View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space
#353114 - 04/17/16 08:48 PM

First, the screenshots. I'm linking them since the screenshots are 1920x1080 and I don't want to break the layout of the board. All of them have various configs for the screen in the center, just ignore that, as it's the standard hlsl.json.

Star Sweep, 25% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/o9YohXO.png

Arkanoid, 100% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/Hufs7n2.png

Arkanoid, 25% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/QtpriZ3.png

Ibara, 0% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/PANfyGg.png

The way you use it is you take the file in artwork\bgfx\border_blur\default.lay, and copy it into a correctly-named artwork folder for the game you want to use it with. Say, you'd create a folder called artwork\ibara and copy default.lay into it.

Then, when running from the command line, use either -view0 Horizontal or -view0 Vertical depending on whether it's a vertical or horizontal game, and then choose the correct pillarboxing shaders:

Horizontal games: -bgfx_screen_chains hlsl,pillarbox_left_horizontal,pillarbox_right_horizontal

Vertical games (orientation 1): -bgfx_screen_chains hlsl,pillarbox_left_vertical,pillarbox_right_vertical

Vertical games (orientation 2): -bgfx_screen_chains hlsl,pillarbox_right_vertical,pillarbox_left_vertical

Give it a spin, and have fun. I didn't really like the effect originally, but I have to admit it's beginning to grow on me.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#353117 - 04/17/16 09:29 PM

Awesome! MG

I appreciate this post with precise instructions and command lines to use so it will be super simple to get running.

Thanks for all your work

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: B2K24]
#353118 - 04/17/16 10:13 PM

> Awesome! MG
>
> I appreciate this post with precise instructions and command lines to use so it will
> be super simple to get running.
>
> Thanks for all your work

Thanks man, but it's really not in the state I'd like it to be in quite yet as far as usability. I feel like it should be possible to specify a single preset file that combines both a layout and a set of screen chains for that layout, I just need to figure out a good clean way of doing it. People shouldn't have to go copying .lay files around just to use it.

Malmanian
Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: スウェーデン
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#353138 - 04/18/16 08:11 AM

Amazing! I´ve seen many TV channels and also videos on YT during the past few years using these effects when showing older 4:3 content and I always thought that this was only possible in post production and after effects. The possibilities in MAME seems endless now . Excellent work! This also eliminates the need for a boring and static generic bezel for vertical games that many of us have been using all these years.

Can you please zip and share the "border_blur" directory & files for those of us that are still on the official 0.172 and not the latest SVN. Thanks in advance.

By the way how heavy are these effects on the CPU or GPU? Best regards

----
“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” --Albert Einstein

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Malmanian]
#353139 - 04/18/16 08:53 AM

> Can you please zip and share the "border_blur" directory & files for those of us that
> are still on the official 0.172 and not the latest SVN. Thanks in advance.

It won't work with 0.172 - you need to be on latest git if you want to try new features before release.

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#353140 - 04/18/16 09:45 AM

> I feel like it should be possible to specify a single preset file that
> combines both a layout and a set of screen chains for that layout, I just need to
> figure out a good clean way of doing it. People shouldn't have to go copying .lay
> files around just to use it.

I wish you good luck and success with it and hope it will make it into 0173, which in turn will again have some very nice things for shader enthusiasts and i dont mean only this very nice feature here .

I know you told me to discuss my request (the PM i send) at a later time, but i just have one single question, that could save me a lot of time: is it even possible to load a texture with BGFX, that lies "under" the gamescreen, the opposite of a "overlay" artwork file so to say?
thank you in advance.

Malmanian
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#353141 - 04/18/16 09:52 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll wait for 0.173 instead since I usually avoid installing the latest git on my main cab nowadays when official mame releases are monthly. Cheers

----
“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” --Albert Einstein

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

"...cool as h*ll" new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#353142 - 04/18/16 09:56 AM

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...amp;o=&vc=1

You were right.

LEVEL-4

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Malmanian]
#353145 - 04/18/16 01:09 PM

> Amazing! I´ve seen many TV channels and also videos on YT during the past few years
> using these effects when showing older 4:3 content and I always thought that this was
> only possible in post production and after effects. The possibilities in MAME seems
> endless now . Excellent work! This also eliminates the need for a boring and static
> generic bezel for vertical games that many of us have been using all these years.

Thank you for the kind words!

> Can you please zip and share the "border_blur" directory & files for those of us that
> are still on the official 0.172 and not the latest SVN. Thanks in advance.

As Vas pointed out, it's currently only available with what's currently on Github. That's good news, though - this means I'll probably have even more cool features for the shader system by the time 0.173 comes out!

> By the way how heavy are these effects on the CPU or GPU? Best regards

It's not very heavy on the CPU. On the GPU, I can imagine it might require decent pixel shaders, but 70's and 80's games are still really fast when unthrottled on my machine, so I don't think it will be that bad.

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: uman]
#353156 - 04/18/16 06:40 PM

> > I feel like it should be possible to specify a single preset file that
> > combines both a layout and a set of screen chains for that layout, I just need to
> > figure out a good clean way of doing it. People shouldn't have to go copying .lay
> > files around just to use it.
>
> I wish you good luck and success with it and hope it will make it into 0173, which in
> turn will again have some very nice things for shader enthusiasts and i dont mean
> only this very nice feature here .
>
> I know you told me to discuss my request (the PM i send) at a later time, but i just
> have one single question, that could save me a lot of time: is it even possible to
> load a texture with BGFX, that lies "under" the gamescreen, the opposite of a
> "overlay" artwork file so to say?
> thank you in advance.

Well I guess the bgfx shaders allow different blending modes

But even without that if you load a texture then you can do whatever you want with it. So you can read a sample from the background texture, read a sample from the game source texture, and then, you know, add them together, or take the maximum, or multiply them, or whatever you want to do with them.

I haven't tried reading in any textures yet in a bgfx shader but since the aperture mask effect works in the hlsl chain, I guess texture loading must work. Although the shadow mask texture might be "special" since it's defined in the mame.ini instead of just in the shader json.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: SoltanGris42]
#353167 - 04/18/16 09:04 PM

First, thanks for the explanation, but i still dont know if you can put a texture under the gamescreen, because all your examples are over the gamescreen... scanlines, shadowmasks, basically the whole hlsl chain is on top of the gamescreen. There is no example of a texture that is under a screen and for my approach, i wouldnt need the blending modes.

Just in case if you wonder why i want a texture under the gamescreen: because if distortion fx like curvature, corners and/or integer scaling is used, i dont want a simple black background around it. With a underlying texture, the distortion fx would reveal that texture.

Edited by uman (04/18/16 09:13 PM)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: uman]
#353169 - 04/18/16 09:16 PM

> First, thanks for the explanation, but i still dont know if you can put a texture
> under the gamescreen, because all your examples are over the gamescreen... scanlines,
> shadowmasks, basically the whole hlsl chain is on top of the gamescreen. There is no
> example of a texture that is under a screen and for my approach, i wouldnt need the
> blending modes.
>
> Just in case if you wonder why i want a texture under the gamescreen: because if
> distortion fx like curvature, corners and/or integer scaling is used, i dont want a
> simple black background around it. With a underlying texture, the distortion fx would
> reveal that texture.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's something I'm working on.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#353176 - 04/18/16 10:19 PM

> Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's something I'm working on.

fantastic news... man of the hour

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

#353180 - 04/18/16 11:08 PM

Wow, that was fast. Cool stuff!

B2K24
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Shoegazr]
#353197 - 04/19/16 05:37 AM

Messing around with 2 screens

http://imgur.com/DRRJEIB

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#353246 - 04/19/16 11:17 PM

> Excellent work! This also eliminates the need for a boring and static generic bezel for vertical games that many of us have been using all these years.

