MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/08
Send PM

Filter to hide only bios and devices files in the games list ?
#354439 - 05/19/16 06:07 PM

I'm trying to get only the available games to show in the list (coz it's a bit messy with those bios and devices names all over)

So, is there a way to filter/hide only the 'bios' and 'devices' files in the UI ?
If there is, well, I've misssed or misunderstood something...

(Those are in separate folders btw, not in the 'roms' folder where I put only games roms)

Thanks.

(MAME 0.173 baseline w/ mame.ini, running on Win 7 or 8.1)

> MAME isn't about playing the games anyway.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Filter to hide only bios and devices files in the games list ? new [Re: LensLarque]
#354442 - 05/19/16 07:41 PM

Why not just manually tag everything you like and create a favorites listing?

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Send PM

Re: Filter to hide only bios and devices files in the games list ? new [Re: B2K24]
#354445 - 05/19/16 11:11 PM

I did it that way, but when a new mame is released, I have to check the diferences between avaliable and favourites, as far as a rom manager cant solve it at all. I have got about 3000 roms, and filtering bios, devices and mess roms avaliable by default, like genesis, should make the task easier, I think...

RETRODANUART.COM

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: Filter to hide only bios and devices files in the games list ? new [Re: LensLarque]
#354462 - 05/20/16 07:05 AM

Go to the custom option on the left and create a view that prunes out items you don't want. I have mine set to working, parents only to help me find missing icons/snaps when I create them.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Filter to hide only bios and devices files in the games list ? new [Re: B2K24]
#354467 - 05/20/16 06:20 PM

> Why not just manually tag everything you like and create a favorites listing?

Way too long to edit/a hassle.

> Go to the custom option on the left and create a view that prunes out items you don't
> want. I have mine set to working, parents only to help me find missing icons/snaps
> when I create them.

What do you mean ? Sorry I don't understand.
I see nothing to select or that I could edit that would do what I'm looking for (aside from spending hours creating a favourites folder).
I want to see all available games, parents and clones, just not the bios/device files.
If I select 'working' they're showing anyway.

Isn't there any way to create a filter myself ?

dankan1890
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/23/12
Send PM

#354472 - 05/20/16 10:03 PM

Bios and devices should be hidden by default, it seems strange that you will be able to see them in the list. Could you post a screenshot?
So to understand if there is an error and correct it as soon as possible

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Filter to hide only bios and devices files in the games list ? new [Re: dankan1890]
#354474 - 05/20/16 10:32 PM

Yes, here's the top, the rest of the list is the same.

*before someone says "there's only a few roms in your folder" it's just that I've moved most elsewhere atm, usually I have around 500~1000 or more.

dankan1890
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/23/12
Send PM

#354475 - 05/20/16 10:57 PM

That's just an informative text.
It's useful to help people understand if you have the complete set or not, eg reading 33309/33378 machines might think that there are some missing, but knowing that the 69 missing are BIOS means that you have the complete set. (Unless you also owns 69 BIOS)

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#354488 - 05/21/16 02:16 AM Attachment: 1.png 110 KB (0 downloads)

Those are actually valid machines in your list, not bios / devices.
They are all clones of 1292. See pic of IV/Play below. Perhaps you're confusing the BIOS/devices with actual MESS entries.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Filter to hide only bios and devices files in the games list ? new [Re: John IV]
#354495 - 05/21/16 05:31 AM

Do you guys understand I only want to see the GAMES I have in my roms folder ?

I don't care about all these whatever they are, they're in the way and making my list of arcade games a mess (no pun intended).

EDIT: I thought about bioses or devices because when I comment out the two folders in the .ini they're gone from the list.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#354502 - 05/21/16 11:17 AM

> Do you guys understand I only want to see the GAMES I have in my roms folder ?

I don't know about the people in this thread, but MAME devs understand it just fine, and the response has been, is, and will continue to be "No, we will not add a simple way to filter out all MESS systems, the whole point of merging MESS into MAME was to stop treating non-arcade machines as second-class citizens".

