View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Recording a video after playing it
#352715 - 04/08/16 09:17 PM

Sometimes I record gameplay videos to post them on Youtube, but recording an AVI video while playing is very CPU consuming and the game's performance is affected.

So I would like to know if it's possible to record an INP file first and then use it to playback my last gameplay and record it to AVI at the same time. This way I wouldn't have to record the gameplay on the fly with performance loss.

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#352720 - 04/08/16 10:22 PM

Yes it's totally possible....but I only see a lost of performance on the 32bit version. Try the 64bit version and it should be fine.

A good thing about mame recording is that although you suffer slowdowns when you play, that slowdowns don't affect the video, so everything goes smooth.

All my videos are done with Avi output and the 64bit version, you can check they are well recorded....

RETRODANUART.COM

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: Sthiryu]
#352750 - 04/09/16 11:27 AM

all your videos are however stretched to the wrong aspect ratio

pretty much everything you've got videos of should be 4:3 and therefore have black borders on the left / right.

seeing them stretched to the wrong aspect does not look good at all; the bubbles in Pang are meant to be round for example.

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: Haze]
#352759 - 04/09/16 03:11 PM

Yes I know, They'are strechted at 1920x1080, except games like shao-lin's road.

For me it's fine, what i wanted to say is that you won't see slowdowns or audio desync...

RETRODANUART.COM

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#352786 - 04/10/16 02:41 AM

Please don't be uploading videos that are stretched out of proportion or people will start to think that's how they're supposed to look.

If you won't stop, at least note on the videos that you refuse to respect the aspect ratio the artists were working with.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: Firehawke]
#352801 - 04/10/16 04:46 PM

Well, let's see if i can reupload the videos with the original resolution...

RETRODANUART.COM

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

#352806 - 04/10/16 05:57 PM

4:3 games played stretched on 16:9 is mostly just fine. For example, I watched the Pang video you posted, and for me it's perfectly serviceable, no great damage has been done to the game.

I think we all know the games where restricted by the technology at the time, but at the end of the day it's 2016 and as long as things aren't stretched beyond recognition - such as a 3:4 game stretched to 16:9 - then it's okay.

I can appreciate the slavish desire to perfectly emulate a game behind the scenes, but when it comes to playing them, or in artwork, then I favor going with what looks good to me rather than worry about what the artist had to work with at the time. Some times what they were restricted too is a negative, and if that's easily fixed to someones satisfaction, then life is too short to get bothered about it.

IMO, of course.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: Vaughan]
#352808 - 04/10/16 06:13 PM

> I think we all know the games where restricted by the technology at the time

Why the fuck do you and other people like you keep pushing this bullshit, thoroughly-disproven line of reasoning? Ask anyone who actually worked on games during that time period, and they'll tell you that they authored the art specifically for the output device that they were shown on. Would any of the artists tell you that at the time, they felt particularly restricted? No, because they learned to work within the constraints. In fact, there's a MAME dev who can tell you first-hand, and has done so, but you've dismissed him because you're exactly the sort of fucking philistine that is ruining the emulation community. His name's R. Belmont.

These people didn't have some grand artistic vision of some shithead 15 years on stretching them to be 33 percent wider than they were intended to be. Yeah, you'd like to think that you're only stretching it a little bit, wouldn't you? Except it seems like quite a bit much more when you actually put it numerically.

Which of these looks "correct" to you?

It might astound you to know that the model behind the Mona Lisa was not, in fact, American, and it is the first image that's the correct one.

Now, if you were Leonardo Da Vinci, and you saw people stretching your canvas 33% wider than the original when displaying your work, how exactly would you feel? Would you be filled with bonhommie towards these people, or would you be appalled that people are essentially destroying your works because they think they know better than you, even though they couldn't actually produce art if their lives depended on it?

And to follow on from this, how do you think the countless artists who put their heart and soul into the art for the title they were working on feel, when they encounter people who legitimately don't give a fuck about how the game is supposed to look, and think that they're somehow hot shit, some sort of special fucking snowflake because they jerk it to fat Chun-Li? And if you feel that these people somehow less of a claim to the portrayal of their art than any other artist, I would love to hear why.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#352809 - 04/10/16 06:31 PM

> Yes it's totally possible....but I only see a lost of performance on the 32bit
> version. Try the 64bit version and it should be fine.
>
> A good thing about mame recording is that although you suffer slowdowns when you
> play, that slowdowns don't affect the video, so everything goes smooth.
>
> All my videos are done with Avi output and the 64bit version, you can check they are
> well recorded....

I am using the 64bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate. And I begin having performance issues later in the game, when the output file is becoming quite large.

Anyway people let's get back to my original question please? How can I record A video in MAME after playing it? What are the steps? I tried recording an INP file then playbacking it while passing the avi record command but it won't record during the playback. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by Roger Coltrane (04/11/16 02:39 PM)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#352812 - 04/10/16 06:56 PM

> > Yes it's totally possible....but I only see a lost of performance on the 32bit
> > version. Try the 64bit version and it should be fine.
> >
> > A good thing about mame recording is that although you suffer slowdowns when you
> > play, that slowdowns don't affect the video, so everything goes smooth.
> >
> > All my videos are done with Avi output and the 64bit version, you can check they
> are
> > well recorded....
>
> I am using the 64bit version on Windows 7 Ultimate 64.And I start having performance
> issues later in the game, when the output file is becoming quite large.
>
> Anyway people let's get back to my original question please? How can I record A video
> in MAME after playing it? What are the steps? I tried recording an INP file then
> playbacking it while passing the avi record command but it won't record during the
> playback. What am I doing wrong?

-aviwrite -playback

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#352815 - 04/10/16 07:23 PM

Performance for -aviwrite is dependent on your HDD's performance and how fragmented it is (if a mechanical drive), not 32/64-bit.

Of course, everyone should be running 64-bit MAME anyway, we can't guarantee MAME will run much longer in 32-bit environments.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#352816 - 04/10/16 07:41 PM

>
> It might astound you to know that the model behind the Mona Lisa was not, in fact,
> American, and it is the first image that's the correct one.
>

Oz isn't that far behind the US in overweight and obese people- 66% vs 62%, Just sayin':

http://healthintelligence.drupalgardens.com/content/trends-overweight-and-obesity-country-level

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

#352819 - 04/10/16 07:53 PM

While I probably would have internalized your vitriol, I can't say it wasn't well-deserved. His statement that, "...at the end of the day it's 2016 and as long as things aren't stretched beyond recognition - such as a 3:4 game stretched to 16:9 - then it's okay" is particularly horrifying, and should sound major alarms to anyone who cares about how original game experiences are translated to future generations.

This kind of terrible thinking is particularly damaging on video serivces like YouTube through videos made by people who don't know what they're doing, their viewers who then believe it's ok because "everyone else is doing it", and the continued propagation of such nonsense.

dkongjr
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/25/16
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: R. Belmont]
#352821 - 04/10/16 08:30 PM

Quote:

Of course, everyone should be running 64-bit MAME anyway, we can't guarantee MAME will run much longer in 32-bit environments.

