MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mikeky
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/27/16
Send PM

Gorf colors in astro battles, possible alternate version
#353575 - 04/27/16 04:34 PM

I was wondering if anyone is working on fixing the extra bright colors in this game? Specifically the first level. I don't know enough to look into it. It was assigned way back in 2008 but nothing has been done. Its a shame because it's a real classic IMHO.

Also, I remember playing Gorf or a clone in a small arcade room in Sears back in the early 80s. It had an astro battles level that was black with white twinkling stars. An early version of the stand alone Gorf emulator had a very close representation. It was later changed, but I disinctly remember a black background and stars on that level in the arcade. The machine was a mini stand-up of Gorf(or a clone of Gorf). Anyone else remember that?

Anyone know if those colors can be fixed?

mikeky
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Gorf colors in astro battles, possible alternate version new [Re: mikeky]
#353862 - 05/03/16 02:06 AM

Saw a video with a very dark background for gorf scene 1. Maybe there is a alternate version still floating around.

Read elsewhere that the astrocade.h has some wrong color values that probably cause the over saturation of light blue. Also read that the red shimmering is possibly caused by bad arcade components according to some people who repair the arcade machines. My memory of the shimmering effect on red colors is not very good.

Matt Garrett
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/06/19
Send PM

#385950 - 04/17/20 10:19 PM

I think I can answer this.
I have an original GORF card rack that does exactly this.
It is a fault on the game board.
U11, 12,17 and 20 add the star data to the video signal.
I am not aware of ever having seen a bootleg boardset for GORF.

mikeky
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Gorf colors in astro battles, possible alternate version new [Re: Matt Garrett]
#386188 - 05/12/20 05:27 AM

That is good news to me. Thought I was having a Mandela effect problem. There was a stand alone emulator for gorf that had an old version that showed a black background with starfield in astro battles.

Could you upload a picture so colors can be compared? I'm interested to see the saturation and color bleeding.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#386189 - 05/12/20 09:51 AM

>

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#386196 - 05/12/20 06:48 PM

What we want....

Edited by sirscotty (05/12/20 07:11 PM)

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

Re: Gorf colors in astro battles, possible alternate version new [Re: sirscotty]
#386198 - 05/12/20 07:12 PM

vs what we got

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Gorf colors in astro battles, possible alternate version new [Re: sirscotty]
#386203 - 05/13/20 01:13 AM

-
https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=2682

Date Submitted: Nov 26, 2008
-

After seeing Robbbert's link of very old MT bug entry....I forget that entry was from a long time ago.

https://thumb1.zeppy.io/d/l400/pict/1140...-working-2-left

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/ARC_Gorf_%28Astro_Battles%29.png

I was guessing maybe the video hardware utilizes some analog pcb discrete components on Astrocade hardware to generate video output, but that would have been mentioned by now.

In the meantime.....I am thankful Microvision is now working.

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: Gorf colors in astro battles, possible alternate version new [Re: gregf]
#386204 - 05/13/20 03:31 AM Attachment: Gorf.png 359 KB (0 downloads)

Adjusting brightness helps the background, but we really come much closer when dropping gamma.

65% less gamma, background looks a lot better but of course all other colors are off:

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

mikeky
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Gorf colors in astro battles, possible alternate version new [Re: Matt Garrett]
#387583 - 08/23/20 08:11 PM Attachment: 2020-08-23.png 2834 KB (0 downloads)

Finally came across a video about gorf arcade repair that had some footage of the version i played so many years ago. It was due to a bad chip. The version with a black background is toward the end of the video. I guess I shouldn't say version but maybe it was a common problem that showed up so much it seemed like a different rom set to me when remembering.

Anyways here is the youtube clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4YvNTDQTTI
Maybe we can get this color bugged fixed in astro battles since Aaron Giles is back on the scene. It would be cool to have an alternate version that played like the bad chipped one. Maybe an HBMAME set for bad chipsets.

It's error 02682 and looks like includes error 07618 for anybody that can fix it....

Here's a screenshot (Mandela Effect Solved for me)

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by mikeky (08/23/20 08:23 PM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Gorf colors in astro battles... new [Re: mikeky]
#387584 - 08/23/20 08:48 PM

>Finally came across a video about gorf arcade repair that had some footage of the version
>I played so many years ago. It was due to a bad chip. The version with a black background
>is toward the end of the video. I guess I shouldn't say version but maybe it was a common
>problem that showed up so much it seemed like a different rom set to me when remembering.

>Anyways here is the youtube clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4YvNTDQTTI

Good job on tracking down what you were asking about earlier. If this was a common problem with astrocade hardware (Gorf coinop units), I can see it maybe being added as a hardware info faults within the source file that way it would be noted that it was an actual issue so that way it removes any future unnecessary searches for some 'alternate' version in the future.

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/astrocde.cpp

iirc, Midway also had some newsletter bulletin info so there could be something about Gorf from way back then. Midway did have bulletin additional sheets describing specific known issues that came with paperwork (service manual, schematics) with delivered cabs.

I am guessing maybe Andy Welburn might have something on hand of info regarding astrocade hardware.

>Maybe we can get this color bugged fixed in astro battles since Aaron Giles is back on the
>scene. It would be cool to have an alternate version that played like the bad chipped one.
>Maybe an HBMAME set for bad chipsets.

For now, time to celebrate this update.

sc01: Fix pitch and closure [O. Galibert]

wow, gorf: Fix sc01 hookup [O. Galibert, Frank Palazzolo, plgDavid]

Note that the dynamic clock changes will sound bad until Aaron's sound
stream fixes are in.

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/e59030aa3d35ef42e240344b77a1505b14ac64b7

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

I wouldn't worry about the colors. new [Re: mikeky]
#387586 - 08/23/20 10:53 PM

There some arcade games that have different colors. From alt and prototype.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: I wouldn't worry about the colors. new [Re: Dullaron]
#387587 - 08/23/20 10:59 PM

> There some arcade games that have different colors. From alt and prototype.

That might be worthwhile advice if it was relevant.

mikeky
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Gorf colors in astro battles... new [Re: gregf]
#387593 - 08/24/20 01:29 AM

so further investigation yields some more intrigue.
Turns out there are other rom versions. Maybe 3 total.

See link:
https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads...attempt.391248/

It looks like the black background astro battles is one of those rom foreign boards...??? Program 2 roms.

There would seem to be a set of Gorf roms that haven't been properly dumped(maybe lost overtime).

The above link did mention something about Mame rom dumps but honestly most of this is way over my head. Anyway Jacklick and Commander Dave would be the guys that would probably know for sure, Jacklick doesn't mention anything wrong in his video when the foreign board has different colors. Maybe this is how that set was suppose to look?

Who knows maybe they could dump those missing roms and give to mame maintainers?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2813