You want moving objects around your screen image?? As for the bezel itself, um, because that was the experience playing the cab, yo.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Took saving the image and magnifying it about 300%... new [Re: B2K24]
#353248 - 04/19/16 11:21 PM

for it not to be artifacted....hmmmm...the lines look like when I've run double-refresh native resolution on a PC monitor. Drawn and not drawn are the same thickness. Need some blur in there. Also, the color looks washed out. I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing in this shader....

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Re: Took saving the image and magnifying it about 300%... new [Re: Traso]
#353249 - 04/19/16 11:32 PM

It's the stuff on the sides. Not the actual game image.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

OH. I noticed but obviously didn't get that. Carry on.... [nt] new [Re: anikom15]
#353253 - 04/20/16 12:04 AM

Malmanian
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Traso]
#353305 - 04/20/16 03:12 PM

> > Excellent work! This also eliminates the need for a boring and static generic bezel
> for vertical games that many of us have been using all these years.
>
>
> You want moving objects around your screen image?? As for the bezel itself, um,
> because that was the experience playing the cab, yo.

I was talking about generic bezels for lesser known games (a single vertical.png file for all 3:4 games that many of us have been using as a workaround solution with some source modifications) and not specific cab art bezel artworks. As a 70s and 80s kid I love the cab specific marquee/side-arts and bezels sometimes even more than the game itself. Many lesser known conversion kits never had any bezels of their own or in best case used an ugly single colour bezel with no artwork on it.

----

Malmanian
Send PM

#353307 - 04/20/16 03:27 PM

> It's not very heavy on the CPU. On the GPU, I can imagine it might require decent
> pixel shaders, but 70's and 80's games are still really fast when unthrottled on my
> machine, so I don't think it will be that bad.

Many thanks for working on this! I'm pretty sure that this will indeed become very popular on YT soon for those that are capturing MAME footage .

Is this a D3D exclusive and does it also require some specific bgfx_screen_chains with HLSL or can it be used with OpenGL as will for older systems?

I’m really looking forward to v0.173 or later when this is officially added to the source. Best regards.

----

B2K24
Send PM

#353309 - 04/20/16 04:25 PM

> Many thanks for working on this! I'm pretty sure that this will indeed become very
> popular on YT soon for those that are capturing MAME footage .
>
> Is this a D3D exclusive and does it also require some specific bgfx_screen_chains
> with HLSL or can it be used with OpenGL as will for older systems?
>
> I’m really looking forward to v0.173 or later when this is officially added to the
> source. Best regards.

Not to try and speak for MG, but this has nothing to do with D3D. This is showing off BGFX in action.

If you're on 0.172 you can run with -video bgfx -bgfx_screen_chains hlsl and TAB into the sliders flipping Enable Adjustments to On

This way you can at the very least see if it works on your system if you wish to try it.

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/08
Send PM

#353311 - 04/20/16 04:40 PM

This is really, really cool.

Malmanian
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: B2K24]
#353321 - 04/20/16 11:54 PM

> > Many thanks for working on this! I'm pretty sure that this will indeed become very
> > popular on YT soon for those that are capturing MAME footage .
> >
> > Is this a D3D exclusive and does it also require some specific bgfx_screen_chains
> > with HLSL or can it be used with OpenGL as will for older systems?
> >
> > I’m really looking forward to v0.173 or later when this is officially added to the
> > source. Best regards.
>
> Not to try and speak for MG, but this has nothing to do with D3D. This is showing off
> BGFX in action.
>
> If you're on 0.172 you can run with -video bgfx -bgfx_screen_chains hlsl and TAB into
> the sliders flipping Enable Adjustments to On
>
> This way you can at the very least see if it works on your system if you wish to try
> it.

Thanks for the reply. I tested bgfx the way you mentioned when 0.172 was released out of curiosity (for example: "mame.exe -video bgfx -bgfx_screen_chains hlsl wboy" and it works fine that way but a bit slow on my system.

I'm just having problems to get it work with the glsl shader that I'm using and I'm also running MAME in OpenGL mode since my video drivers and system runs much better with that renderer. MAME bgfx documents mentions that it is possible to use opengl as bgfx_backend but I'm just not sure why it disables my glsl shader as well.

I use HLSL and D3D on my main HTPC but for now I'm only limited to glsl and opengl on my cab. It's not an ancient machine by any means but the CPU is my bottleneck as well as the GPU (i5-2400S CPU ~2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM and GeForce GT 640, Win7x64).

Best regards

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

#353323 - 04/21/16 12:25 AM

> > > Many thanks for working on this! I'm pretty sure that this will indeed become
> very
> > > popular on YT soon for those that are capturing MAME footage .
> > >
> > > Is this a D3D exclusive and does it also require some specific bgfx_screen_chains
> > > with HLSL or can it be used with OpenGL as will for older systems?
> > >
> > > I’m really looking forward to v0.173 or later when this is officially added to
> the
> > > source. Best regards.
> >
> > Not to try and speak for MG, but this has nothing to do with D3D. This is showing
> off
> > BGFX in action.
> >
> > If you're on 0.172 you can run with -video bgfx -bgfx_screen_chains hlsl and TAB
> into
> > the sliders flipping Enable Adjustments to On
> >
> > This way you can at the very least see if it works on your system if you wish to
> try
> > it.
>
>
> Thanks for the reply. I tested bgfx the way you mentioned when 0.172 was released out
> of curiosity (for example: "mame.exe -video bgfx -bgfx_screen_chains hlsl wboy" and
> it works fine that way but a bit slow on my system.
>
> I'm just having problems to get it work with the glsl shader that I'm using and I'm
> also running MAME in OpenGL mode since my video drivers and system runs much better
> with that renderer. MAME bgfx documents mentions that it is possible to use opengl as
> bgfx_backend but I'm just not sure why it disables my glsl shader as well.
>
>
> I use HLSL and D3D on my main HTPC but for now I'm only limited to glsl and opengl on
> my cab. It's not an ancient machine by any means but the CPU is my bottleneck as well
> as the GPU (i5-2400S CPU ~2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM and GeForce GT 640, Win7x64).
>
> Best regards

When you use -video bgfx you get access to only the "bgfx chains" in the bgfx\chains folder. The older glsl and hlsl shader systems use different shaders

This is regardless of the bgfx_backend. So you can now use the "hlsl" chain with any/all of the bgfx backends. And that's really nice. Because shaders are now: write one shader, available on all OS's

But it also means that you can't run the older glsl shaders in bgfx. There is nothing stopping anyone from porting the older shaders to the new system though. So if someone ports crt-geom or whatever then you'd be able to use it with "-video bgfx". But until someone does, well, you can't.

I'm trying to get a simple scanline shader running in bgfx that runs at full speed on my atom tablet. This weekend I'll either finish that up or give up and write one for my faster surface pro 3. So there will be more choices for bgfx shader chains in the future.

And of course MooglyGuy has been porting shaders like crazy lately. So you'll have those available too!

Malmanian
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: SoltanGris42]
#353325 - 04/21/16 01:04 AM