Can you give some example where/how 64-bit code differs from 32-bit code. Is it not, or can it not be, just a compiler option settings?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: Shoegazr]
#352822 - 04/10/16 08:32 PM

> This kind of terrible thinking is particularly damaging on video serivces like
> YouTube through videos made by people who don't know what they're doing, their
> viewers who then believe it's ok because "everyone else is doing it", and the
> continued propagation of such nonsense.

Yeah. The current operative theory is that the widespread prefererence for the look that the default 0.172 HLSL and BGFX-HLSL shaders have is that it comes from YouTube videos of CRT arcade machines in e.g. Akihabara and elsewhere. The exaggerated blooming caused by cheap CCDs, the funny distortion (because the camera isn't on-axis), the hum bars from the frame rates not in sync, it all makes sense.

The fact that someone made a moderately funny YouTube video slamming those presets is not lost on MAMEdev

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: dkongjr]
#352823 - 04/10/16 08:36 PM

> Of course, everyone should be running 64-bit MAME anyway, we can't guarantee MAME
> will run much longer in 32-bit environments.
>
> Can you give some example where/how 64-bit code differs from 32-bit code. Is it not,
> or can it not be, just a compiler option settings?

64-bit code is about 20% faster overall for free in emulation environments, and it often provides similar benefits to PC games. There are 16 registers instead of 3 to 5 and more instructions work on all of them (instead of MUL always putting the results in specific registers) so the compiler can generate much more optimal code.

Also, we're looking to start emulating things (like certain newer handhelds) where the ROMs are 2/3/4 GB, which has trouble fitting at all in a 32-bit system.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#352825 - 04/10/16 09:08 PM

> > Of course, everyone should be running 64-bit MAME anyway, we can't guarantee MAME
> > will run much longer in 32-bit environments.
> >
> > Can you give some example where/how 64-bit code differs from 32-bit code. Is it
> not,
> > or can it not be, just a compiler option settings?
>
> 64-bit code is about 20% faster overall for free in emulation environments, and it
> often provides similar benefits to PC games. There are 16 registers instead of 3 to 5
> and more instructions work on all of them (instead of MUL always putting the results
> in specific registers) so the compiler can generate much more optimal code.
>
> Also, we're looking to start emulating things (like certain newer handhelds) where
> the ROMs are 2/3/4 GB, which has trouble fitting at all in a 32-bit system.

More importantly, in my opinion, is the fact that even the video game industry is moving towards 64-bit executables. As much as people think otherwise, the game industry tends to play it exceedingly safe, to the extent that we're only now seeing games starting to require a 64-bit machine. When such a traditionally-cautious market starts pushing for 64-bit builds, it becomes that much harder to justify shipping 32-bit builds as the default.

It's unfortunate that there are some people out there who can't get 64-bit machines, either due to money or other reasons, but I don't see why the project should be held back performance-wise because of that.

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: Qun Mang]
#352826 - 04/10/16 09:25 PM

Some people are more papist than the Pope.....

RETRODANUART.COM

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#352827 - 04/10/16 10:44 PM

> > I think we all know the games where restricted by the technology at the time
>
> Why the fuck do you and other people like you keep pushing this bullshit,
> thoroughly-disproven line of reasoning? Ask anyone who actually worked on games
> during that time period, and they'll tell you that they authored the art specifically
> for the output device that they were shown on. Would any of the artists tell you that
> at the time, they felt particularly restricted? No, because they learned to work
> within the constraints. In fact, there's a MAME dev who can tell you first-hand, and
> has done so, but you've dismissed him because you're exactly the sort of fucking
> philistine that is ruining the emulation community. His name's R. Belmont.
>
> These people didn't have some grand artistic vision of some shithead 15 years on
> stretching them to be 33 percent wider than they were intended to be. Yeah, you'd
> like to think that you're only stretching it a little bit, wouldn't you? Except it
> seems like quite a bit much more when you actually put it numerically.
>
> Which of these looks "correct" to you?
>
>
>
> It might astound you to know that the model behind the Mona Lisa was not, in fact,
> American, and it is the first image that's the correct one.
>
> Now, if you were Leonardo Da Vinci, and you saw people stretching your canvas 33%
> wider than the original when displaying your work, how exactly would you feel? Would
> you be filled with bonhommie towards these people, or would you be appalled that
> people are essentially destroying your works because they think they know better than
> you, even though they couldn't actually produce art if their lives depended on it?
>
> And to follow on from this, how do you think the countless artists who put their
> heart and soul into the art for the title they were working on feel, when they
> encounter people who legitimately don't give a fuck about how the game is supposed to
> look, and think that they're somehow hot shit, some sort of special fucking snowflake
> because they jerk it to fat Chun-Li? And if you feel that these people somehow less
> of a claim to the portrayal of their art than any other artist, I would love to hear
> why.

Perhaps more to the point is - why are people like you so intolerant of differing opinions and preferences? Just because you think being slavish to the original is the be-all and end-all, doesn't mean everyone must think this way forever and a day. Get over it. You ruin it how it suits you, let others do the same.

Take this quote: "Why the fuck do you and other people like you keep pushing this bullshit, thoroughly-disproven line of reasoning? Ask anyone who actually worked on games during that time period, and they'll tell you that they authored the art specifically for the output device that they were shown on".

Okay, so let's pick a random example. Let's pick, Berzerk, When the guy sat down to design it, was he presented with a 4:3 tube set, a 16:9 LCD, and a 16:10 LED and asked which suited his artistic vision better? No. He was stuck with a 4:3, because that was the dominant ratio at the time. It ran on a tube set, because you know - LCD screens weren't about then.

You are insinuating that if given the choice, he'd of chosen 4:3 anyway. I don't suppose we'll ever know. The fact is, his choice was limited to what was available at the time - hence he worked "within the limitations of the technology at his disposal". Simple. That's not "dis-proven", in fact it's a rather obvious conclusion. At the end of the day it's a red herring - I never said he was unhappy with 4:3, or that the game wasn't designed to be played 4:3. Only that the limitation of a 4:3 tube screen at the time confined him to a ratio choice. I'm sure he was more than happy (he made a great game, any way).

Now, would the artist claim they were restricted? No, probably not. It does not follow though that they weren't. It simple illustrates that they accepted the norms of the day, and worked within them. He wouldn't have thought of making it 16:9, actually. Would the designer of Berzerk have loved to have written it for a 64" LED screen at 4k resolution? Yeah, I'm guessing he'd of found that pretty cool. But at the time he was limited, and did a great job with what was available.

As for my being "exactly the sort of fucking philistine that is ruining the emulation community" - you're having a laugh.

How does my playing Berzerk stretched on a 16:9 screen do anything to the emulation community? It does nothing to the emulation community, where the "fix" to my abhorrent behaviour is checking an option in the UI.

