http://www.pcmag.com/review/347613/playstation-now-for-pc

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstationnow/

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

Re: Sony moves their commercial emulator to the PC new [Re: Smitdogg]
#358412 - 09/07/16 05:42 PM

There's no emulation here is there? Your client just sends your controller input to them, then their PS3 sends the video result back to you? The lag on that must be horrible, and the video must be blurry as hell.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#358414 - 09/07/16 06:43 PM

> http://www.pcmag.com/review/347613/playstation-now-for-pc
>
> https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstationnow/

Soon they be moving to PC fully. Joking.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Sony moves their commercial emulator to the PC new [Re: mike20599]
#358415 - 09/07/16 07:02 PM

I hadn't read the whole thing and assumed it was just streaming the game disc data in a way to where you couldn't store/steal the game image. I guess this is what the corporate world uses for emulation now. They see how hard real emulation is and find a way to cheat. As for how fun it is from a gamer perspective, they have a free 7 day trial.

Ice Cream
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/20/16
Send PM

#358423 - 09/07/16 09:27 PM

I'm a Sony Hater since Playstation 3.
Please Sony go sell only home appliances, leave PC users alone and go to hell with your stupid exclusives.
Very Expensive for a year.
Better have a console mod chip and play them all.
The emulation is here and it's playable and it's free.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Sony moves their commercial emulator to the PC new [Re: Ice Cream]
#358428 - 09/07/16 09:39 PM

> I'm a Sony Hater since Playstation 2.
> Please Sony go sell only home appliances, leave PC users alone and go to hell with
> your stupid exclusives.

What an odd statement.

The PS2 is what I would consider to be the last of the 'real' consoles, and easily the high point of the industry. Even a lot of the best games on the PS3 were rereleases of PS2 games.

It was the generation before all this online stuff and DLC became the norm, it was the generation where a gold master really meant you had a game that played from start to finish without major issues because reputations actually depended on it.

It was an era where games had large amounts of actual side content without padding things out with award systems instead. These days every last inch of a game map seems to require so much detail things either end up being entirely copy-pasted pre-fabs or the games get streamlined, same for dialog with the expectation that everything is voiced now.

It was also an era where split-screen multiplayer was right there where you wanted it to be in the majority of games that needed it, ideal for having friends over.

It was also the last era where you were never sure what the next 'must buy' AAA title was going to be, the last one with a good selection of 3D platformers etc.

Seems a strange case for hating Sony that one.

That said, yeah, I think this thing is just some video streaming service, and considering how unplayable and laggy games are just streamed from one room of this house to another over a wired connection I still don't see how that tech is the future like some people predict.

Not saying everything of that era was perfect btw, but as far as games on their native systems were concerned it was definitely a high point, multiplatform ports could be a bit ropey (PC to PS2 didn't work well, see Deus Ex, and ports the other way tended to be lazy, but you can't really blame Sony for that)

Ice Cream
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Sony moves their commercial emulator to the PC new [Re: Haze]
#358448 - 09/08/16 03:24 PM

Haze - I'm a Pro Evolution Soccer fan and since 2014 i stop buying that junk because Sony force the exclusivity only to consoles and not for PC and XBOX. They remove the import kits we canīt do on PC because of mods. On XBOX the USB is disabled but that one is thier problem from Microsoft. Lucky i donīt have a XBOX, but i have the biggest butt hurt for years having the same game over and over. They sale a Hybrid game only to steal money from the consumers. They promisse in 2017 release the Next-Gen version, but i have 0 chances that will happen. A fanatic soccer fan doesnīt have the dream come true. Let's not forget Metal Gear Solid the missing mission. I hope all this drama ends next year because we are tired.

And again, i donīt hate Playstation 2, i hate Playstation 3 when becomes the but hurt of DLC's. What will happen when someone wants to buy a game with DLC's in the future and donīt have the DLC as preservation? FAIL. This company really donīt care about preservation.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#358451 - 09/08/16 05:25 PM

> There's no emulation here is there? Your client just sends your controller input to
> them, then their PS3 sends the video result back to you? The lag on that must be
> horrible, and the video must be blurry as hell.

It's quite playable for games that don't rely on "twitch" inputs (e.g. Super Puzzle Fighter Turbo), and the image quality is quite good - it's better than YouTube's 1080P preset.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Sony moves their commercial emulator to the PC new [Re: Ice Cream]
#358452 - 09/08/16 06:58 PM

> Haze - I'm a Pro Evolution Soccer fan and since 2014 i stop buying that junk because
> Sony force the exclusivity only to consoles and not for PC and XBOX. They remove the
> import kits we canīt do on PC because of mods. On XBOX the USB is disabled but that
> one is thier problem from Microsoft. Lucky i donīt have a XBOX, but i have the
> biggest butt hurt for years having the same game over and over. They sale a Hybrid
> game only to steal money from the consumers. They promisse in 2017 release the
> Next-Gen version, but i have 0 chances that will happen. A fanatic soccer fan doesnīt
> have the dream come true. Let's not forget Metal Gear Solid the missing mission. I
> hope all this drama ends next year because we are tired.
>
> And again, i donīt hate Playstation 2, i hate Playstation 3 when becomes the but hurt
> of DLC's. What will happen when someone wants to buy a game with DLC's in the future
> and donīt have the DLC as preservation? FAIL. This company really donīt care about
> preservation.