> > > > Many thanks for working on this! I'm pretty sure that this will indeed become
> > very
> > > > popular on YT soon for those that are capturing MAME footage .
> > > >
> > > > Is this a D3D exclusive and does it also require some specific
> bgfx_screen_chains
> > > > with HLSL or can it be used with OpenGL as will for older systems?
> > > >
> > > > I’m really looking forward to v0.173 or later when this is officially added to
> > the
> > > > source. Best regards.
> > >
> > > Not to try and speak for MG, but this has nothing to do with D3D. This is showing
> > off
> > > BGFX in action.
> > >
> > > If you're on 0.172 you can run with -video bgfx -bgfx_screen_chains hlsl and TAB
> > into
> > > the sliders flipping Enable Adjustments to On
> > >
> > > This way you can at the very least see if it works on your system if you wish to
> > try
> > > it.
> >
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. I tested bgfx the way you mentioned when 0.172 was released
> out
> > of curiosity (for example: "mame.exe -video bgfx -bgfx_screen_chains hlsl wboy" and
> > it works fine that way but a bit slow on my system.
> >
> > I'm just having problems to get it work with the glsl shader that I'm using and I'm
> > also running MAME in OpenGL mode since my video drivers and system runs much better
> > with that renderer. MAME bgfx documents mentions that it is possible to use opengl
> as
> > bgfx_backend but I'm just not sure why it disables my glsl shader as well.
> >
> >
> > I use HLSL and D3D on my main HTPC but for now I'm only limited to glsl and opengl
> on
> > my cab. It's not an ancient machine by any means but the CPU is my bottleneck as
> well
> > as the GPU (i5-2400S CPU ~2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM and GeForce GT 640, Win7x64).
> >
> > Best regards
>
> When you use -video bgfx you get access to only the "bgfx chains" in the bgfx\chains
> folder. The older glsl and hlsl shader systems use different shaders
>
> This is regardless of the bgfx_backend. So you can now use the "hlsl" chain with
> any/all of the bgfx backends. And that's really nice. Because shaders are now: write
> one shader, available on all OS's
>
> But it also means that you can't run the older glsl shaders in bgfx. There is nothing
> stopping anyone from porting the older shaders to the new system though. So if
> someone ports crt-geom or whatever then you'd be able to use it with "-video bgfx".
> But until someone does, well, you can't.
>
> I'm trying to get a simple scanline shader running in bgfx that runs at full speed on
> my atom tablet. This weekend I'll either finish that up or give up and write one for
> my faster surface pro 3. So there will be more choices for bgfx shader chains in the
> future.
>
> And of course MooglyGuy has been porting shaders like crazy lately. So you'll have
> those available too!

Thanks for the information, now I'm starting to understand how bgfx works. This sounds indeed great and will open up the door for lots of new shaders as well as many older shaders ported over in the near future. That was the main benefit of RetroArch and even some older MAME derivatives.

I've been reading about many of the changes in the recent MAME versions lately and it's really hard to keep up with the changes nowadays (http://docs.mamedev.org/) and it seems that MAME is now officially on a mission to destroy and kill all other MAME derivatives as will as many emulators and for some users even frontends by including many of the useful features but implementing it in a much better and future proof way. Many thanks to all the MAME devs for all their hard work!

My system runs HLSL just fine by it self but it seems much slower when running it through bgfx with "bgfx_screen_chains hlsl", hopefully it might be possible to improve the speed by optimization otherwise I just found a new excuse to upgrade my cabs hardware again

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#353345 - 04/21/16 06:17 PM

Well, damn. So this is what you said you were working on in that godawful thread a few days ago?

Jeez, man.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#353346 - 04/21/16 06:52 PM

We woke up one morning about three years ago and said "Okay, things can be better. MAME is already great, but we can do better and be friendlier."

It takes time to get the gears moving, and there's a lot going on behind this that I'm absolutely excited about but can't talk about because we're looking at probably six months to a year of work to get to.

What I can say is that if everything goes to plan, these changes are going to make the 0.106 overhaul (which was the largest redesign of MAME to date!) look microscopic by comparison.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Firehawke]
#353351 - 04/21/16 09:43 PM

> We woke up one morning about three years ago and said "Okay, things can be better.
> MAME is already great, but we can do better and be friendlier."
>
> It takes time to get the gears moving, and there's a lot going on behind this that
> I'm absolutely excited about but can't talk about because we're looking at probably
> six months to a year of work to get to.
>
> What I can say is that if everything goes to plan, these changes are going to make
> the 0.106 overhaul (which was the largest redesign of MAME to date!) look microscopic
> by comparison.

Also a lot of the older devs who were kinda throwing the brakes on new ideas etc. kinda just went quiet and started putting up a lot less resistance. Also a real focus was put on doing things *properly* (like the whole relicensing rather than just questionably creeping bits in across the project)

It's a shame it's taken so long.

Unfortunately we do still need a lot more EMULATION devs, people building stuff around the emulation is all fine and good, but the actual emulation needs improving too otherwise we'll get to the 'polishing a turd' stage as other overtake us.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Haze]
#353372 - 04/22/16 05:57 AM

> It's a shame it's taken so long.

to be fair (and to avoid spreading disinformation) none of the new ideas were possible to be implemented years ago.
for instance, if BGFX was available 5 years ago we would have added cross platform shaders long before. but the alternative was to hack around a lot of windows-only code with no core support, and that was not really interesting.
similarly, LUA has been present in MAME for almost two years and nobody ever suggested to use it for adding back hiscores... I'm pretty sure there would have been zero resistance, but simply nobody was interested enough

also you are sort of ignoring the fact that a lot of new features were added in the past two years. maybe less impressive and groundbreaking than the more recent ones, and definitely less advertised, but to my knowledge they have been highly appreciated in some niche communities. Just to mention a bunch of stuff we added
- MAME/MESS added support serial connections (RS232), allowing exchanges of file between emulated machines and home machines
- MAME/MESS added support for midi input/output, allowing for instance emulation of The Miracle Piano through a real piano keyboard and some progress in synth emulation

there had been also tentatives to renew the internal UI, and they were not rejected based on being "a change" but due to bugs (which was a shame because I actually liked Nathan's UI proposal)

in conclusion, these are very exciting times for MAME but it's not like we have been sitting in idle for ages as you seem to suggest

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Haze]
#353377 - 04/22/16 05:05 PM

> Unfortunately we do still need a lot more EMULATION devs, people building stuff
> around the emulation is all fine and good, but the actual emulation needs improving
> too otherwise we'll get to the 'polishing a turd' stage as other overtake us.

A lot of what the DU is dumping these days would be an ideal starter project for new emulation devs, but it generally gets claimed and added immediately by you. Perhaps new dumps should be put up for grabs for 48 hours or so on the FTP first so the less-experienced guys could have a crack? I can see it being time-sensitive in some cases where we'd want a veteran to grab it, but a lot of stuff doesn't fit that category.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: R. Belmont]
#353381 - 04/22/16 05:40 PM

> > Unfortunately we do still need a lot more EMULATION devs, people building stuff
> > around the emulation is all fine and good, but the actual emulation needs improving
> > too otherwise we'll get to the 'polishing a turd' stage as other overtake us.
>
> A lot of what the DU is dumping these days would be an ideal starter project for new
> emulation devs, but it generally gets claimed and added immediately by you. Perhaps
> new dumps should be put up for grabs for 48 hours or so on the FTP first so the
> less-experienced guys could have a crack? I can see it being time-sensitive in some
> cases where we'd want a veteran to grab it, but a lot of stuff doesn't fit that
> category.

I'm not entirely sure it would help.

The skillsets we need for the things that aren't being done are different, otherwise I'd be doing them. For example, the Fruit Machines really need somebody good with documentation to go through the CPU manuals implementing every last little detail of the SoCs that are on there.

Likewise progress on something like PGM2 requires an improved ARM core before looking for avenues to do trojans, however even with PGM1 stuff that could potentially be trojanned nobody is touching it, or even collecting the data; I've left it hoping somebody would, but it's been what? 2 years now, I should probably collect all the data needed to do an accurate simulation on Puzzle Star even if I don't figure out a way to get the internal rom.

Really old hardware where reading schematics is needed isn't my thing either, but the most recent case where that happened was that Italian 'Fast Invaders game', where ANY was throwing a ton of questions at me I simply didn't know how to answer yet nobody else seemed to help either.

There's also very little cross-over between 3D hardware and the older stuff, which again is why I don't touch it.

There are times when I have left drivers (just put the initial rom loading in and done little more) and they've also just been left, not picked up by anybody, so I've ended up going back to them months (or sometimes years) later to finish them off.

I've noticed that if dumps don't get processed in a timely manner then the dumpers lose interest too, so processing them, and giving them results works out for the best.

There are other dumps I've not checked myself, and ended up coming back to later and thinking 'wtf, who added this so badly' for example that Wonder Boy bootleg I just fixed the loading of in system1.cpp, there was a comment about it having a bigger program than the other sets when infact the gfx roms were being loaded into the program region and the actual program and graphics were 100% identical to the parent set, just split across different sized roms...

