View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

XBONE controller = disappointed
#354599 - 05/24/16 05:03 AM

My quest for a PC controller with analog sticks and a great D-pad continues.....

Been using one of the new type 360 controllers with the adjustable d-pad. It was ok, but not precise enough for NES games like contra or ninja gaiden. On the arcade side, it fails the Street Fighter II and Ms. Pacman speed up hack tests. I experience missed moves and random directional mishaps.

Word on the net was the xbone controller had a much improved d-pad so I picked one up, along with a wireless dongle. $77 dollars later, I'm sad. So far, I'm just not seeing any improvement and now I have this audible clicking crap with every d-pad press to contend with. Why in 2016 is it so hard to get something so simple, right? I guess no one gives a shit about the d-pad because it's not used in 3-d games. Just an afterthought used for xbl arcade purchases played by people who don't know better and for menu navigation.

I bought quite a few of those Saturn USB controllers, but since they have no analog sticks, they're no good for certain games and wireless is a must for me. Two dogs and a cat demand that there be no wires strung across floor. Speaking of wires, that POS micro USB horseshit on the xbone controller is a joke. You all have a good idea what happens to charging ports on phones, right? Same exact thing will happen here, only quicker. No way the port on the controller survives long with any frequent movements. Too much stress on the port, period. Micro USB is shit and always will be.

Anyway, if you currently use a 360 controller on PC and are thinking of upgrading, save your money. Its not worth it.

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: XBONE controller = disappointed new [Re: DiodeDude]
#354600 - 05/24/16 05:35 AM

Maybe try the Mortal Kombat X gamepad.
Or perhaps the xbone elite would be superior.
I would test both in store to see if at least the clicking issue is resolved.
Many have said the xbone controller felt like a step backwards compared to the 360

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

#354607 - 05/24/16 10:35 AM

Quote:

Why in 2016 is it so hard to get something so simple, right?

..because the needs of emulation nerds looking to recreate the past isn't exactly at the forefront of the gamepad designers list of priorities.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

#354608 - 05/24/16 10:49 AM

Disappointed to hear this. Last time I read on the topic of the D-Pad - on this very site - there were claims that the new controller was a major step forward. I meant to pick one up, but the pricing for the controllers are obscene, imo. So I never got around to it.

I'll stick with the XBox controller I use. I guess at some point MS will stop making them........

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

#354611 - 05/24/16 03:23 PM

perhaps you can consider modifying a dpad to suit your needs better. i have done this before on many gamepads in the past i didnt like

see pic below:

if your dpad hits the diagonals too easily, shave off (eg. with a razor blade) some of the plastic (in the example pic below, the hollowed protruting rectangles) at the 4 points which make contact with the silicone buttons (shave off just a very little at a time because a very little makes a big difference trust me)

if the dpad doesnt hit the diagonals easily enough, then you would have to add something (eg thin plastic) inbetween the 4 points and the silicone (or, if the 4 contact points are hollow like in the picture below, better instead put epoxy adhesive in the 4 gaps, so it hardens and extends out of the 4 gaps a little, making them activate your 4 buttons/diagonals more easily

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: XBONE controller = disappointed new [Re: Vaughan]
#354614 - 05/24/16 07:25 PM

I'll keep testing mine to see if it breaks in over time, but I'm not optimistic.

*UPDATE: After playing some Street Fighter today, I'd have to say the D-Pad appears to actually be much worse than 360 controller version. Constantly having problems throwing fireballs and hurricane kicks.

Edited by vram74 (05/25/16 05:22 AM)

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#354616 - 05/24/16 08:51 PM

> Anyway, if you currently use a 360 controller on PC and are thinking of upgrading,
> save your money. Its not worth it.

I feel the controller is an improvement in many ways over the 360 controller. But many of your points are very true esp that micro usb connector. Why?!!!

The big one for me is they changed the triggers. It is an improvement in that now you can use them both at the same time. You can not on the 360 controller on the PC. Which explains a few frustrating moments on some games. It is considered 1 button not 2. No idea why they did that. However, now I have a bigger issue. 99% of the recent PC games out there expect the 360 controller triggers to work a particular way. So if you bump left trigger at all suddenly z axis is 0. Most games think you are pulling the trigger all the time now and right trigger does nothing as it is now a whole new control.

Build quality on the xbone controller seems better. But that technical issue holds me back from using it at all with no way to configure it. Supposedly you can trick the controller into thinking it is a 360 controller thru some driver trickery. Have not tried it yet.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: XBONE controller = disappointed new [Re: lharms]
#354618 - 05/24/16 09:33 PM

I thought the shoulder buttons were better as well. I have no major problems with the controller other than the micro USB port and the d-pad. The just aren't enough advances to warrant upgrading from a 360 controller, imo.

One other minor gripe: the wireless dongle is ridiculously large. Unless this thing has super duper range, it shouldn't be any larger than a micro receiver similar to what comes with keyboard/mice these days.

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

#354619 - 05/24/16 09:34 PM

Use a Wii Classic Controller Pro with mayflash's adapter. Nintendo D-pads are unmatched. Make sure it's a genuine controller.

Edited by anikom15 (05/24/16 09:35 PM)

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

I have & like this one... new [Re: DiodeDude]
#354636 - 05/25/16 08:31 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY

LEVEL-4

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: I have & like this one... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#354645 - 05/25/16 01:45 PM

When did you get yours? I bought one of those a few years ago and gave it away cause its d-pad was horrible and I mean horrible! Maybe its been improved.

