Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

The Atari Arcade Theatre Kiosk
#365343 - 04/22/17 06:42 AM

https://arcadeblogger.com/2017/04/21/the-atari-arcade-theatre-kiosk/

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: The Atari Arcade Theatre Kiosk new [Re: Andrew]
#365371 - 04/23/17 02:55 AM

>Seth Soffer actually owns an original two-piece Theatre Unit:

>How cool is that?! Seth is after more units to make the complete hexagon. If you know of
>any, drop him a line over at his excellent website Arcade72.

That would be something if the 3D model group could recreate that cabinet.

I don't recall seeing any of these in person such as either at Knott's Berry Farm's Buffalo Nickel arcade or Disneyland's Starcade during late 1970s years. The odds were pretty decent that those two sites had a reasonable chance of being able to host a cab hardware design arrangement such as that system because the location spaces were big enough to house units such as those.

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Reged: 01/09/04
Send PM

Re: The Atari Arcade Theatre Kiosk new [Re: gregf]
#365373 - 04/23/17 03:59 AM

We had one at Roger's Plaza Mall in Wyoming, MI back in the early 80s. However, it housed bootlegs of popular games at the time- Moon Cresta, Tank Battalion, Pac-Man, and two others that I don't remember.

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: The Atari Arcade Theatre Kiosk new [Re: Brian Deuel]
#365377 - 04/23/17 05:46 AM

>We had one at Roger's Plaza Mall in Wyoming, MI back in the early 80s. However, it housed
>bootlegs of popular games at the time- Moon Cresta, Tank Battalion, Pac-Man, and two others
>that I don't remember.

That would have been interesting to see that in action and any of the modifications that was done to that unit, but still kind of sad. If the cab were not modified, it probably could have fetched a decent amount of money as a collectors item at this present time.

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Reged: 01/09/04
Send PM

Re: The Atari Arcade Theatre Kiosk new [Re: gregf]
#365728 - 05/05/17 06:02 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if it were completely destroyed once they removed it. The operators in those days weren't exactly kind to machines that no longer made money, and I knew most of them in the area (including the biggies- Bally Midwest and Atlas techs/operators). I only knew one operator who placed bootlegs, but he did so in the local 7-11s (in Astro Combat cabinets; usually Moon Cresta, Crazy Kong, Pac-Man, and Tank Battalion). He bowed in too late and didn't stay in the business for more than a couple of years.

Here's a shot of one of the cabinets I speak of (still trying to find one myself):

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1570