Further case in point, there was that 'SMS Super Game' thing, I left it a few weeks before picking it up (it had been suggested maybe it was something for Robbie so I didn't initially look) within that space of the the board got sold and not a single person had pointed out there was an undumped MASK rom on there, now it doesn't look like we're going to get a dump of it, and last time it sold in working condition it sold for a price we really wouldn't want to pay..

Incidentally this is why as much as I'd like to quit and leave this all behind some days, I can't, because the moment I take my foot off the pedal things start getting done badly, or not getting done at all.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#353387 - 04/22/16 10:00 PM

> The skillsets we need for the things that aren't being done are different, otherwise
> I'd be doing them. For example, the Fruit Machines really need somebody good with
> documentation to go through the CPU manuals implementing every last little detail of
> the SoCs that are on there.

I'll be doing the 68xxx MCUs this fall, and if someone wants to finish them before then, they're certainly welcome to as long as they don't make a hash of it.

> Likewise progress on something like PGM2 requires an improved ARM core before looking
> for avenues to do trojans

Thumb-2 and ARMv6 would be pretty easy projects for someone who's motivated; there aren't a *lot* of new instructions in either, compared to the v5TE we currently support.

> Really old hardware where reading schematics is needed isn't my thing either

I'm marginal at it at best; the really good guys at translating schematics are all retired for the most part.

> There are times when I have left drivers (just put the initial rom loading in and
> done little more) and they've also just been left, not picked up by anybody, so I've
> ended up going back to them months (or sometimes years) later to finish them off.

No arguments here. This is why I'm not submitting my new drivers until they're done, because it barely matters anyway in the large majority of cases.

> I've noticed that if dumps don't get processed in a timely manner then the dumpers
> lose interest too, so processing them, and giving them results works out for the
> best.

Sure, but a 48-hour window for non-critical dumps (e.g. clone sets) would still be a timely manner. If a dumper can't handle even that much time, they need another hobby. I mean, some of the old-time dumpers did stuff that didn't run until many years later after PCs were fast enough to make it practical.

> There are other dumps I've not checked myself, and ended up coming back to later and
> thinking 'wtf, who added this so badly' for example that Wonder Boy bootleg I just
> fixed the loading of in system1.cpp

Shit's going to happen with people still learning MAME, but it's very easy now for submitted changelists to be reviewed before they're applied, unlike in the past. I'd much rather have someone make a few mistakes and then grow to become a valuable contributor, possibly someone who can handle those things listed above, then to go all robot and not allow inexperienced contributors because they might make mistakes.

> Further case in point, there was that 'SMS Super Game' thing, I left it a few weeks
> before picking it up (it had been suggested maybe it was something for Robbie so I
> didn't initially look) within that space of the the board got sold

Again, for stuff where there's some kind of time pressure on reselling it that should be communicated so that someone like you or me gets it in quickly. Otherwise, when there's not that pressure, we *need* to try and let some of the younger people at it or else there won't *be* any MAMEdevs in another 20 years.

qwijibo
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/14/11
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: R. Belmont]
#353498 - 04/26/16 04:07 AM

> > Really old hardware where reading schematics is needed isn't my thing either
>
> I'm marginal at it at best; the really good guys at translating schematics are all
> retired for the most part.

Sooo, anyone have a list or any info on what's available, old hardware / schematics-wise? Wouldn't say that I'm an expert, but if no one else is stepping up, I'd be interested in taking a crack at something. Last I checked, most everything old that had schematics online had been emulated, and as an outsider it's somewhat difficult to find out what's still needed.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: qwijibo]
#353502 - 04/26/16 05:32 AM

Pop onto #mame-dev on irc.freenode.net and ask there.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

thanks for updating Midway 8080 hardware emulation new [Re: qwijibo]
#353820 - 05/02/16 08:50 AM

>>> Really old hardware where reading schematics is needed isn't my thing either

>> I'm marginal at it at best; the really good guys at translating schematics are all
>> retired for the most part.

>Sooo, anyone have a list or any info on what's available, old hardware / schematics-wise?
>Wouldn't say that I'm an expert, but if no one else is stepping up, I'd be interested in
>taking a crack at something. Last I checked, most everything old that had schematics
>online had been emulated, and as an outsider it's somewhat difficult to find out what's
>still needed.

Quite a fair amount of work yet to be completed for older hardware games excluding the discrete emulation part (analogue audio hardware and video including non-cpu games).

I noticed Midway Space Encounters was updated.

-
qwijibo 2016-04-30

improve trench colors in space encounters and simulate screen flash effect.
--

I wasn't familiar with that Midway game and wouldn't know how it worked unless watching gameplay from actual cab on some online video site.

Midway Phantom II is another game I didn't play in arcades and wouldn't know what it looks like exactly compared to emulation. The Midway parts catalog of Phantom II does have logic schematics printed in back of the parts catalog. Going by comments within the source code of the mw8080 file, it looks like someone did an attempt at looking over Midway Phantom II logic schematics many years earlier.

--
src/mame/drivers/mw8080bw.cpp

* Phantom II: cloud generator is implemented according to the schematics,
but it doesn't look right. Cloud color mixing to be verified as well
--

lettuce
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: thanks for updating Midway 8080 hardware emulation new [Re: gregf]
#353828 - 05/02/16 02:40 PM

Was this added to 0.173 or will it now be 0.174??

lettuce
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: thanks for updating Midway 8080 hardware emulation new [Re: lettuce]
#353831 - 05/02/16 03:22 PM

Hmmm, this doesnt look right.....

The images at the side are nice and sharp yet the image in the middle is blurred slightly, plus the side images are squashed to fit into the space, any ideas what ive done wrong?

B2K24
Send PM

Re: thanks for updating Midway 8080 hardware emulation new [Re: lettuce]
#353838 - 05/02/16 04:30 PM

It would help to know exactly what you're running (as in command-line or ini settings) to do that.

A picture without information makes it difficult to provide any help.

lettuce
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: thanks for updating Midway 8080 hardware emulation new [Re: B2K24]
#353843 - 05/02/16 07:39 PM

> It would help to know exactly what you're running (as in command-line or ini
> settings) to do that.
>
> A picture without information makes it difficult to provide any help.

Im running mame 0.173 commandline

Heres my mame.ini file....

Code:

#
# CORE CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
#
readconfig 1
writeconfig 0

#
# CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS
#
rompath I:\MAME 0.173 ROMs
hashpath hash
samplepath samples
artpath artwork
ctrlrpath ctrlr
inipath .;ini;ini/presets
fontpath .
cheatpath cheat
crosshairpath crosshair
pluginspath plugins
languagepath language

#
# CORE OUTPUT DIRECTORY OPTIONS
#
cfg_directory cfg
nvram_directory nvram
input_directory inp
state_directory sta
snapshot_directory snap
diff_directory diff
comment_directory comments

#
# CORE STATE/PLAYBACK OPTIONS
#
state
autosave 0
playback
record
record_timecode 0
exit_after_playback 0
mngwrite
aviwrite
wavwrite
snapname %g/%i
snapsize auto
snapview internal
snapbilinear 1
statename %g
burnin 0

#
# CORE PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
#
autoframeskip 0
frameskip 0
seconds_to_run 0
throttle 1
sleep 0
speed 1.0
refreshspeed 0

#
# CORE RENDER OPTIONS
#
keepaspect 1
unevenstretch 0
unevenstretchx 0
intoverscan 0
intscalex 0
intscaley 0

#
# CORE ROTATION OPTIONS
#
rotate 1
ror 0
rol 0
autoror 0
autorol 0
flipx 0
flipy 0

#
# CORE ARTWORK OPTIONS
#
artwork_crop 0
use_backdrops 1
use_overlays 1
use_bezels 1
use_cpanels 1
use_marquees 1

#
# CORE SCREEN OPTIONS
#
brightness 1.0
contrast 1.0
gamma 1.0
pause_brightness 0.65
effect none

#
# CORE VECTOR OPTIONS
#
antialias 1
beam_width_min 1.0
beam_width_max 1.0
beam_intensity_weight 0
flicker 0

#
# CORE SOUND OPTIONS
#
samplerate 48000
samples 1
volume 0

#
# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
coin_lockout 1
ctrlr
mouse 0
joystick 1
lightgun 0
multikeyboard 0
multimouse 0
steadykey 0
ui_active 0
offscreen_reload 0
joystick_map auto
joystick_deadzone 0.3
joystick_saturation 0.85
natural 0
joystick_contradictory 0
coin_impulse 0

