#356392 - 07/11/16 10:35 PM

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/2016/07/the-last-stretch.html

LEVEL-4

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: AM2R... Soon. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#356393 - 07/11/16 10:49 PM

Never heard of it. It appears to be a group of people stupid enough to break a Nintendo copyright on the internet and then give them a full month countdown clock to have it taken down by their lawyers so it can never be released and their efforts be wasted. But I can't be bothered to read it.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: AM2R... Soon. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#356395 - 07/11/16 11:16 PM

> Never heard of it. It appears to be a group of people stupid enough to break a
> Nintendo copyright on the internet and then give them a full month countdown clock to
> have it taken down by their lawyers so it can never be released and their efforts be
> wasted. But I can't be bothered to read it.

Yeah, I've never really understood people doing this sort of thing myself.

"Hey Steve."
"Yeah Jon?"
"We've got a bunch of capable programmers, artists, and sound guys. What should we do?"
"That's a tough one, Jon. We could make a pretty good indie game, right?"
"Are you serious, Steve?"
"Haha, fuck no, of course not, let's make something we can't get paid for, which we won't be able to release on any major non-PC platforms or storefronts, which could be taken down at a moment's notice with one cease and desist, and which uses characters, environments, settings, and an entire in-game universe that was made by another company."
"Fuck yeah, Steve, now you're talking my language! Let's do another line and get fucking started!"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: AM2R... Soon. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#356396 - 07/11/16 11:22 PM

Most of that could be explained away by them being obsessed with the idea of it existing, but to announce it and put a countdown means they aren't even going to be able to release it. If it was released at the same time as announcing it, at least it would exist and be put on other sites since you can't take anything off the internet that has gone up. Now Nintendo will threaten them and it won't be released. Just plain fucking stupid.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#356397 - 07/11/16 11:33 PM

Big N is only interested for their Pokemons !
This game is so microscopic in their eyes, so they ain't gonna bother with it. AM2R is being developed almost a decade now and if Nintendo wanted they would be surely stopped the project long time ago.

P.S. Remember what happened to Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World on KickStarter ?! - (Canceled) is the subject of an intellectual property dispute and is currently unavailable.
(Capcom)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: AM2R... Soon. new [Re: CTOJAH]
#356398 - 07/11/16 11:37 PM

GNG was a different sort of situation since money was involved but I'm shocked that Nintendo hasn't shut this down if it's that old. It's a Metroid game and part of copyright law last time I checked says if you make no effort to protect your copyright, you can lose it.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: AM2R... Soon. new [Re: CTOJAH]
#356404 - 07/12/16 03:12 AM

> P.S. Remember what happened to Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World on KickStarter ?! -
> (Canceled) is the subject of an intellectual property dispute and is currently
> unavailable.
> (Capcom)

Damn Capcom. lol

Remember Maximo 3? Capcom pulled that plug. There is a Maximo 3 Unreleased prototype.

It may not get dump.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#356409 - 07/12/16 05:14 AM

> Yeah, I've never really understood people doing this sort of thing myself.
>
> "Hey Steve."
> "Yeah Jon?"
> "We've got a bunch of capable programmers, artists, and sound guys. What should we
> do?"

Other than some of the character art/designs, and animations, I'm pretty sure DoctorM64 is mainly the one doing all the programming, level layouts, and even music. That's hardly a "Bunch of" people.

But, I could be wrong.

Not that that makes any difference on whether he'll get a C&D 5 minutes from launch.

There's a demo available. Been available for quite a while now.

