MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Brian Kendig
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/02/12
Send PM

waitvsync: on = sound hiccups, off = video ripples
#355715 - 06/16/16 03:08 AM

I'm running Mame 0.174 on Ubuntu 16.04 on a new Skylake i3 with Intel 530 graphics, on an LCD display.

In mame.ini, when I have waitvsync set to 1, there is a very slight hiccup to the audio every few seconds. If I set waitvsync to 0, the sound is fine but (of course) the video ripples slightly but noticeably when things are redrawn, as can be expected when the redraws aren't waiting for vsync.

How can I get the best of both worlds: smooth audio with solid video?

I see there used to be a name.ini setting for "triplebuffer", but it looks like that's gone now; and I see there's a new setting for "syncrefresh" but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: waitvsync: on = sound hiccups, off = video ripples new [Re: Brian Kendig]
#355716 - 06/16/16 03:21 AM

> I'm running Mame 0.174 on Ubuntu 16.04 on a new Skylake i3 with Intel 530 graphics,
> on an LCD display.
>
> In mame.ini, when I have waitvsync set to 1, there is a very slight hiccup to the
> audio every few seconds. If I set waitvsync to 0, the sound is fine but (of course)
> the video ripples slightly but noticeably when things are redrawn, as can be expected
> when the redraws aren't waiting for vsync.
>
> How can I get the best of both worlds: smooth audio with solid video?
>
> I see there used to be a name.ini setting for "triplebuffer", but it looks like
> that's gone now; and I see there's a new setting for "syncrefresh" but it doesn't
> seem to do anything.

I forgot how to fix the sounds issue. But I never could get the graphics quit doing that ripple rolling water line thing. It in the past and I stop messing with the Linux MAME version. I been using MAME for Windows instead.

Had you try out ALSA or pulse for the sounds? I don't know what you are using.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

#355717 - 06/16/16 04:01 AM

> I'm running Mame 0.174 on Ubuntu 16.04 on a new Skylake i3 with Intel 530 graphics,
> on an LCD display.
>
> In mame.ini, when I have waitvsync set to 1, there is a very slight hiccup to the
> audio every few seconds. If I set waitvsync to 0, the sound is fine but (of course)
> the video ripples slightly but noticeably when things are redrawn, as can be expected
> when the redraws aren't waiting for vsync.
>
>
> I see there used to be a name.ini setting for "triplebuffer", but it looks like
> that's gone now; and I see there's a new setting for "syncrefresh" but it doesn't
> seem to do anything.

No guarantees, but you might try the "refreshspeed" option along with syncrefresh or waitvsync. Things are a bit dodgy when you're running too fast or slow (afaik) because the system might not be generating sound samples fast enough (or too fast)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#355728 - 06/16/16 05:10 PM

You need a monitor, video card, and drivers that support the Nvidia "G-Sync" or AMD "FreeSync" standard. I believe recent Nvidia "blob" drivers for Linux do support this. With this technology, MAME is able to set the monitor to any refresh rate from 30 to 120 FPS, including oddball ones like Pac-Man's 60.60606060 FPS. This allows perfect audio with perfect video.

Otherwise it is not possible to simultaneously solve audio and video, unfortunately.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 301 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1790