Damn shame about the xbone controller. Could've been perfect for emulation as well as general PC gaming.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: I have & like this one... new [Re: DiodeDude]
#354651 - 05/25/16 03:52 PM

> Men did you get yours? I bought one of those a few years ago and gave it away cause
> its d-pad was horrible and I mean horrible! Maybe its been improved.
>
> Damn shame about the xbone controller. Could've been perfect for emulation as well as
> general PC gaming.

Hm... Well, I've had mine for probably about 2 years now. The one I had before that was actually an XB-360 controller.... It was smaller and bright green. Cool looking, but wasn't all that solid. I wouldn't recommend it for fighting games though.

Anyway, I can't say if the one you had before had the same D-Pad style that's on the one I have. I'll just say this, it reminds me of the Sega Saturn controllers D-Pad in the way it feels. I'm able to do fireballs, hurricane kicks, and "shoryukens" too (maybe a little bit of trouble using the Fierce/Top bumper when doing the dragon punch, but everything else I can do no problem). I think I could get more accurate control with it if it were a tad larger.

My point? If you don't like or can't use a Saturn styled D-Pad then there isn't anything else I can recommend to you.... Other than a full fledged arcade controller.

LEVEL-4

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#354653 - 05/25/16 04:06 PM

Meh, I might give the logitech another go, but I really need wireless. Love Saturn pads and as mentioned, I do have some USB versions that work, its just the whole wire thing....

I appreciate your help

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

I think some people have made wireless fight sticks.... new [Re: DiodeDude]
#354680 - 05/25/16 10:25 PM

Some of the manufacturers* may as well. Really, you might as well pay a hundred or so bucks for one. Arcade controls can't be replaced.

*I mean the mom and pop ones, though perhaps the Hori type do too....

While I've not always been accurate in plugging in my phone, I've never borked the port.....

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: I think some people have made wireless fight sticks.... new [Re: Traso]
#354696 - 05/26/16 02:41 AM

I see phone ports messed up all the time at work. People are careless. I sure don't hold my controller perfectly still while playing a game, not to mention controller see some anger induced abuse at times.

MS must've sourced a phone hardware engineer to help design the controller.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: I have & like this one... new [Re: DiodeDude]
#354703 - 05/26/16 04:51 AM

I have this one and it's not to bad or just use a cordless PS3 game pad.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/f710-wireless-gamepad

Edited by joey35car (05/26/16 05:00 AM)

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#354707 - 05/26/16 10:34 AM

> http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY

I still have two Dual Action controllers (pre-F310), the only complaint I have about Logitech is that they do not supply spare parts when the conductive rubber pads wear out. The simply expect you to just buy another, and another, and another, and another for the full cost every time the rubber pads fail and the buttons stick down and/or stop working. Instead, I just gut other broken controllers or buy replacement rubber pads for other controllers and adapt them to fit.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#354812 - 05/27/16 10:00 PM

Wireless fightsticks are not accepted within the fighting game community and probably wouldn't be trusted or liked in the hardcore shmup community either.

EVO has strict rules against wireless controls as they can interfere with a match in session, and the players don't trust them to be reliable.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I think some people have made wireless fight sticks.... new [Re: Firehawke]
#354817 - 05/27/16 10:46 PM

> EVO has strict rules against wireless controls as they can interfere with a match in session, and the players don't trust them to be reliable.

Ahhhh. So glad I ain't part o any o that.....

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/08
Send PM

#354838 - 05/28/16 10:03 AM

> Wireless fightsticks are not accepted within the fighting game community and probably
> wouldn't be trusted or liked in the hardcore shmup community either.
>
> EVO has strict rules against wireless controls as they can interfere with a match in
> session, and the players don't trust them to be reliable.

I've never seen proof they're unreliable, introduce any significant additional lag or whatever would get in the way of even the highest level of play, any genre.
It's just because people are being overcautious in tournaments, formal or not, and want to eliminate even the smallest possibility of signal loss/interference (or intentional disconnect from a distance).
Must admit it's annoying when the battery fails in the middle of a run/fight, but how often does that happen? Otherwise they're perfect, for sure shmuppers use wireless, most Hori of course. The interference paranoia isn't there though, as shmuppers only rarely play in groups/crowds.

> MAME isn't about playing the games anyway.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: I think some people have made wireless fight sticks.... new [Re: LensLarque]
#354847 - 05/28/16 06:10 PM

Unfortunately, there WAS an incident with a synced PS3 controller at Evo a year or two ago. One of the competitors had synced his PS3 controller and forgot to remove it from the system when his turn was done. The PS button got bumped and it interfered with a match in progress.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/08
Send PM

#354849 - 05/28/16 06:59 PM

Lol that sucks. This is also why I like good old fashioned switches, preferably on the belly.

> MAME isn't about playing the games anyway.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

#354859 - 05/28/16 08:22 PM

> > EVO has strict rules against wireless controls as they can interfere with a match
> in session, and the players don't trust them to be reliable.
>
>
> Ahhhh. So glad I ain't part o any o that.....

So true!

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I think some people have made wireless fight sticks.... new [Re: LensLarque]
#354928 - 05/29/16 08:00 PM

> Lol that sucks. This is also why I like good old fashioned switches, preferably on the belly.

GET IN MAH BE-LLY!

What came to my mind was using wireless, people could cheat. Hire a pro or friend who's awesome, and get the credit.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 317 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3585