Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Haze: Winding Down new [Re: redk9258]
#354031 - 05/09/16 03:50 AM

> Page won't load for me. Whaddit say?

Haze looks to be withdrawing from Mame:

Quote:

Haze said:

I’ve been doing emulation work in various forms since I was about 17, which means somewhere in the region of 18 years now, with MAME work being a large part of that.

Working on something like MAME gave me a purpose in life, helped pull me through many dark times, even allowed me to prove to myself that despite not having the most stable of backgrounds at home, nor the best set of qualifications at the time, I could achieve something, and make a difference.

Lately tho, that passion for doing this is gone, the only reason I’m still contributing is a fear that if I stop contributing things won’t get done correctly, things will be missed, not checked quickly enough to spot when extra data needs to be collected (a lot of what we do is time sensitive as we work with other people who don’t always hold on to / have access to their hardware for long periods of time)

The number of updates here has been declining, that is reflective of this, and while I’ve tried to find sparks of inspiration for public MAME work I still haven’t managed to, and a lot of the interesting work is behind the scenes, might not even see the light of day.

Despite the project being around for so many years there are still people putting their own ego ahead of it too, purposely refusing to co-operate, acting like they’ve been hard done by when in reality they haven’t at all. It’s quite sad to see that after all this time attitudes like that remain because in the end they’re not harming the project, they’re harming the future.

This isn’t an attack on those people however, I have no fight left in me for that, and I’ve never liked fighting anyway, it’s just a message to say that you’re probably not going to see any major MAME developments or promotion from me here in the future, it feels like a burden and I need, for my own sake, to be able to let it go and just trust that other people won’t undo the hard work that has been put in.

I’ve set my MAME email feeds to a lesser read / checked part of my mailbox, so I’ll likely only read them passively from now on.

In conclusion, I just don’t have any real interest in this any more it’s been 18 years of giving, without really taking anything back except the knowledge that we’ve made a better future for other people by helping ensure a lot of history will survive for a lot longer than it would have otherwise. I need to focus on myself, need to concentrate on actually making a living for myself, earning something, building myself a future, finding a new purpose using the skills I have.

- Haze

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Haze: Winding Down new [Re: Master O]
#354049 - 05/09/16 12:13 PM

"Despite the project being around for so many years there are still people putting their own ego ahead of it too"

He's one to talk. And to head the inevitable response off at the past, I already know I have an ego too. I can smell my own kind.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: Haze: Winding Down new [Re: Master O]
#354055 - 05/09/16 02:30 PM

Not the first time Haze has said he's done with MAME although this time his words do have a certain finality about them 18 years is a longtime a lifetime really to be working on the same project day in month out maybe he'll get the bug again one day or maybe not
all we can do is thank him for his contributions and wish him well.

Arcade Addict

Coherencia
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/25/16
Send PM

Re: New story, good luck, Haze, I respect you (:. -nt- new [Re: Robbbert]
#354068 - 05/09/16 06:47 PM

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Congrats... new [Re: Coherencia]
#354071 - 05/09/16 08:19 PM

I hope all of you fawning, doe-eyed fans who are making heartfelt "OMG plz don't go Haze " posts realize that you're completely playing into his hands.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Congrats... new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#354073 - 05/09/16 08:59 PM

Hey MooglyGuy, I love You

PoorKenny
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/04/12
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Send PM

#354083 - 05/10/16 12:45 AM

> I hope all of you fawning, doe-eyed fans who are making heartfelt "OMG plz don't go
> Haze " posts realize that you're completely playing into his hands.

Didn't you kinda just do the same thing though?

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: Haze: Winding Down new [Re: Robbbert]
#354084 - 05/10/16 12:48 AM

Been reading the comments on Haze's site they tend to fall into two catagorys those that wish him well and those that still wish him well but can he fix "insert whatever here" before he goes

Arcade Addict

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: Congrats... new [Re: PoorKenny]
#354086 - 05/10/16 01:23 AM

> > I hope all of you fawning, doe-eyed fans who are making heartfelt "OMG plz don't go
> > Haze " posts realize that you're completely playing into his hands.
>
> Didn't you kinda just do the same thing though?

The difference being that I explained my standpoint on a forum where it's painfully obvious that I have no supporters or friends, dropped the mic, and have made an utterly minimal level of contributions since then. The only commits I've made have been entirely self-serving, because I got sick and tired of having to spend 2 minutes readjusting the BGFX sliders whenever I wanted to stream a game that I was playing. If Haze can keep to his word and stay away from the project, more power to him, but given the fact that I've seen a post both here and a post on the Bannister forums from his fanboys, the writing is clearly on the wall as to why he made this long, laborious blog post painting him as some poor, downtrodden martyr who's work is unappreciated. I couldn't hope to manipulate people as well as he does, that motherfucker should be having a starring role on Game of Thrones for fuck's sake.