In fact - ironically - it's people like you that will hurt the community with your dictatorial ranting over minor things such as how I choose to enjoy a game. You seem to want to treat the community like an enlistment to the military. Well, good luck with that, but I'm afraid I'm going to go ahead and bring the community to its knees by running some games in something other than it's OAR if I choose. Because that's how I like it. Trust me, the world won't end. In fact, the only people that care are, yes, philistines like yourself who have their joystick pushed, firmly, up your ass (seriously, when you bend forward to type does the cursor jump to the top of the screen?) If your attitude is truly indicative of the community, then the community is a bit of a cesspit. Fortunately, it's not.

I didn't ignore R. Belmont. I just don't happen to think it matters even half as much as you do. Is that really so bad? I'm sure he did some great work, I'm very pleased for him. However, does he really think it's the end of the world that monitors are now 16:9? If so, then I'm not sure what I can say. I can only repeat myself - it's 2016, things move on, and I don't get any particular pleasure at ignoring advances that have been made. I use controllers that aren't from the original machine, running on an OS that wasn't around when the game was released, sitting in a chair that you wouldn't haver found in any arcade, with the sound pumped through a stereo system, that can shake the walls. So stretching a few pixels.... yeah, it's not such a big deal, imo. I don't feel obliged to rent a space in a strip mall, put down dirty carpeting, and to jostle my way through a group of strangers to get at my favorite game so i can enjoy the authenticity, the experience. Mr. Belmont may lose sleep over it (although honestly, he doesn't, does he?) but I hope he at least has the maturity to know that times change, people have different preferences, and at the end of the day, it's playing the game that's important, you know, having fun.

I'm not sure why you wrote "It might astound you to know that the model behind the Mona Lisa was not, in fact, American" - what does the nationality have to do with it? Hell, I'm not even American.

As for what Leonardo would think..... I think he'd probably move on. The original picture is not changed. It's still there to be seen. His vision was of a portrait - a painting. What's on the screen is not a painting. No-one has taken the canvas and stretched it. Of course, he may be appalled that someone like yourself enjoys it on a screen, depicted in pixels rather than brush strokes. But at the same time, others around him would likely say "Yeah Leonardo, what can you do? You only painted one, and it's in France. It's what the kids do today." Then Leonardo would get back to designing helicopters.

Mind you, he might have jumped from a tower if he found out people wear pictures printed on the front of T-Shirts. But hey, what can you do?

"when they encounter people who legitimately don't give a fuck about how the game is supposed to look, and think that they're somehow hot shit, some sort of special fucking snowflake because they jerk it to fat Chun-Li? "

I do "give a fuck" how a game is supposed to look. But it doesn't follow that I'll necessarily choose to play it that way. They're different things. If you're talking about a discussion of the artwork, then sure, OAR is quite important. If you're casually shooting some robots on large 16:9 screen to pass some time, it's not so important. Choice. It's an amazing thing. Perhaps they have a thing against freedom of choice where you are? It's going to shock you, but after half an hour of playing Berzerk, I find getting the high-score takes over from my continually stopping and admiring the red robots - WOW, NOW THEY'RE BLUE! - WHOA, THE MAZE IS DIFFERENT! I get distracted see.

Actually, I don't think I've come across a single thread on this board where people discuss how beautiful character art is. Perhaps I missed it. I don't conclude from that that people don't care though - you probably do.

Tell me, when listening to music do you use an equalizer? Have you ever customized a car? Have you ever bought a Christmas card with a still from a movie on it with a funny caption? Probably not, because you know, the vision thing....

Well, I don't know, what would the developers think?. You seem to be the all-knowing spokesman for all developers, after all. Perhaps they'd think: "Who is this foul-mouthed cretin who is so intolerant of someone who doesn't agree with them?" Or maybe they'd say: "You know, it feels really good to know that almost 50 years after I worked on that, people are still enjoying it - how cool is that?!" Coz, while they might prefer it in 4:3, it's not a deal breaker, the be-all and end-all. Maybe it's the complete package - design, gameplay, difficulty, peoples love for their creation, etc. that counts for a lot. You seem to be suggesting that all takes a back seat to aspect ratios. Or maybe they'd feel I'd committed an affront to their creation. If the latter, then I'd have to say they'd be better served to get some perspective, and at least try to understand why a preference exists. Like normal people.

I have not denied the developers and artists an opinion. It's you that wants to lock down opinions. It's not a black and white issue - it's a preference. How many of these games had "MUST ONLY EVER BE PLAYED IN 4:3" in its design documents? All of them? I had no idea.

By the wau, what does "special snowflake" mean? Who is "fat Chun-Li"? What does it have to do with this topic?

In summary - if you feel I'm ignoring someone, or not taking their thoughts on board, it'll likely be because they've been rude, unwilling to accept the opinion of others, and are trying prescribe blame on "ruining the community" that is not, in any way, ruined as far as I can tell. I can only converse with sane, rational people. If you come out belligerent and swinging then I'm forced to reply in kind. What'll ruin the community (which I don't think will ever happen) is people like yourself, going off as you have. Why is it not sufficient to have a simple discussion, without losing your marbles? Can you name a single instance where the community was hurt by someone playing a game on a 16:9 screen out of OAR?

Calm down. Have a soda. The guy in this thread likes the games. He has a small Youtube channel which he clearly enjoys doing. Encourage him, let him have his fun. Don't start telling him what to do by pain of death, using foul-language, and acting like a mental patient. You see, he IS part of the community, whether you like it or not. He's having fun, and that - for me - is the heart of emulation, not some insane adherence to a set of rules dictated by others. Be friendly, share opinions, say something nice every now and again. It costs you nothing, and you can put some good bck into the world. You may disagree on one topic, but if they're here then here's likely a lot of common ground. Ain't that sweet?

THIS MESSAGE WAS ORIGINALLY INTENDED BY ITS AUTHOR TO BE READ IN A 5:5 RATIO USING THE ARIEL FONT IN GREEN. PLEASE ADJUST YOUR SETTINGS ACCORDINGLY.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#352828 - 04/10/16 10:50 PM

> While I probably would have internalized your vitriol, I can't say it wasn't
> well-deserved. His statement that, "...at the end of the day it's 2016 and as long as
> things aren't stretched beyond recognition - such as a 3:4 game stretched to 16:9 -
> then it's okay" is particularly horrifying, and should sound major alarms to anyone
> who cares about how original game experiences are translated to future generations.
>
> This kind of terrible thinking is particularly damaging on video serivces like
> YouTube through videos made by people who don't know what they're doing, their
> viewers who then believe it's ok because "everyone else is doing it", and the
> continued propagation of such nonsense.

Well, I'm sorry you find it "terrible". I personally don't think it rises to the level of mildly annoying - but we're all different.

I don't have an arcade cabinet. I don't have arcade controls. I don't have the lights dimmed to restrict reflections, and I don't play naff pop music in the background for ambiance. There are lots of ways I don't emulate the original experience. It's just not that important to me. I accept it may be to you, and of course, I'm happy you can run the games any way you please.

