MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Mega Man 2.5D
#370151 - 10/06/17 05:02 PM

http://petersjostrand.com/index.php

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Mega Man 2.5D new [Re: Dullaron]
#370157 - 10/06/17 07:42 PM

> http://petersjostrand.com/index.php

Oh good, another moron who will become the Internet's cause celebre when he inevitably gets sent a Cease & Desist letter and takes his grievance to the professional pearl-clutchers at Kotaku. Could've easily made his own platformer game in a 2.5D style, but nooooooo. Gotta ride the coattails of some other game in order to, what, get more ad revenue on his site? Get more mindshare by using some other company's creation as a trampoline? Aces.

Sacrilego
Reged: 09/10/05
Send PM

Re: Mega Man 2.5D new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#370166 - 10/07/17 02:00 AM

I was thinking the same thing just a few days ago, but not just about games, but also youtubers and even music.
It feels like originality has gone out the window and replaced with re-hashes, remixes, re-masters re-re-re-re... using other's properties and then when they get the lawyers knocking down their door, they cry about how unfair it is without wanting to accept that it was not their property to begin with.
Whatever happen to the days of shareware and demos where they could just show off their talent.
Maybe I'm just getting old, now excuse me while I yell at some kids to get off my lawn and disappear back into the shadows.

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: Mega Man 2.5D new [Re: Sacrilego]
#370170 - 10/07/17 03:48 AM

> I was thinking the same thing just a few days ago, but not just about games, but also
> youtubers and even music.
> It feels like originality has gone out the window and replaced with re-hashes,
> remixes, re-masters re-re-re-re... using other's properties and then when they get
> the lawyers knocking down their door, they cry about how unfair it is without wanting
> to accept that it was not their property to begin with.
> Whatever happen to the days of shareware and demos where they could just show off
> their talent.
> Maybe I'm just getting old, now excuse me while I yell at some kids to get off my
> lawn and disappear back into the shadows.

I double dare someone report it to Capcom.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Mega Man 2.5D new [Re: Dullaron]
#370171 - 10/07/17 04:11 AM

> I double dare

https://youtu.be/a2Q-9BZ76mQ

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: Mega Man 2.5D new [Re: B2K24]
#370172 - 10/07/17 04:18 AM

> > I double dare
>
> https://youtu.be/a2Q-9BZ76mQ

Man they are trying so hard. LOL

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

#370332 - 10/14/17 10:15 PM

I think these people actually believe that because they are such big fans (probably pirated all these games) of the series they have a right to do whatever they want.

It's kind of like how certain males treat their wives.

TServo2049
Lurker
Reged: 11/24/03
Send PM

#370338 - 10/15/17 02:39 PM

This has actually been up for months. Neither this nor Mega Man Maker has gotten taken down by Capcom (yet). It tends to be Nintendo who brings the hammer down swiftest and hardest.

I agree, homages that don't make use of others' IP are better; for example, something like Retro City Rampage is much more interesting than if it just remained Grand Theft Nintendo.

Maybe some people don't have that kind of creativity, but I also think the C&Ds and sudden takedowns still feel like a bit of a jerk move. If they're not going to be laissez-faire with fan games and/or encourage them and/or hire the developers to make an officially sanctioned fan game like with Sonic Mania, then there's got to be a nicer way to tell them to stop using their IPs, and encourage them to come up with their own characters and settings, rather than abruptly pull the plug on it completely.

Hell, some of these companies (looking at you Nintendo) could probably afford to buy these people off by writing them a check to fund the design of new non-derivative assets (though this would never happen, since it would inevitably also lead to people abusing the system by starting fan game projects just to get noticed and paid off by the IP holders).

anikom15
Send PM

Re: Mega Man 2.5D new [Re: TServo2049]
#370341 - 10/15/17 09:12 PM

C&D is just a letter and is as polite a way as possible to ensure protection of the IP. The other choices are risking the IP rights or getting courts involved.

TServo2049
Lurker
Reged: 11/24/03
Send PM

Re: Mega Man 2.5D new [Re: anikom15]
#370345 - 10/16/17 12:01 AM

Yeah, you're right. Even if it does make them out to be the bad guy, suing them would certainly cause more problems.

I think it just gets people most upset when the official products coming out are perceived as inferior to the fan projects (e.g., AM2R getting a takedown right when Federation Force was releasing, Prelude to Axanar getting shut down and then us getting Star Trek Discovery, etc.), or there are no new official projects coming out at all (e.g., the Streets of Rage Remake takedown). There is an attitude of "If they can't/won't do the property justice (by our standards), then why do they deserve the right to stop us" which even if emotionally satisfying, is still legally incorrect.

Sonic Mania does really feel like the best-case scenario response to fans who think they can do better, and the final product was well received (ignoring controversies which had nothing to do with the game itself).

anikom15
Send PM

Re: Mega Man 2.5D new [Re: TServo2049]
#370453 - 10/20/17 08:20 PM

This is a common fan fallacy. Companies want their product to reach a wider audience, so they need to make something different. It's a risk, but when it pays off, it pays off greatly (e.g. Fire Emblem Awakening). Now, a more 'fan-oriented' game can certainly be successful, but I've seen games criticized for being too similar to predecessors. Nostalgia has a way of keeping the fans attached to the older games anyway.

In this industry it's easier to get new fans than to please the old ones, esp. if your property is very old.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 541 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1691