Pages: 1

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Nintendo Game & Watches art?
#366441 - 05/31/17 09:12 AM

Is there external artwork/overlays somewhere for the new Game and Watch games?

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Nintendo Game & Watches art? new [Re: John IV]
#366459 - 05/31/17 10:14 PM

> Is there external artwork/overlays somewhere for the new Game and Watch games?

I get the impression they are still in the process of identifying LCD segments for the final art.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: Nintendo Game & Watches art? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#366468 - 06/01/17 07:15 PM

> > Is there external artwork/overlays somewhere for the new Game and Watch games?
>
> I get the impression they are still in the process of identifying LCD segments for
> the final art.

Great news!!!! They are scanning the actual Game&Watch screens to put them under the characters! That is awesome!!

I really hope that those Game&Watch games get a near perfect 'emulation' in MAME. These games are incredibly fun to play and will be a very nice addition to the MAME library.

I really hope they also scan the devices, so we can use them as overlays to play the games the way they were meant to be played.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Nintendo Game & Watches art? new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#366473 - 06/01/17 10:52 PM

> > > Is there external artwork/overlays somewhere for the new Game and Watch games?
> >
> > I get the impression they are still in the process of identifying LCD segments for
> > the final art.
>
> Great news!!!! They are scanning the actual Game&Watch screens to put them under the
> characters! That is awesome!!
>
> I really hope that those Game&Watch games get a near perfect 'emulation' in MAME.
> These games are incredibly fun to play and will be a very nice addition to the MAME
> library.
>
> I really hope they also scan the devices, so we can use them as overlays to play the
> games the way they were meant to be played.

also the artwork ends up in the romsets as .svg files for these, as they're considered an essential part of making them function. obviously that means the romset might change over time if somebody makes higher quality vectors for them, but it also means that they're more likely to be used 'correctly'

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Nintendo Game & Watches art? new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#366480 - 06/02/17 02:12 AM Attachment: kcontra.png 792 KB (1 downloads)

So at some point they will look like kcontra. That's so nice.

I didn't notice about svg files already included into the binary. Somehow I had the impression LCD segments required external artwork too. The kcontra.zip artwork I have has PNG files for them. It was a surprise removing the artwork file the only thing missing was the background.

EDIT: I screwed it again. As Haze said svg files aren't considered artwork files but part of the romset ifself. So that's how it finds them now. I should really check my facts before talking.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by BIOS-D (06/02/17 06:10 AM)

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Re: Nintendo Game & Watches art? new [Re: Haze]
#366483 - 06/02/17 04:18 AM

> > > > Is there external artwork/overlays somewhere for the new Game and Watch games?
> > >
> > > I get the impression they are still in the process of identifying LCD segments
> for
> > > the final art.
> >
> > Great news!!!! They are scanning the actual Game&Watch screens to put them under
> the
> > characters! That is awesome!!
> >
> > I really hope that those Game&Watch games get a near perfect 'emulation' in MAME.
> > These games are incredibly fun to play and will be a very nice addition to the MAME
> > library.
> >
> > I really hope they also scan the devices, so we can use them as overlays to play
> the
> > games the way they were meant to be played.
>
> also the artwork ends up in the romsets as .svg files for these, as they're
> considered an essential part of making them function. obviously that means the romset
> might change over time if somebody makes higher quality vectors for them, but it also
> means that they're more likely to be used 'correctly'

I like this.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#366490 - 06/02/17 07:37 AM

> Is there external artwork/overlays somewhere for the new Game and Watch games?

Man two of those are hard to play without the background art while the other two I had no problem playing.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Nintendo Game & Watches art? new [Re: Haze]
#366496 - 06/02/17 01:46 PM

> also the artwork ends up in the romsets as .svg files for these, as they're
> considered an essential part of making them function. obviously that means the romset
> might change over time if somebody makes higher quality vectors for them, but it also
> means that they're more likely to be used 'correctly'

For what it's worth, there's an intentional difference between the internal SVGs, which (if memory serves) are just vectorized versions of the LCD segments, and the actual surrounding and background artwork that would have gone along with such handhelds.

The former is necessary to be playable, the latter is necessary for the full retro nostalgia experience. I'm sure people will make great artwork in time, though.

An interesting question this raises is what Nintendo's opinion will be about all this, since this is truly the first legitimate, accurate, emulation of the Game & Watch series. Even the Game & Watch (Gallery) series on the Game Boy and Game Boy Color were just recoded versions of the games.

