MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jasd
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/15/10
Send PM

double wings Soundlatch modernization?
#369125 - 08/29/17 10:21 AM

AJR,do you have plan look at the double wings Soundlatch modernization?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: double wings Soundlatch modernization? new [Re: jasd]
#369126 - 08/29/17 10:31 AM

> AJR,do you have plan look at the double wings Soundlatch modernization?

jasd, do you even know what sound-latch modernization is?

jasd
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: double wings Soundlatch modernization? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#369128 - 08/29/17 10:46 AM

> > AJR,do you have plan look at the double wings Soundlatch modernization?
>
> jasd, do you even know what sound-latch modernization is?

the driver has sound CPU seems to miss commands sometimes,maybe related the Soundlatch modernization

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#369140 - 08/29/17 01:57 PM

> > > AJR,do you have plan look at the double wings Soundlatch modernization?
> >
> > jasd, do you even know what sound-latch modernization is?
>
> the driver has sound CPU seems to miss commands sometimes,maybe related the
> Soundlatch modernization

the problem is you start spamming people and forums with crap every time this is mentioned.

yes, something is presumably wrong with the maincpu <-> soundcpu comms in that game.

it also applies to other Data East games with a Z80 sound CPU and similar setup, for example the Z80 version of Fighters History will miss some commands, while the 6280 version will not.

I guess there's a chance it was a hardware / software design flaw, which is why some games existed with both CPU types (in which case, it's never going to be fixed in MAME)

Of course some of the 6280 DECO games have other issues, like the music tempo changes.

but spamming people about it won't help.

jasd
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: double wings Soundlatch modernization? new [Re: Haze]
#369143 - 08/29/17 02:32 PM

> > > > AJR,do you have plan look at the double wings Soundlatch modernization?
> > >
> > > jasd, do you even know what sound-latch modernization is?
> >
> > the driver has sound CPU seems to miss commands sometimes,maybe related the
> > Soundlatch modernization
>
> the problem is you start spamming people and forums with crap every time this is
> mentioned.
>
> yes, something is presumably wrong with the maincpu <-> soundcpu comms in that
> game.
>
> it also applies to other Data East games with a Z80 sound CPU and similar setup, for
> example the Z80 version of Fighters History will miss some commands, while the 6280
> version will not.
>
> I guess there's a chance it was a hardware / software design flaw, which is why some
> games existed with both CPU types (in which case, it's never going to be fixed in
> MAME)
>
> Of course some of the 6280 DECO games have other issues, like the music tempo
> changes.
>
> but spamming people about it won't help.
I'm sorry,I don't want spamm anymore,I only offer advance

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: double wings Soundlatch modernization? new [Re: Haze]
#369154 - 08/29/17 11:38 PM

Quote:

yes, something is presumably wrong with the maincpu <-> soundcpu comms in that game.

Just a heads up i fiddled about with the IRQ commands in this driver a while back and
noticed outta the three present by changing two of them from Assert Clear to Assert Hold
the music will never cutout when starting a level or returning to it after losing a life.

Obviously a cheap hack though

Arcade Addict

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: double wings Soundlatch modernization? new [Re: gamez fan]
#369155 - 08/30/17 12:10 AM

> yes, something is presumably wrong with the maincpu <-> soundcpu comms in that
> game.
>
>
> Just a heads up i fiddled about with the IRQ commands in this driver a while back and
> noticed outta the three present by changing two of them from Assert Clear to Assert
> Hold
> the music will never cutout when starting a level or returning to it after losing a
> life.
>
> Obviously a cheap hack though

well, yes.. very much a cheap hack, that's forcing it to take an extra interrupt with a hacky auto-ack for every single sound command..

beyond gross.

AJR Hacker
MAME Developer
Reged: 02/01/16
Send PM

#369190 - 08/30/17 07:32 PM

Double Wings wasn't on my list, but I indeed found something to improve with the soundlatch handling. The sound writes are obfuscated through a DECO 104 protection ASIC, which used to be the reason the game was not working in MAME for a long time. That turned out to be a red herring; it looks more like the sound code wants command writes to take priority over a constant barrage of timed interrupts from the YM2151. The old code was acknowledging soundlatch writes on every IRQ, no matter what the source, which is probably not how that was supposed to work. Some sound-related mysteries still exist, but overall it looks like a slight improvement.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1035