There's no propagation going on. Do you think a good number of people installing Mame for the first time hasn't tried turned off the "Enforce Aspect Ratio" option? I'd guess a lot of them have. Some might have found they prefer it that way. No big deal.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#352829 - 04/10/16 10:51 PM

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: B2K24]
#352830 - 04/10/16 10:52 PM

You're a bad man.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#352831 - 04/10/16 10:54 PM

>
> It's unfortunate that there are some people out there who can't get 64-bit machines,
> either due to money or other reasons, but I don't see why the project should be held
> back performance-wise because of that.

With respect, shouldn't you be using Z80's and the like?

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

#352834 - 04/10/16 11:15 PM

> Well, I'm sorry you find it "terrible". I personally don't think it rises to the
> level of mildly annoying - but we're all different.

You seem to think this is a subjective issue and therefore subject to debate. It really isn't.

> I don't have an arcade cabinet. I don't have arcade controls. I don't have the lights
> dimmed to restrict reflections, and I don't play naff pop music in the background for
> ambiance. There are lots of ways I don't emulate the original experience. It's just
> not that important to me. I accept it may be to you, and of course, I'm happy you can
> run the games any way you please.

You are of course free to use emulators in any way and under any context you like (though unlike buying arcade controls etc., playing under the correct aspect ratio costs you neither time nor effort, so why you deliberately force a "Fat Chun-Li" aspect ratio on your games when they weren't developed that way is bewildering). Rather, my comments, and those of others here, are based on your public encouragement - and yes *propagation* of the notion that it's somehow a good idea to do what you're doing, when it simply isn't. It's hard to sit silent and watch bad advice like this encouraging others to do the same, who will eventually give the same advice to more people.

Or if you prefer: privately it's no big deal, but publically it isn't right, and disservices the original developers to boot.

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

#352835 - 04/10/16 11:19 PM

> Yeah. The current operative theory is that the widespread prefererence for the look
> that the default 0.172 HLSL and BGFX-HLSL shaders have is that it comes from YouTube
> videos of CRT arcade machines in e.g. Akihabara and elsewhere. The exaggerated
> blooming caused by cheap CCDs, the funny distortion (because the camera isn't
> on-axis), the hum bars from the frame rates not in sync, it all makes sense.
>
> The fact that someone made a moderately funny YouTube video slamming those presets is
> not lost on MAMEdev

Hah, now you have my curious, I must find that one. The hum bar issue is probably the most noticeable of the bunch and quite funny to see running out of context.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

TL;DR *nt* new [Re: Vaughan]
#352836 - 04/10/16 11:22 PM

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#352837 - 04/10/16 11:24 PM

> >
> > It's unfortunate that there are some people out there who can't get 64-bit
> machines,
> > either due to money or other reasons, but I don't see why the project should be
> held
> > back performance-wise because of that.
>
> With respect, shouldn't you be using Z80's and the like?

With no respect, haven't you already made it abundantly clear that you haven't a clue what you're talking about, and already made everyone wonder how it is you manage to clothe yourself in the morning without managing to kill yourself in some unfortunate choking accident?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#352841 - 04/11/16 12:26 AM

> THIS MESSAGE WAS ORIGINALLY INTENDED BY ITS AUTHOR TO BE READ IN A 5:5 RATIO USING
> THE ARIEL FONT IN GREEN. PLEASE ADJUST YOUR SETTINGS ACCORDINGLY.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#352842 - 04/11/16 01:02 AM

( Pile of barf deleted )

I bet you're the kind of guy that always bought Full Screen DVDs instead of Widescreen ones because you couldn't stand the black bars on the top and bottom. And now you can't stand the black bars on the sides.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#352843 - 04/11/16 02:02 AM

I don't say this lightly because I'm usually open to other people's opinions or preferences, but you really are a total idiot & your arguments aren't making you come off as clever. If the other people's arguments aren't getting through your thick skull, then just leave & let the emulation world live in a happier place where we don't have to witness dumb asses like yourself

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#352851 - 04/11/16 02:54 PM

OMG!! This topic has derailed a little bit from the original question! LOL

Vaughan: I stopped reading your message after "Perhaps more to the point is -..."

Anyway, my question is now answered, thanks people!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#352855 - 04/11/16 06:53 PM

> I didn't ignore R. Belmont. I just don't happen to think it matters even half as much
> as you do. Is that really so bad? I'm sure he did some great work, I'm very pleased
> for him. However, does he really think it's the end of the world that monitors are
> now 16:9?

I had the first 16:9 TV on my block, and I programmed some of the first games that could display true 16:9 with a wider FOV (and without making the characters fatter). That said, I never, *ever* ran 4:3 games stretched out, because much like Moogly's Mona Lisa example, it looks fucking dreadful, and I had more respect for the original creators (some of whom were me) than that.

> I hope he at least has the maturity
> to know that times change, people have different preferences, and at the end of the
> day, it's playing the game that's important, you know, having fun.

I know that times change. I also know that if someone projected a 4:3 classic movie like Casablanca and stretched it out to where Bogart appeared to be a Person of Wal-Mart there would be film-geek riots. I believe video games are an important cultural artifact and are worthy of the same sort of accurate presentation.

> Coz, while they
> might prefer it in 4:3, it's not a deal breaker, the be-all and end-all. Maybe it's
> the complete package - design, gameplay, difficulty, peoples love for their creation,
> etc. that counts for a lot.

Video games, as I've been told repeatedly during my career when I got too uppity about making game audio great, are called that because of the graphics. If you aren't viewing the graphics in OAR, then you aren't playing the game properly. Period.

> I have not denied the developers and artists an opinion. It's you that wants to lock
> down opinions. It's not a black and white issue - it's a preference.

No, it really isn't. We're talking about the technical parameters the game was designed for, just as movies are intended to be viewed in some specific aspect ratio.

> By the wau, what does "special snowflake" mean? Who is "fat Chun-Li"? What does it
> have to do with this topic?

A "special snowflake" is someone who yells about "safe spaces" when confronted with reality. "Fat Chun-Li" is what happens when persons like yourself make the "choice" to play Street Fighter II stretched to 16:9.

> Can you name a single instance where the community was hurt by someone
> playing a game on a 16:9 screen out of OAR?

Yes, it's happening right now. People who don't know any better are watching the OP's YouTube videos and assuming that's how the games are supposed to look, which is frankly awful.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#352856 - 04/11/16 07:01 PM

> Or if you prefer: privately it's no big deal, but publically it isn't right, and
> disservices the original developers to boot.

+1.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#352857 - 04/11/16 07:20 PM

> By the wau, what does "special snowflake" mean? Who is "fat Chun-Li"? What does it
> have to do with this topic?

For someone who ask people to chill out, you really take a lot of time indoctrinating others about how they should enjoy their own life. That's the whole opposite of chilling out.

Anyway, the "fat Chun-Li" gag comes from the false belief pixels in CPS-1 system are square, making the game fit in widescreen when doing so.

I never enjoyed those old Kung-Fu movies with their squished faces and tall bodies. I don't get who in their right mind would feel a waste to have vertical bars. Widescreen was made to show more information when and if available, if there isn't then simply there isn't. Having to fill the screen by stretching the image defeats the purpose, buy a 4:3 screen then.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: BIOS-D]
#352879 - 04/12/16 03:38 AM

-SNIP-
> buy a 4:3 screen then.