#
# CORE INPUT AUTOMATIC ENABLE OPTIONS
#
paddle_device keyboard
adstick_device keyboard
pedal_device keyboard
dial_device keyboard
trackball_device keyboard
lightgun_device keyboard
positional_device keyboard
mouse_device mouse

#
# CORE DEBUGGING OPTIONS
#
verbose 0
log 0
oslog 0
debug 0
update_in_pause 0
debugscript

#
# CORE COMM OPTIONS
#
comm_localhost 0.0.0.0
comm_localport 15112
comm_remotehost 127.0.0.1
comm_remoteport 15112

#
# CORE MISC OPTIONS
#
drc 1
drc_use_c 0
drc_log_uml 0
drc_log_native 0
bios
cheat 0
skip_gameinfo 0
uifont default
ui cabinet
ramsize
confirm_quit 0
ui_mouse 1
autoboot_command
autoboot_delay 0
autoboot_script
console 0
plugins 1
plugin
noplugin
language English

#
# OSD KEYBOARD MAPPING OPTIONS
#
uimodekey SCRLOCK

#
# OSD FONT OPTIONS
#
uifontprovider auto

#
# OSD OUTPUT OPTIONS
#
output auto

#
# OSD INPUT OPTIONS
#
keyboardprovider auto
mouseprovider auto
lightgunprovider auto
joystickprovider auto

#
# OSD DEBUGGING OPTIONS
#
debugger auto
debugger_font auto
debugger_font_size 0
watchdog 0

#
# OSD PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
#
numprocessors auto
bench 0

#
# OSD VIDEO OPTIONS
#
video d3d
numscreens 1
window 0
maximize 1
waitvsync 0
syncrefresh 0

#
# OSD PER-WINDOW VIDEO OPTIONS
#
screen auto
aspect auto
resolution auto
view auto
screen0 auto
aspect0 auto
resolution0 auto
view0 auto
screen1 auto
aspect1 auto
resolution1 auto
view1 auto
screen2 auto
aspect2 auto
resolution2 auto
view2 auto
screen3 auto
aspect3 auto
resolution3 auto
view3 auto

#
# OSD FULL SCREEN OPTIONS
#
switchres 0

#
# OSD ACCELERATED VIDEO OPTIONS
#
filter 0
prescale 3

#
# OpenGL-SPECIFIC OPTIONS
#
gl_forcepow2texture 0
gl_notexturerect 0
gl_vbo 1
gl_pbo 1
gl_glsl 0
gl_glsl_filter 1
glsl_shader_mame0 none
glsl_shader_mame1 none
glsl_shader_mame2 none
glsl_shader_mame3 none
glsl_shader_mame4 none
glsl_shader_mame5 none
glsl_shader_mame6 none
glsl_shader_mame7 none
glsl_shader_mame8 none
glsl_shader_mame9 none
glsl_shader_screen0 none
glsl_shader_screen1 none
glsl_shader_screen2 none
glsl_shader_screen3 none
glsl_shader_screen4 none
glsl_shader_screen5 none
glsl_shader_screen6 none
glsl_shader_screen7 none
glsl_shader_screen8 none
glsl_shader_screen9 none

#
# OSD SOUND OPTIONS
#
sound auto
audio_latency 0.1

#
# BGFX POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
bgfx_path bgfx
bgfx_backend auto
bgfx_debug 0
bgfx_screen_chains default
bgfx_shadow_mask slot-mask.png
bgfx_avi_name bgfx.avi

#
# ASIO OPTIONS
#
asio_device 0
asio_log 0

#
# WINDOWS PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
#
priority 0
profile 0

#
# WINDOWS VIDEO OPTIONS
#
menu 0

#
# DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
hlslpath hlsl
hlsl_enable 1
hlsl_oversampling 1
hlsl_write
hlsl_snap_width 2048
hlsl_snap_height 1536
shadow_mask_tile_mode 0
shadow_mask_alpha 0.0
shadow_mask_texture shadow-mask.png
shadow_mask_x_count 6
shadow_mask_y_count 4
shadow_mask_usize 0.1875
shadow_mask_vsize 0.15
shadow_mask_uoffset 0.0
shadow_mask_voffset 0.0
distortion 0.0
cubic_distortion 0.0
distort_corner 0.0
round_corner 0.0
smooth_border 0.0
reflection 0.0
vignetting 0.0
scanline_alpha 0.60
scanline_size 1.0
scanline_height 1.0
scanline_variation 1.0
scanline_bright_scale 1.0
scanline_bright_offset 0.0
scanline_jitter 0.0
hum_bar_alpha 0.0
defocus 0.0,0.5
converge_x 0.0,0.0,0.0
converge_y 0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_x 0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_y 0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio 1.0,0.0,0.0
grn_ratio 0.0,1.0,0.0
blu_ratio 0.0,0.0,1.0
saturation 1.10
offset 0.0,0.0,0.0
scale 1.0,1.0,1.0
power 1.0,1.0,1.0
floor 0.01,0.01,0.01
phosphor_life 0.01,0.01,0.01

#
# NTSC POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
yiq_enable 0
yiq_jitter 0.0
yiq_cc 3.57954545
yiq_a 0.5
yiq_b 0.5
yiq_o 0.0
yiq_p 1.0
yiq_n 1.0
yiq_y 6.0
yiq_i 1.2
yiq_q 0.6
yiq_scan_time 52.6
yiq_phase_count 2

#
# VECTOR POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
vector_length_scale 0.5
vector_length_ratio 500.0

#
# BLOOM POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
bloom_blend_mode 0
bloom_scale 0.20
bloom_overdrive 1.0,1.0,1.0
bloom_lvl0_weight 1.0
bloom_lvl1_weight 0.64
bloom_lvl2_weight 0.32
bloom_lvl3_weight 0.16
bloom_lvl4_weight 0.08
bloom_lvl5_weight 0.06
bloom_lvl6_weight 0.04
bloom_lvl7_weight 0.02
bloom_lvl8_weight 0.01

#
# FULL SCREEN OPTIONS
#
triplebuffer 0
full_screen_brightness 1.0
full_screen_contrast 1.0
full_screen_gamma 1.0

#
# INPUT DEVICE OPTIONS
#
global_inputs 0
dual_lightgun 0

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Reged: 06/18/20
Send PM

#386733 - 06/18/20 04:02 AM

> First, the screenshots. I'm linking them since the screenshots are 1920x1080 and I
> don't want to break the layout of the board. All of them have various configs for the
> screen in the center, just ignore that, as it's the standard hlsl.json.
>
> Star Sweep, 25% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/o9YohXO.png
>
> Arkanoid, 100% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/Hufs7n2.png
>
> Arkanoid, 25% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/QtpriZ3.png
>
> Ibara, 0% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/PANfyGg.png
>
> The way you use it is you take the file in artwork\bgfx\border_blur\default.lay, and
> copy it into a correctly-named artwork folder for the game you want to use it with.
> Say, you'd create a folder called artwork\ibara and copy default.lay into it.
>
> Then, when running from the command line, use either -view0 Horizontal or -view0
> Vertical depending on whether it's a vertical or horizontal game, and then choose the
> correct pillarboxing shaders:
>
> Horizontal games: -bgfx_screen_chains
> hlsl,pillarbox_left_horizontal,pillarbox_right_horizontal
>
> Vertical games (orientation 1): -bgfx_screen_chains
> hlsl,pillarbox_left_vertical,pillarbox_right_vertical
>
> Vertical games (orientation 2): -bgfx_screen_chains
> hlsl,pillarbox_right_vertical,pillarbox_left_vertical
>
> Give it a spin, and have fun. I didn't really like the effect originally, but I have
> to admit it's beginning to grow on me.

