MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

New Firefox browser.
#371020 - 11/17/17 02:10 PM

What do you think about this redone version?

Even though it doesn't support the addons that I used. Password backup and restore tool. QuickJava blocker tool. DownThemAll tool. Useless now. Adblock Plus still works.

Bookmarks and History moved to the left side now.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: New Firefox browser. new [Re: Dullaron]
#371021 - 11/17/17 03:46 PM

> What do you think about this redone version?
>
> Even though it doesn't support the addons that I used. Password backup and restore
> tool. QuickJava blocker tool. DownThemAll tool. Useless now. Adblock Plus still
> works.
>
> Bookmarks and History moved to the left side now.

until it supports NoScript properly I can't use it.

NoScript is my #1 internet security tool.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: New Firefox browser. new [Re: Dullaron]
#371022 - 11/17/17 03:49 PM

Supposedly being faster does not at all make up for removing support for the extensions/addons I used. Apparently there is no way to get the same features in this. At all.

Chrome doesn't do it either.

SecretAgentMan
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Illinois (Central)
Send PM

Re: New Firefox browser. new [Re: Haze]
#371023 - 11/17/17 04:08 PM

> > What do you think about this redone version?
> >
> > Even though it doesn't support the addons that I used. Password backup and restore
> > tool. QuickJava blocker tool. DownThemAll tool. Useless now. Adblock Plus still
> > works.
> >
> > Bookmarks and History moved to the left side now.
>
> until it supports NoScript properly I can't use it.
>
> NoScript is my #1 internet security tool.

I'm waiting for NoScript and a few other addons to be updated as well.

"Go crazy, folks! Go crazy!"

Jack Buck

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: New Firefox browser. new [Re: SecretAgentMan]
#371026 - 11/17/17 04:38 PM

> > > What do you think about this redone version?
> > >
> > > Even though it doesn't support the addons that I used. Password backup and
> restore
> > > tool. QuickJava blocker tool. DownThemAll tool. Useless now. Adblock Plus still
> > > works.
> > >
> > > Bookmarks and History moved to the left side now.
> >
> > until it supports NoScript properly I can't use it.
> >
> > NoScript is my #1 internet security tool.
>
> I'm waiting for NoScript and a few other addons to be updated as well.

I'm not even sure they will be. From the sounds of it the new plugin system doesn't give the level of control needed for some of them to work.

There appear to be 2 noteworthy forks, PaleMoon, which is based off an Ancient version and seems very crappy with compatibility issues with a lot of sites these days, and WaterFox which is based on an older, but not quite so ancient version but generally works with most sites as long as they don't use DRM content (as it seems to intentionally remove support for that)

I guess the other option is to turn update off in Firefox, but then you're guaranteed no security updates in other areas of the code, so that's probably the worst option.

There seems to be literally no reason to use the new FireFox over Chrome or anything else tho, things like NoScript and the other extensions were the thing that actually made it a worthwhile browser, one that gave me the level of control I wanted. Beyond the browser wars these are actually quite worrying times, because I don't want to be forced onto a browser that can't do the basic things I need it to just to maintain compatibility with newer sites.

If they were so adamant the old plugin system needed killing they should have taken it upon themselves to provide suitable replacements for all the major plugins because all they've done now is make it a browser not worth using.

SecretAgentMan
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Illinois (Central)
Send PM

#371027 - 11/17/17 05:08 PM

> > > > What do you think about this redone version?
> > > >
> > > > Even though it doesn't support the addons that I used. Password backup and
> > restore
> > > > tool. QuickJava blocker tool. DownThemAll tool. Useless now. Adblock Plus still
> > > > works.
> > > >
> > > > Bookmarks and History moved to the left side now.
> > >
> > > until it supports NoScript properly I can't use it.
> > >
> > > NoScript is my #1 internet security tool.
> >
> > I'm waiting for NoScript and a few other addons to be updated as well.
>
> I'm not even sure they will be. From the sounds of it the new plugin system doesn't
> give the level of control needed for some of them to work.
>
> There appear to be 2 noteworthy forks, PaleMoon, which is based off an Ancient
> version and seems very crappy with compatibility issues with a lot of sites these
> days, and WaterFox which is based on an older, but not quite so ancient version but
> generally works with most sites as long as they don't use DRM content (as it seems to
> intentionally remove support for that)
>
> I guess the other option is to turn update off in Firefox, but then you're guaranteed
> no security updates in other areas of the code, so that's probably the worst option.
>
> There seems to be literally no reason to use the new FireFox over Chrome or anything
> else tho, things like NoScript and the other extensions were the thing that actually
> made it a worthwhile browser, one that gave me the level of control I wanted. Beyond
> the browser wars these are actually quite worrying times, because I don't want to be
> forced onto a browser that can't do the basic things I need it to just to maintain
> compatibility with newer sites.
>
> If they were so adamant the old plugin system needed killing they should have taken
> it upon themselves to provide suitable replacements for all the major plugins because
> all they've done now is make it a browser not worth using.

Right, I have five addons marked as Legacy which I really need (well I want them) so I am waiting to see if they can be either be updated or if I can find replacements before I update. I do agree with you about the old plugin system and how they should have provided suitable replacements.

"Go crazy, folks! Go crazy!"

Jack Buck

acdacd
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/08/08
Send PM

Re: New Firefox browser. new [Re: SecretAgentMan]
#371030 - 11/17/17 07:16 PM

Why not use Firefox ESR ?
Old browser, new security patches.

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: New Firefox browser. new [Re: acdacd]
#371031 - 11/17/17 07:32 PM

> Why not use Firefox ESR ?
> Old browser, new security patches.

I will give that one a try.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

#371033 - 11/17/17 07:59 PM

> There appear to be 2 noteworthy forks, PaleMoon, which is based off an Ancient
> version and seems very crappy with compatibility issues with a lot of sites these
> days, and WaterFox which is based on an older, but not quite so ancient version but
> generally works with most sites as long as they don't use DRM content (as it seems to
> intentionally remove support for that)

Try SeaMonkey. It's the descendant of the old Mozilla Suite, so it also includes mail/newsgroup support, but you can use just the browser.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#371041 - 11/18/17 02:47 AM

I turned off updates. I only use FF, not Chrome. I guess I'll use 0.56 until it no longer works. I don't understand why they had to kill the usefulness of the best plug-ins. Fuckers!

Guess I'll go back to IE.

Dullaron
Send PM

Yay new [Re: Dullaron]
#371043 - 11/18/17 05:03 AM

I got it back the way I want it.

One problem that I notice. Loading is off by a few seconds.

Also can't make this default browser for some reason. Not on the Windows 10 browser list.

I must've got the unstable version.

Edit: I gonna switch back to the newer one. Much faster than this.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 289 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1003