View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

GSync or FreeSync?
#358164 - 09/01/16 04:57 AM

Getting ready to buy a new GFX card. Either a 1060 or an RX480. I don't want Nvidia if I can help it because GSync monitors cost more. Does FS perform just as well for MAME? My other question involves another feature of Nvidia's cards called FastSync. Would that feature benefit MAME in any way? From what they're saying, it is used in conjunction with GS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTYz4UgzCCU

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: GSync or FreeSync? new [Re: DiodeDude]
#358168 - 09/01/16 11:24 AM

I guess it is a personal taste thing. I wouldnt go the ATI route. You should carefully look at the specs of a FreeSync monitor. It seems that FreeSync is not bounded to a specification, so there are only a view monitors that can do 144Hz (which i think is the entry level for Nvidia) and those ones are not much cheaper.
If I would going to spend that much money for such a technology feature, I would like to have something of it. If you still want ATI, go for a monitor with at least 75Hz or better 100Hz, to enjoy that feature with MAME.
Also I would support the inventor of such technologies and not the ones, who make cheap copies of it, in a china-style manner. ATI is always behind Nvidia and mostly generate more heat inside a pc.
You could also wait for the first monitors with HDR and G-Sync/FreeSync. The graphic cards should be a lot cheaper then .

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Ended up buying an RX480 today new [Re: uman]
#358171 - 09/01/16 02:29 PM

I've seen where different monitors have different freesync ranges. This can be a problem if the specs for the monitor aren't readily available. I'm only interested in ranges of 50-75hz as this will cover any games I play in MAME. I play PC games, but they're more secondary. I do want something with reasonable power so I can play Doom, Star Citizen. The 1060 would be a definite go if not for the extra hardware and cost associated with gsync.

Another point for AMD is Freesync will be part of HDMI spec, meaning newer TVs will have support for it. That's good news for HTPC/MAME setups..

*Update* Got the Nitro RX480 4GB in today for $229. Was thinking of settling on a 470, but the 480 was only $20 more. At the current prices, the 470 makes no sense.

Edited by vram74 (09/01/16 11:49 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1763