MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DarkMoe
Lurker
Reged: 11/26/03
Send PM

All new working games in MAME 0.181 video
#362632 - 01/17/17 12:09 AM

Here's the link to the new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eouzEmYPsyM

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: All new working games in MAME 0.181 video new [Re: DarkMoe]
#362634 - 01/17/17 01:19 AM

Very useful - Thank You DefinitelyRussian.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#362638 - 01/17/17 07:44 AM

> Here's the link to the new video:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eouzEmYPsyM

Just wondering, how do you record these videos? I'm trying to record stuff from MAME and would like some ideas on how to do that.

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

Re: All new working games in MAME 0.181 video new [Re: Foxhack]
#362639 - 01/17/17 09:37 AM

The easiest and fastest way is to use "ADB Tool", by motoschifo, which lets you create videos with a few passages in mp4 and avi, with ease.

You can find it here: http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/download.php

Site: https://www.progettosnaps.net/
Board: progetto-SNAPS Official Board
Twitter: @progettosnaps

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#362649 - 01/17/17 05:40 PM

> > Here's the link to the new video:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eouzEmYPsyM
>
> Just wondering, how do you record these videos? I'm trying to record stuff from MAME
> and would like some ideas on how to do that.

Ignore what AntoPISA said. Just use MAME's built in AVI-writing functionality, -aviwrite.

It will output an uncompressed AVI, so you'll need a good bit of disk space to store the resulting videos, but you won't wind up with source material that's already had shitty compression applied to it, which will be further shitted up by YouTube.

You can also explicitly specify the desired output resolution for the AVI by using -snapsize XxY where X is the width and Y is the height. This can, for example, be used to generate HD-resolution footage that has been upscaled using nearest-neighbor, which preserves crisp pixel edges when uploading to YouTube, whereas uploading a video clip at the game's native resolution will often result in nothing more than 480p viewing being available, and the block-based compression that YouTube uses will absolutely destroy the quality of the video at that size.

Additionally, if you go AntoPISA's route, you'll wind up capturing the bilinear-upscaled output of MAME, and not the raw pixels of the game, and that looks like shit when uploaded to YouTube.

Jred
I gotta have more cowbell
Reged: 04/27/04
Send PM

#362651 - 01/17/17 07:14 PM

I didn't know this was a thing. Thank you very much. This is awesome. Please keep them coming.

motoschifo
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/09/15
Loc: Italy
Send PM

#362652 - 01/17/17 10:09 PM

> > Here's the link to the new video:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eouzEmYPsyM
>
> Just wondering, how do you record these videos? I'm trying to record stuff from MAME
> and would like some ideas on how to do that.

Hi,
my tool is written to simplify the works to make shortplay videos of a game and maximizing the quality (lossless compression, color fidelity).
But that is not the best solution if you need a more specific ingame footage.
If you plan to upload file to Youtube, please remember to make a file at least at full-hd resolution as said by MooglyGuy, otherwise the final quality will be very bad.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: All new working games in MAME 0.181 video new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#362654 - 01/17/17 10:54 PM

> > Just wondering, how do you record these videos? I'm trying to record stuff from MAME
> > and would like some ideas on how to do that.
>
> Ignore what AntoPISA said. Just use MAME's built in AVI-writing functionality,
> -aviwrite.

MooglyGuy's right if it's a video game. But if it's a non-video system relying on artwork like the LED/VFD games (or my MCU programmers coming in 0.182) you'll need to do it AntoPISA's way.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: All new working games in MAME 0.181 video new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#362657 - 01/18/17 01:47 AM

> MooglyGuy's right if it's a video game. But if it's a non-video system relying on
> artwork like the LED/VFD games (or my MCU programmers coming in 0.182) you'll need to
> do it AntoPISA's way.

Except you still don't, doesn't the BGFX backend still provide a way of writing out an uncompressed AVI of the final composited output?

mangamuscle
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/31/05
Send PM

#362673 - 01/18/17 07:22 AM

> It will output an uncompressed AVI,

Maybe mame should incorporate dosbox ZMBV lossless video codec.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: All new working games in MAME 0.181 video new [Re: mangamuscle]
#362675 - 01/18/17 11:50 AM

> > It will output an uncompressed AVI,
>
> Maybe mame should incorporate dosbox ZMBV lossless video codec.

Is the license compatible? I'd be alright with bringing in just about any lossless video codec as long as the license is compatible.

mangamuscle
MAME Fan
Send PM

#362687 - 01/18/17 10:02 PM

> > > It will output an uncompressed AVI,
> >
> > Maybe mame should incorporate dosbox ZMBV lossless video codec.
>
> Is the license compatible? I'd be alright with bringing in just about any lossless
> video codec as long as the license is compatible.

AFAIK the codec license is the same as dosbox (GPLv2) and most players (vlc, mpc-hc, mplayer) already have support for playing it right out of the box (only windows media player could not play the test videos I downloaded).

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#362689 - 01/18/17 10:32 PM

> AFAIK the codec license is the same as dosbox (GPLv2) and most players (vlc, mpc-hc,
> mplayer) already have support for playing it right out of the box (only windows media
> player could not play the test videos I downloaded).

How well-supported is it by the common video encoder packs? Let's say I were to eventually (can't right now; contracting gig taking up all my attention) add support for it in MAME, and generated a video with it. Could I upload it directly to YouTube? If not, would I be able to install e.g. the K-Lite Codec Pack or CCCP, and simply chuck it into VirtualDub and reencode it without issue?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#362694 - 01/18/17 11:17 PM

> > > > It will output an uncompressed AVI,
> > >
> > > Maybe mame should incorporate dosbox ZMBV lossless video codec.
> >
> > Is the license compatible? I'd be alright with bringing in just about any lossless
> > video codec as long as the license is compatible.
>
> AFAIK the codec license is the same as dosbox (GPLv2) and most players (vlc, mpc-hc,
> mplayer) already have support for playing it right out of the box (only windows media
> player could not play the test videos I downloaded).