Thanks for the info on this. I think it adds some new dimension to the black bars. Just a quick questions, is there a way to save the configuration when exiting from a game. It seems I have to select the pillarbox effects everytime I startup the game. I know this thread is old, so I hope you can let me know if your not too busy. Thank you.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Voltron]
#386734 - 06/18/20 05:09 AM

> > First, the screenshots. I'm linking them since the screenshots are 1920x1080 and I
> > don't want to break the layout of the board. All of them have various configs for
> the
> > screen in the center, just ignore that, as it's the standard hlsl.json.
> >
> > Star Sweep, 25% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/o9YohXO.png
> >
> > Arkanoid, 100% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/Hufs7n2.png
> >
> > Arkanoid, 25% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/QtpriZ3.png
> >
> > Ibara, 0% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/PANfyGg.png
> >
> > The way you use it is you take the file in artwork\bgfx\border_blur\default.lay,
> and
> > copy it into a correctly-named artwork folder for the game you want to use it with.
> > Say, you'd create a folder called artwork\ibara and copy default.lay into it.
> >
> > Then, when running from the command line, use either -view0 Horizontal or -view0
> > Vertical depending on whether it's a vertical or horizontal game, and then choose
> the
> > correct pillarboxing shaders:
> >
> > Horizontal games: -bgfx_screen_chains
> > hlsl,pillarbox_left_horizontal,pillarbox_right_horizontal
> >
> > Vertical games (orientation 1): -bgfx_screen_chains
> > hlsl,pillarbox_left_vertical,pillarbox_right_vertical
> >
> > Vertical games (orientation 2): -bgfx_screen_chains
> > hlsl,pillarbox_right_vertical,pillarbox_left_vertical
> >
> > Give it a spin, and have fun. I didn't really like the effect originally, but I
> have
> > to admit it's beginning to grow on me.
>
> Thanks for the info on this. I think it adds some new dimension to the black bars.
> Just a quick questions, is there a way to save the configuration when exiting from a
> game. It seems I have to select the pillarbox effects everytime I startup the game. I
> know this thread is old, so I hope you can let me know if your not too busy. Thank
> you.

You need to edit mame.ini (or machine/driver specific .ini) with your desired settings in order to retain them. MAME will not at this time save image enhancements settings.

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Tafoid]
#386735 - 06/18/20 11:32 AM

Quote:

MAME will not at this time save image enhancements
settings.

..and a complete pain in the ass it is too.

..Emulate complex silicon but no one can be bothered to fix a long ago removed quality of life Mame feature.

..but then that's Mame all over isn't it, make life as difficult as possible for the peasant public that use it.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Fuck you bitch *nt* new [Re: Ziggy100]
#386736 - 06/18/20 12:22 PM

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Tafoid]
#386738 - 06/18/20 05:42 PM

> > > First, the screenshots. I'm linking them since the screenshots are 1920x1080 and
> I
> > > don't want to break the layout of the board. All of them have various configs for
> > the
> > > screen in the center, just ignore that, as it's the standard hlsl.json.
> > >
> > > Star Sweep, 25% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/o9YohXO.png
> > >
> > > Arkanoid, 100% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/Hufs7n2.png
> > >
> > > Arkanoid, 25% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/QtpriZ3.png
> > >
> > > Ibara, 0% saturation: http://i.imgur.com/PANfyGg.png
> > >
> > > The way you use it is you take the file in artwork\bgfx\border_blur\default.lay,
> > and
> > > copy it into a correctly-named artwork folder for the game you want to use it
> with.
> > > Say, you'd create a folder called artwork\ibara and copy default.lay into it.
> > >
> > > Then, when running from the command line, use either -view0 Horizontal or -view0
> > > Vertical depending on whether it's a vertical or horizontal game, and then choose
> > the
> > > correct pillarboxing shaders:
> > >
> > > Horizontal games: -bgfx_screen_chains
> > > hlsl,pillarbox_left_horizontal,pillarbox_right_horizontal
> > >
> > > Vertical games (orientation 1): -bgfx_screen_chains
> > > hlsl,pillarbox_left_vertical,pillarbox_right_vertical
> > >
> > > Vertical games (orientation 2): -bgfx_screen_chains
> > > hlsl,pillarbox_right_vertical,pillarbox_left_vertical
> > >
> > > Give it a spin, and have fun. I didn't really like the effect originally, but I
> > have
> > > to admit it's beginning to grow on me.
> >
> > Thanks for the info on this. I think it adds some new dimension to the black bars.
> > Just a quick questions, is there a way to save the configuration when exiting from
> a
> > game. It seems I have to select the pillarbox effects everytime I startup the game.
> I
> > know this thread is old, so I hope you can let me know if your not too busy. Thank
> > you.
>
> You need to edit mame.ini (or machine/driver specific .ini) with your desired
> settings in order to retain them. MAME will not at this time save image enhancements
> settings.

All looks good, but I'm not sure exactly what lines need to be added to the .ini file(s) in order for the pillarbox effects to stick. I took some screenshots.
If you could offer some assistance on that I would appreciate it. Thank you.

click load full resolution when clicking on the pic for actual size

Edited by Voltron (06/18/20 05:46 PM)

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Ziggy100]
#386747 - 06/19/20 02:59 AM

Yes. It's obviously MAME's job to hand hold you and make it as easy as possible for you entitled brat's. I'm of the mind to thank the dev's for all the hard work they put into the project. Grateful that this project allows us to play a lot of our old favorite arcade games and old console games. Grateful that it is easy to setup if you take the time to actually read and learn something. The dev's aren't obligated to provide you ANYTHING. You can take it or leave it. You don't have to pay a red cent for any of the hard work they put into the emulator. The dev's could just decide to say FUCK YOU to whiney bitches like yourself and stop the project all together. Why should they put so much work into it, if all you're going to do is complain and whine like a spoiled moron?

Now I'm sure you're just a lonely computer nerd that seeks attention and you say things like that to piss people off. Makes you feel special when people respond back, even if they just tell you that you're a fucking bitch. You crave any attention thrown your way

Edited by Envisaged0ne (06/19/20 09:22 AM)

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Voltron]
#386801 - 06/23/20 02:22 AM

So I am able to get the pillarbox effects as show earlier and have been trying like hell to get the bezel around the center screen. It seems at the moment, I can only have one or the other at any given time. Am I missing something here? I copied the vertical code from the default.layout into another layout I am testing. Can't figure it out. I have read the MAME bgfx chain section a few times.

If there is a way to achieve both of these effects together, can someone please let me know. Thank you..and thank you for your hard work and dedication throughout the last few decades.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#386803 - 06/23/20 03:24 AM

I actually don't know if that's possible with the current code. Would you be willing to provide the relevant artwork .zips and any other files you've edited while trying to achieve this effect? It shouldn't be too much trouble for me to debug it and either commit a fix (which would go into MAME 0.223, since we're already in release-freeze for 0.222) or let you know what's wrong with your data files.

EDIT: By the way, I also want to thank you for taking the time to dive into the relevant files and learn about the system itself. It's a really positive feeling to see someone who's willing to learn, rather than just angrily bitch at the team like, uh, some people in this thread.

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386805 - 06/23/20 04:01 AM

> I actually don't know if that's possible with the current code. Would you be willing
> to provide the relevant artwork .zips and any other files you've edited while trying
> to achieve this effect? It shouldn't be too much trouble for me to debug it and
> either commit a fix (which would go into MAME 0.223, since we're already in
> release-freeze for 0.222) or let you know what's wrong with your data files.
>
> EDIT: By the way, I also want to thank you for taking the time to dive into the
> relevant files and learn about the system itself. It's a really positive feeling to
> see someone who's willing to learn, rather than just angrily bitch at the team like,
> uh, some people in this thread.