+1

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#352890 - 04/12/16 01:39 PM

> For someone who ask people to chill out, you really take a lot of time indoctrinating
> others about how they should enjoy their own life. That's the whole opposite of
> chilling out.
>
My 2 cents here...

RB is not telling anybody 'how they should enjoy their lives". All he says is, if you like playing 4:3 games stretched to fit the whole 16:9 screen in your house, it's fine! Now, if you want to publish a 4:3 game video on Youtube so everybody can see it, do the right thing and keep the video in its original 4:3 aspect ratio. Who gives a s*** about vertical or horizontal black bars these days?

Be happy, keep the horrible stretching on in your own computer and play it stretched, period. But don't make it public that way just 'because you like it more'.

> Widescreen was made to show more information when and if available, if there isn't
> then simply there isn't. Having to fill the screen by stretching the image defeats
> the purpose, buy a 4:3 screen then.

+500

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#352891 - 04/12/16 02:16 PM

> RB is not telling anybody 'how they should enjoy their lives".

For the record I was talking and replying about Vaughan, but it's hard to see that when in flat mode. The old guy can't even see the reason of how a multiplatform application keeps a CLI/simple GUI to be maintainable from Windows to even PS3 and PS4/XBOX One in the future. He only thinks it's something coming from the 90's without any though.

I'm only pointing that so it doesn't lead to misunderstandings later.

Now I'm wondering how much processing would it need to add a greyscale (or any other color) zoomed in main screen on both sides for those who dislike vertical black bars.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#352902 - 04/12/16 08:29 PM

> Now I'm wondering how much processing would it need to add a greyscale (or any other
> color) zoomed in main screen on both sides for those who dislike vertical black bars.

Hmm, yeah, like the processing some TV stations do when they show 4:3 content in the middle of a 16:9 news program or whatever: have the 4:3 image in the middle, and a blurred, contrast-reduced version of the sides of the 4:3 image used as the letterboxes. I'll bet Ryan could do that.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#352923 - 04/13/16 01:46 AM

> > Now I'm wondering how much processing would it need to add a greyscale (or any
> other
> > color) zoomed in main screen on both sides for those who dislike vertical black
> bars.
>
> Hmm, yeah, like the processing some TV stations do when they show 4:3 content in the
> middle of a 16:9 news program or whatever: have the 4:3 image in the middle, and a
> blurred, contrast-reduced version of the sides of the 4:3 image used as the
> letterboxes. I'll bet Ryan could do that.

You know that that's perfectly doable, and now I'm going to be up until 6AM until implementing exactly that, because it actually sounds cool as hell, right? God damn it.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

I asked this a week or so ago.... new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#352940 - 04/13/16 07:08 AM

and Tafoid sayd

> -aviwrite -playback

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

In my early 20s, I wanted to paint my walls black..... new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#352941 - 04/13/16 07:14 AM

Because black is not a barrier. It's spacious. But I guess human nature is to fear space.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#352944 - 04/13/16 08:32 AM

> Be happy, keep the horrible stretching on in your own computer and play it stretched,
> period. But don't make it public that way just 'because you like it more'.
>

It's been about 10 years now, but back when I used my XP and played the heck out of 'xmcota' in MAME, I preferred the "wide screen" look, and didn't mind if anything looked stretched. I wasn't clamoring for a bottle of aspirin.

Anyway, I did change it to the proper aspect once. With the narrow look (after being used to seeing it slightly stretched for so long) the game actually felt slightly different in the way it played.

About posting vids to youtube... maybe a disclaimer / warning should be provided with videos not in their proper/intended ratio.

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Send PM

#352954 - 04/13/16 02:49 PM

I've added a paragraph to each video I've done over Mame/Mess with the following info:

Original Game Resolution: XxY
Video Resolution: 1920x1080

Hope people can now sleep well

Edit: If you consider I have to add more info like:
Game not working...
Sound emulation is not working...
You can't use the keyboard to play out run, idiotˇˇ
Don't make sex with animals..

Please let me know )))))

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Re: In my early 20s, I wanted to paint my walls black..... new [Re: Traso]
#352960 - 04/13/16 07:34 PM

I, too, prefer the dark walls.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#352987 - 04/14/16 11:14 AM

> > Well, I'm sorry you find it "terrible". I personally don't think it rises to the
> > level of mildly annoying - but we're all different.
>
> You seem to think this is a subjective issue and therefore subject to debate. It
> really isn't.
>
> > I don't have an arcade cabinet. I don't have arcade controls. I don't have the
> lights
> > dimmed to restrict reflections, and I don't play naff pop music in the background
> for
> > ambiance. There are lots of ways I don't emulate the original experience. It's just
> > not that important to me. I accept it may be to you, and of course, I'm happy you
> can
> > run the games any way you please.
>
> You are of course free to use emulators in any way and under any context you like
> (though unlike buying arcade controls etc., playing under the correct aspect ratio
> costs you neither time nor effort, so why you deliberately force a "Fat Chun-Li"
> aspect ratio on your games when they weren't developed that way is bewildering).
> Rather, my comments, and those of others here, are based on your public encouragement
> - and yes *propagation* of the notion that it's somehow a good idea to do what you're
> doing, when it simply isn't. It's hard to sit silent and watch bad advice like this
> encouraging others to do the same, who will eventually give the same advice to more
> people.
>
> Or if you prefer: privately it's no big deal, but publically it isn't right, and
> disservices the original developers to boot.

I'm sorry, but from my side of the fence it looks like you're trying to apply a hard set of rules on what people should, and shouldn't do. You're trying to dictate to people what is, and what is not, acceptable. That's the problem.

I have no issue with someone like yourself saying "people should run the games in their OAR". No issue at all. Not even a little bit. I equally have no issue with someone deciding - "You know what, 4:3 game really doesn't look too bad played edge to edge on a 16:9". It's a preference, that's all.

By claiming I'm somehow "promoting" my view by mentioning it on an Internet forum is just another dictatorial move to shut down all mention of something you don't like due to your personal preference. Disagreeing is okay, but what you and others are doing here isn't, imo. That you willfully don't see this just shows that intolerance is the root of it.

My "advice" (actually it's a statement of preference, not advice, but whatever) isn't "bad", it's just an opinion you and some others disagree with. If the OP had asked how best to play the games to more fully have the original arcade experience, then I'd have suggested they use the OAR. But that wasn't the case.

You are seeking to be "right" on something that is an option - not a dictate. People can do one thing, or another. These games do not have to be played in their OAR. There's a checkbox you can use to turn it on or off. A choice then. For me, there is nothing remotely wrong with stretching a game if you think it doesn't hurt the gameplay. If you do think it's some act of heresy, run it in OAR.