That's Konami's choice.. not Sony's choice..

also I suspect a large part of taking the import / export stuff away will have been pressure from FIFA etc. because it allowed people to bypass the kit / player / team licensing and you know the regulation bodies for football are not friendly.

Ice Cream
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358453 - 09/08/16 08:13 PM

Yeah but sony and fifa accepts is own console. Totally busted this criminals.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#358467 - 09/09/16 05:39 AM

> http://www.pcmag.com/review/347613/playstation-now-for-pc
>
> https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstationnow/

Better off stick to their PlayStation machines. Run faster and very smooth.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

gamerfan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/01/10
Send PM

#358471 - 09/09/16 09:06 AM

I agree. It's best to play them on a real PS3 console or wait for fully working non-commercial PS3 emulator.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Sony moves their commercial emulator to the PC new [Re: R. Belmont]
#358474 - 09/09/16 10:20 AM

Tried it with Mega Man 9 when it first came out as a judgement on how it'd handle that sort of thing. It was a bit worse than trying to play the Wii version on an HDTV (Wii version of MM9 is restricted to 480i, no 480p support at all)

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#358533 - 09/11/16 03:41 AM

>
> It was also an era where split-screen multiplayer was right there where you wanted it
> to be in the majority of games that needed it, ideal for having friends over.
>
> It was also the last era where you were never sure what the next 'must buy' AAA title
> was going to be, the last one with a good selection of 3D platformers etc.
>

What? Nintendo has always had this, and still does. Even with the Wii and Wii U (granted, the Wii U is kind of lacking in the AAA title selection, but it does have its gems). Even with the 3DS/2DS. They have been thumbing their nose at trying to pack the most powerful graphics hardware into their consoles, in favor of making games fun. Hell, Nintendo makes games specifically for parties. Quite enjoyable if you've ever bothered with a group of people...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Haze
Send PM

Re: Sony moves their commercial emulator to the PC new [Re: URherenow]
#358543 - 09/11/16 07:39 PM

> >
> > It was also an era where split-screen multiplayer was right there where you wanted
> it
> > to be in the majority of games that needed it, ideal for having friends over.
> >
> > It was also the last era where you were never sure what the next 'must buy' AAA
> title
> > was going to be, the last one with a good selection of 3D platformers etc.
> >
>
> What? Nintendo has always had this, and still does. Even with the Wii and Wii U
> (granted, the Wii U is kind of lacking in the AAA title selection, but it does have
> its gems). Even with the 3DS/2DS. They have been thumbing their nose at trying to
> pack the most powerful graphics hardware into their consoles, in favor of making
> games fun. Hell, Nintendo makes games specifically for parties. Quite enjoyable if
> you've ever bothered with a group of people...

I'm not really that into Nintendo myself, nor is anybody I know, the people with Nintendo systems don't really use them, they end up sat in cupboards gathering dust.

That said, I was always under the impression that Nintendo were one of the worst offenders for not bothering with original IP anymore, just sequel after sequel after sequel. The games might be different from the ones Microsoft and Sony put out but I'd struggle to say that any of the AAA titles were a surprise.

Also these days in terms of stature Nintendo seem to be seen as closer to the indie publishers anyway, the hyper surrounding the Nintendo systems is almost invisible, the local stores have maybe 1 shelf of Nintendo stuff vs 10 of the other platforms, last time I popped in there was actually more PC stuff on the shelves than Nintendo.

Plus historically Nintendo have always treated their fanbase like shit, even back to late 90s, shutting down fansites etc., so I'm always hesitant to go anywhere near them. They had improved a lot in recent years, but the last year or two has been back to bad old Nintendo again (demanding TAS videos of Mario / Mario hacks be removed from YouTube is definitely a low point)

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#358546 - 09/11/16 07:48 PM Attachment: original.jpg 132 KB (0 downloads)

> Plus historically Nintendo have always treated their fanbase like shit, even back to
> late 90s, shutting down fansites etc., so I'm always hesitant to go anywhere near
> them. They had improved a lot in recent years, but the last year or two has been back
> to bad old Nintendo again (demanding TAS videos of Mario / Mario hacks be removed
> from YouTube is definitely a low point)

Certainly true, but occasionally they do nice things:

Nintendo Sends a Lovely Legend of Zelda Care Package in Honour of a Young Fan

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Sony moves their commercial emulator to the PC new [Re: Qun Mang]
#358666 - 09/14/16 11:16 PM

> Certainly true, but occasionally they do nice things:

> Nintendo Sends a Lovely Legend of Zelda Care Package in Honour of a Young Fan

Beware Romulans bearing gifts....

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3318