MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: Victorious
#366586 - 06/06/17 02:02 AM Attachment: vic.png 49 KB (0 downloads)

ArcadeHacker and Andrew Welburn got Victory running. There seems to still be bits of understanding not yet there so I don't know if the emulation is perfect, but it's running.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Tornadoboy
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/09/11
Loc: Massachusetts
Send PM

Re: DU: Victorious new [Re: Smitdogg]
#366593 - 06/06/17 07:42 AM

YES!!!!!!

I was starting to think both boards were a lost cause and the EPROM sets were hopelessly damaged and/or missing parts, as always it's awesome to see another incredibly rare game saved! Great work guys!!

Is this from the encrypted board, the bootleg, or both? Did you have to physically dissect that evil security module? And was that empty socket a missing EPROM or did it turn out not to be needed?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Victorious new [Re: Tornadoboy]
#366594 - 06/06/17 07:52 AM

My halfass understanding

-original is now thought to be complete
-bootleg code was used to reverse the original
-original uses XORs that were reversed, so I guess the protection module created that
-rom 5 does it in the bootleg?, or the rom 5 in the bootleg isn't used?
-random reads with gameplay aren't understood and currently faked with value set to null

Tornadoboy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366595 - 06/06/17 07:54 AM

> -original is now thought to be complete

SWEET!

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#366599 - 06/06/17 10:13 AM

> ArcadeHacker and Andrew Welburn got Victory running. There seems to still be bits of
> understanding not yet there so I don't know if the emulation is perfect, but it's
> running.

hmm, interesting, I thought with the original board not working properly it was almost certainly missing that rom, especially when the bootleg had one there.

maybe instead the bootleg just had a little bit of extra code shoved in an extra ROM for coin counters or something (like some bootlegs made by Inder)

or it's used later and the game will just catastrophically fail after this point ;-) (pretty sure that's the problem with 'Super Wing' for example)

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

#366604 - 06/06/17 05:23 PM

This looks like an early version of Sky Kid just over the sea unless it does land as well,so probably that's where the idea came from. It's very nice to see working when things was missing, so bootlegs are good for fixing things that's missing. I just hope it can make the game fully playable & not fail at some point in time. This game was given full CPR with Doctors that wasn't giving up. LOL.

Great work to all those involved. THANKS

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Victorious new [Re: agard]
#366605 - 06/06/17 08:12 PM

The issue/worry at this point is if the game is looking for special values to guide gameplay and we're just setting them all to null, even if the game never fails it isn't going to be running correctly. It's like missing a C-Chip in a Taito game and then writing code to simulate it based on watching the game run.

Haze
Send PM

#366608 - 06/06/17 10:22 PM

> The issue/worry at this point is if the game is looking for special values to guide
> gameplay and we're just setting them all to null, even if the game never fails it
> isn't going to be running correctly. It's like missing a C-Chip in a Taito game and
> then writing code to simulate it based on watching the game run.

well the code that's reading all over address space just seems buggy to me, rather than it trying to read anything useful from that area, and I haven't seen any legitimate accesses to that area, so maybe we're good.. maybe.

pull request is up anyhow
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/pull/2368

Edited by Haze (06/06/17 10:24 PM)

Tornadoboy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: DU: Victorious new [Re: Haze]
#366611 - 06/06/17 11:28 PM

What's the status of the bootleg? I thought I read somewhere that some of the EPROMs were bad, which would be a shame.

Haze
Send PM

#366612 - 06/06/17 11:36 PM

> What's the status of the bootleg? I thought I read somewhere that some of the EPROMs
> were bad, which would be a shame.

it was redumped, but yes, comparing the code it's bad

however, aside from having this extra 'rom 5' the code for the bootleg looks like it should be 100% identical to the original, just already decrypted, the only bits that differ look like bitrot, it's not actually very interesting.

since the game doesn't even seem to use this rom5 (unless it does later in the game) maybe that one was just leftover from whatever the original game was before conversion...

chances are the bad roms will just be replaced with ones decrypted from the original, fixing the bitrot.. as for rom 5, I guess it will remain listed as it was on the PCB...

Haze
Send PM

#366613 - 06/06/17 11:54 PM

It's probably also worth mentioning that it's basically the same game as Orbitron but with different graphics, that one is set in space...

Tornadoboy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366614 - 06/07/17 12:12 AM

Interesting. I just checked out Orbitron and I get the impression it's a graphics hack of Victory, not the other way around, because notice on the radar screen it shows what looks like three ships rather than the one big spaceship you're controlling. Also in attract mode right before the title screen it seems to show the same logo for Comsoft that's printed on that black security module.
If it is a hack of Victory I wonder if there's anything that can be learned from the code?

Haze
Send PM

#366615 - 06/07/17 12:16 AM

> Interesting. I just checked out Orbitron and I get the impression it's a graphics
> hack of Victory, not the other way around, because notice on the radar screen it
> shows what looks like three ships rather than the one big spaceship you're
> controlling. Also in attract mode right before the title screen it seems to show the
> same logo for Comsoft that's printed on that black security module.

I think it's a newer game, they probably retooled it for Signatron or something after Victory didn't do too well.

but yes, it seems to have also been developed by Comsoft, and there's even still a Comsoft copyright in the ROM, so I've documented that.

Tornadoboy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366616 - 06/07/17 12:17 AM

Here's a Youtube video of Orbitron for those whom are curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmX884IF30s

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2371