MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Mentski
One Credit Chump
Reged: 08/25/07
Send PM

After Burner/Thunder Blade z80 ROMS with extended/melody music.
#366195 - 05/20/17 07:50 AM

Hello, peoples.

So when M2 decided to make 3D versions of Sega's old super scaler games over the last few years, they liked to "enhance" these emulated ports with extra music that they found in the Sega archives that for whatever reason was cut out of the original, starting with Galaxy Force.

Sadly with Galaxy Force, this music was streamed rather that emulated to save resources, but from After Burner on, they had enough of a grip on the 3DS hardware to emulate the sound hardware instead, which helped cut down the download size.

This means that the 3DS versions of After Burner and Thunder Blade contain z80 ROMs of the unabridged music.

(OutRun has extra music, too, made specifically for that release, but because it adds additional tracks to the game, rather than the track-for-track replacements of the other two, uses extensive patching to make it available in the music select.)

Anyway, I bring this up as these z80 ROMs have been extracted and patched, thanks to ctr from VGMRips.

The After Burner ROM has been floating about for a good year, whilst the Thunder Blade one was left unextracted until I contacted ctr last week, and provided him with the files needed to sort that one too for my own "selfish needs".

The question is: Are these any good for inclusion in MAME or not in this day and age?

I know certain guidelines for inclusion have changed over the years, but considering the addition of the "lost" English version of Monster Land from Virtual Console (which I believe was also down to M2 rummaging through the Sega archives), and unofficial patches like OutRun Enhanced, I thought it might be worth telling you guys these ROMs exist, knowing that a handful of MAMEdevs haunt this forum...

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: After Burner/Thunder Blade z80 ROMS with extended/melody music. new [Re: Mentski]
#366203 - 05/20/17 03:55 PM

Even if its not a candidate for the official version of MAME, I am sure its something HBmame would be interested in...

cmonkey
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/26/13
Send PM

Re: After Burner/Thunder Blade z80 ROMS with extended/melody music. new [Re: jonwil]
#366206 - 05/20/17 06:48 PM

> Even if its not a candidate for the official version of MAME, I am sure its something
> HBmame would be interested in...

Chris White, the author of Out Run Enhanced, released After Burner 2 Enhanced over a month ago. This contains the extra tracks from the 3DS version of the game plus a whole load of other fixes and enhancements and should be coming to HBMAME soon (hopefully)

http://reassembler.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/afterburner-2-enhanced-edition.html

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: After Burner/Thunder Blade z80 ROMS with extended/melody music. new [Re: cmonkey]
#366469 - 06/01/17 08:00 PM

Somewhat related:

Anyone know here the LayOut outrun track editor can be downloaded? Existing dropbox link is long expired.

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Re: After Burner/Thunder Blade z80 ROMS with extended/melody music. new [Re: yaggy]
#366470 - 06/01/17 08:16 PM

https://github.com/djyt/layout

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: After Burner/Thunder Blade z80 ROMS with extended/melody music. new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#366471 - 06/01/17 08:30 PM

Thanks, I had downloaded the source code but I am too inept to compile it, I must be doing something wrong. I have visual studio but clearly this simple task is beyond me.

Edited by yaggy (06/01/17 08:32 PM)

cmonkey
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: After Burner/Thunder Blade z80 ROMS with extended/melody music. new [Re: yaggy]
#366474 - 06/01/17 11:24 PM

LayOut is a QT cross-platform project (https://www.qt.io/qt5-5/). Install QT 5.5, open the LayOut.pro project file from the layout/src directory in the QT IDE and build.

smf
I've been here before
Reged: 01/16/15
Send PM

Re: After Burner/Thunder Blade z80 ROMS with extended/melody music. new [Re: Mentski]
#366553 - 06/04/17 05:32 PM

> (OutRun has extra music, too, made specifically for that release, but because it adds
> additional tracks to the game, rather than the track-for-track replacements of the
> other two, uses extensive patching to make it available in the music select.)

Is that available anywhere? And has the sample rom been extracted?

cmonkey
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: After Burner/Thunder Blade z80 ROMS with extended/melody music. new [Re: smf]
#366555 - 06/04/17 06:09 PM

> Is that available anywhere? And has the sample rom been extracted?

Out Run 3DS was released in the UK eShop on 12th March 2015. By 23rd March I'd extracted the 2 new tunes from the binary and hooked the first one of them into the Out Run Z80 audio rom :-

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/secret-extra-tune-found-in-out-run_topic344294_page1.html

I then worked with Porchy to add both the new tunes to the arcade rom by means of a replacement of the 64Kb Z80 rom with a new 128Kb one on a carrier board. This was necessary as the 2 new tunes wouldn't fit into the original 64Kb rom alongside the existing 3 tunes. Porchy did the necessary alterations to the Z80 address decoder GAL and designed and had manufactured the rom carrier board and I did the alterations to the Z80 and 68000 code. To select the new tunes simply put the gear shifter into the HI position and steer left and right on the music selection screen. The whole lot was completed by the 26th March and it's been running in my cab ever since. At the same time the fixed PCM audio ROM was extracted from the 3DS binary.

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/topic344386_post891792.html#891792

Of course none of this would have been possible without the power of MAME and its debugger to assist along the way. So thanks a million to every single MAMEdev out there who's ever contributed to the project, no matter how small their contribution.