4:3 stretched to 16:9 looks just fine to me in most cases. 3:4 stretched to 16:9 looks terrible. I've nothing to apologize for. Also, given the response here, be assured that if I see a post like the OP, and the response I replied too, again - I'll be sure to chime in with exactly the same reply. I certainly won't be bullied into silence, or forced into PM just so I can make the cyber-bullies here happy. You don't like how I play some games? Oh well, get over it. Cursing at me, calling me names, and trying to make hard-fasted rules I should comply with won't work I'm afraid. You're a bully, and I won't curtail to you.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#352988 - 04/14/16 11:16 AM

> > >
> > > It's unfortunate that there are some people out there who can't get 64-bit
> > machines,
> > > either due to money or other reasons, but I don't see why the project should be
> > held
> > > back performance-wise because of that.
> >
> > With respect, shouldn't you be using Z80's and the like?
>
> With no respect, haven't you already made it abundantly clear that you haven't a clue
> what you're talking about, and already made everyone wonder how it is you manage to
> clothe yourself in the morning without managing to kill yourself in some unfortunate
> choking accident?

Actually, all that's been proven is that you're a knee-jerk bully who isn't going to change anything about how I play games, or offer an opinion on this web site. I mean really - look at this response. How old are you, five?

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: Foxhack]
#352989 - 04/14/16 11:17 AM

> ( Pile of barf deleted )
>
> I bet you're the kind of guy that always bought Full Screen DVDs instead of
> Widescreen ones because you couldn't stand the black bars on the top and bottom. And
> now you can't stand the black bars on the sides.

Erm, nope. You lost the bet. What do I win?

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#352990 - 04/14/16 11:23 AM

> > RB is not telling anybody 'how they should enjoy their lives".
>
> For the record I was talking and replying about Vaughan, but it's hard to see that
> when in flat mode. The old guy can't even see the reason of how a multiplatform
> application keeps a CLI/simple GUI to be maintainable from Windows to even PS3 and
> PS4/XBOX One in the future. He only thinks it's something coming from the 90's
> without any though.
>
> I'm only pointing that so it doesn't lead to misunderstandings later.
>
> Now I'm wondering how much processing would it need to add a greyscale (or any other
> color) zoomed in main screen on both sides for those who dislike vertical black bars.

I don't dislike black bars. My preference to stretch some 4:3 games to 16:9 isn't because I have some pathological hatred of them. I'm not sure why you assume it is, it's certainly not in anything I've written in this thread.

I stretch some games because it makes things nice and large, without significantly spoiling the game I'm playing. 99.9% of the work I do on a computer is done in 16:9. So I play some games 16:9 when I can. That's all. It's nothing to do with a fear of black bars. I've got a 16:9 screen, and see no reason not to use it. You, and others, disagree, something I'm fine with. It's all the unnecessary vitriol, trolling, and bullying that is the real problem here. Not that any of you are big enough to admit it.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#352991 - 04/14/16 11:49 AM

> > I didn't ignore R. Belmont. I just don't happen to think it matters even half as
> much
> > as you do. Is that really so bad? I'm sure he did some great work, I'm very pleased
> > for him. However, does he really think it's the end of the world that monitors are
> > now 16:9?
>
> I had the first 16:9 TV on my block, and I programmed some of the first games that
> could display true 16:9 with a wider FOV (and without making the characters fatter).
> That said, I never, *ever* ran 4:3 games stretched out, because much like Moogly's
> Mona Lisa example, it looks fucking dreadful, and I had more respect for the original
> creators (some of whom were me) than that.

Good to know. We have a very different views and ways of looking at things. I don't see how my playing a 4:3 game stretched to 16:9 is disrespectful to the original creator/s. Actually, it has nothing whatsoever to do with them - it's neither a commentary on them, nor an opinion. I'm just playing a game to suit myself. I don't feel I have some abiding contract with the creator to not stretch an image (which costs them nothing) or to not use AUTOFIRE, or XPadder or whatever. The creator put the game together, but the copy on my machine is mine to do with as I please.

On the other hand, the fact that I want to play their game at all after all these years is, I suppose, a complement to them in that I still find value in what they put together.

>
> > I hope he at least has the maturity
> > to know that times change, people have different preferences, and at the end of the
> > day, it's playing the game that's important, you know, having fun.
>
> I know that times change. I also know that if someone projected a 4:3 classic movie
> like Casablanca and stretched it out to where Bogart appeared to be a Person of
> Wal-Mart there would be film-geek riots. I believe video games are an important
> cultural artifact and are worthy of the same sort of accurate presentation.
>

Movies are something i spend more time with than video games. I can assure you, while someone saying they prefer an academy ratio film stretched would draw a lot of criticism, it wouldn't be even half of the mean-spirited, vitriolic, childish, and bullying tactics employed on this site. That's not a good thing. To add some humor to it, I was accused of destroying the community. What's destroy the community is the kinds of responses posted in this thread. Nice people these Mame folk..... not.

> > Coz, while they
> > might prefer it in 4:3, it's not a deal breaker, the be-all and end-all. Maybe it's
> > the complete package - design, gameplay, difficulty, peoples love for their
> creation,
> > etc. that counts for a lot.
>
> Video games, as I've been told repeatedly during my career when I got too uppity
> about making game audio great, are called that because of the graphics. If you aren't
> viewing the graphics in OAR, then you aren't playing the game properly. Period.

Right. I'm not playing it in its OAR. Everything else is good to go, just not the aspect ratio. I've never claimed otherwise. I agree with you. Where we differ is that you seem to see this as a huge insult - whereas I just can't understand why it bothers you so much. I'm one guy, playing a game in my living room. I made a post in a public forum that everyone is free to respond to. It's not a big deal. Those who disagree can say so, those with advice can give it. Just about the least effective response is to attack the person with venomous bile. Just saying (not directing it at you, since you don't agree with me, but are at least on the same side of adulthood).

>
> > I have not denied the developers and artists an opinion. It's you that wants to
> lock
> > down opinions. It's not a black and white issue - it's a preference.
>
> No, it really isn't. We're talking about the technical parameters the game was
> designed for, just as movies are intended to be viewed in some specific aspect ratio.

Technical parameters that have no effect on gameplay. None. Therefore, it's no big deal if it's changed, imo.

>
> > By the wau, what does "special snowflake" mean? Who is "fat Chun-Li"? What does it
> > have to do with this topic?
>
> A "special snowflake" is someone who yells about "safe spaces" when confronted with
> reality. "Fat Chun-Li" is what happens when persons like yourself make the "choice"
> to play Street Fighter II stretched to 16:9.

Oh. I actually don't play fighting games, so references to them are lost on me. I don't see how "special snowflake" applies to this topic, but whatever.

>
> > Can you name a single instance where the community was hurt by someone
> > playing a game on a 16:9 screen out of OAR?
>
> Yes, it's happening right now. People who don't know any better are watching the OP's
> YouTube videos and assuming that's how the games are supposed to look, which is
> frankly awful.

Nah, I think you're wrong - or hyper-sensitive. If someone watches the videos by the OP, they may be moved to try out Mame themselves. With a default install they get OAR. At worst the video shows them that there is an option to play the game stretched. No harm is done.

It begs the question - why does Mame have the option to stretch? If it's such an abhorent thing to do, such an attack on the original developers, then why has Mame dev put it in?

