MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: Street Fighter just got more hyper
#354296 - 05/16/16 03:57 PM

ShouTime dumped Street Fighter II Hyper Anniversary Edition (040202 Japan). I think it's the (rare as hell for some reason) final version.

Ashura-X
MAME Compiler!
Reged: 01/22/04
Send PM

Re: DU: Street Fighter just got more hyper new [Re: Smitdogg]
#354297 - 05/16/16 03:59 PM

Rare? Why?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Street Fighter just got more hyper new [Re: Ashura-X]
#354298 - 05/16/16 04:02 PM

Why were so few produced? You would have to ask Capcom. Maybe they felt a few arcades in Japan would be the only people who would need or notice the final changes. Shoutime says there are a bunch of other CPS2 final revs made for Japan arcades in existence as well that we've never seen for sale.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: DU: Street Fighter just got more hyper new [Re: Ashura-X]
#354301 - 05/16/16 05:20 PM

> Rare? Why?

They made a super tiny number of them. Probably hand-upgraded used PCBs or something rather than a full-scale production run.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#354311 - 05/16/16 08:02 PM

> Why were so few produced? You would have to ask Capcom. Maybe they felt a few arcades
> in Japan would be the only people who would need or notice the final changes.
> Shoutime says there are a bunch of other CPS2 final revs made for Japan arcades in
> existence as well that we've never seen for sale.

I love Japan games. Just the ones that doesn't have all that Japanese texts and stories.

Japan is where the goodies are at.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#354317 - 05/16/16 11:34 PM

> ShouTime dumped Street Fighter II Hyper Anniversary Edition (040202 Japan). I think
> it's the (rare as hell for some reason) final version.

I'm probably not the only one who has this question, but when Shoutime dumps rare PCBs like this one, it's not the same as him actually releasing the roms to MameDev so it can be added to Mame, right?

Is this PCB in that particular category?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

#354318 - 05/16/16 11:34 PM

Is there any noticeable differences that anyones seen?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Street Fighter just got more hyper new [Re: agard]
#354319 - 05/16/16 11:39 PM

I haven't talked with anyone who has played it but hopefully they made the AI way easier. Probably some character balancing if I had to make a realistic guess.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Street Fighter just got more hyper new [Re: Master O]
#354320 - 05/16/16 11:44 PM

No when something is announced dumped it's dumped and released. It's other boards that are in the other category, which is... "Japan won't yet allow it". For those I either won't say it's dumped, explain the situation, or... Some stuff I can't even announce a word about them yet.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

#354333 - 05/17/16 01:34 AM

Quote:

No when something is announced dumped it's dumped and released. It's other boards that are in the other category, which is... "Japan won't yet allow it". For those I either won't say it's dumped, explain the situation, or... Some stuff I can't even announce a word about them yet.

MAME having the dump is of course no guarantee you'll all be playing it soon in your favorite emulator this one was an easy clone addition that dropped into the driver with minimal code changes required the problems will come when a game needs a whole new driver from scratch or has heavy
encryption or protection.

Haze leaving will have a huge affect as i see it not only was he talented and experienced in this field but he was also prolific you only have to look at the commits for most of new arcade dumps to see his name pop up more than most with him taking a back seat now from the project i can only see a downwards trend in new arcade games being added to MAME then brought up to a fully working state but i could
be wrong about that time will tell i suppose.

Arcade Addict

agard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: DU: Street Fighter just got more hyper new [Re: gamez fan]
#354334 - 05/17/16 02:10 AM

We'll have to make an online Petition for HAZE to come back, but he only needs to look at his Dev page to see how much people appreciated his work. We all need a break from things as he has been doing this for more than 10 years so when he decides to come back he'll look at things from a nice & fresh perspective. He really did need a break & when he does come back he'll need to make sure he doesn't fall back into working on MAME everyday.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#354340 - 05/17/16 05:11 AM

> We'll have to make an online Petition for HAZE to come back, but he only needs to
> look at his Dev page to see how much people appreciated his work. We all need a break
> from things as he has been doing this for more than 10 years so when he decides to
> come back he'll look at things from a nice & fresh perspective. He really did need a
> break & when he does come back he'll need to make sure he doesn't fall back into
> working on MAME everyday.

I say it'd be better to leave him alone for now and let him clear his head.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#354378 - 05/18/16 10:41 AM

> We'll have to make an online Petition for HAZE to come back, but he only needs to
> look at his Dev page to see how much people appreciated his work. We all need a break
> from things as he has been doing this for more than 10 years so when he decides to
> come back he'll look at things from a nice & fresh perspective. He really did need a
> break & when he does come back he'll need to make sure he doesn't fall back into
> working on MAME everyday.

Funny how it's the users who can't seem to shut up about Haze, whereas the developers have more or less moved on and wish him the best, as we respect that real life takes precedence over free work.

This aside, Haze stepping down will allow other developers, or potentially new developers, to start contributing more often. Where you see a prolific developer, other developers saw someone who, for various reasons, was able to take first dibs on quite a lot of additions that would have been the perfect fodder for new and inexperienced contributors to get their feet wet.

In my opinion, it's unfortunate that he lamented the lack of anything simple for new developers to work on, when that situation was effectively one of his own creation. If you look at the list of commits to the git repository, you'll see that Scott "Tafoid" Stone is already dabbling in adding some of the newly-dumped clones, when previously he generally didn't touch the code. I wish Haze the best, and I do hope that he is eventually able to return to the project once he gets things in real life sorted out, but for now I see this as an opportunity for other people to start stepping up to the plate.

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

#354388 - 05/18/16 05:19 PM

> Is there any noticeable differences that anyones seen?

