Pages: 1

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Name that game
#365434 - 04/26/17 01:09 PM

I'm trying to remember the name of an old DOS game. It was a multiplayer battle between tanks (all crammed in the same keyboard, no LAN or net), where some tanks could be played by the computer. The graphics were minimal, tanks were just line triangles. They had a variety of weaponry and it was very fun. It played in 640x400 or better, IIRC the arena background was grey.

Any help appreciated, TIA, kisses, everything.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Azrael
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/09/04
Send PM

Re: Name that game new [Re: Pi]
#365482 - 04/27/17 04:49 PM

Well, the foreground was green and the tanks were simple sprites, not triangles, but we had a blast playing Scorched Earth in my student days. Could it be what you're looking for?

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Name that game new [Re: Azrael]
#365497 - 04/27/17 10:23 PM

> Well, the foreground was green and the tanks were simple sprites, not triangles, but
> we had a blast playing Scorched Earth in my student days. Could it be what you're
> looking for?

No, I forgot to say it was a top-down view (edited and enhanced the description a bit). I also remember Scorched Earth, I also had some fun with that one although the AI was crappy.

However today I finally remembered the name of a game I liked quite much around that time: XQuest. During all these years all I could remember is that it had something like 'crystal' in the name, and I found Crystal Quest which was the inspiration for XQuest. After some more searching and stubbornishenaniganism I finally found the name of the game. Simple but great.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#365505 - 04/28/17 10:49 AM

> I'm trying to remember the name of an old DOS game. It was a multiplayer battle
> between tanks (all crammed in the same keyboard, no LAN or net), where some tanks
> could be played by the computer. The graphics were minimal, tanks were just line
> triangles. They had a variety of weaponry and it was very fun. It played in 640x400
> or better, IIRC the arena background was grey.

Fire Power - great game, wasted a lot of hours on that one. Although it did support multiplayer (2 players) via serial cable. Got a lot of use out of my lap link cable with this one.

Moose

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Name that game new [Re: Moose]
#365508 - 04/28/17 11:47 AM

> > I'm trying to remember the name of an old DOS game. It was a multiplayer battle
> > between tanks (all crammed in the same keyboard, no LAN or net), where some tanks
> > could be played by the computer. The graphics were minimal, tanks were just line
> > triangles. They had a variety of weaponry and it was very fun. It played in 640x400
> > or better, IIRC the arena background was grey.
>
> Fire Power - great game, wasted a lot of hours on that one. Although it did support
> multiplayer (2 players) via serial cable. Got a lot of use out of my lap link cable
> with this one.

If you're referring to this game, nope.

But I found the game: Destruction Zone a.k.a D-Zone

Thanks all.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#365557 - 04/30/17 05:24 AM

Cool game. Here's Julian's web page with v1.3b download, sequel information, etc:
http://digitalscores.com/dzone/

Moose

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Name that game new [Re: Moose]
#365574 - 04/30/17 09:57 PM

> Cool game. Here's Julian's web page with v1.3b download, sequel information, etc:
> http://digitalscores.com/dzone/

Yep I already found it and updated MobyGames info. I think (something went wrong maybe, will resubmit if nothing happens in a couple days).

So XQuest and D-Zone on the same day. Couldn't remember those names for years, but in the end it's just perseverance and googleing until 3am.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 151 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1577