People seem to think that me distancing myself from the project means that I can't post here anymore, but I'm here to tell you that that isn't the case. If anything, it means I have to take even less shit from morons because I don't answer to anyone anymore.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Congrats... new [Re: CTOJAH]
#354088 - 05/10/16 03:13 AM

> Hey MooglyGuy, I love You

I love Haze and Moo... more.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#354167 - 05/11/16 08:24 PM

> > > I hope all of you fawning, doe-eyed fans who are making heartfelt "OMG plz don't
> go
> > > Haze " posts realize that you're completely playing into his hands.
> >
> > Didn't you kinda just do the same thing though?
>
> The difference being that I explained my standpoint on a forum where it's painfully
> obvious that I have no supporters or friends, dropped the mic, and have made an
> utterly minimal level of contributions since then. The only commits I've made have
> been entirely self-serving, because I got sick and tired of having to spend 2 minutes
> readjusting the BGFX sliders whenever I wanted to stream a game that I was playing.
> If Haze can keep to his word and stay away from the project, more power to him, but
> given the fact that I've seen a post both here and a post on the Bannister forums
> from his fanboys, the writing is clearly on the wall as to why he made this long,
> laborious blog post painting him as some poor, downtrodden martyr who's work is
> unappreciated. I couldn't hope to manipulate people as well as he does, that
> motherfucker should be having a starring role on Game of Thrones for fuck's sake.
>
> People seem to think that me distancing myself from the project means that I can't
> post here anymore, but I'm here to tell you that that isn't the case. If anything, it
> means I have to take even less shit from morons because I don't answer to anyone
> anymore.

With comments like

"I'm not above vandalism to get what I want, you know, I suggest Micko and OG just do as I ask"

on bannister.org

I'm more inclined to think you're the only one looking to go Game of Thrones on everyone.

Not sure what you think I'm trying to achieve anyway. For the first time in a long time I'm happy with where the project is, believe it to be in good hands, and feel it the right time to focus on who I am as a person rather than MAME.

MAME has been a good place to hide from my problems, it gave me the ability to kill off the real me who I didn't know how to deal with when I was a teenager and focus on goals where who I was didn't really matter at all. That doesn't really fix anything tho, so yeah, as I've said in my statement, I need to shift my focus back to me, put myself and my needs first for the first time in almost 2 decades, can't hide forever even if I still don't know how I'm going to deal with some things.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: Congrats... new [Re: Haze]
#354169 - 05/11/16 10:17 PM

> With comments like
>
> "I'm not above vandalism to get what I want, you know, I suggest Micko and OG just do
> as I ask"
>
> on bannister.org
>
> I'm more inclined to think you're the only one looking to go Game of Thrones on
> everyone.

Why, because neither Micko nor OG would acquiesce to remove my Github access and my mailing list access? At least I was able to take care of the former by manually leaving the organization, I'm still not quite sure how to do the latter on my own.

> Not sure what you think I'm trying to achieve anyway. For the first time in a long
> time I'm happy with where the project is, believe it to be in good hands, and feel it
> the right time to focus on who I am as a person rather than MAME.
>
> MAME has been a good place to hide from my problems, it gave me the ability to kill
> off the real me who I didn't know how to deal with when I was a teenager and focus on
> goals where who I was didn't really matter at all. That doesn't really fix anything
> tho, so yeah, as I've said in my statement, I need to shift my focus back to me, put
> myself and my needs first for the first time in almost 2 decades, can't hide forever
> even if I still don't know how I'm going to deal with some things.

And good for you, you deserve your time off. Meanwhile I can't start not thinking about the project until I stop getting fucking mailing list e-mails, so it's this giant albatross around my neck right now adding more stress to my already overly-stressed life, and I resent the fact that your transition away has gone smoothly whereas I have what look like devs trying to staple me back onto the project despite (initially) rather reasonable requests to just let me leave.

Just look at half the posts on these forums, people don't want me on the project, if anything I'm giving people what they want. In a few weeks once I get the necessary supplies to walk into the sunset, I'll finally be fully done with everything.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#354188 - 05/12/16 02:00 PM

> Just look at half the posts on these forums, people don't want me on the project, if
> anything I'm giving people what they want. In a few weeks once I get the necessary
> supplies to walk into the sunset, I'll finally be fully done with everything.

I don't believe that ANYBODY (at least on the outside) wants anybody off of the project. It's doesn't take reading many posts from you for people to decide that they don't want to see them, but I don't believe anything negative was ever said about your contributions to the project. Every commit made is appreciated by at least thousands...

And, I'm really not trying to ruffle your feathers here, but is there no easy way to simply block email from the list, if that's your wish? I mean, if nobody does it for you, just make a spam filter that looks for certain keywords in the subject and body, that has more than X number of recipients.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#354189 - 05/12/16 03:16 PM

> Why, because neither Micko nor OG would acquiesce to remove my Github access and my
> mailing list access? At least I was able to take care of the former by manually
> leaving the organization, I'm still not quite sure how to do the latter on my own.

As you know, it is done. Up to now, after a day or two you were not interested in leaving anymore, so leaving you a little wind-down time has proven repeatedly to be a good strategy for all of us. No this time, though, so you're removed from the list, and there's no problem with that either. Enjoy your indefinite break, hope your stress level is going to go down now :-)

OG.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: Congrats... new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#354434 - 05/19/16 02:57 PM

Heyze can you put force feedback into mame's driving games b4 U go?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3673