View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Diet Go Go Fan
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/06
Send PM

How do I make an INP file?
#359617 - 10/13/16 02:53 AM

Looking through the user interface, I found an option to record a movie, but I don't think that is the same thing as an INP. I think that recording an INP can only be done through the command-line, which is a big problem because despite trying many times, I have never been able to get MAME running in the command-line. Does it require a special build of MAME or what?

AJR Hacker
MAME Developer
Reged: 02/01/16
Send PM

Re: How do I make an INP file? new [Re: Diet Go Go Fan]
#359619 - 10/13/16 05:28 AM

You can supply the INP filename on the command line with the -record (or -rec) option.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#359620 - 10/13/16 05:33 AM

> Looking through the user interface, I found an option to record a movie, but I don't
> think that is the same thing as an INP. I think that recording an INP can only be
> done through the command-line, which is a big problem because despite trying many
> times, I have never been able to get MAME running in the command-line. Does it
> require a special build of MAME or what?

I'm pretty certain that recording an INP file cannot be done in the current MAME Internal Menu.

The syntax is simple enough to making one, though:
mame mappy -record mappy.inp
You open up a command window (navigate to your folder which has MAME.exe), then hold SHIFT+right click and choose the option "Open command window here".
Once that is open, just try the command above. When you want to playback your recording, just change "record" to "playback".

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: How do I make an INP file? new [Re: Tafoid]
#359624 - 10/13/16 03:06 PM

> > Looking through the user interface, I found an option to record a movie, but I
> don't
> > think that is the same thing as an INP. I think that recording an INP can only be
> > done through the command-line, which is a big problem because despite trying many
> > times, I have never been able to get MAME running in the command-line. Does it
> > require a special build of MAME or what?
>
> I'm pretty certain that recording an INP file cannot be done in the current MAME
> Internal Menu.
>
> The syntax is simple enough to making one, though:
> mame mappy -record mappy.inp
> You open up a command window (navigate to your folder which has MAME.exe), then hold
> SHIFT+right click and choose the option "Open command window here".
> Once that is open, just try the command above. When you want to playback your
> recording, just change "record" to "playback".

also for games with nvram make sure to delete the .nv file before recording and before playback or the recording will be useless (as the game won't be running from a known state and will desync quickly)

also don't press F3 to reset.

a handful of games still have problems with recording for unknown reasons, but the majority will record fine (as you can see from MARP)

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#359626 - 10/13/16 08:14 PM

> The syntax is simple enough to making one, though:
> mame mappy -record mappy.inp
> You open up a command window (navigate to your folder which has MAME.exe), then hold SHIFT+right click and choose the option "Open command window here". Once that is open, just try the command above. When you want to playback your recording, just change "record" to "playback".

This seems abso-weird to me. I'd [expect] all cmd functions to be available from the UI.

As to why homie hasn't EVER been able to execute command line arguments is....beyond me....

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Diet Go Go Fan
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/06
Send PM

#359635 - 10/13/16 09:42 PM

Thank you. Now I can run command-line MAME and make INP files. Every time I tried to get into the command-line before, I was doing 2 things wrong. I was just right clicking, not shifting, and I was clicking on the MAME icon, not off to the side.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#359636 - 10/14/16 12:20 AM Attachment: MAME.jpg 158 KB (0 downloads)

It's really simple on Windows 10. Once you enter your mame folder you can simply click File at the top left and be presented with options

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2794