MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

imaprinter
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/05/16
Send PM

Back for more abuse about GORF, this time sound
#349554 - 01/25/16 01:48 AM Attachment: gorphian.wav 8 KB (3 downloads)

I deserved all the crappy comments about not knowing much. I admit it - but I am not a quitter and I really wanted MAME to work . . . so after all the help and suggestions I have MAME uploaded on my Macbook pro and it runs under Terminal. I downloaded the Gorp Zip with the A-H bin files and put them in the ROM folder . . . and hurray it works. After being roundly made fun of here I was able to get a USB game controller and set up the joystick and the fire button. My God the game I spent several thousand dollars playing as a 15 year old is now working and free . . . except the sound does not play . . . which I mean the taunting gorfian voice. The game sounds are working fine, but I miss that mean guy laughing at me! So I am back to whine and beg for technical assistance. You can call me an idiot again and all that just tell me how to get these .wav files working on my game! I was able to fine ALL of the files on sound swap and I have them all uploaded. I have no idea how to get them to play and as I said before I have very, very little experience with coding or developing. I am a graphic designer, an end user and I need some step by step instructions. Soooooo in return for a solid laugh in my face I would like directions and/or information to get Gorf working with the gorfian leader making continued fun of me. That should be incentive enough! I look forward to your reply.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Back for more abuse about GORF, this time sound new [Re: imaprinter]
#349556 - 01/25/16 02:35 AM

> I deserved all the crappy comments about not knowing much. I admit it - but I am not
> a quitter and I really wanted MAME to work . . . so after all the help and
> suggestions I have MAME uploaded on my Macbook pro and it runs under Terminal. I
> downloaded the Gorp Zip with the A-H bin files and put them in the ROM folder . . .
> and hurray it works. After being roundly made fun of here I was able to get a USB
> game controller and set up the joystick and the fire button. My God the game I spent
> several thousand dollars playing as a 15 year old is now working and free . . .
> except the sound does not play . . . which I mean the taunting gorfian voice. The
> game sounds are working fine, but I miss that mean guy laughing at me! So I am back
> to whine and beg for technical assistance. You can call me an idiot again and all
> that just tell me how to get these .wav files working on my game! I was able to fine
> ALL of the files on sound swap and I have them all uploaded. I have no idea how to
> get them to play and as I said before I have very, very little experience with coding
> or developing. I am a graphic designer, an end user and I need some step by step
> instructions. Soooooo in return for a solid laugh in my face I would like directions
> and/or information to get Gorf working with the gorfian leader making continued fun
> of me. That should be incentive enough! I look forward to your reply.

You can find the samples pack @@@ and simply put it in your SAMPLES folder (or whichever folder you have assigned to "samplepath" in the mame.ini file. Just like ROMS, CFG, NVRAM - SAMPLES should be in the folder. If it is not, create a SAMPLES folder and place the gorf.zip sample set there. Sample use is on by default if the samples are found.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: Back for more abuse about GORF, this time sound new [Re: Tafoid]
#349557 - 01/25/16 02:51 AM

Yip was just gonna say voices are handled by the Samples

Arcade Addict

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: Back for more abuse about GORF, this time sound new [Re: imaprinter]
#349558 - 01/25/16 03:00 AM

Download the Gorf sample and place it in the samples folder.

http://www.progettosnaps.net/samples/

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: about GORF, this time sound new [Re: gamez fan]
#349571 - 01/25/16 11:50 AM

>was just gonna say voices are handled by the Samples

Just like the Toaplan MCU audio example, this is also where samples support should eventually be dropped whenever the Votrax SC-01 hardware is completely emulated. The company never released any hardware documents other than patents and the chip had to be reverse engineered a bit by what was shown on the filed patents documents.

*The excerpt below is from my old post from winter 2012.*

-
http://mamedev.org/releases/whatsnew_0146.txt

0.145u4

Formalized the Votrax SC-01 device. Implemented the full set of
digital logic from the patent, including the timing circuit,
transition circuit, glottal generator, and noise source. Some unknowns
still exist with regards to clocking, due to contradictory statements
in the patent, but as it stands now, all parameters are fetched and
processed, phonemes are requested, and in theory all that remains is
for someone with analog sound experience to simulate the filters on
the output. For now, you just get the raw glottal pulse mixed with the
noise signal based on the vocal and fricative amplitudes, which is
enough to show progress, but hardly a pleasing result just yet.
[Aaron Giles, Lord Nightmare, Olivier Galibert]
-

What is still needed is someone that can do work similar to what couriersud could do and maybe former MAMEdev member Derrick Renaud as well.

The video example that Gyrovision posted back in 2012 and linked in 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTMow2Sn67A

btw: Whoever was answering the telephone for the pizza order in the 1970s had to be wondering if the phone call was some comedy gag by the staff on Alan Fundt's long ago American tv show 'Candid Camera'.

-
incorporating a Votrax voice synthesizer, a product of the Federal Screw Works Co. of Troy, Michigan. The inventor of the Votrax voice synthesizer was Richard Gagnon from Birmingham, MI.

"orders a pizza using a talking computer, Dec 4, 1974"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94d_h_t2QAA
-

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

And do so for any other game that needs them..... new [Re: joey35car]
#349877 - 02/04/16 11:13 AM

Though such fervor for Gorf is fucking beyond me.

Kudos for figuring most of your stuff out.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: And do so for any other game that needs them..... new [Re: Traso]
#349886 - 02/04/16 06:59 PM

> Though such fervor for Gorf is fucking beyond me.

What's wrong with Gorf? Game was great when it came out. Had a mix of Space Invaders and Galaxian in the game play.

lamprey
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/01/11
Send PM

Re: And do so for any other game that needs them..... new [Re: joey35car]
#349887 - 02/04/16 10:51 PM

> > Though such fervor for Gorf is fucking beyond me.
>
> What's wrong with Gorf? Game was great when it came out. Had a mix of Space Invaders
> and Galaxian in the game play.

I like Gorf for what it was at the time, probably more from a tech perspective: digitized voices and light up progress "badges"

The actual game play itself I always though sucked. But, that's just my opinion and I don't care for Popeye either, but people love that game. *shrug*

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Gorf new [Re: joey35car]
#349890 - 02/05/16 12:52 AM

>>Though such fervor for Gorf is fucking beyond me.

>What's wrong with Gorf? Game was great when it came out. Had a mix of Space Invaders and
>Galaxian in the game play.

Gorf wasn't my type of game, but as you mention...Gorf did have a quite a number of fans back then when I saw Gorf cabs at places back in the day. I prefered playing Bosconian instead.

Only time I recall a sizeable line of folks lining up to play a game was Indy 800 and also Nintendo WG. And then in early 1980s, the memorable waiting lines were to play Dragons Lair or Atari Star Wars.....especially Star Wars. From years 1983 till about 1985 at any place that had a Star Wars cab, there was always a long line waiting to play Star Wars.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: And do so for any other game that needs them..... new [Re: Traso]
#349891 - 02/05/16 01:05 AM

>And do so for any other game that needs them.....

There are some analog/discrete audio sound effects that could not be supported as external audio samples because of the complexity of how audio sound is generated. Best example is any of the 1970s era Sprint racing games. The motor sound effect that changes pitch after doing any gear shifting generates a continuous sound effect. Not possible to support that as an external audio sample file compared to simpler one shot sound effects such as a crash or explosion sound effect.

Derrick, Zsolt, Keith, couriersud, Frank Palazzolo did a great job over the years of getting analog / discrete audio supported. I am crossing fingers more stuff may happen this year, but the analog emulation is an area where very few folks know how to work in that part of emulation.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 407 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3484