MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Thinking of some Dragon's Lair/Space Ace
#356007 - 06/28/16 02:47 AM

I've had Dragon's Lair and Space Ace on my mind recently (and to some extent DL II). Loved it back in the day and have had a couple different versions over the years like on Amiga and 3DO, and the 3D reboot on PC and Gamecube.

Anyway, I know I can (obtain and) use the MPEGs on an older version of Daphne, and I have looked into getting an old 25th anniversary DVD version on Amazon for use with Daphne 1.0 since newer releases aren't compatible with their agreement with Digital Leisure. Even the 25th anniversary PC version isn't compatible for some reason. Come to think of it, is Daphne even still alive? I visited the emu site and the info just seemed... old. If it is dead, then likely their agreement is as well and no more downloading their videos with proof of ownership of one of these DVDs.

Of course, I could just go modern and buy the games off Steam or Amazon, both of which have them on sale currently for $4.99 each. Of course these versions, while prettier-looking since they are in HD, are also cropped from the original to fit a 16:9 screen.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of this, particularly the remakes? The Steam sale goes on through this weekend (presumably Amazon as well to match the Steam sale) so I have time to think about this. I am leaning toward the modern versions myself. That way I would at least support the current owners of the IP and feel less guilty in using other MPEGs with Daphne to get the original 4:3 game.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Thinking of some Dragon's Lair/Space Ace new [Re: Qun Mang]
#356014 - 06/28/16 07:45 AM

I'm posting because this is really emuchat stuff: when 1.0 was released I manually selected the files for those games. Then they run fine. Also turn off auto-update.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

Re: Thinking of some Dragon's Lair/Space Ace new [Re: Traso]
#356017 - 06/28/16 03:35 PM

> I'm posting because this is really emuchat stuff: when 1.0 was released I manually
> selected the files for those games. Then they run fine. Also turn off auto-update.

I thought about posting this in emuchat, but I figured it would get lost as soon as someone commented on the Shadow Gangs thread, or worse- the really long Star Wars Arcade thread. Besides, I don't think people are avoiding the loony bin so they'll see the post here.

Good to know that I can actually use other mpegs with the newer Daphne rather than relying on their DRM-type system. I thought this sort of thing would preclude their agreement with Digital Leisure though?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#356021 - 06/28/16 05:16 PM

> > I'm posting because this is really emuchat stuff: when 1.0 was released I manually
> > selected the files for those games. Then they run fine. Also turn off auto-update.
>
> I thought about posting this in emuchat, but I figured it would get lost as soon as
> someone commented on the Shadow Gangs thread, or worse- the really long Star Wars
> Arcade thread. Besides, I don't think people are avoiding the loony bin so they'll
> see the post here.
>
> Good to know that I can actually use other mpegs with the newer Daphne rather than
> relying on their DRM-type system. I thought this sort of thing would preclude their
> agreement with Digital Leisure though?

Daphne is GPL tho, so whatever happens people can build it to run regular files.

Preservation should take precedence over any deals anyway, letting the original (low quality) LD footage rot / not be preserved / not be seen because of newer remastered stuff being sold would be a major facepalm, only an idiot would let that happen.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#356024 - 06/28/16 07:34 PM

> I thought about posting this in emuchat, but I figured it would get lost as soon as
> someone commented on the Shadow Gangs thread, or worse- the really long Star Wars
> Arcade thread.

Plenty of other threads get views there, no reason not to post there.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Thinking of some Dragon's Lair/Space Ace new [Re: R. Belmont]
#356025 - 06/28/16 07:41 PM

I wish there was an option for users to just collapse certain threads.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Thinking of some Dragon's Lair/Space Ace new [Re: Smitdogg]
#356030 - 06/28/16 09:11 PM

Can't we just lock the thread and make a "part n"?

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

Re: Thinking of some Dragon's Lair/Space Ace new [Re: Haze]
#356036 - 06/28/16 11:51 PM

> > > I'm posting because this is really emuchat stuff: when 1.0 was released I
> manually
> > > selected the files for those games. Then they run fine. Also turn off
> auto-update.
> >
> > I thought about posting this in emuchat, but I figured it would get lost as soon as
> > someone commented on the Shadow Gangs thread, or worse- the really long Star Wars
> > Arcade thread. Besides, I don't think people are avoiding the loony bin so they'll
> > see the post here.
> >
> > Good to know that I can actually use other mpegs with the newer Daphne rather than
> > relying on their DRM-type system. I thought this sort of thing would preclude their
> > agreement with Digital Leisure though?
>
> Daphne is GPL tho, so whatever happens people can build it to run regular files.
>
> Preservation should take precedence over any deals anyway, letting the original (low
> quality) LD footage rot / not be preserved / not be seen because of newer remastered
> stuff being sold would be a major facepalm, only an idiot would let that happen.

I don't disagree with you on preservation. Are you saying I shouldn't give any of my support/money for these remasters then? It looks like preservation of the discs may have already happened- MG mentioned in the news forum that:

Quote:

All I or any of the rest of the team know is that a very senior team member suffering from terminal Real-Life Syndrome (that is: got a house and family, generally won the arcade game we call "life", but unlikely to have time for MAME in the future) dumped several hundred gigs of LD captures in various forms onto the server the team keeps deep within its volcano lair. As far as I know, it's pretty much up to devs potentially interested in various LD games to pick over the uploads and assess whether or not there's anything useful there.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

#356037 - 06/29/16 12:06 AM

Hmm... Seems this thread is a bit redundant- I just found a thread from 2013 discussing this:
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...amp;o=&vc=1

Anyway, thanks all for your thoughts.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Thinking of some Dragon's Lair/Space Ace new [Re: BIOS-D]
#356039 - 06/29/16 01:30 AM

