MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

small "poll" about version.ini
#352847 - 04/13/16 03:57 AM

I would like to hear users' opinion about which version to assign to systems which got merged from MESS into MAME in 0.162

shall version.ini use 0.162 or the original MESS version which the system got added to?

technically, they all got added to MAME in 0.162, so that the former solution seems more correct if you use version.ini to know how far back in the past you can go while emulating a certain system in MAME.
however, if you want to know when dumps become available to the devs and when some sort of support was started being worked on, then it might make more sense to add the MESS addition version...

opinions?

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

Re: small "poll" about version.ini new [Re: etabeta]
#352867 - 04/11/16 10:23 PM

> I would like to hear users' opinion about which version to assign to systems which
> got merged from MESS into MAME in 0.162
>
> shall version.ini use 0.162 or the original MESS version which the system got added
> to?
>
> technically, they all got added to MAME in 0.162, so that the former solution seems
> more correct if you use version.ini to know how far back in the past you can go while
> emulating a certain system in MAME.
> however, if you want to know when dumps become available to the devs and when some
> sort of support was started being worked on, then it might make more sense to add the
> MESS addition version...
>
> opinions?

Myself, i would find MESS inclusion to be more valuable.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#352926 - 04/13/16 02:42 AM

Specify MESS version, with a note that before the merger, that was MESS.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#352927 - 04/13/16 04:00 AM

I moved the thread split to emuchat. Feel free to use the poll code.

Using of the poll code, check.
Rogaine brought to wine country
Using of the Rogaine

View the results for this poll

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#352931 - 04/13/16 04:36 AM

-

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: small "poll" about version.ini new [Re: Robbbert]
#352962 - 04/13/16 07:42 PM

in all honesty even the 'version added' is pointless, full stop.

it encourages the thought process that you can 'go back' to that version if you want to run an earlier version of MAME and keep certain things in it when in reality things are rarely perfect when they're first added.

not actually sure what the purpose of the file is at all..

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: small "poll" about version.ini new [Re: Haze]
#352963 - 04/13/16 08:30 PM

> not actually sure what the purpose of the file is at all..

Yeah, I don't understand that either. It's pretty much the least useful thing I could imagine having in a bunch of columns in a launcher.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: small "poll" about version.ini new [Re: R. Belmont]
#352964 - 04/13/16 09:21 PM

> > not actually sure what the purpose of the file is at all..
>
> Yeah, I don't understand that either. It's pretty much the least useful thing I could
> imagine having in a bunch of columns in a launcher.

The information contained within most of the produced .ini files I think is mirrored in the mameinfo.dat file from M.A.S.H., has been useful on many occasions for me concerning research for regressions and testing if, indeed, a certain bug was present since added or not. Knowing when it was added and also when it was renamed is useful in tracking specific set issues as it gets difficult to track some sets after over 19 years of setname changes and parent readjustments.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: small "poll" about version.ini new [Re: Tafoid]
#352965 - 04/13/16 09:32 PM

> The information contained within most of the produced .ini files I think is mirrored
> in the mameinfo.dat file from M.A.S.H., has been useful on many occasions for me
> concerning research for regressions and testing if, indeed, a certain bug was present
> since added or not. Knowing when it was added and also when it was renamed is useful
> in tracking specific set issues as it gets difficult to track some sets after over 19
> years of setname changes and parent readjustments.

No, I agree that it's useful to have in MASH's mameinfo.dat. I just don't understand the point of having it in a FE-digestible format. I've never said "self, I want to play only games first emulated in 0.121".

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#352969 - 04/13/16 11:22 PM

I think the version.ini is fun to mess around with when you want a change in your front-end of how games are displayed on the list.

QMC2 handles this very easily by simply clicking what view you want at the bottom of it's GUI

Lets say you have a case of someone that goes away to school for 6 months or they leave and take a hiatus from MAME for several months at a time. Then they return to using MAME and wonder what new machines have been added by hap & Sean Riddle or what new card games have been added by Roberto Fresca since I've been away?

Of course they can go looking through several whatsnew posts but this is where the version.ini has it's usefulness.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: small "poll" about version.ini new [Re: Haze]
#352970 - 04/14/16 01:23 AM

My understand is, for historical purposes... when was "game xyz" first added into MAME ?

I myself use this info to know what are the new added games.
Other than that, it pretty much serves as a "good to know" info.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#352971 - 04/14/16 01:25 AM

Sometimes you might want to sort a games list by the added version, to list newer added games first... and vice-versa.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#352984 - 04/14/16 09:29 AM

> I just don't understand
> the point of having it in a FE-digestible format. I've never said "self, I want to
> play only games first emulated in 0.121".

to say the truth, I also cannot see why you might want to know which precise release a romset has been added, especially after the start of skeleton drivers (or maybe dating back to the addition of testdrivers) which typically remains untouched for months if not years before displaying anything remotely meaningful...

anyway, the file seems to have followers and I will keep releasing it.

the need of using correct MESS version (as required by this thread) instead of 0.162 for all home system has just delayed the release of a few days and tonight (GMT+1) we shall finally get to the new official release

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 401 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2060