MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

CLRMAME and Softlist roms giving me fits!
#354854 - 05/28/16 08:08 PM

Continuing my month-long bitching session about all things emulation related......

I have no problem using clrmame for arcade roms and chds. Softlist roms on the other hand makes me want to cut myself!

First I generated a datfile using stock mame exe and imported all softlists.....

Here is how my roms folder currently exists:

* devices/bios are dumped into the root of the roms folder.

* CHD's are separated into folders categorized by system name within roms folder. Each system CHD folder contains a folder for each CHD for that system.

* roms are separated by system in their own folder within the roms folder. nes, sms, coleco, etc.

MAME itself has no problem detecting my roms/chds with this configuration.

First problem I ran into is clr bitching about sysdefpaths. I tried auto-assigning them and clr just set everything to the roms folder. That doesn't work cause it still bitched. I had to manually go through each system I had and set the path. It simply doesn't see or look for child folders. It has to be told. Tried using the move sets option, thinking it would scan/put everything where it expects it to be and nope. Scanned and didn't move a damn thing.

After doing this, I got it to scan. Then it starts bitching about same named roms being duplicated within the roms dir. You can have an nes rom with the same name as a megadrive rom. clr doesn't understand they're different roms for two different systems.

Why doesn't clr just scan the roms folder and any child folder inside it?

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Help you out here. new [Re: DiodeDude]
#354855 - 05/28/16 08:15 PM

I always hit skip on the softwarelist when doing the MAME ROM's sets.

Here what I do. I drop the hash\(name of the system).xml into the clrmamepro profile window. Not loading the MAME at all. Just the *.xml file alone.

A lot easier than messing with MAME ROM's + softwarelist ROM's at the same time. It really is BS trying to do both and then you have to mess with all the other BS setups.

MAME and softwarelist shouldn't be loading at the same time anyway on the clrmamepro unless you want to mess with all the paths. Ronan should warn people about this.

Take a while get use to it.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Damn, thats much easier! THANK YOU!!!! new [Re: Dullaron]
#354861 - 05/28/16 08:25 PM

-nt-

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Re: CLRMAME and Softlist roms giving me fits! new [Re: DiodeDude]
#354943 - 05/29/16 09:13 PM

First of all, there is no need to generate a datfile. Profiler->create let's you import the data from the MAME binary directly which is the prefered method. At the end of the import cmpro asks you if you want to import software lists, too. (Dullaron...In that dialog is the warning you want to see).

Autoassign sysdefpaths tries to match your setup rompaths against the imported data and based on a highest-sum-per-softwarelists it decides which rompath belongs to which software lists. If you don't have any sets it will of course assign everything to your 1st rompath.

Why it simply doesn't scan childs, well, because there is an offical way how sets are stored. rompath\setname\file 1..file n for decompressed sets or rompath\setname.zip (.rar/.7z) for compressed sets. Even sets with subfolders are supported, so of course you can't simply put everything into one big folder with subfolders. You need to make yourself some thoughts about rompaths are organized.

But anyway, software lists are supported as single profiles anyway and combined with the batcher you can scan them in a queue. Simply use the xml files from MAME's hash folder within the profiler. The all-in-one-softwarelists-and-mame/mess is just one alternative.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: CLRMAME and Softlist roms giving me fits! new [Re: Roman]
#354953 - 05/29/16 11:51 PM

Quote:

Why it simply doesn't scan childs, well, because there is an offical way how sets are stored. rompath\setname\file 1..file n for decompressed sets or rompath\setname.zip (.rar/.7z) for compressed sets. Even sets with subfolders are supported, so of course you can't simply put everything into one big folder with subfolders. You need to make yourself some thoughts about rompaths are organized.

MAME by default has one roms folder. I have always been under the impression that additional roms directories are supported, but optional.

My arcade roms, devices and bios share the root of the roms folder and this has never been a problem. Arcade chds reside within their respective subfolders within the roms folder. Console (MESS) roms are separated by console. NES in one folder, megadrive in another, etc. Yes, they're all in the roms folder, but not all dumped together as they're subfoldered. MAME has no problem with this and detects/plays everything fine.

Leaving out the Sysdefpath stuff, the problem with clrmame is if I have an nes rom named XXX in one folder and a mega drive rom named XXX in another, its wanting to move the nes rom to the mega drive folder or vice versa. I think it was also incorrectly renaming rom files within the zip as well. Clrmame doesn't see that they're completely different roms for two different systems and even in separate folders. It's just seeing two zips with the same name and deciding one needs to go somewhere else. Seems like it should be matching hashes and doing something a bit more detailed than looking at names here.

Anyway, not knocking you or your work here. Importing the individual xml files from the hashes folder accomplishes what I needed without the problems/conflicts.

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Re: CLRMAME and Softlist roms giving me fits! new [Re: DiodeDude]
#354973 - 05/30/16 08:55 AM

Identical named sets shouldn't be a problem. However there are even byte-identical sets between different softwarelists. They are a bit more tricky. If you got a repeatable scenario (e.g. name the sets in question and your used paths) I will have a look.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: CLRMAME and Softlist roms giving me fits! new [Re: Roman]
#354991 - 05/30/16 07:48 PM

Created a duplicate of my MAME folder and experimented.....

First, I created a new MAME datfile, importing softlists. Second, I made a second roms folder in my MAME directory and moved the console game subfolders to it, leaving everything else as it was. I then added each console subfolder to the rom paths settings in clrmame.

With this configuration, clr runs as expected. I still don't understand why its such a problem for those subfolders to be in the roms directory, but whatever works I guess....

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 694 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2977