MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Why is [grainbow] marked as NOT WORKING?
#348997 - 01/07/16 07:36 PM

I just played a full game of [grainbow] and I beat it. So I don't understand why it's still marked as NOT WORKING.

SD Gundam - Sangokushi Rainbow Tairiku Senki (c) 1993 Banpresto

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: Why is [grainbow] marked as NOT WORKING? new [Re: Big Karnak]
#349137 - 01/11/16 02:06 AM

The protection system this game uses is not fully understood or Emulated correctly
in MAME although the game seems to be working fully the Dev's cant be sure it's
fully 100% hence the game not working flag in the Driver and the Emulator.

i guess that it works at all is a bonus.

Arcade Addict

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#349138 - 01/11/16 03:06 AM

> I just played a full game of [grainbow] and I beat it. So I don't understand why it's
> still marked as NOT WORKING.
>
> SD Gundam - Sangokushi Rainbow Tairiku Senki (c) 1993 Banpresto

Just because something is marked not working doesn't mean doesn't work. Just try it anyway to see.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: Why is [grainbow] marked as NOT WORKING? new [Re: Dullaron]
#349140 - 01/11/16 03:39 AM

I wonder how many other games are fully playable that are marked NOT WORKING. There's always going to be issues with games, but if a game is fully playable from beginning to end, it should not be marked as NOT WORKING.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#349148 - 01/11/16 06:33 AM

Sometimes if a chip isn't emulated or dumped and is faked with guess code then the game can run but the "game" as it was made is not working. Maybe not the most simple concept for users but what you are seeing running absolutely may not be the game that was written in some cases. Just because you see the graphics and can move around the screen, you are still looking at a broken piece of shit that would make the game author roll his eyes. Take for example a chip that has an undumpable rom that handles enemy behavior. Without it enemies have no AI and just walk straight and fall off the screen instead of attacking you. You could still walk through the game and see the ending, but it's broken shit. It's not working.

In some cases a shared file could have gotten fixed for squashing another game's bug and accidentally fixed another game, and could still be marked as broken for a while because nobody's realized it is fixed yet.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#349152 - 01/11/16 12:07 PM

> I wonder how many other games are fully playable that are marked NOT WORKING. There's
> always going to be issues with games, but if a game is fully playable from beginning
> to end, it should not be marked as NOT WORKING.

it's a good job some of us actually have higher standards.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: Why is [grainbow] marked as NOT WORKING? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#349160 - 01/11/16 06:11 PM

You make a good point and used a good example. I was just surprised that I was able to play it from beginning to end without noticing any issues at all. I'm not saying there aren't any issues, there obviously must be for it to be marked that way. Usually, games that are marked NOT WORKING are either unplayable, can't advance past a certain point in the game, have serious graphic issues, or some other bug that is noticeable to a gamer. Technically, almost every working game can be considered IMPERFECT since 100% accurate emulation is not possible/feasible, but if MAME is going to have classifications such as WORKING, IMPERFECT, and NOT WORKING, then I would have thought a game like this would be marked IMPERFECT. Just my novice opinion.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#349162 - 01/11/16 06:38 PM

There's only the not working flag, that's it. The imperfect flags are just for graphics or sound, if I'm remembering correctly.

gamez fan
Send PM

Re: Why is [grainbow] marked as NOT WORKING? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#349164 - 01/11/16 07:14 PM

Certainly the game might qualify for the MACHINE_UNEMULATED_PROTECTION Flag..???

Arcade Addict

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Why is [grainbow] marked as NOT WORKING? new [Re: gamez fan]
#349165 - 01/11/16 07:37 PM

> Certainly the game might qualify for the MACHINE_UNEMULATED_PROTECTION Flag..???

Like all games in that driver (legionna.cpp), it is already flagged for both not working and unemulated protection because both apply. The RED warning screen also states both messages.

GAME( 1993, grainbow, 0, grainbow, grainbow, driver_device, 0, ROT0, "Banpresto", "SD Gundam Sangokushi Rainbow Tairiku Senki", MACHINE_UNEMULATED_PROTECTION | MACHINE_NOT_WORKING )

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Why is [grainbow] marked as NOT WORKING? new [Re: gamez fan]
#349167 - 01/11/16 07:58 PM

> Certainly the game might qualify for the MACHINE_UNEMULATED_PROTECTION Flag..???

why are people so desperate to have something THAT DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY marked as WORKING....

the only one in the driver that might ACTUALLY work properly and is still flagged is Godzilla, which makes limited use of the protection, but is such a shit game I'm really not sure.

Gundam doesn't even have working score displays, it isn't happy with the implementation Raiden 2 needed because we don't understand the chip well enough, and that's just surface level, maybe you should actually trust us.

People have been saying the same about Zero Team, yet the game is utterly fucked up in places even if you can get through it, only the New Zero Team and Zero Team 2000 sets work.

The unemulated protection flag should probably also REQUIRE the not working flag to be set, because if your protection emulation / simulation is wrong to the point of needing a flag then the game sure as hell isn't going to work properly.

gamez fan
Send PM

Re: Why is [grainbow] marked as NOT WORKING? new [Re: Haze]
#349173 - 01/12/16 12:50 AM

Quote:

why are people so desperate to have something THAT DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY marked as WORKING....

Forget i mentioned it i was simply suggesting a halfway house between Working and Not Working

Arcade Addict

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 454 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1777