MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Axiom Verge
#358598 - 09/12/16 10:32 PM

Axiom Verge is a Metroid (NES) inspired game that takes place in a futuristic, post-apocalyptic, "H.R. Giger-esque" world, that your character awakes in with no sense of what is real, or glitch.

The game is haunting, the music is engaging and the graphics and game play is very much on-par with playing an original NES title.

The story and gameplay has had me hooked for some time, playing the game semi-frequently for over a month and am still finding new weapons, power-ups and hidden areas.

If you are a fan of the Metroid series I would highly recommend this game.

It is cabinet friendly, with some key remapping. I've been playing it on my cab for over a month, and with abundant save spots in the game, it's good for short gaming sessions, although I have burned a couple of hours playing this game straight without realizing how much time has passed.

My real only complaint about this game is the constant back and forth you have to do between areas, but that also stays true to the original Metroid.

Also, at first you might think that the graphics are glitchy, or incomplete, but it is actually a part of the game that is revealed much later.

8/10

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Axiom Verge <somewhat Spoiler'y post> new [Re: Hizzout]
#358612 - 09/13/16 04:26 AM

Got this back in April. You'll come across areas with items that you can't seem to reach. Those items can either be reached by going around or.... other methods. Then there's the secret languages.... Or rather, symbols in place of the English alphabet. If you don't have the right item yet, you may find yourself transcribing things "letter" by "letter" to see what something says.

Also, there's a lot of weapons (and other items). If you're close to the end, you may find yourself backtracking to areas just to scrounge around for what you don't have yet.

& Justin Bailey.

LEVEL-4

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Axiom Verge 2 now released new [Re: Hizzout]
#391707 - 08/26/21 07:54 PM

Axiom Verge 2 has recently been released on Nintendo Switch.

Having just played through the game I have to say it's very well done. I must admit I preferred AV1 for the Giger like artwork, and Metroid (NES) gameplay feel, but AV2 has some interesting game mechanics that kept me interested.

I have to admit AV2 had me banging my head against a wall sometimes of just where I was supposed to go next, but once I figured it out, the map would satisfyingly open up a little more each time. Overall I finished with the stats of 14 hours gameplay, 85% items and 95% map.

I paid about $14 on release from the Nintendo store, and if you're a fan of the Metroid like games, I'd recommend you play it.

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: Axiom Verge 2 now released new [Re: Hizzout]
#391727 - 08/27/21 09:56 PM

i like the first one.

but, i cannot pick up my switch these days without starting another dark souls run. i'm seriously about to finish my 5th playthrough in row on it.

i learned everything i know from KC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1957