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#352993 - 04/14/16 02:19 PM

> Nah, I think you're wrong - or hyper-sensitive. If someone watches the videos by the
> OP, they may be moved to try out Mame themselves. With a default install they get
> OAR. At worst the video shows them that there is an option to play the game
> stretched. No harm is done.
>
> It begs the question - why does Mame have the option to stretch? If it's such an
> abhorent thing to do, such an attack on the original developers, then why has Mame
> dev put it in?

For the record, I'm the OP of this thread and I didn't post any videos on youtube or anywhere else with 16:9 stretched aspect ratio. I don't even know why my thread derailed so far from my original question. C'mon people, everybody made your points here, let's move on to more productive discussions. I've got my answer looong time ago (thanks MooglyGuy).

Edited by Roger Coltrane (04/14/16 02:21 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#352995 - 04/14/16 04:50 PM

> It begs the question - why does Mame have the option to stretch? If it's such an
> abhorent thing to do, such an attack on the original developers, then why has Mame
> dev put it in?

It's there for exactly one reason: so we can get a 1:1 ratio between pixels drawn by the internal code and pixels displayed in order to debug rendering. (This is the same reason screenshots don't respect OAR by default, even though that's always bugged me).

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#353002 - 04/14/16 07:34 PM

> Good to know. We have a very different views and ways of looking at things.

Let me ask you something. You said you play "most" 4:3 games stretched to 16:9, but now you've also said you don't play fighting games which arguably are a good portion of MAME arcade games.

So here's my suspicion: the games you play that are 4:3 stretched to 16:9 are simple games with no background and maybe 2-color sprites. Things like the 8080bw games for instance.

Games like that are a bit more forgiving to being stretched abnormally.

But games with high color depth and high resolution, at least the ones you enjoy, those are the ones you *don't* stretch?

Otherwise the only games in MAME you actually play are your preferred "golden age arcade classics".

Or am I off base?

What sort of games don't you prefer stretching?

- Stiletto

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

#353011 - 04/15/16 02:01 AM

> > > Well, I'm sorry you find it "terrible". I personally don't think it rises to the
> > > level of mildly annoying - but we're all different.
> >
> > You seem to think this is a subjective issue and therefore subject to debate. It
> > really isn't.
> >
> > > I don't have an arcade cabinet. I don't have arcade controls. I don't have the
> > lights
> > > dimmed to restrict reflections, and I don't play naff pop music in the background
> > for
> > > ambiance. There are lots of ways I don't emulate the original experience. It's
> just
> > > not that important to me. I accept it may be to you, and of course, I'm happy you
> > can
> > > run the games any way you please.
> >
> > You are of course free to use emulators in any way and under any context you like
> > (though unlike buying arcade controls etc., playing under the correct aspect ratio
> > costs you neither time nor effort, so why you deliberately force a "Fat Chun-Li"
> > aspect ratio on your games when they weren't developed that way is bewildering).
> > Rather, my comments, and those of others here, are based on your public
> encouragement
> > - and yes *propagation* of the notion that it's somehow a good idea to do what
> you're
> > doing, when it simply isn't. It's hard to sit silent and watch bad advice like this
> > encouraging others to do the same, who will eventually give the same advice to more
> > people.
> >
> > Or if you prefer: privately it's no big deal, but publically it isn't right, and
> > disservices the original developers to boot.
>
> I'm sorry, but from my side of the fence it looks like you're trying to apply a hard
> set of rules on what people should, and shouldn't do. You're trying to dictate to
> people what is, and what is not, acceptable. That's the problem.

No, that really isn't the problem. The problem, which you reenforce with each of your responses, is that the point we are making seems to be sailing too far above your head to see. It's honestly becoming comical to read them, as you continue to plod down an entirely irrelevant line of reasoning. Your advice/public statement of preference/whatever you want to call it is indeed objectively bad, arguably irresponsible, and wrong for several very good reasons I and others have pointed out. You've unwittingly touched a nerve that for years has been with many of us who care about accurate preservation and honoring the original developers (without whom the games wouldn't even exist), but instead of trying to see why, you continue down a defensive path. It's too bad, especially considering that some of your other posts have actually been enjoyable to read!

Anyway, I'm not going to waste any more time with this pointless discourse. Know this, though: in the future if you DO continue posting this silly "advice" to counteract what you perceive to be "bullying" from people with good intentions who are merely addressing a long-standing and deep-seated problem, it's not exactly going to cast a good light for you in this community, which is composed of people who largely know better (as should be obvious to you by now).

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#353037 - 04/16/16 12:05 AM

> > Nah, I think you're wrong - or hyper-sensitive. If someone watches the videos by
> the
> > OP, they may be moved to try out Mame themselves. With a default install they get
> > OAR. At worst the video shows them that there is an option to play the game
> > stretched. No harm is done.
> >
> > It begs the question - why does Mame have the option to stretch? If it's such an
> > abhorent thing to do, such an attack on the original developers, then why has Mame
> > dev put it in?
>
> For the record, I'm the OP of this thread and I didn't post any videos on youtube or
> anywhere else with 16:9 stretched aspect ratio. I don't even know why my thread
> derailed so far from my original question. C'mon people, everybody made your points
> here, let's move on to more productive discussions. I've got my answer looong time
> ago (thanks MooglyGuy).

Apologies, the thread has become mangled. Totally unintended on my part.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: Stiletto]
#353038 - 04/16/16 12:13 AM

> > Good to know. We have a very different views and ways of looking at things.
>
> Let me ask you something. You said you play "most" 4:3 games stretched to 16:9, but
> now you've also said you don't play fighting games which arguably are a good portion
> of MAME arcade games.
>
> So here's my suspicion: the games you play that are 4:3 stretched to 16:9 are simple
> games with no background and maybe 2-color sprites. Things like the 8080bw games for
> instance.
>
> Games like that are a bit more forgiving to being stretched abnormally.
>
> But games with high color depth and high resolution, at least the ones you enjoy,
> those are the ones you *don't* stretch?
>
> Otherwise the only games in MAME you actually play are your preferred "golden age
> arcade classics".
>
> Or am I off base?
>
> What sort of games don't you prefer stretching?
>
> - Stiletto

I mentioned elsewhere, some time ago, that I have an abiding love for all things from mid-70's through maybe.... 82 or so. Not that I don't like the other games, just that my own slice of nostalgia is triggered by the early period.

I well remember fighting games coming into vogue in arcades. They were the hot thing for some time, and were a large part of the reason I moved away from frequenting arcades. It seemed at the time that all new games were fighting games, and nothing else. My love of fighting games started, and ended, with Karate Champ.

Understand, it illustrates a personal preference. Plenty of people loved the fighting games, and still do. I'm pleased for them - but for me I'd not have a single fighting game on my system - just not my thing.

