View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

kaptainsteve
Lurker
Reged: 10/02/03
Send PM

What's the trick with Mess?
#354087 - 05/10/16 02:41 AM

Hello, can anybody please tell me what's the deal with Mess? I have been a Mame guy for a lonnng time but can't figure out how to work the mess thing. I put SNES and NES and N64 roms in my cabinet but can't figure out what to do with Mame or Mess? There must be something that I'm missing? Is it built into Mame now and if so where, what and how? Thanks.... Steve

Edited by kaptainsteve (05/10/16 02:46 AM)

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: What's the trick with Mess? new [Re: kaptainsteve]
#354089 - 05/10/16 03:14 AM

> Hello, can anybody please tell me what's the deal with Mess? I have been a Mame guy
> for a lonnng time but can't figure out how to work the mess thing. I put SNES and NES
> and N64 roms in my cabinet but can't figure out what to do with Mame or Mess? There
> must be something that I'm missing? Is it built into Mame now and if so where, what
> and how? Thanks.... Steve

Merge to MAME. It there.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#354091 - 05/10/16 04:26 AM

> Hello, can anybody please tell me what's the deal with Mess? I have been a Mame guy
> for a lonnng time but can't figure out how to work the mess thing. I put SNES and NES
> and N64 roms in my cabinet but can't figure out what to do with Mame or Mess? There
> must be something that I'm missing? Is it built into Mame now and if so where, what
> and how? Thanks.... Steve

MESS doesn't exist anymore, all of the drivers that were supported by MESS have since been rolled into MAME. So now MESS and MAME are one and the same.

To run SNES games, you'll need snes.zip, since the console had some dumpable ROMs that are necessary to emulate the baseline system. Know how you need neogeo.zip to run Neo-Geo arcade games in MAME? Exactly the same thing. For the NES, you shouldn't need a BIOS, and for the N64, I think I can safely advise you as the person who's put the most work into the driver that you're better off using a standalone Nintendo 64 emulator.

Once you have snes.zip and any other of the expected ROM sets (again, just treat 'em like any normal BIOS set in MAME), you have two options: Software lists, or -cart.

Software lists are more analogous to the existing ROM sets supported by MAME, as they are identified by a "short name" (similar to how 'puckman' is the short name for 'Puck-Man', and 'mspacman' is the short name for 'Ms. Pac-Man') and can comprise multiple separate files in a single ZIP. In that case, you specify the software list entry as a second parameter in addition to the normal machine parameter that you supply.

So, to run Mega Man 3 (US), rather than typing:

mame puckman

You would type:

mame nes megaman3u

However, much like MAME will typically not start a game if ROM files are missing when starting a coin-op game, it applies similarly strict rules to the naming and checksums of the individual files in a softlist entry. If it doesn't match what MAME expects, it will either print out an error and exit, or it will run after printing out a warning, exactly as it does with normal coin-op games.

If you'd prefer to be able to just throw a .nes or .smc or whatever file at MAME, then the better choice is to use the "-cart" option.

Suppose, for example, that I had a cartridge entitled "Mega Man 3 (US).nes" inside a subdirectory called "software" that exists in the same directory as the MAME executable. In this case, to run the game, I would type this:

mame nes -cart "software/Mega Man 3 (US).nes"

At which point MAME should start up as expected with that particular game running.

Finally, to the rest of you on these forums who think that I'm unjustifiably harsh to people asking questions, make a note of this post in your calendars, because it's something that I'm loath to repeat: I don't have a problem with people asking questions politely who've obviously done their homework in advance, I just have a problem with people asking questions who are rude, ignorant, or who otherwise seem to give the impression that they think their time is more valuable than everyone elses'. So anyone who isn't kaptainsteve can shove it up their own ass - I helped him not to prove a point, but because his post was well-written, concise, gave all of the necessary information to answer his questions, and he generally didn't come across as even a fraction of the self-entitled asshole that some of you people do.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Uhm, the only thing you didnt do was say 'post in emuchat'... new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#354097 - 05/10/16 07:09 AM

Which would've gotten greater visibility.....

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

kaptainsteve
Lurker
Send PM

Re: What's the trick with Mess? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#354121 - 05/10/16 07:49 PM

@MooglyGuy,

Thanks for your in depth answer.
I realize that you put a lot of time and though into it.

I will need some time to study it a bit.
Although I've used mame for a long time, I am in over my head with implementing Mess.

You mentioned the SNES.zip... what's that and where do I put it?

Also, you mentioned that for N64 one is better off using a stand alone emulator, which do you recommend? I am installing them in my arcade cabinet and want to be able to operate them all off the control panel, joystick and buttons and have run into some issues a common one being the exit function and assigning it to buttons,,, but I digress.

Like I said, I'll give your answer a bit more studying because I'm still a bit lost. Sometimes, no almost always, I need things explained to me like I'm a six year old.

Thanks.

Steve

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#354123 - 05/10/16 08:22 PM

> @MooglyGuy,
>
> Thanks for your in depth answer.
> I realize that you put a lot of time and though into it.
>
> I will need some time to study it a bit.
> Although I've used mame for a long time, I am in over my head with implementing Mess.

You're way overthinking this. If you've used MAME for a long time, you already know how to use MESS. You just think you don't.

> You mentioned the SNES.zip... what's that and where do I put it?

Let's back up: Do you at least understand how to run arcade games in MAME? Like, how to run Frogger, you need frogger.zip in your "roms" folder, and that frogger.zip needs to contain the exact files inside of it that MAME is looking for?