Awesome man. I greatly appreciate it. I sent you a PM with a link to all files that were edited and provided screen shots describing how the .layout file is split up. If you need anything else, let me know.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#386806 - 06/23/20 10:07 AM

> Awesome man. I greatly appreciate it. I sent you a PM with a link to all files that
> were edited and provided screen shots describing how the .layout file is split up. If
> you need anything else, let me know.

Thanks! Fair warning, it may take me a few days to get to it, as I'm in the middle of a work week. But we'll see how things go.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#386808 - 06/23/20 02:11 PM

I actually managed to figure it out. It was just an issue with the .lay file, no underlying code issues it seems.

Ch-ch-check it out!

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386809 - 06/23/20 03:29 PM

> I actually managed to figure it out. It was just an issue with the .lay file, no
> underlying code issues it seems.
>
> Ch-ch-check it out!

You are da-man!! Awesome man, thanks a lot MooglyGuy!!

https://youtu.be/6EAqK5Jp2rM

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386810 - 06/23/20 05:40 PM

> > I actually managed to figure it out. It was just an issue with the .lay file, no
> > underlying code issues it seems.
> >
> > Ch-ch-check it out!
>
> You are da-man!! Awesome man, thanks a lot MooglyGuy!!
>
> https://youtu.be/6EAqK5Jp2rM

Check out the dopeness!

Edited by Voltron (06/23/20 06:16 PM)

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386834 - 06/25/20 08:04 AM

> > > I actually managed to figure it out. It was just an issue with the .lay file, no
> > > underlying code issues it seems.
> > >
> > > Ch-ch-check it out!
> >
> > You are da-man!! Awesome man, thanks a lot MooglyGuy!!
> >
> > https://youtu.be/6EAqK5Jp2rM
>
> Check out the dopeness!

I finally understand the coding in the lay file...gonna make my own custom bezels...i really like this effect alot =)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#386835 - 06/25/20 10:28 AM

> I finally understand the coding in the lay file...gonna make my own custom bezels...i
> really like this effect alot =)

Dude, those overlays look rad as hell! Well done!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#386836 - 06/25/20 12:41 PM

> I finally understand the coding in the lay file...gonna make my own custom bezels...i
> really like this effect alot =)

You've seen the documentation for the layout file format, right?
https://docs.mamedev.org/techspecs/layout_files.html

I’ve got more features half-done which will be documented when they’re complete. Hopefully I can get at least some of them done over the next few months.

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386837 - 06/25/20 02:42 PM

> > I finally understand the coding in the lay file...gonna make my own custom
> bezels...i
> > really like this effect alot =)
>
> Dude, those overlays look rad as hell! Well done!

Hell yeah they do! Thanks Moogly!

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#386838 - 06/25/20 02:45 PM

> > I finally understand the coding in the lay file...gonna make my own custom
> bezels...i
> > really like this effect alot =)
>
> You've seen the documentation for the layout file format, right?
> https://docs.mamedev.org/techspecs/layout_files.html
>
> I’ve got more features half-done which will be documented when they’re complete.
> Hopefully I can get at least some of them done over the next few months.

That’s where I read up on it 👍 But I actually found it easier to edit the lines on by one, testing and seeing what it affected. Then going back and making adjustments. I look forward those new features...I’m hoping MAME allows for more than just .png files to be allowed as a bezel...having an animated bezel would be the shit! Can’t wait! 👍

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#386880 - 06/27/20 02:40 PM Attachment: outter-bloom.jpg 233 KB (4 downloads)

Yes, it looks good.

I wish we could have a effect, where the game screen is reflected on the bezels and surroundings. It would make the .layout files in general more believable.

We talked about it, a long time ago. A effect like this:
left side no fx, right side with outer glow fx.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386882 - 06/27/20 03:24 PM

> Yes, it looks good.
>
> I wish we could have a effect, where the game screen is reflected on the bezels and
> surroundings. It would make the .layout files in general more believable.
>
> We talked about it, a long time ago. A effect like this:
> left side no fx, right side with outer glow fx.

I am working on semi-transparent bezels and was able to achieve a reflection glow by extending the pillarbox effects into the center bezel by a hair...gives off a cool effect...will add the transparent bezel later and post up a video. But here is one I just posted last night...look on the inside of the center bezel.

https://youtu.be/omnNCmZgA5Y

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386896 - 06/28/20 05:22 PM

I made the center bezel walls semi-transparent and pulled the pillarbox effects all the way into the transparent part of the bezel....I think this looks pretty badass..I'm using the same bezel and game as reference...will change that later. Thoughts? See it in action below. (video may still be processing, best viewed in 4K)

https://youtu.be/1cuqxUivG-4

Edited by Voltron (06/28/20 06:05 PM)

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386898 - 06/28/20 07:51 PM

Just a little update in case anyone is interested =)

This pic shows the pillarbox effects squeezed just outside the center without the semi-transparent bezel

This pic shows the semi-transparent bezel over the pillarbox effects..adds a nice glow effect when in action

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#386905 - 06/29/20 01:40 PM

Yes, that is what i had in mind . Looking good.
Downside is, it misses top and bottom. That is only solveable with the shader itself. A little more love, it would be perfect for such a task.

Maybe Moogly will have same mercy on us
Would be really cool to see that solved.
Ideally the pillarbox fx would be a mirror of the sides, top and bottom, to make it even more realistic.
Currently, it is just a copy (not mirrored) of the sides.

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386906 - 06/29/20 02:35 PM

> Yes, that is what i had in mind . Looking good.
> Downside is, it misses top and bottom. That is only solveable with the shader itself.
> A little more love, it would be perfect for such a task.
>
> Maybe Moogly will have same mercy on us
> Would be really cool to see that solved.
> Ideally the pillarbox fx would be a mirror of the sides, top and bottom, to make it
> even more realistic.
> Currently, it is just a copy (not mirrored) of the sides.

I've got the top and bottom added just yesterday but still need to tweak the bezel itself. All you have to do is add to the chain, then modify the .lay coordinates.

(originally before adding the top)
bgfx_screen_chains pillarbox_left_vertical,pillarbox_right_vertical,

(with top and bottom)
bgfx_screen_chains pillarbox_left_vertical,pillarbox_right_vertical,pillarbox_left_vertical,pillarbox_right_vertical

pretty much just adding another pair of instances of the pillarbox. i'm working on reversing the axis of pillarbox effects so that they mirror 1:1, not sure if it is possible, but there should be an xml code able to do it. Will post an update later.

Also, would you happen to have that bezel u showed on the Cadillacs screenshot? Can you shoot it to me...i'd like to test it to see how it looks with my current setup. Thanks.

Edited by Voltron (06/29/20 02:36 PM)

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386921 - 06/30/20 07:11 PM

After some tedious editing of the layout file...I introduce to you my triple glow bezel! (may still be processing...view in 4K fullscreen to see best)

https://youtu.be/3NS88ZP_R_4

Edited by Voltron (06/30/20 07:20 PM)

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386926 - 07/01/20 02:16 AM

https://youtu.be/z3CW3IYUXmQ

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#386927 - 07/01/20 03:32 AM

Damn, these are really amazing!

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#386928 - 07/01/20 04:01 AM

> Damn, these are really amazing!

I'll second that! Not only are the bezels and layouts amazing, but the amount of work that Voltron here is putting in just playing around with the system and learning to do cool stuff.

This is basically the whole reason why I made the MAME side of the BGFX hookup so open-ended like this, with such a whole ton of proverbial knobs to tweak - because I'm no artist, but I figured anyone who is one, and who has the inclination to learn, could take the time and make amazing things.

I can't even begin to say how refreshing it is to encounter someone who will actually take the time to just dig in and learn, rather than whine about not having everything on a silver platter like some of the people who came to this thread in the past.