LEVEL-4

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#356413 - 07/12/16 06:16 AM

> > Never heard of it. It appears to be a group of people stupid enough to break a
> > Nintendo copyright on the internet and then give them a full month countdown clock
> to
> > have it taken down by their lawyers so it can never be released and their efforts
> be
> > wasted. But I can't be bothered to read it.
>
> Yeah, I've never really understood people doing this sort of thing myself.
>
> "Hey Steve."
> "Yeah Jon?"
> "We've got a bunch of capable programmers, artists, and sound guys. What should we
> do?"
> "That's a tough one, Jon. We could make a pretty good indie game, right?"
> "Are you serious, Steve?"
> "Haha, fuck no, of course not, let's make something we can't get paid for, which we
> won't be able to release on any major non-PC platforms or storefronts, which could be
> taken down at a moment's notice with one cease and desist, and which uses characters,
> environments, settings, and an entire in-game universe that was made by another
> company."
> "Fuck yeah, Steve, now you're talking my language! Let's do another line and get
> fucking started!"

They could always change all the graphics and release it as Project Meteoroid: SCamus' Adventure.

Really though. They should've just released it without any countdown. Like Smitty said, they're just opening themselves up to a takedown notice.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#356422 - 07/12/16 11:50 AM

> part of
> copyright law last time I checked says if you make no effort to protect your
> copyright, you can lose it.

You must have been looking at trademark law instead of copyright law the last time you checked. Retaining copyright requires no specific enforcement. Trademarks are what need active enforcement due to the concept of dilution under the Lanham Act, refer to part 3 here. Don't feel bad, a lot of people confuse the two.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: AM2R... Soon. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#356429 - 07/12/16 03:35 PM

I'm not sure a remake of Metroid 2 with more colours is something I'd want to play. I like its four-level greyscale charm.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: AM2R... Soon. new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#356435 - 07/12/16 10:48 PM

> I'm not sure a remake of Metroid 2 with more colours is something I'd want to play. I
> like its four-level greyscale charm.

I'm sure a remake of any Metroid that stuck to the graphics capabilities of two or more decades ago is something I wouldn't want to play. I played old games when they were new, and I don't need that now. Back then the graphics were the best they could be. The same should be true of modern games. I'm sick of all the crap that they're pushing, claiming retro styling.

jopezu
bread-train
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: AM2R... Soon. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#356541 - 07/15/16 10:27 PM

>Back then the graphics were the best they could be. The same should be true of modern games.

eat a big one.

i learned everything i know from KC

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: AM2R... Soon. new [Re: jopezu]
#356568 - 07/16/16 06:44 AM

> > Back then the graphics were the best they could be. The same should be true of
> modern games.
>
>
> eat a big one.

I'm not saying they need to be realistic, mind. They just shouldn't by 8x16 models when you've got 10 or 100 times that resolution, any more than Mario should have looked like he'd just stepped out of an Atari 2600 game.

There are just too many games right now that look like the belong on an NES and are best described as "Metroidvania with the fun stripped out." Why do I want to jump my blue scribble on your magenta platforms in a violet room on a black background while fighting red blobs?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: AM2R... Soon. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#356622 - 07/18/16 05:58 AM

> > I'm not sure a remake of Metroid 2 with more colours is something I'd want to play. I
> > like its four-level greyscale charm.
>
> I'm sure a remake of any Metroid that stuck to the graphics capabilities of two or
> more decades ago is something I wouldn't want to play. I played old games when they
> were new, and I don't need that now. Back then the graphics were the best they could
> be. The same should be true of modern games. I'm sick of all the crap that they're
> pushing, claiming retro styling.

I'm not saying I want to play a 4-level greyscale remake of Metroid 2, I'm saying I don't think the game wants a remake. I like it the way it is, 4-level greyscale and all. I'm happy to just play it in an emulator.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: AM2R... Soon. new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#356626 - 07/18/16 07:32 AM

> I'm not saying I want to play a 4-level greyscale remake of Metroid 2, I'm saying I
> don't think the game wants a remake. I like it the way it is, 4-level greyscale and
> all. I'm happy to just play it in an emulator.

So what you're saying is... You wouldn't even give this game a try?

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/p/project-am2r-demo-1.html

It's fine if you like the old one. But I don't think that means you can't enjoy this version too.

LEVEL-4

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 328 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2529