MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

The Decapping continues
#361977 - 12/30/16 03:26 AM

Whoever these guys are, it is nice (to me at least) to see they seem to be treating this situation just like a job and getting the job done.
Instead of picking and choosing what to work on next just grab the next chip from the list whether it has a huge benefit or just fulfills the request to find out what it is.

I would personally like to show them my gratitude, has anyone in touch with them questioned if they would consider donations?

Here's to hoping the list continues to dwindel and things work out where Guru can supply them with the other chips he has that require Decapping. I know he is not against doing so.

Let the good times Roll!!!

http://caps0ff.blogspot.com/

There is no law in the arena

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

Uuuggghhhh!!!! new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#361979 - 12/30/16 06:34 AM

Looks like the first comment on their Blog is a request to donate a board!
That is not at all what I meant, They OBVIOUSLY have enough to deal with now!
I was thinking more like money to buy them all a nice lunch/dinner or something. :/

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Uuuggghhhh! new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#361983 - 12/30/16 11:48 AM

>Looks like the first comment on their Blog is a request to donate a board!
>That is not at all what I meant, They OBVIOUSLY have enough to deal with now!

Welcome to the post CPS-2 emulation era where posts change from the late 1990s' days of "When will cps-2 be emulated?" to "Lets fully emulate all of cps-2 hardware". *kidding*

>I was thinking more like money to buy them all a nice lunch/dinner or something.

Sending pizza vibes there.

And if Round Table pizza doesn't cut it, there's always other pizza varieties from the pizza wars thread of May 2015 of where Smit had the best post out of the entire May 2015 thread.

btw: These two web pages/blogs will be the favorites for 2017....maybe 2018 as well.

http://arcade.vastheman.com/decap/ and http://caps0ff.blogspot.com.au/

Edited by gregf (12/30/16 11:53 AM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Uuuggghhhh!!!! new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#361988 - 12/30/16 01:21 PM

> Looks like the first comment on their Blog is a request to donate a board!
> That is not at all what I meant, They OBVIOUSLY have enough to deal with now!
> I was thinking more like money to buy them all a nice lunch/dinner or something. :/

Yeah, last thing we need is dumping expectations on CAPS0ff. It's great that they've volunteered to help out with the backlog, but it would be far more polite to wait to see if they ask for more work rather than trying to load them up with expectations. But the Big Blue FE guy is well-known for being a douche anyway, so figures.

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Re: Uuuggghhhh! new [Re: gregf]
#361989 - 12/30/16 04:52 PM

> btw: These two web pages/blogs will be the favorites for 2017....maybe 2018 as well.
>
> http://arcade.vastheman.com/decap/ and http://caps0ff.blogspot.com.au/

Indeed. Reading through that first link, I think it would be nice if a brief one-line summary of what each decapped chip actually does was provided in the table. For example, we all know the recent Toaplan chips enable sound, but what does the UMK3 security chip offer - more accurate emulation in some way, or is it entirely unnoticeable?

Without looking I'm sure all this is documented in the respective target system source, but I think a one-line layman's summary right inline with the chips themselves might help people quickly realize the value of what is being done here, and ideally encourage more people to help out.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: Uuuggghhhh! new [Re: Shoegazr]
#362002 - 12/30/16 11:56 PM

> > btw: These two web pages/blogs will be the favorites for 2017....maybe 2018 as
> well.
> >
> > http://arcade.vastheman.com/decap/ and http://caps0ff.blogspot.com.au/
>
> Indeed. Reading through that first link, I think it would be nice if a brief one-line
> summary of what each decapped chip actually does was provided in the table. For
> example, we all know the recent Toaplan chips enable sound, but what does the UMK3
> security chip offer - more accurate emulation in some way, or is it entirely
> unnoticeable?
>
> Without looking I'm sure all this is documented in the respective target system
> source, but I think a one-line layman's summary right inline with the chips
> themselves might help people quickly realize the value of what is being done here,
> and ideally encourage more people to help out.

I'm just waiting patiently for the galspanic chips to make it thru the process....

Only here to annoy...

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Uuuggghhhh! new [Re: Renegade]
#362003 - 12/31/16 12:45 AM

> I'm just waiting patiently for the galspanic chips to make it thru the process....

I'm calling it now: Those will be the last ones decapped, just for the trolling opportunities alone.

(Disclaimer: The above does not imply I have any inside knowledge of that happening or not. It's meant as a joke).

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Uuuggghhhh! new [Re: Master O]
#362006 - 12/31/16 12:58 AM

> > I'm just waiting patiently for the galspanic chips to make it thru the process....
>
> I'm calling it now: Those will be the last ones decapped, just for the trolling
> opportunities alone.
>
> (Disclaimer: The above does not imply I have any inside knowledge of that happening
> or not. It's meant as a joke).

I'm not actually sure why the Gals Panic chips were sent, the only one (IMHO) likely to be an MCU is the one from Gals Panic 2, the GP1 chips are likely in charge of the framebuffer or something.

For the Gals Panic 2 chip we don't have a CPU core even if it's what I think it is.

whateverhipster
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/31/16
Send PM

Re: Uuuggghhhh!!!! new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#362011 - 12/31/16 02:29 AM

> > Looks like the first comment on their Blog is a request to donate a board!
> > That is not at all what I meant, They OBVIOUSLY have enough to deal with now!
> > I was thinking more like money to buy them all a nice lunch/dinner or something. :/
>
> Yeah, last thing we need is dumping expectations on CAPS0ff. It's great that they've
> volunteered to help out with the backlog, but it would be far more polite to wait to
> see if they ask for more work rather than trying to load them up with expectations.
> But the Big Blue FE guy is well-known for being a douche anyway, so figures.

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

I saw that and thought that it was wanted. There was no expectation implied in the comment at all. There was nothing impolite about the comment. I asked if it was wanted. How is that impolite? He's free to ignore it or say that it's not wanted.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: Uuuggghhhh! new [Re: Haze]
#362017 - 12/31/16 04:37 AM

> > > I'm just waiting patiently for the galspanic chips to make it thru the
> process....
> >
> > I'm calling it now: Those will be the last ones decapped, just for the trolling
> > opportunities alone.
> >
> > (Disclaimer: The above does not imply I have any inside knowledge of that happening
> > or not. It's meant as a joke).
>
> I'm not actually sure why the Gals Panic chips were sent, the only one (IMHO) likely
> to be an MCU is the one from Gals Panic 2, the GP1 chips are likely in charge of the
> framebuffer or something.
>
> For the Gals Panic 2 chip we don't have a CPU core even if it's what I think it is.

Thanks haze, wasn't sure what was truly up with them. Haze is gals panic 2 it's own pcb set up?

I like the game play of that series and the pics are fun to look at too.

I wasn't requesting or pushing to get them done, just waiting is all.

Only here to annoy...

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

Re: Uuuggghhhh!!!! new [Re: whateverhipster]
#362020 - 12/31/16 05:53 AM

Um, you assumed that THEY give a fuck about the games at all, and you just assumed that their generosity to attempt to do the backlog meant that they were open to doing freebies for all!
What they are doing costs money asshole and your pathetic request/demand for an address to send to just shows why things like this are rare and short lived.

Either you thought you are better than the dozens of people that donated the chips on the list that are already in their and GURU's possession or you are just too fucking stupid to realize that posting that comment on their blog was inappropriate and ignoring the proper channels.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 151 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1830