I don't know if that answers your question. I don't make a blanket statement about stretching 4:3 games because it depends on the game. For example, great bezel art would change my mind. Also, if I truly felt a game looked odd, I'd not do it. As I've said, I'd never stretch a 3:4 game to 16:9, for example.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#353039 - 04/16/16 12:23 AM

> > > > Well, I'm sorry you find it "terrible". I personally don't think it rises to
> the
> > > > level of mildly annoying - but we're all different.
> > >
> > > You seem to think this is a subjective issue and therefore subject to debate. It
> > > really isn't.
> > >
> > > > I don't have an arcade cabinet. I don't have arcade controls. I don't have the
> > > lights
> > > > dimmed to restrict reflections, and I don't play naff pop music in the
> background
> > > for
> > > > ambiance. There are lots of ways I don't emulate the original experience. It's
> > just
> > > > not that important to me. I accept it may be to you, and of course, I'm happy
> you
> > > can
> > > > run the games any way you please.
> > >
> > > You are of course free to use emulators in any way and under any context you like
> > > (though unlike buying arcade controls etc., playing under the correct aspect
> ratio
> > > costs you neither time nor effort, so why you deliberately force a "Fat Chun-Li"
> > > aspect ratio on your games when they weren't developed that way is bewildering).
> > > Rather, my comments, and those of others here, are based on your public
> > encouragement
> > > - and yes *propagation* of the notion that it's somehow a good idea to do what
> > you're
> > > doing, when it simply isn't. It's hard to sit silent and watch bad advice like
> this
> > > encouraging others to do the same, who will eventually give the same advice to
> more
> > > people.
> > >
> > > Or if you prefer: privately it's no big deal, but publically it isn't right, and
> > > disservices the original developers to boot.
> >
> > I'm sorry, but from my side of the fence it looks like you're trying to apply a
> hard
> > set of rules on what people should, and shouldn't do. You're trying to dictate to
> > people what is, and what is not, acceptable. That's the problem.
>
> No, that really isn't the problem. The problem, which you reenforce with each of your
> responses, is that the point we are making seems to be sailing too far above your
> head to see. It's honestly becoming comical to read them, as you continue to plod
> down an entirely irrelevant line of reasoning. Your advice/public statement of
> preference/whatever you want to call it is indeed objectively bad, arguably
> irresponsible, and wrong for several very good reasons I and others have pointed out.
> You've unwittingly touched a nerve that for years has been with many of us who care
> about accurate preservation and honoring the original developers (without whom the
> games wouldn't even exist), but instead of trying to see why, you continue down a
> defensive path. It's too bad, especially considering that some of your other posts
> have actually been enjoyable to read!
>
> Anyway, I'm not going to waste any more time with this pointless discourse. Know
> this, though: in the future if you DO continue posting this silly "advice" to
> counteract what you perceive to be "bullying" from people with good intentions who
> are merely addressing a long-standing and deep-seated problem, it's not exactly going
> to cast a good light for you in this community, which is composed of people who
> largely know better (as should be obvious to you by now).

What's comical is your insinuation that I'm missing the point - I'm not. I'm simply disagreeing with you. We don't feel the same about this issue, and you're hiding from that by pretending I'm not understanding your points. Whatever works for you, I suppose.

As for "respect from the community" - that's a two way street. I've very little respect for the way some of you engage with an opinion that is contrary to your own. As such, do you honestly think your having no respect from me is of an ounce of interest? Sure, if you were someone I respected in the first place it might be biting - but in this case that simply doesn't reply. You're a bully, and as such it's not relevant whether you respect me or not. I'll assume not and happily move on.

This isn't the first time I've seen threads on here from Mame Dev's, attacking those who play the games. It's obvious to me there is a gulf between most Mame coders and those who use the software. It's something Mame Dev's seem to embrace and wear as a badge of honor. The bottom line is, Mame Dev's don't care about the user community, in fact, they treat them with contempt. Lucky it's not something developed for commercial purposes, or you'd be out of business.

Still, there are those who are the exception - so let's be glad of those. I don't have to agree with someone to show them some respect, but take it as said that you sir, are worthy of none.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#353042 - 04/16/16 03:22 AM

Your attitude is why the dev's treat YOU with contempt. Don't act like this is users vs devs & throw anyone else into the mix. And a lot of the users disagree with your pointless ramblings also. Rather than just be bull headed and opinionated, why not see where we're all coming from with an open mind. Esp from the dev's point of view. Treat the work with some respect. And NO, you're not doing that, in case you think you are.

Imagine when da Vinci introduced the Mona Lisa to the world, and you come in and stretched the canvas cause you thought it looked better. Not only would that be an incredible insult to the artist but everyone who bared witness would probably beat you to death. You might not look at it that way, but that's what you're doing here, and the example that was given to you before (in case you missed the point)

Edited by Envisaged0ne (04/16/16 01:59 PM)

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Send PM

#353045 - 04/16/16 03:32 AM

> What's comical is your insinuation that I'm missing the point - I'm not. I'm simply
> disagreeing with you. We don't feel the same about this issue, and you're hiding from
> that by pretending I'm not understanding your points. Whatever works for you, I
> suppose.

I'm not insinuating that you're missing the point - I'm outright telling you that you are. I'm also not "hiding" from anything, I literally told you we don't feel the same, but again that's not the issue and I'm through wasting my time trying to help you understand what that is, especially when nothing you've said reflects any willingness to try - so we're done here. If you want to call that "bullying" that's your choice, listen carefully for the sound of real bullies across the world groaning in despair at such a gross dilution of their title; but at least it's a creative use of the word. "A" for effort.

Edited by Shoegazr (04/16/16 04:54 AM)

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#353050 - 04/16/16 11:40 AM Attachment: Donald-Trump.jpg 17 KB (0 downloads)

>listen carefully for the sound of real bullies across the world groaning in despair at such a gross dilution of their title

Sorry for jumping in your post. For example. Donald Trump

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#353053 - 04/16/16 02:07 PM

> I don't know if that answers your question. I don't make a blanket statement about
> stretching 4:3 games because it depends on the game. For example, great bezel art
> would change my mind. Also, if I truly felt a game looked odd, I'd not do it. As I've
> said, I'd never stretch a 3:4 game to 16:9, for example.

Humor me, as I'm fiddling with a shader and would like to get your opinion on it: Can you give me an example of a 4:3 game that you do stretch to 16:9, and a game that you don't?

anikom15
Send PM

#353074 - 04/16/16 09:09 PM

FWIW, it is a good question.

anikom15
Send PM

#353079 - 04/16/16 11:06 PM

There are certain things that are right and wrong in this world, and the distortion of someone else's artwork is wrong. You present an argument to moderation, that aspect ratio is somehow a debate, but there is no debate. 16:9 is clearly the wrong aspect ratio. Therefore you should not be presenting this artwork in 16:9 to people. It's as simple as that.

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Recording a video after playing it new [Re: Haze]
#353083 - 04/17/16 01:12 AM

Finally i've managed to stretch the videos to the correct aspect with the youtube tag yt:stretch=4:3.

Now all in 4:3 looks great.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#353221 - 04/19/16 07:42 PM

> Finally i've managed to stretch the videos to the correct aspect with the youtube tag
> yt:stretch=4:3.
>
> Now all in 4:3 looks great.

Thanks, verified, the games look very sharp and are the proper geometry now.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 348 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6750