> Also, you mentioned that for N64 one is better off using a stand alone emulator,
> which do you recommend? I am installing them in my arcade cabinet and want to be able
> to operate them all off the control panel, joystick and buttons and have run into
> some issues a common one being the exit function and assigning it to buttons,,, but I
> digress.

Maybe Mupen64plus in RetroArch would work well for you. I wouldn't know, as I haven't touched N64 "emulators" in years. I put "emulators" in quotes because most N64 "emulators" don't actually emulate half the console. It's a technical thing, so pay it no mind.

kaptainsteve
Lurker
Send PM

#354125 - 05/10/16 09:34 PM

Like I've said, I've run Mame in the cabinet for years since version 61 (from memory) maybe even a few before that one. So, to the degree of installing and setting up and running mame I'm ok. I just have no clue where Mess is in Mame (how to get it operating, where to put roms, and how to assign directories for mess or even configure it). Thanks again for your help and patience.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#354126 - 05/10/16 09:45 PM

> Like I've said, I've run Mame in the cabinet for years since version 61 (from memory)
> maybe even a few before that one. So, to the degree of installing and setting up and
> running mame I'm ok. I just have no clue where Mess is in Mame (how to get it
> operating, where to put roms, and how to assign directories for mess or even
> configure it). Thanks again for your help and patience.

Okay, so let's use the Commodore 64 as an example, and compare it to Frogger, the arcade machine.

Arcade machines have ROM chips on a circuit board, which need to have their contents dumped in order to be emulated in MAME.

The Commodore 64, too, has ROM chips on a circuit board, which need to have their contents dumped in order to be emulated in MAME.

To run Frogger, you need the contents of each ROM chip, each in a separate file, compressed in a ZIP file called frogger.zip, which resides in your roms/ directory.

To run the Commodore 64, you need the contents of each ROM chip, each in a separate file, compressed in a ZIP file called c64.zip, which resides in your roms/ directory.

This is, again, why I stress that for all intents and purposes, it's the same thing. There is no "MESS" anymore. There are no "MESS" drivers anymore. MAME is MESS.

The only thing that's different is that if you want to start a system that has a cartridge slot, you can additionally point MAME at that cartridge by passing "-cart [full path and filename to the cartridge that you want to run, like software/SNES/Super Mario World.smc, if that's where you put it and that's what you're trying to run]". That's it. Done.

That having been said, I think you're a bit confused.

MAME is a command-line application. Always has been. Yet you say you've been running MAME in a cabinet. So unless you have a keyboard and mouse hooked up to your cabinet, and you've been typing something like "mame frogger" in front of a little thing that looks like "C:\>", you actually haven't been using MAME. In that case, you have either been using a derivative build of MAME, which is unsupported and which it's unlikely anyone will be able to help you with, or you were using stock MAME in conjunction with a separate frontend - which, again, is not part of MAME, and which the developers can't reasonably be expected to support you with.

So: When you started these games on your cabinet back in the day, using MAME, what exactly did you do and type?

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#354127 - 05/10/16 10:07 PM

He has to be using a front-end if he's using a cab. If that's the case go to the forum of that front-end and I'm sure someone will help you. Also try starting just clicking on MAME.exe as there is now a built in UI which might give you some ideas how things work now.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: What's the trick with Mess? new [Re: joey35car]
#354128 - 05/10/16 10:20 PM

> He has to be using a front-end if he's using a cab. If that's the case go to the
> forum of that front-end and I'm sure someone will help you. Also try starting just
> clicking on MAME.exe as there is now a built in UI which might give you some ideas
> how things work now.

This. Just give it a try. You're not going to make your cabinet explode by typing the wrong thing, and it would save everyone involved a lot of time.

Dullaron
Send PM

*DELETED* new [Re: Dullaron]
#354139 - 05/11/16 01:08 AM

Post deleted by Dullaron

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: There is softwarelist files for the nes, snes and more. new [Re: Dullaron]
#354151 - 05/11/16 10:15 AM

> Look for the hash folder. Use those to drop into the clrmamepro. Kind of like the
> .dat files and loading the mame.exe onto the clrmamepro.

Dude, just read his posts, he isn't going to know even remotely what you're talking about. Go watch Sesame Street or something.

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: There is softwarelist files for the nes, snes and more. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#354152 - 05/11/16 12:51 PM

> > Look for the hash folder. Use those to drop into the clrmamepro. Kind of like the
> > .dat files and loading the mame.exe onto the clrmamepro.
>
> Dude, just read his posts, he isn't going to know even remotely what you're talking
> about. Go watch Sesame Street or something.

He just confused. Like me when I'm stuck on something.

Helping him is teaching him. Which you were helping him. Just take some time until he get it.

I been there. You known that. Even Haze known me already.

By the way. Why is this still in the Loony Bin?

Anyway I deleted my post.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#354155 - 05/11/16 02:20 PM

Just to clarify, when dealing with systems that have multiple softlists, it is wise to specify -cart for softlist items as well (or -cass or -flop, if you are emulating an home computer)
In this way you have full control of which game it will be loaded

so that if you want to run an arcade machine or a system with no game loaded you run

> mame puckman
> mame c64
> mame saturn

if you want to run an home system with a software inserted, via softlist, you run

> mame nes -cart megaman3
> mame c64 -flop1 basil
> mame saturn -cdrm nights

if you want to run the same via fullpath, you run

> mame nes -cart "my_software/Mega Man 3 (US).nes"
> mame c64 -flop1 "my_software/c64/Basil the Great Detective.g64"
> mame saturn -cdrm "my_software/nights into dream.chd"

of course the file could be zipped or 7zipped...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 335 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1944