MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

thinking of updating mame install
#363935 - 02/28/17 03:55 AM

for the pc i use to play mame, the version of mame i am running is about 3 years old, and that pc uses windows xp 64, with an intel core 2 duo running at 3.8ghz

the core 2 duo hasn't given me any problems as i'm not interesting in trying to run 'everything'

since the mame version i'm using is about 3 years old now, i'm thinking of starting over with the latest mame release and windows 7 64bit .. but what about that 3.8ghz core 2 duo? am i going to be ok with that or is it a bit.. out of date. (i know if someone asked me if it would be ok to run latest mame with a pentium 4, i would say "nah, don't bother".. i'm wondering if core 2 duo's are pretty much at that stage also these days; ie. perhaps better suited for old mame versions and not the latest builds?)

thanks for any advice

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: thinking of updating mame install new [Re: grog]
#363938 - 02/28/17 05:12 AM

Assuming you have the E8400 Wolfdale or something similar to that then you should be good for updating. It won't get 100% on the most demanding stuff, but there's also TONS of games and fixes that have been added over the last 3 years that will make updating worthwhile.

Ditching XP 64 is a good decision.

The only concern to consider is DirectDraw is gone and MAME throws an error if your GFX card is really ancient. Something about power of two shapes or something (I can't remember now and am too lazy to google it)

Basically you're gonna gain so much more than you'll lose by running the latest version. Go for it!

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: thinking of updating mame install new [Re: B2K24]
#363952 - 02/28/17 06:45 PM

hey thanks for the reply, im using an E7600 (3M Cache, 3.06 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB) but i discovered u can do a 'pad mod' on them (link some of the cpu 'pins' together) to change it to a 3.8ghz 1333 MHz FSB at 1.4125v (it's neat as doing that u don't have to change anything in your BIOS or (for me at least) even change your stock cpu fan)

i'm using an ATI 4550 gfx card so should be ok hopefully. anyway will have a think about updating then....

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: thinking of updating mame install new [Re: grog]
#363985 - 03/01/17 09:09 PM

> i'm using an ATI 4550 gfx card so should be ok hopefully. anyway will have a think
> about updating then....

The 4550 is a late-2008 card so it *should* be OK if it's fully compliant with DirectX up to that point. It probably won't do much for you on HLSL effects though.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 334 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1240