Pages: 1

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Cds/DVDs rotting away...
#363721 - 02/21/17 03:14 AM

Just like laserdiscs. I think most of us here are familiar with bit rot on laserdiscs, but how many have expanded this thinking to CDs and DVDs? Makes sense of course. This is why preservation is important- this stuff shouldn't just sit in someone's collection never to see the light of day again.

Toast to MAME and its preservation goal.

Nintendolife article: Retro: This Is Why We Should Probably Be Glad Nintendo Stuck With Carts For The N64

Source article: When Discs Die

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Cds/DVDs rotting away... new [Re: Qun Mang]
#363729 - 02/21/17 02:06 PM

The Library of Congress have been backing up CDs for years but last I checked they were selective about which ones and probably the general public does more good for them with piracy. DVDs for the most part, if we're talking about movies, is not a format worth preserving unless the original movie reels/data no longer exist. The video resolution is too small and interleaving is garbage.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: Cds/DVDs rotting away... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#363731 - 02/21/17 04:31 PM

> The Library of Congress have been backing up CDs for years but last I checked they
> were selective about which ones and probably the general public does more good for
> them with piracy. DVDs for the most part, if we're talking about movies, is not a
> format worth preserving unless the original movie reels/data no longer exist. The
> video resolution is too small and interleaving is garbage.

The source link is mostly about CDs in general, and also used a quote from a game collector about his game CDs. However, this can extrapolated to other forms of optical media. You're right- movies on DVD aren't really worth saving except as a footnote, and in the case you mentioned. However DVD media has been used on gaming systems as well such as Xbox, and of course newer systems use bluray. There's probably no immediate danger on bluray media, and even DVD games are not all that old- yet. But just as laserdiscs and now CDs are showing this problem, they likely will as well.

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/07
Send PM

#363734 - 02/21/17 06:47 PM

I've had a few music CD-Rs, both ones I've made, and ones I've bought, decompose into static. Proper produced CDs still seem to be fine. It may depend on how they are stored, to a degree.

Edited by VirtuaIceMan (02/21/17 06:47 PM)

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Cds/DVDs rotting away... new [Re: VirtuaIceMan]
#363739 - 02/22/17 01:27 AM

> I've had a few music CD-Rs, both ones I've made, and ones I've bought, decompose into
> static. Proper produced CDs still seem to be fine. It may depend on how they are
> stored, to a degree.

Out of my 3500 or so disks I have I would say ~10 are unreadable. One of them was pretty cool it has rust spots. Most of them are just the plastic coming apart. Have not tried any CDRs from years ago to still see if those work. Those could be iffy. Most were temporary transport anyway.

smf
I've been here before
Reged: 01/16/15
Send PM

#363800 - 02/23/17 08:05 PM

> but how many have expanded this thinking to CDs and DVDs?

Cheap CD-R's are the most susceptible & apart from some early CD's, pressed media holds up pretty well. Even scratched media is pretty good.

Getting accurate reads from any audio CD is tricky though because the format and the drives weren't designed to allow it.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 183 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1746