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

#354503 - 05/21/16 11:21 AM

> Do you guys understand I only want to see the GAMES I have in my roms folder ?
>
> I don't care about all these whatever they are, they're in the way and making my list
> of arcade games a mess (no pun intended).
>
> EDIT: I thought about bioses or devices because when I comment out the two folders in
> the .ini they're gone from the list.

Well, so just remove the corresponding roms from you bios folder...

... unless it's romless system (which seems to be the case here), then i agree with you you should be able to hide them from the available list.

I'm sure dankan will take care of it.

Edited by remax (05/21/16 11:26 AM)

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Filter to hide only bios and devices files in the games list ? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#354511 - 05/21/16 06:50 PM

> > Do you guys understand I only want to see the GAMES I have in my roms folder ?
>
> I don't know about the people in this thread, but MAME devs understand it just fine,
> and the response has been, is, and will continue to be "No, we will not add a simple
> way to filter out all MESS systems, the whole point of merging MESS into MAME was to
> stop treating non-arcade machines as second-class citizens".

I see. Well ok, thanks for clarifying.

PS: though having 'available arcades' instead of just 'available everything' to select would be awesome.
Or better a developable menu to select which type of system you want to display a list for.
Would greatly speed up browsing IMHO.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#354543 - 05/21/16 11:27 PM

> I see. Well ok, thanks for clarifying.
>
> PS: though having 'available arcades' instead of just 'available everything' to
> select would be awesome.
> Or better a developable menu to select which type of system you want to display a
> list for.
> Would greatly speed up browsing IMHO.

The long-term plan is to add some sort of internal means of classifying games that could (maybe) be extensible (maybe via lua) which you can then use to filter the internal list when using the built-in UI.

The idea is that it's not the end result that is necessarily the objectionable part, it's the idea of it being halfassed, and essentially being able to shunt away all of the MESS drivers fits the definition of halfassed. However, commits that add useful functionality that happens to have a side effect amenable to users are rarely - if ever - a problem. This is, for example, why MAME now supports the "hqx" shaders and so forth: The net impact on the quality of MAME's codebase is exactly zero by having entirely data-driven shaders that support these effects, no matter how much we disagree with them, and the net benefit is that other more "accurate" (for whatever your definition of that word is) shaders work too.

Similarly, having an arbitrary "no MESS consoles" switch is not okay, but having a filtering system that would allow you to select, let's say, machines with coin slots, a horizontal raster monitor, two 8-way joysticks and a trackball? Well, yes, you have the ability to just blindly say "Gimme everything with a coin slot" and you wind up with largely everything that was in MAME and none of what was in MESS, but the system is more well-thought-out than that and has clear benefits other than clearly just being a cop-out hack so people don't have to be tainted by MESS machines.

That's something that I think some people have missed when MAME developers reject a "kiddie-friendly" feature: There may not necessarily be something wrong with the feature in and of itself, and if you can make the ability for such a feature a possibility of a larger system that confers a more direct benefit to the project itself, then you stand a much better chance of getting your feature in. When I say "you" I mean the royal "you", by the way. This is why the bgfx backend now lets you have things like shaders, this is why the lua system now lets you have hiscore.dat functionality again, this is why eventually there will be hardware-accelerated 3D games via (mainly) bgfx: They're all features that at the time were infeasible due to insufficiencies in PCs at the time, but which are now a non-issue or now have better ways of being implemented in a more generic, clean way.

So yeah, I hear you, it's a pain in the ass to have to sort through various BIOS-less consoles, or fruit machines, or pinball machines, or gambling games when I'm trying to find a good arcade game to stream on Twitch. I feel you. But suffice it to say that while it's not possible now, and the team won't put in a short-sighted feature to make an arbitrary MAME/MESS filter possible, we do hear you guys and are planning on ways of enabling such things.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 479 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3857