:28 PM

What do you think their reasoning is for not releasing the roms? Would it kill the flow of paying visitor that come to the site? Do they not have permission from the developers who donated the roms?

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#378539 - 09/11/18 06:46 PM

>What do you think their reasoning is for not releasing the roms?

Some of the staff probably would guess MAME is already emulating some of the games and wouldn't be interested? .....

> Would it kill the flow of paying visitor that come to the site?

.....but more likely to be this scenario because "We are the only ones who have it" and maybe to add on....."You won't find these at CA Extreme" shows either.

I would like to believe the folks would want to ensure 'some' of the games can be preserved later, but making money and staying in business is priority and tops on the list. That can only last so long to a point because many of the younger/future generations probably wouldn't have same interest in going there and the business might eventually fold.

In summer 2017, I went to an arcade (Manitou Springs, CO) and many of the video games (no 1970s era video games left standing compared to 2001), a few 1980s video games and a fair amount of 1990s and post 2000 AD video games that had no kids nor adults playing them compared to non-video screen redemption games. A tell tale sign that the arcade video games era (non-redemption style) is over and the redemption style arcade video games is probably just barely hanging on these days.

Haze has previously posted in the past about the scenario with future generations interest won't be the same with video arcade games and the 2017 visit to Arcade Amusements business site pretty much matches what Haze had posted.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: List of Galloping Ghosts undumped/needed games as of late 2017 new [Re: gregf]
#378541 - 09/11/18 09:14 PM

Just replying to the whole thread... They aren't in the preservation business. I'm sure they've backed up virtually everything and they know exactly what's in mame and have used it many times to fix their boards (and probably even the previous PCB owners of their games did as well).

They want to be the only place to play some games just like CAX does. Let's not pretend they live in a bubble where mame isn't a thing. It's the world's single backup archive for arcade game data and they are an arcade. It's just that they want to be the only ones just like CAX does.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Conflict of Interest new [Re: Smitdogg]
#378546 - 09/12/18 12:55 AM

There's a fundamental conflict of interest between historical preservation and collecting. Collectors (as opposed to hoarders) only increase the value of their items by making them as scarce and hard-to-get as possible. They're not interested at all in preservation. The same applies to Galloping Ghost. I AM really glad someone pointed out that they only have a limited set of cabinets available to play at any given time because I was contemplating making a trip--I'm not wasting the gas now.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 324 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3192