IIRC this fixes a few sound bugs.

HTH

Cheers,

Ralph.

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: Street Fighter just got more hyper new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#354389 - 05/18/16 07:57 PM

> > We'll have to make an online Petition for HAZE to come back, but he only needs to
> > look at his Dev page to see how much people appreciated his work. We all need a
> break
> > from things as he has been doing this for more than 10 years so when he decides to
> > come back he'll look at things from a nice & fresh perspective. He really did need
> a
> > break & when he does come back he'll need to make sure he doesn't fall back into
> > working on MAME everyday.
>
> Funny how it's the users who can't seem to shut up about Haze, whereas the developers
> have more or less moved on and wish him the best, as we respect that real life takes
> precedence over free work.
>
> This aside, Haze stepping down will allow other developers, or potentially new
> developers, to start contributing more often. Where you see a prolific developer,
> other developers saw someone who, for various reasons, was able to take first dibs on
> quite a lot of additions that would have been the perfect fodder for new and
> inexperienced contributors to get their feet wet.
>
> In my opinion, it's unfortunate that he lamented the lack of anything simple for new
> developers to work on, when that situation was effectively one of his own creation.
> If you look at the list of commits to the git repository, you'll see that Scott
> "Tafoid" Stone is already dabbling in adding some of the newly-dumped clones, when
> previously he generally didn't touch the code. I wish Haze the best, and I do hope
> that he is eventually able to return to the project once he gets things in real life
> sorted out, but for now I see this as an opportunity for other people to start
> stepping up to the plate.

Yes, I'm hoping other people step up and fill in that gap.

The issue is it's not always a 'low pressure' role, there is an expectation that things get handled in a timely way, and verified to be correct etc.

Other times I've taken a step back things have either not been done, or been done badly.

When I joined the team in the first place there was a mountain of such 'low hanging fruit' that had simply been piling up with nobody even bothering to look at it.

But, as I've made quite clear, I can't go on doing this forever, so I guess it's important for others to see (and maybe find out the hard way) that things need handling in a timely fashion with a high level of aptitude.

There's a lot of basic work needs doing for some of the dumps we get to verify that they're correct, which is why I've always put many hours into creating skeletons complete with decoded graphics etc. for anything that came our way, it's easy to underestimate such work (and quite often other devs would ask me to take care of such tasks because I was more efficient at working it out than they were)

but yes, there are things there for people to work on, people need to start working on them, I hope that happens. The project makes it easier than ever to contribute with everything public facing on GitHub, and with the Dumping Union being an external entity new dumps are generally readily available; the structure of things makes for greater opportunity than it did in years gone by.

if enough users can sign up for the official forum that would help the process even more.

I don't really agree that it's unfortunate that I lamented a lack of action, I have left plenty of things in the past that I've considered 'easy' and even pointed people at them in the past, but nothing seems to happen. I actually specifically left the video slot game "fresh: Fruit Fresh (Italy)" because it's probably easy enough, and the name is fitting for a 'low hanging fruit' case ;-) There are quite a few others too tho.

agard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: DU: Street Fighter just got more hyper new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#354411 - 05/19/16 12:24 AM

I don't know all the politics behind the scenes at Mame. But for someone like HAZE who's been doing it along time & saying I don't want him to leave, I would say the same about any of the Mame team leaving not just him, I just simply love all the things Mame team are doing in preserving & making playable all the arcade & console games. As for all us USERS were simply saying HAZE will be missed & as a thank you to what he has done for us USERS as at the end it was his free time he was contributing 10 years plus!

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#354426 - 05/19/16 08:50 AM

> I don't know all the politics behind the scenes at Mame. But for someone like HAZE
> who's been doing it along time & saying I don't want him to leave, I would say the
> same about any of the Mame team leaving not just him, I just simply love all the
> things Mame team are doing in preserving & making playable all the arcade & console
> games. As for all us USERS were simply saying HAZE will be missed & as a thank you to
> what he has done for us USERS as at the end it was his free time he was contributing
> 10 years plus!

New people will step in to take their place. Even if all of them leave.

I was thinking the people from Japan will take over the project some day. Blown the old MAMEDEV Team mind away.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Rich75
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/30/12
Send PM

#354430 - 05/19/16 12:47 PM

Sorry if I'm being really, really thick and noobie but MAME already has the following:

hsf2 Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition (USA 040202)
hsf2a Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition (Asia 040202)

If this Japanese release is also a 040202 revision then how different is it going to be to the existing versions, other than the language? Or are Japanese versions always different, even with the same revision number?

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: DU: Street Fighter just got more hyper new [Re: Rich75]
#354433 - 05/19/16 02:53 PM

> Sorry if I'm being really, really thick and noobie but MAME already has the
> following:
>
> hsf2 Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition (USA 040202)
> hsf2a Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition (Asia 040202)
>
> If this Japanese release is also a 040202 revision then how different is it going to
> be to the existing versions, other than the language? Or are Japanese versions always
> different, even with the same revision number?

In all of the (admittedly few) CPS2 games I've looked at, if the revision date is the same then the ROM data will be identical, just encrypted with a different key and with one changed byte that identifies the region. The game program uses the region ID byte to select which warning screen to display, what language to display text in, and whether to enable region-specific features like the WDUD screen for the US or the extra bookkeeping displays for Latin American regions.

That's why region hacks for CPS2 games are possible; you just have to change one byte and the game configures itself for that region.

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: DU: Street Fighter just got more hyper new [Re: AeroCityMayor]
#354435 - 05/19/16 02:59 PM

Yep: http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=2904

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 180 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3227