Yes but fragmenting the same subject in the archives arguably takes just as big of a shit on the forums.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#356040 - 06/29/16 01:32 AM

> > > > I'm posting because this is really emuchat stuff: when 1.0 was released I
> > manually
> > > > selected the files for those games. Then they run fine. Also turn off
> > auto-update.
> > >
> > > I thought about posting this in emuchat, but I figured it would get lost as soon
> as
> > > someone commented on the Shadow Gangs thread, or worse- the really long Star Wars
> > > Arcade thread. Besides, I don't think people are avoiding the loony bin so
> they'll
> > > see the post here.
> > >
> > > Good to know that I can actually use other mpegs with the newer Daphne rather
> than
> > > relying on their DRM-type system. I thought this sort of thing would preclude
> their
> > > agreement with Digital Leisure though?
> >
> > Daphne is GPL tho, so whatever happens people can build it to run regular files.
> >
> > Preservation should take precedence over any deals anyway, letting the original
> (low
> > quality) LD footage rot / not be preserved / not be seen because of newer
> remastered
> > stuff being sold would be a major facepalm, only an idiot would let that happen.
>
> I don't disagree with you on preservation. Are you saying I shouldn't give any of my
> support/money for these remasters then? It looks like preservation of the discs may
> have already happened- MG mentioned in the news forum that:
>
> All I or any of the rest of the team know is that a very senior team member suffering
> from terminal Real-Life Syndrome (that is: got a house and family, generally won the
> arcade game we call "life", but unlikely to have time for MAME in the future) dumped
> several hundred gigs of LD captures in various forms onto the server the team keeps
> deep within its volcano lair. As far as I know, it's pretty much up to devs
> potentially interested in various LD games to pick over the uploads and assess
> whether or not there's anything useful there.

no no, by all means buy the remasters if you enjoy them, you'll get a better experience than anything MAME can emulate because MAME will use the original footage which looks like ass compared to the new ones (and if you're not playing those games for the graphics, I don't know what you're playing them for)

they're really not comparable at all hence why not supporting the originals would be a bit stupid if it can be done.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

Re: Thinking of some Dragon's Lair/Space Ace new [Re: Haze]
#356042 - 06/29/16 04:55 AM

> > I don't disagree with you on preservation. Are you saying I shouldn't give any of
> my
> > support/money for these remasters then? It looks like preservation of the discs may
> > have already happened- MG mentioned in the news forum that:
> >
> > All I or any of the rest of the team know is that a very senior team member
> suffering
> > from terminal Real-Life Syndrome (that is: got a house and family, generally won
> the
> > arcade game we call "life", but unlikely to have time for MAME in the future)
> dumped
> > several hundred gigs of LD captures in various forms onto the server the team keeps
> > deep within its volcano lair. As far as I know, it's pretty much up to devs
> > potentially interested in various LD games to pick over the uploads and assess
> > whether or not there's anything useful there.
>
> no no, by all means buy the remasters if you enjoy them, you'll get a better
> experience than anything MAME can emulate because MAME will use the original footage
> which looks like ass compared to the new ones (and if you're not playing those games
> for the graphics, I don't know what you're playing them for)
>
> they're really not comparable at all hence why not supporting the originals would be
> a bit stupid if it can be done.

I do have the mpegs (not sure if they're as good as the ones the Daphne team offers up for download- I know Space Ace really looked pretty bad last time I ran it) so I can already play them using Daphne if I want, but these days I try to support owners when I can, though I suppose Digital Leisure aren't really the owners- they just license it too, correct? Of course some of the money would get back to Don Bluth and company. I'm thinking I will probably give it a go, at least for one title at first. $5 really isn't much, even for me.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#356050 - 06/29/16 06:46 AM

> I thought about posting this in emuchat, but I figured it would get lost as soon as someone commented on the Shadow Gangs thread, or worse- the really long Star Wars Arcade thread.

Only for those browsing in pre- thousand-six fashion. After logging in, each sub-fo I visit I collapse so I can see the topics, then open each one of interest in a new tab. Oftenly three or four at a time. Frequently enough in the same topic, as I'm thinking about where and how I want to respond, if I'm inclined. And so on....

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#356073 - 06/29/16 04:45 PM

How much money do they really deserve for a couple of short cartoons from the 1980s? When his kids retire on them maybe. They've already been way overpaid for them. I bet if they would have known another company was going to promise to pay them indefinite royalties over every new home media format to ever come out they would have made a lot more.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

Well that's that. new [Re: Qun Mang]
#356192 - 07/03/16 07:49 PM

Dear Digital Leisure:

If you can't be bothered to install everything needed to play your games, or even include documentation that says you need X codec, then I can't be bothered to buy any more of your games. Enjoy your $5 minus whatever Don Bluth's and Amazon's takes are.

Up to this point I had been just fine using Media Player Classic (HC) for my video needs, hence no reason to install any additional codecs. Yes, the game now works after installing K-Lite, but I shouldn't have had to.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Well that's that. new [Re: Qun Mang]
#356205 - 07/04/16 08:28 AM

> Up to this point I had been just fine using Media Player Classic (HC) for my video needs, hence no reason to install any additional codecs. Yes, the game now works after installing K-Lite, but I shouldn't have had to.

That's...kind of a smale gripe-HNH. Fuckin codecs, too many to go around is the problem. I've long gone by the advice of....Ciro?...or maybe Howard_Casto: MHC and CCCP. Does about everything, including obscure subtitles.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Well that's that. new [Re: Traso]
#356208 - 07/04/16 10:19 AM

Can't go wrong for 5 bucks a game regardless if you have the HD MPEGs or not.

It's pretty fun shopping the summer sale before expiration and even more so when you've been drinking beers

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 120 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2002