You've restored a lot of my faith in users, Voltron, well done.

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#386933 - 07/01/20 03:06 PM

> Damn, these are really amazing!

Thanks man! Just letting my creative mind flow a bit on my down time. I will share more as I go...stay tuned!

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386934 - 07/01/20 03:14 PM

> > Damn, these are really amazing!
>
> I'll second that! Not only are the bezels and layouts amazing, but the amount of work
> that Voltron here is putting in just playing around with the system and learning to
> do cool stuff.
>
> This is basically the whole reason why I made the MAME side of the BGFX hookup so
> open-ended like this, with such a whole ton of proverbial knobs to tweak - because
> I'm no artist, but I figured anyone who is one, and who has the inclination to learn,
> could take the time and make amazing things.
>
> I can't even begin to say how refreshing it is to encounter someone who will actually
> take the time to just dig in and learn, rather than whine about not having everything
> on a silver platter like some of the people who came to this thread in the past.
>
> You've restored a lot of my faith in users, Voltron, well done.

Well I just want to say thanks for giving us users the potential to make MAME our own. I never knew that this was all possible. I just came across a video showing pillarbox effects and wanted mine to look the same. A few weeks later, here I am making some cool stuff.

I'm glad I am able to show you devs that there are people willing to dive into it all, even though I had zero experience editing the layout files. A little reading and support go a long way. I'm hoping I can show other users some of the baddassery things that can be done with BGFX...and I hope more bells and whistles are coming down the pipeline.

Thanks Moogly!

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386942 - 07/02/20 03:52 PM

Taking a break this morning..but hey, got some cool stuff done!

Edited by Voltron (07/02/20 04:35 PM)

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386944 - 07/02/20 07:42 PM

Takin' it a bit further...still testing...watch the video to see it in effect...eyes and headphones..

https://youtu.be/eLgoMk8zulk

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386946 - 07/03/20 12:00 AM

Tweaked a few things...gave the eyes a boost in glow...a softer halation type of effect going on now...same with the headphones...will be wrapping it up in a few days...

https://youtu.be/jrK70HymuNk

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386955 - 07/03/20 06:22 PM

Testing out some things before the holiday...did some transparent stuff on the MAME logo..ended up with a edge-lit effect (left side)...

https://youtu.be/u0sUP0gcbFQ

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386956 - 07/03/20 07:20 PM

Having fun with this stuff...trying to put it down but it keeps calling my name =) Keep an eye on the right side of the screen...

https://youtu.be/qG2G8oXCqYc

Edited by Voltron (07/08/20 12:25 AM)

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space *DELETED* new [Re: Voltron]
#386958 - 07/03/20 10:42 PM

Can't decide which direction to go

Edited by Voltron (07/06/20 09:47 PM)

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386971 - 07/04/20 06:14 PM

The ass that is glass now glows...Happy 4th everyone

https://youtu.be/fG4rPEg90RI

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386991 - 07/06/20 10:22 PM

Instead of the blurred pillarbox effect on the right, I went ahead and used one of my other modified shaders so that the sharpness can come thru the atari chick..makes it look more crispy and sharp
(view in 4K)

https://youtu.be/CDysS9CF2ko

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#386992 - 07/07/20 05:48 AM Attachment: Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.07 - 13.43.50.47.png 11527 KB (0 downloads)

​I'm done with my baby (for now) 😆 After some back and forth, I am satisfied with how it currently is.  I'm gonna do some grinding and make something way different.  So here is my final triple bezel setup and also just the center itself (still optimizing on YT, but will post link as soon as its done).  Thanks for your support guys...if u need assistance on how to get some cool shit like this done, don't hesitate to reach out.  The awesomeness awaits you!! 😎

As always, best viewed in 4K:

https://youtu.be/jpxYDQ89EcA

https://youtu.be/ZkziQzX80bQ

https://youtu.be/1aW6TSSfSNs

Attachment

Edited by Voltron (07/08/20 12:24 AM)

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/08
Send PM

#387009 - 07/08/20 06:32 PM

Looking good!

Animated pillars wallpapers are great, and you just reminded me of the wallpaper galleries the Cave games console and PC ports feature: you can set a timer to change the wallpaper every xx minutes, like on a computer OS.

It is actually useful considering the sensitivity of some displays prone to burn-in, like plasmas of yore and today's OLED that hate static objects (in-game HUD, logos, whatever)

EDIT: ugh, implied question; can BGFX do that too ? if not that might be a thing to consider for the future, OLEDs are slowly but surely getting more affordable and popular.

Edited by LensLarque (07/08/20 06:35 PM)

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

Re: A new shader for those who want to use their entire screen space new [Re: LensLarque]
#387010 - 07/08/20 07:29 PM

> Looking good!
>
> Animated pillars wallpapers are great, and you just reminded me of the wallpaper
> galleries the Cave games console and PC ports feature: you can set a timer to change
> the wallpaper every xx minutes, like on a computer OS.
>
> It is actually useful considering the sensitivity of some displays prone to burn-in,
> like plasmas of yore and today's OLED that hate static objects (in-game HUD, logos,
> whatever)
>
> EDIT: ugh, implied question; can BGFX do that too ? if not that might be a thing to
> consider for the future, OLEDs are slowly but surely getting more affordable and
> popular.

Thanks man! Burn-in sucks...I had a Panny when they first came out and someone was watching infomercials with the static image at the bottom...took time to clear that up. As far as BGFX having that feature, not right now.

Vas Crabb said that he was has some additional things coming in the near future. I am hoping we are able to somehow utilize the pillarbox as seperate windows on a single screen and maybe allow us to import video to use on the pillarbox sides. Not sure that it is possible. We will have to wait and see. In the meantime, I'm working on something..hope to post it up at a later time when it nears completion.

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#387041 - 07/11/20 06:42 AM

Man, it is hot AF over here in Cali right now...here's to the weekend

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#387056 - 07/12/20 04:15 PM

> maybe allow us to import video to use on the pillarbox sides.

That's the idea, yep. The question remains how performant it will be, though, since for now MAME is kind of stuck using its own AVI decoder, which only supports uncompressed AVI or HuffYUV.

Voltron
ArcadeGamer
Send PM

#387071 - 07/13/20 04:14 PM

> > maybe allow us to import video to use on the pillarbox sides.
>
> That's the idea, yep. The question remains how performant it will be, though, since
> for now MAME is kind of stuck using its own AVI decoder, which only supports
> uncompressed AVI or HuffYUV.

That sounds like some awesome stuff coming soon I hope..but I am sure it will have to be tested thoroughly. So as of right now, does MAME currently have the ability to do such a thing with its own AVI decoder? I would like to test that function if there is a string I can add to the .lay file. I would imagine one day that file size will be limited. I can't imagine everyones PC being able to push out video and gameplay on the same screen without some performance hits. Good stuff Moogly!

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

I did some changes. This is the way I like it. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#391883 - 09/18/21 06:46 PM Attachment: bgfx_pillarbox.zip 7 KB (0 downloads)

I flipped the numbers on the horizontal files around. Looking much better.

Dullaron
Send PM

Screenshots new [Re: Dullaron]
#391886 - 09/18/21 06:49 PM Attachment: Screenshot (7).png 1585 KB (0 downloads)

I had to make the screenshots smaller and then put together.

Attachment

Dullaron
Send PM

I turn up on the colors. new [Re: Dullaron]
#391887 - 09/18/21 07:31 PM

{ "type": "float", "name": "saturation", "text": "Saturation", "default": 0.50, "max": 1.00, "min": 0.00, "step": 0.01, "format": "%1.2f", "screen": "raster" }

To

{ "type": "float", "name": "saturation", "text": "Saturation", "default": 0.90, "max": 1.00, "min": 0.00, "step": 0.01, "format": "%1.2f", "screen": "raster" }

90 with a little color loss.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

A part two for those who want to scroll out a long thread please. -NT- new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#391901 - 09/23/21 09:36 PM

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 168 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 9866