View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

asasega
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/08/09
Send PM

mame aviwrite
#365934 - 05/11/17 07:34 PM

Is it possible to set the resolution of aviwrite?
I ask this because for example: mame treats the playstation as a 640x480 machine, but a lot of games on psx are 320x240 so the file generated by aviwrite will be a 640x480 res video but only a quarter of that will be occupied by the game video itself because of the game lower resolution

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: mame aviwrite new [Re: asasega]
#365936 - 05/11/17 08:01 PM

> Is it possible to set the resolution of aviwrite?
> I ask this because for example: mame treats the playstation as a 640x480 machine, but
> a lot of games on psx are 320x240 so the file generated by aviwrite will be a 640x480
> res video but only a quarter of that will be occupied by the game video itself
> because of the game lower resolution

-snapsize HEIGHTxWIDTH

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: mame aviwrite new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#365981 - 05/12/17 06:37 PM

Is it possible to move from the AVI format to MKV? I ask this because mkv is an open source format and is more modern and way better than avi (not very compact though).

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: mame aviwrite new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#365983 - 05/12/17 06:59 PM

mkv and avi are just containers.

MKV files usually have MPEG-4 video with AC3 or AAC audio.

AVI can also have MPEG-4 video with AC3 / AAC audio tracks.

afaik, MAME records uncompressed video and audio, and stores them in a AVI file.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: mame aviwrite new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#365995 - 05/12/17 09:38 PM

> mkv and avi are just containers.
>
> MKV files usually have MPEG-4 video with AC3 or AAC audio.
>
> AVI can also have MPEG-4 video with AC3 / AAC audio tracks.
>
> afaik, MAME records uncompressed video and audio, and stores them in a AVI file.

This. MKV is just a container format. It's not like it would magically make MAME emit well-compressed videos that look any good.

And open-source or not, AVI is still the de facto standard for video interchange when doing video editing and such.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: mame aviwrite new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#366033 - 05/15/17 02:16 PM

> And open-source or not, AVI is still the de facto standard for video interchange when
> doing video editing and such.

Not anymore. MKV is a standard format for doing video editing for a long time now. AVI is a compressed format which is geting abandoned very quickly these days while MKV grows stronger. You can see it happening when you go grab high-definition movies around the internet (blu rays mostly), with mp4 in a close second place. AVI is dying pretty fast.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#366034 - 05/15/17 02:47 PM

> Not anymore. MKV is a standard format for doing video editing for a long time now.
> AVI is a compressed format which is geting abandoned very quickly these days while
> MKV grows stronger. You can see it happening when you go grab high-definition movies
> around the internet (blu rays mostly), with mp4 in a close second place. AVI is dying
> pretty fast.

AVI is losing out to MKV for distribution of pirated video. That says nothing about what's used for importing assets into non-linear video editing packages. MKV's advantages for distribution of rips (frame rate/resolution switches, multiple subtitle tracks) aren't all that relevant when you're dealing with raw assets.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: mame aviwrite new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#366035 - 05/15/17 03:16 PM

> > Not anymore. MKV is a standard format for doing video editing for a long time now.
> > AVI is a compressed format which is geting abandoned very quickly these days while
> > MKV grows stronger. You can see it happening when you go grab high-definition
> movies
> > around the internet (blu rays mostly), with mp4 in a close second place. AVI is
> dying
> > pretty fast.
>
> AVI is losing out to MKV for distribution of pirated video. That says nothing about
> what's used for importing assets into non-linear video editing packages. MKV's
> advantages for distribution of rips (frame rate/resolution switches, multiple
> subtitle tracks) aren't all that relevant when you're dealing with raw assets.

many of these things are useful for MAME tho.

for MAME I think we're eventually just going to have our own format tho, especially if we start dealing with frames in terms of lines or sync signals etc. rather than bitmaps. Maybe direct to avi/mkv as a backup option, but if you actually want a capture of the video output in full then the systems MAME emulates can already do a lot of nasty things that don't fit well in .avi. Of course that would mean having some tools to do the post processing and conversion to other formats too, but if you want to actually record without loss it gets messy and that's before we even factor in other elements such as the artwork, which get rendered horribly even in screenshots right now.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#366036 - 05/15/17 03:50 PM

Uncompressed avi is the best you can ask for, gives you control to do whatever you want. Either way unless people are forcing the avi to upscale the hell out of the recording with the mame option, I think you have to take it into another editor before uploading to youtube if you want it to be accurate. This is because the mame recordings are at the original rate (around 60 fps) and youtube only supports 60 fps for 720 and higher as far as I know and the way they chop it down is just by deleting every other frame in their encoding. That's why all the mame recordings of Dangun Feveron have the pickup disco men blinking on and off instead of translucent. Most mame videos on youtube that aren't 720 or higher and 60fps are basically a disaster. That's my view/current understanding of the situation anyway. The way to get the videos to look correct at lower resolutions and youtube's 30 fps for 480p and lower would be to use an editor to correctly blend the frames into a 30 fps output to upload instead of allowing youtube's encoder to delete every other frame.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: mame aviwrite new [Re: Smitdogg]
#366048 - 05/15/17 05:23 PM

> Uncompressed avi is the best you can ask for, gives you control to do whatever you
> want. Either way unless people are forcing the avi to upscale the hell out of the
> recording with the mame option, I think you have to take it into another editor
> before uploading to youtube if you want it to be accurate. This is because the mame
> recordings are at the original rate (around 60 fps) and youtube only supports 60 fps
> for 720 and higher as far as I know and the way they chop it down is just by deleting
> every other frame in their encoding. That's why all the mame recordings of Dangun
> Feveron have the pickup disco men blinking on and off instead of translucent. Most
> mame videos on youtube that aren't 720 or higher and 60fps are basically a disaster.
> That's my view/current understanding of the situation anyway. The way to get the
> videos to look correct at lower resolutions and youtube's 30 fps for 480p and lower
> would be to use an editor to correctly blend the frames into a 30 fps output to
> upload instead of allowing youtube's encoder to delete every other frame.

If you don't want to destroy the viewing experience for people stuck at 30fps, then yeah, some stuff you'll have to frame blend.

Lately I've decided that it makes a lot more sense to upscale the video instead tho as anything half decent can render 60fps and it's more futureproof, so yeah, feeding massive HD resolution videos to YouTube even if the games only ran at 256x224.

I think you're not quite understanding all of the conversation tho, avi and mkv are containers, you can shove uncompressed video into either, although mkv supports more features than avi. the problem is, despite that, editor support for some of the more useful ones is limited as most of the editing software is stuck in 2001 or something.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#366049 - 05/15/17 05:46 PM

> > And open-source or not, AVI is still the de facto standard for video interchange
> > when doing video editing and such.

> Not anymore. MKV is a standard format for doing video editing for a long time now.
> AVI is a compressed format

.avi is not a "video format", it's a "container". This means it can carry various types of video and audio, not necessarily compressed formats.

S

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: mame aviwrite new [Re: Sune]
#366079 - 05/16/17 02:33 PM

> > > And open-source or not, AVI is still the de facto standard for video interchange
> > > when doing video editing and such.
>
> > Not anymore. MKV is a standard format for doing video editing for a long time now.
> > AVI is a compressed format
>
> .avi is not a "video format", it's a "container". This means it can carry various
> types of video and audio, not necessarily compressed formats.
>
> S

You are right S. Thanks for correcting my statement.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 328 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1506