MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Gagster
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/11/17
Send PM

Arcade games that are fun in freeplay-mode?
#363404 - 02/11/17 05:50 PM

Besides fighting games in general, I haven't found many arcade games to be my cup of tea. The only ones I really enjoy in freeplay-mode, is as of today Shinoby and Shadow Warrior. The reason for that is that in those two games, you get a real penalty when dieing and have to restart the whole level again, even if you have unlimited credits.

Other games especially beat'em ups tends to give you no penalty when dieing whatsoever as long as you have credits, thereby making them a walk in the park with unlimited credits.

I imagine this forum is full of MAME/arcade-enthusiasts that have great knowledge when it comes to recommended and not recommended games in this case, and I would love to hear your input.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Arcade games that are fun in freeplay-mode? new [Re: Gagster]
#363416 - 02/11/17 10:56 PM

Nothing is fun if you're just credit feeding and flailing about and if you get to the end of a game that way, you didn't beat it. With arcade games you generally either try to beat it in 1 credit or go for a high score and try to improve on your score. Most games drop your score if you continue, that is the punishment, points used to mean something back when the games were made. If you want to find some that are possible to beat in 1 credit you can search on youtube for 1CC.

Gagster
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Arcade games that are fun in freeplay-mode? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#363465 - 02/12/17 10:13 PM

Well, if you're going the authentic route of enjoying the game the way it's originally is supposed to be enjoyed, I agree.

Games like Shadow Warrior and Shinobi is a lot about trial and error and learning about your own mistakes to progress any further; not like in a game like Turtles in Time where you can credit-feed and mash through the game almost blindfolded.

This may be a very subjective case, but I do have a good time playing games like Shadow Warrior and Shinobi in freeplay mode, because the difficulty is very high (in my opinion) and I play for how long as I can before my own frustration takes a hold on me.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#363466 - 02/12/17 10:25 PM

I see the part with it bringing you back to the beginning of a stage as really just giving a more interesting and challenging practice mode until you finally get good enough for the 1 credit clear. A 1CC is just stringing together a series of good stage plays. All those games I'm sure have been 1CC'd 1,000 times over. It just takes massive practice like beating Cave shooters that "look impossible".

Gagster
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Arcade games that are fun in freeplay-mode? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#363467 - 02/12/17 10:38 PM

If I play through Shinobi and Shadow Dancer enough times, I supposed I can eventually do the 1CC challenge with enough practice by the way

I have managed to get relatively far in RodLand on the Amiga with 1 Credit, but the Amiga version may have had it's difficulty watered down a tad compared to the Arcade one.

I might just search YouTube for 1CC runs on MAME/arcade-games, it even sounds fun to watch what dedicated people can pull off.

But back to topic; I don't know of many arcade games other than Shinobi and Shadow Dancer that punishes you in a way that forces you to begin at the start of the level all over again when dying.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#363469 - 02/12/17 11:26 PM

> If I play through Shinobi and Shadow Dancer enough times, I supposed I can eventually
> do the 1CC challenge with enough practice by the way
>
> I have managed to get relatively far in RodLand on the Amiga with 1 Credit, but the
> Amiga version may have had it's difficulty watered down a tad compared to the Arcade
> one.
>
> I might just search YouTube for 1CC runs on MAME/arcade-games, it even sounds fun to
> watch what dedicated people can pull off.
>
>
> But back to topic; I don't know of many arcade games other than Shinobi and Shadow
> Dancer that punishes you in a way that forces you to begin at the start of the level
> all over again when dying.

Die in any Nemesis/Gradius game (Konami) and you're basically going to be starting over from the beginning of the game.

Same goes for the R-Type franchise, too.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Arcade games that are fun in freeplay-mode? new [Re: Master O]
#363470 - 02/12/17 11:58 PM

> > If I play through Shinobi and Shadow Dancer enough times, I supposed I can
> eventually
> > do the 1CC challenge with enough practice by the way
> >
> > I have managed to get relatively far in RodLand on the Amiga with 1 Credit, but the
> > Amiga version may have had it's difficulty watered down a tad compared to the
> Arcade
> > one.
> >
> > I might just search YouTube for 1CC runs on MAME/arcade-games, it even sounds fun
> to
> > watch what dedicated people can pull off.
> >
> >
> > But back to topic; I don't know of many arcade games other than Shinobi and Shadow
> > Dancer that punishes you in a way that forces you to begin at the start of the
> level
> > all over again when dying.
>
> Die in any Nemesis/Gradius game (Konami) and you're basically going to be starting
> over from the beginning of the game.
>
> Same goes for the R-Type franchise, too.

there are quite a few games that won't give you the true ending / bosses if you continue even once (or in some cases die even once, or don't meet a score criteria)

while you could credit feed your way through those you're not going to see everything by doing so, although the difficult barrier to see everything on many of them is way higher than even most good players manage to achieve.

Cave shooters like to do that kind of thing for example, or the Raiden Fighters series.

note
http://rf-emporium.ghegs.com/rfjet/secrets.htm

the bottom line (that ends in Level 35) is all you'll get if you mindlessly credit feed.

Rainbow Islands is similars, you won't get the bonus islands without meeting certain criteria

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

#363472 - 02/13/17 02:43 AM

hello Gagster, not really answering your question but have you thought of playing arcade games as part of a high score challenge? i do that, and it is great fun and you get a real appreciation of many different games and have to play them in a way of trying to get as many points as possible on one credit, and it's lots of fun and a challenge going up against others

i've played lots of games doing this which i wouldnt have bothered with otherwise. games like dig dug, that was great fun when i played that in a high score competition. i'd never really played that game much before that, but finally got a real appreciation for that game after playing it for a couple of weeks in the competition (i realised u have to crush monsters with a single rock in order to get really high scores).. like in this video:

you also get to play some real hidden gems which u probably wouldnt have given any time otherwise. games like Baluba-louk no Densetsu which was excellent.

http://www.aussiearcade.com/forumdisplay...f63a3d729085bf6

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Arcade games that are fun in freeplay-mode? new [Re: Haze]
#363481 - 02/13/17 05:46 AM

That is a good point. I think I get what he is saying. Which of this giant pile of games is still good even if you just money power your way to the end. It is also kinda subjective.

Probably the only way to know that would have to been on the receiving end of that game at the time? Basically trying to actually really manage your real money so you didnt just blast it all on one game?

For example I know Terminator 2 is fun. You most certainly need a decent amount of quarter to get to the end. Usually took me a couple of bucks. But the cab was part of the fun in that one.

I know simpsons can be pretty fun to just play through. You pretty much ended up plowing at least a buck into the thing to get anywhere.

Double Dragon, streets of rage 2 can be pretty good too.

Heavy Barrel and Time Soldiers I never got very tired of those and just kept feeding them money.

Cadash can be fun to power through also.

Something like time pilot once you go through all the stages you have seen most of what the game has to offer. At that point it just gets progressively faster until it bumps you off. Most of the early 80s games were of this type. Try to look for games where there is a clear 'end'. Like bad dudes. These were more common in the late 80s early 90s.

Just remember most of these games were meant for you to be off the machine in 5-10 mins tops or at least dropping more money at that time. So the longevity gameplay is going to be fairly shallow.

Also look to the emulator info/history text files. Many times they have similar games if you find one you kinda like.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 451 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2041