MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jim1174
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/17/16
Send PM

Downloading two zip files ?
#354559 - 05/22/16 11:41 AM

if I download a game that says I also need to download a second zip file do I just take the files from the second zip and copy them to the file folder from the first zip file

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Downloading two zip files ? new [Re: jim1174]
#354561 - 05/22/16 01:31 PM

> if I download a game that says I also need to download a second zip file do I just
> take the files from the second zip and copy them to the file folder from the first
> zip file

No. Why on earth would you do that? You just put the second zip in your ROM folder too.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Downloading two zip files new [Re: jim1174]
#354565 - 05/22/16 07:35 PM

>if I download a game that says I also need to download a second zip file do I just take
>the files from the second zip and copy them to the file folder from the first zip file

* Excluding talk of anything that has entries documented within the hash folder (softlist related) *

I believe it should still be possible to have all rom files (ie: files within each zip file) to be uncompressed and crammed into the 'Rom' folder or whatever folder the user has the game roms stored in when running MAME. This method should only be used if using only one specific version of MAME and not doing any upgrades of MAME whatsoever. There are actually a couple folks I know that still use only .36 final version of MAME (released in early 2000) and are completely satisfied with that version and will not upgrade.

Most users do tend to upgrade to a newer MAME version when possible. For users that do update to a newer version of MAME, it is far better and easier to keep rom zipped files as a split parent/clone set instead of cramming all the rom files into a single folder.

Reason why is because of continual documentation improvements when pcb owners send in rom files dumped from their own pcbs. That part is always changing and which is why roms are always changing between versions of MAME. Recent example is Pit Fighter when an older version of the game was recently found.

-
just got the oldest version of Pit Fighter found so far - Rev 2. We have most of the revisions in mame already through Rev 9.
-

It is more manageable with having multiple rom files kept as a split parent / clone rom set in case of always updating versions of MAME.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 193 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1326