Edited by cmonkey (06/04/17 06:10 PM)

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: After Burner/Thunder Blade z80 ROMS with extended/melody music. new [Re: cmonkey]
#366556 - 06/04/17 06:37 PM

> > Is that available anywhere? And has the sample rom been extracted?

> ... At the same
> time the fixed PCM audio ROM was extracted from the 3DS binary.

Is this "fixed" PCM rom the one with the CRC32 of 37598616? That one when I've seen it has a file date from 2014, which implies it is older than the 3DS Outrun release, and probably doesn't match.

Where can I find the 3DS 'fixed' ROM? I've been hunting for it for quite a while, and the scene which knows how to depack/decrypt 3ds eshop releases to extract data from them seems quite private, as I don't even know where to start asking about this sort of thing.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

cmonkey
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: After Burner/Thunder Blade z80 ROMS with extended/melody music. new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#366557 - 06/04/17 08:00 PM

The crc32 of the fixed PCM sample rom in the 3DS binary is c2de09b2

Drop me a PM and I'll email it to you and you can compare the difference in the samples from the original rom and the one you've got from 2014 (which I assume was built using the .bsdiff in the OR Enhanced package) in a program like Audacity.

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

#366580 - 06/06/17 12:34 AM

> The crc32 of the fixed PCM sample rom in the 3DS binary is c2de09b2
>
> Drop me a PM and I'll email it to you and you can compare the difference in the
> samples from the original rom and the one you've got from 2014 (which I assume was
> built using the .bsdiff in the OR Enhanced package) in a program like Audacity.

That is indeed the correct/original recovered-from-dev-machine sega sample rom! Wow! I wasn't sure I'd ever see that...

Is the rom patch set for the modified version of outrun with the extra two music tracks and different pal for z80 banking available anywhere, btw?

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

cmonkey
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: After Burner/Thunder Blade z80 ROMS with extended/melody music. new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#366584 - 06/06/17 01:10 AM

>
> That is indeed the correct/original recovered sega sample rom! Wow! I wasn't sure I'd
> ever see that...
>
> Is the rom patch set for the modified version of outrun with the extra two music
> tracks and different pal for z80 banking available anywhere, btw?
>
> LN

Apologies to the original poster as this thread is veering completely off its original topic....

I never made the patches publicly available but you're more than welcome to them. I spoke with Chris White about including them in OR Enhanced but we both decided that wasn't a good idea as adding the new tunes to the game involves hardware modifications to the board (replacement of Z80 rom with a larger one on a new carrier board and alteration of Z80 rom strapping) whereas OR Enhanced is intended to be purely a software enhancement, requiring nothing other than burning 4 new main cpu roms.

In order to get both the new OR 3DS tracks into the game you'll need the 128Kb rom carrier board from Porchy (he's probably got a few left from the initial batch he had made). If you just want to add one of the two new tracks then you can simply use a standard 28-pin 64Kb rom and alter the rom strapping from 32Kb to 64Kb, this is because there's enough space for 1 extra tune in a 64Kb rom but you'll need to step up to a 128Kb rom and utilise rom banking to add both new tunes. The updated JED for the Z80 address decoding GAL, as modified by Porchy, is included in the archive.

The new audio patches are built on top of the current OR Enhanced patch set which will allow you to enable/disable whichever patches you want/don't want.

I have to say a huge thanks to Porchy for helping me realise this crazy project, without his expertise in hardware I couldn't have done it. Thanks Jon!

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#366585 - 06/06/17 01:22 AM

> >
> > That is indeed the correct/original recovered sega sample rom! Wow! I wasn't sure
> I'd
> > ever see that...
> >
> > Is the rom patch set for the modified version of outrun with the extra two music
> > tracks and different pal for z80 banking available anywhere, btw?
> >
> > LN
>
> Apologies to the original poster as this thread is veering completely off its
> original topic....
>
> I never made the patches publicly available but you're more than welcome to them. I
> spoke with Chris White about including them in OR Enhanced but we both decided that
> wasn't a good idea as adding the new tunes to the game involves hardware
> modifications to the board (replacement of Z80 rom with a larger one on a new carrier
> board and alteration of Z80 rom strapping) whereas OR Enhanced is intended to be
> purely a software enhancement, requiring nothing other than burning 4 new main cpu
> roms.
>
> In order to get both the new OR 3DS tracks into the game you'll need the 128Kb rom
> carrier board from Porchy (he's probably got a few left from the initial batch he had
> made). If you just want to add one of the two new tracks then you can simply use a
> standard 28-pin 64Kb rom and alter the rom strapping from 32Kb to 64Kb, this is
> because there's enough space for 1 extra tune in a 64Kb rom but you'll need to step
> up to a 128Kb rom and utilise rom banking to add both new tunes. The updated JED for
> the Z80 address decoding GAL, as modified by Porchy, is included in the archive.
>
> The new audio patches are built on top of the current OR Enhanced patch set which
> will allow you to enable/disable whichever patches you want/don't want.
>
> I have to say a huge thanks to Porchy for helping me realise this crazy project,
> without his expertise in hardware I couldn't have done it. Thanks Jon!

as long as what is needed for it to work gets documented then I see no harm in things being out there.

but obviously for general purpose use the Enhanced kit is easier to make use of and the one operators are most likely to install to work around the issues in the original game (especially Free Play etc.)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2599