Pages: 1

eisert3
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/03/17
Send PM

Help with mame please
#366526 - 06/03/17 07:39 PM

Hello,

I need a little help getting started. I use to have MAME a while back and it took quite a bit of trial and error to get things the way I liked them. MAME32 I believe it was. Wanting to get running again (or jumping rather as I am a huge DK fan) I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.

I have a new laptop computer, HP 15 notebook running windows 10 Microsoft edge.

Question 1. I blindly installed MAME 64 version 0.185. At first it would crash to desktop and then stay on after the 2nd attempt. I tried several ways to uninstall it and now for some reason it boots right up. However I think I tampered with some files. I just want to completely uninstall it and all files and for the life of me can't find a way. Please help.

Question 2. I was reading that recently MAME partnered up and now you can play other types of games on the same emulator. Does that include all versions of MAME?

Question3. My main purpose is to play Donkey Kong but I have children as well. We are all gamers. What is the best version of MAME for me to play my DK and the kids to have a wide variety of not only arcade games but system games as well like the article I read?

Any help at all on any of the questions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Help with mame please new [Re: eisert3]
#366568 - 06/05/17 01:26 PM

> I have a new laptop computer, HP 15 notebook running windows 10 Microsoft edge.
>
> Question 1. I blindly installed MAME 64 version 0.185. At first it would crash to
> desktop and then stay on after the 2nd attempt. I tried several ways to uninstall it
> and now for some reason it boots right up. However I think I tampered with some
> files. I just want to completely uninstall it and all files and for the life of me
> can't find a way. Please help.

MAME like many other emulators don't come packaged in an installer. It comes as a self-extracting 7z archive but that's it. Just delete the folder you unpacked the files and everything will be erased. If you didn't extract the content into an empty folder you will need to delete them by hand. The common behavior is to grab the package from mamedev.org, create an empty directory with the downloaded file there and extract it in the same location.

>
> Question 2. I was reading that recently MAME partnered up and now you can play other
> types of games on the same emulator. Does that include all versions of MAME?
>

It hasn't partnered up at all. MAME (Multiple Archive Machine Emulator) since 1998 had a less known brother project called MESS (Multi Emulator Super System) who shared the same functions but was focused in emulating old computers, handhelds and game consoles. Two years ago MESS disappeared as it's now formerly part of MAME itself. That means MAME can not only emulate Donkey Kong arcade version, but also the many ports it was available. It also emulates screenless devices such as electronic board games, electronic toys and calculators. The most recent additions were Nintendo Game&Watch titles.

> Question3. My main purpose is to play Donkey Kong but I have children as well. We are
> all gamers. What is the best version of MAME for me to play my DK and the kids to
> have a wide variety of not only arcade games but system games as well like the
> article I read?
>

There aren't many versions of MAME actually. There exist some versions that strip everything but the arcade games, someone else could help you with that as I don't use MAME derivatives. Because of what mentioned in the previous question, the amount of emulated listed titles can be overwhelming and hard to find what you are looking for. Vanilla MAME works fine, just make sure to grab a good front-end. I don't use them either, someone else could help you about that. QMC2 is quite popular.

eisert3
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/03/17
Send PM

Re: Help with mame please new [Re: BIOS-D]
#366569 - 06/05/17 03:50 PM

That explained a lot thank you for your time

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 192 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1122