MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Diet Go Go Fan
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/06
Send PM

help converting BXY and BSQ files to 2MG.
#366873 - 06/17/17 07:01 PM

There is a website that has many PD Apple IIGS games, but they are all in .BXY, or .BSQ formats which MAME can't read. I am running Windows, and have CiderPress, which can read .BXY, but not .BSQ. When I use CiderPress, it turns .BXY images into 800KB images in .PO format, which MAME can't read either. I am looking for a way to get the games into a format MAME can read. The only format MAME can read appears to be .2MG 801KB in size.

Edited by Diet Go Go Fan (06/17/17 07:02 PM)

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: help converting BXY and BSQ files to 2MG. new [Re: Diet Go Go Fan]
#366874 - 06/17/17 07:10 PM

> There is a website that has many PD Apple IIGS games, but they are all in .BXY, or
> .BSQ formats which MAME can't read. I am running Windows, and have CiderPress, which
> can read .BXY, but not .BSQ. When I use CiderPress, it turns .BXY images into 800KB
> images in .PO format, which MAME can't read either. I am looking for a way to get the
> games into a format MAME can read. The only format MAME can read appears to be .2MG
> 801KB in size.

unless I'm mistaken the first two of those aren't disk image formats, but just a container containing the compressed assets for the game like a zip or a 7z file? (it's also possible they contain a disk image rather than loose files, but obviously they could contain anything)

if so, not surprising MAME can't run them

.PO should be a disk image format tho, not sure why MAME doesn't support that.

for PD software such scenarios aren't too uncommon as you were expected to extract the archives on the original machines, a lot of Amiga software is compressed and distributed as LHA for similar reasons.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: help converting BXY and BSQ files to 2MG. new [Re: Diet Go Go Fan]
#366878 - 06/17/17 11:52 PM

> There is a website that has many PD Apple IIGS games, but they are all in .BXY, or
> .BSQ formats which MAME can't read. I am running Windows, and have CiderPress, which
> can read .BXY, but not .BSQ. When I use CiderPress, it turns .BXY images into 800KB
> images in .PO format, which MAME can't read either. I am looking for a way to get the
> games into a format MAME can read. The only format MAME can read appears to be .2MG
> 801KB in size.

Are you certain you are using the correct floppy drive in the Apple IIGS emulation to boot those? That machine is set up so that -floppy1 and -floppy2 are actually Apple II drives. You need to use -floppy3 or -floppy4 to run those GS only floppy images. It is an easy mistake to make, I made it myself testing the system. Check the -listmedia output below:

SYSTEM MEDIA NAME (brief) IMAGE FILE EXTENSIONS SUPPORTED
---------------- --------------------------- -------------------------------
apple2gs floppydisk1 (flop1) .do .dsk .bin .po .nib .fdi .td0 .imd .cqm .d77 .d88 .1dd
floppydisk2 (flop2) .do .dsk .bin .po .nib .fdi .td0 .imd .cqm .d77 .d88 .1dd
floppydisk3 (flop3) .dsk .img .image.po .dc .2img .2mg .fdi .td0 .imd .cqm .d77 .d88 .1dd
floppydisk4 (flop4) .dsk .img .image.po .dc .2img .2mg .fdi .td0 .imd .cqm .d77 .d88 .1dd

Diet Go Go Fan
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/06
Send PM

Re: help converting BXY and BSQ files to 2MG. new [Re: Haze]
#366893 - 06/18/17 05:13 PM

Thank you. MAME does support the .PO disk format after all. After I installed CiderPress on my computer, all Apple 2 disc formats just say CiderPress disc image regardless of what the actual format is. I thought I was making .PO disc images, but wasn't. I can now make .PO images.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 490 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1381