Nintendo have made it clear that they do acknowledge even their most retro titles, given the "Mister Game & Watch" character in the Smash series and their trophies that acknowledge their earliest arcade titles, and I can only hope that, despite being a very traditional Japanese company, they might reach out to the MAME team about using its emulation of the Game & Watch handhelds in some productive manner. I haven't looked into the license tags specifically, but if hap's work is done under BSD-3-Clause, then it's conceivable that all the pieces are already under a license amenable to commercial use.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#366497 - 06/02/17 01:48 PM

> EDIT: I screwed it again. As Haze said svg files aren't considered artwork files but
> part of the romset ifself. So that's how it finds them now. I should really check my
> facts before talking.

Don't beat yourself up about it. The point is you're happy about the recentish work on handhelds, and that's great.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Nintendo Game & Watches art? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#366498 - 06/02/17 01:58 PM

> Nintendo have made it clear that they do acknowledge even their most retro titles,
> given the "Mister Game & Watch" character in the Smash series and their trophies that
> acknowledge their earliest arcade titles, and I can only hope that, despite being a
> very traditional Japanese company, they might reach out to the MAME team about using
> its emulation of the Game & Watch handhelds in some productive manner. I haven't
> looked into the license tags specifically, but if hap's work is done under
> BSD-3-Clause, then it's conceivable that all the pieces are already under a license
> amenable to commercial use.

That would certainly be nice, but it doesn't seem like a very Nintendo attitude, just look at the NES Classic, even with a wide selection of modern license compatible emulators they went with a 1995-level-knowledge emulator complete with horrendous sound delay etc. It's an insult to the hard work done by so many people over the years, worse still, it sold like it was made of pure gold or something so they have no reason to do better. Even the emulators running on a Pi run rings around it, and you know I'm not the kind of person to ever recommend one of those.

The anti-emulation scene is deep with that one.

If there's one thing I like it's that all these free emulators set a standard and most companies realise that if they're coming out with their own products they have to come close to that. Nintendo would rather ignore it and show what things would be like if there was no emulation scene.

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Re: Nintendo Game & Watches art? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#366509 - 06/03/17 12:53 AM

> > also the artwork ends up in the romsets as .svg files for these, as they're
> > considered an essential part of making them function. obviously that means the
> romset
> > might change over time if somebody makes higher quality vectors for them, but it
> also
> > means that they're more likely to be used 'correctly'
>
> For what it's worth, there's an intentional difference between the internal SVGs,
> which (if memory serves) are just vectorized versions of the LCD segments, and the
> actual surrounding and background artwork that would have gone along with such
> handhelds.
>
> The former is necessary to be playable, the latter is necessary for the full retro
> nostalgia experience. I'm sure people will make great artwork in time, though.
>
> An interesting question this raises is what Nintendo's opinion will be about all
> this, since this is truly the first legitimate, accurate, emulation of the Game &
> Watch series. Even the Game & Watch (Gallery) series on the Game Boy and Game Boy
> Color were just recoded versions of the games.
>
> Nintendo have made it clear that they do acknowledge even their most retro titles,
> given the "Mister Game & Watch" character in the Smash series and their trophies that
> acknowledge their earliest arcade titles, and I can only hope that, despite being a
> very traditional Japanese company, they might reach out to the MAME team about using
> its emulation of the Game & Watch handhelds in some productive manner. I haven't
> looked into the license tags specifically, but if hap's work is done under
> BSD-3-Clause, then it's conceivable that all the pieces are already under a license
> amenable to commercial use.

Nintendo actually reissued a facsimile of one of the Game & Watch systems some time ago which had the side-effect of asserting their ownership, i.e. of the systems themselves, not just the Game & Watch character.

So yes they do acknowledge their old products. They also continue to sell playing cards.

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#366632 - 06/07/17 05:33 PM

The only reason kcontra still has external artwork is because our svg support doesn't do images yet.

OG.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#367549 - 07/05/17 06:14 PM

Looks like we're starting to get some background images, Mario Brothers and the Cement factory have art now at tip of trunk. Thanks all!

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#367550 - 07/05/17 06:46 PM

> Looks like we're starting to get some background images, Mario Brothers and the
> Cement factory have art now at tip of trunk. Thanks all!

More soon.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 380 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3211