Ideally MAME wants to keep core components and OSD level stuff as BSD tho so that it's easy enough to produce a clean BSD-only build for people who want that.

Adding components that are GPL at that level is something, afaik, the team try to avoid.

RdW
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/13/05
Send PM

#362697 - 01/18/17 11:32 PM

> > AFAIK the codec license is the same as dosbox (GPLv2) and most players (vlc,
> mpc-hc,
> > mplayer) already have support for playing it right out of the box (only windows
> media
> > player could not play the test videos I downloaded).
>
> How well-supported is it by the common video encoder packs? Let's say I were to
> eventually (can't right now; contracting gig taking up all my attention) add support
> for it in MAME, and generated a video with it. Could I upload it directly to YouTube?
> If not, would I be able to install e.g. the K-Lite Codec Pack or CCCP, and simply
> chuck it into VirtualDub and reencode it without issue?

K-Lite supports zmbv:
https://www.codecguide.com/klcp_ability_comparison.htm

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#362699 - 01/18/17 11:43 PM

> > > It will output an uncompressed AVI,
> >
> > Maybe mame should incorporate dosbox ZMBV lossless video codec.
>
> Is the license compatible? I'd be alright with bringing in just about any lossless
> video codec as long as the license is compatible.

That'd be great if you could add it. The format is pretty good for games that don't have a lot of color and it's not very CPU intensive. Hope it can be done!

mangamuscle
MAME Fan
Send PM

#362703 - 01/19/17 12:23 AM

> for it in MAME, and generated a video with it. Could I upload it directly to YouTube?
> If not, would I be able to install e.g. the K-Lite Codec Pack or CCCP, and simply
> chuck it into VirtualDub and reencode it without issue?

I indeed could upload an avi in zmbv to youtube:

http://youtu.be/KHje2spv6jQ <--- youtube needed several minutes to process it, dunno why.

and was able to open and view said avi file in virtualdub 1.10.4 x64 running under w8.1 x64. Prior to doing that I downloaded the codec from here http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=306810 and installed it using the the included text instructions.

I still can't open it in windows media player (maybe it needs a reboot?) and after installing the codec I can no longer open in mpc-hc O_o; I got the test avis from here:

https://samples.mplayerhq.hu/V-codecs/ZMBV/

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: All new working games in MAME 0.181 video new [Re: Haze]
#362705 - 01/19/17 12:53 AM

> Ideally MAME wants to keep core components and OSD level stuff as BSD tho so that
> it's easy enough to produce a clean BSD-only build for people who want that.
>
> Adding components that are GPL at that level is something, afaik, the team try to
> avoid.

This is true. However, I think there's an argument to be made for moving the AVI logging itself entirely into the OSD layer, at which point the core license guideline would be moot.

AVI writing seems like something that would be better handled by the OSD layer anyway, since it would allow easier customization of encoders on a per-platform basis.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#362706 - 01/19/17 12:54 AM

> I indeed could upload an avi in zmbv to youtube:
>
> http://youtu.be/KHje2spv6jQ <--- youtube needed several minutes to process it,
> dunno why.
>
> and was able to open and view said avi file in virtualdub 1.10.4 x64 running under
> w8.1 x64. Prior to doing that I downloaded the codec from here
> http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=306810 and installed it using the the included
> text instructions.

I'll throw it on the backburner, then, along with moving AVI writing into the OSD layer. Can't really give a timeline, other than MAME is on hold in my life at the moment due to my contracting gig taking up all of my time until at least May/June-ish.

mangamuscle
MAME Fan
Send PM

#362712 - 01/19/17 01:54 AM

> I'll throw it on the backburner, then, along with moving AVI writing into the OSD
> layer. Can't really give a timeline, other than MAME is on hold in my life at the
> moment due to my contracting gig taking up all of my time until at least
> May/June-ish.

That is cool and good luck in your work.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#362728 - 01/19/17 05:36 PM

> This is true. However, I think there's an argument to be made for moving the AVI
> logging itself entirely into the OSD layer, at which point the core license guideline
> would be moot.

What you actually want to do is make A/V logging an OSD module, as has been done with audio, video, input, and other sorts of things. The switch would become e.g. -logav avi or -logav x264 or whatever.

mangamuscle
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: All new working games in MAME 0.181 video new [Re: R. Belmont]
#362732 - 01/19/17 07:21 PM

> e.g. -logav avi or -logav x264 or whatever.

As a side comment, avi (just as mp4 or mkv) is a container while x264 (like zmbv or vp9) is a (video) codec.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#362746 - 01/20/17 07:00 PM

> > e.g. -logav avi or -logav x264 or whatever.
>
> As a side comment, avi (just as mp4 or mkv) is a container while x264 (like zmbv or
> vp9) is a (video) codec.

You knew exactly what I was getting at (I deliberately gave a very sketchy example because I knew Ryan would understand) but you chose to nitpick anyway. See if I actually add that x264 support now.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: All new working games in MAME 0.181 video new [Re: R. Belmont]
#362748 - 01/20/17 10:10 PM

Well at least you're not vindictive.

DarkMoe
Lurker
Send PM

#362784 - 01/22/17 02:50 PM

I use OBS, using Monitor capture, since sometimes I have issues with any other kind of capture mode

DarkMoe
Lurker
Send PM

#362785 - 01/22/17 02:54 PM

I didn't even know this was possible with MAME (I should have known better)

I will try next video using this native method. Great !

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 132 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2706