MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Best Pinball Machine.... evah! Your rack and opinion?
#353471 - 04/25/16 05:42 PM

I dunno, man. Never collected pinball, so if I have only one (or two) machines, I want them to be bang for my buck.

But I made the call to add a bonafide pinball to my arcade selection... so I'm doing early research.

Bonus features would be:
1. New manufacture would be nice, since old machines break. Not a requirement, though.
2. Fun. This should be feature #1. Why isn't it? Reorder these in your mind. Fun is #1.

Some machines I keep seeing on top lists include, in no particular sign I'm more compatible with:

A. Twilight Zone
B. Medieval Madness
C. Monster Bash
D. Attack From Mars
E. Fun House
F. Addams Family
G. Indiana Jones
H. Golden Eye
I. Fireball
J. Pinball Circus (only two ever made, damn)
K. Gottlieb Challenger Pinball
L. Theater of Magic (poor long term playability?)
M. Creature from the Black Lagoon
N. Wizard of Oz

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: Best Pinball Machine.... evah! Your rack and opinion? new [Re: GatKong]
#353484 - 04/25/16 09:46 PM

I have an Addams and will never sell.
Always wanted a Funhouse, too.
I mostly prefer a mix of older titles and
rotate them over time. An oldie but
goodie is Eight Ball Deluxe.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

So, you need to fill the lobby of your home theater? (nt) new [Re: GatKong]
#353486 - 04/25/16 11:25 PM

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#353493 - 04/26/16 01:58 AM

I'd like to have a Scared Stiff, Funhouse, Eight Ball Deluxe and a Royal Flush. I've never seen an RF in the wild but I've played the DOS Amtex version so much I'd love to try it in person.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Best Pinball Machine.... evah! Your rack and opinion? new [Re: Andrew]
#353496 - 04/26/16 02:34 AM

> I'd like to have a Scared Stiff, Funhouse, Eight Ball Deluxe and a Royal Flush. I've
> never seen an RF in the wild but I've played the DOS Amtex version so much I'd love
> to try it in person.

I'd like to have that girl at the entrance to my HT in my bed.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#353500 - 04/26/16 04:54 AM

Twilight Zone and Addams Family are definitely both fun. Addams Family is one for the hardcore pinball player though - high difficulty and steep learning curve. A good choice for casual pinball players is Tommy - it's pretty forgiving on being nudged, not much of a learning curve, easy to get lots of time out of a single play. That makes it unattractive for operators (doesn't pull in much money), but great to have at home to play with friends/family.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Best Pinball Machine.... evah! Your rack and opinion? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#353516 - 04/26/16 09:58 AM

> it's pretty forgiving on being nudged,

Can't you disconnect the tilt switch? (or just twist the wires together... dunno if those make or break a connection )

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Best Pinball Machine.... evah! Your rack and opinion? new [Re: URherenow]
#353517 - 04/26/16 10:30 AM

> > it's pretty forgiving on being nudged,
>
> Can't you disconnect the tilt switch? (or just twist the wires together... dunno if
> those make or break a connection )

Yeah if you want to completely disable the tilt function, you can disconnect the sensors entirely. Modern pinballs often have two sensors: tilt sensor and nudge sensor. The tilt sensor is for detecting hard knocks or picking up one end of the table, which results in instant loss of credits.

The nudge sensor detects smaller bumps/nudges, and the game won't penalise you unless to trigger it too many times in too short a time period. The number of nudges you can get away with before you have to back off varies depending on the game. Bumping the table to get the ball where you want it without tripping the game's penalty threshold is part of the fun, so the game would lose something if you disconnected it.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#353555 - 04/27/16 05:02 AM

I have a nephew (who is actually a tad older than me), and it seems like he really enjoys a 'Star Trek - The Next Generation' pinball machine. Either that, or he brags about always getting the high score on it.

As for me? Well, WinXP had that Space Cadet thing...

LEVEL-4

Toe-Knee
Send PM

#353592 - 04/27/16 09:18 PM

Fun House is a great game and probably one of my favorites in your list. I like some older ones I played in my childhood (off the top of my head) that are fun too that you may want to look into as well like High Speed, Bad Cats, Black Knight 2000, Taxi, Elvira, and Banzai Run which is great with a separate mini game on the back panel.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Tilt sucks..... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#353611 - 04/28/16 06:48 AM

I think they're pot-controlled, though.

Tilt and nudge sensors were necessary for location, and these days almost NEVER. The kids (under 40, especially under 30) don't even fuckin think of bumping the table. And those who know tend to be gentle. I am - and yet some tables are set with cunt hair triggers. Pisses me the fuck off - but I bitch and get another credit.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Best Pinball Machine.... evah! Your rack and opinion? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#353612 - 04/28/16 06:50 AM

> I have a nephew (who is actually a tad older than me), and it seems like he really enjoys a 'Star Trek - The Next Generation' pinball machine. Either that, or he brags about always getting the high score on it.

> As for me? Well, WinXP had that Space Cadet thing...

Space Cadet is a cool table and all. I have it in my front end under PC Games.

ST:TNG is okay, but totally not all that. I think it's more a dork thing. The mark of a great table is its capacity to lead you into learning it, without having to play the fuck out of it, let alone read the instructions. TNG AIN'T that.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Best Pinball Machine.... evah! Your rack and opinion? new [Re: Toe-Knee]
#353613 - 04/28/16 06:55 AM

> Fun House is a great game and probably one of my favorites in your list. I like some older ones I played in my childhood (off the top of my head) that are fun too that you may want to look into as well like High Speed, Bad Cats, Black Knight 2000, Taxi, Elvira, and Banzai Run which is great with a separate mini game on the back panel.

High Speed continues to defy my comprehension why people ever loved High Speed. FFS. Bad Cats is cute, but not a 'great' table'. Taxi's pretty cool. Elvira is all-time.

Funhouse is a ki-ller table. They obviously ripped off the Chuckie or whatever 80s stuff.

Foremost: Gat, if you're not a pinball enthusiast, I don't know as I'd recommend getting one. Or maybe you need one so you can become one. In that case, your posted list has most of the one's I'd recommend - but people, obviously, have bizarre tastes, so who can say.....

Harry111
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/06/16
Send PM

#353960 - 05/06/16 02:47 PM

Thats cool list!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 176 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2104