MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

imaprinter
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/05/16
Send PM

Using Mouse instead of Arrow Keys . . . Please HELP!
#348859 - 01/05/16 01:19 AM

My email is [email protected] and all I want to do is play my favorite video games from the 1980's on my computer (I have a Mac and a Windows computer). I have found the MAME for Gorf, Tempest and battlezone! The problem is all I can use on GORF to move is the arrow keys. It stinks because I am not yet able to move quickly and without looking. All of you super smart programmer types surely know a way for me to use input this game and change the up, down, left, right from arrow keys to the mouse. If there is NO way to do this I will give up trying and practice with the arrow keys.

I am a graphic artist teacher . . . but programming, no so much. Please help me. I cannot afford to buy the classic games. I could really appreciate any assistance you can provide.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: Using Mouse instead of Arrow Keys . . . Please HELP! new [Re: imaprinter]
#348877 - 01/05/16 07:15 AM

> My email is [email protected] and all I want to do is play my favorite video
> games from the 1980's on my computer (I have a Mac and a Windows computer). I have
> found the MAME for Gorf, Tempest and battlezone! The problem is all I can use on GORF
> to move is the arrow keys. It stinks because I am not yet able to move quickly and
> without looking. All of you super smart programmer types surely know a way for me to
> use input this game and change the up, down, left, right from arrow keys to the
> mouse. If there is NO way to do this I will give up trying and practice with the
> arrow keys.
>
> I am a graphic artist teacher . . . but programming, no so much. Please help me. I
> cannot afford to buy the classic games. I could really appreciate any assistance you
> can provide.

Use the 'Tab' key while ingame to pull up the configuration menu. From there select 'Input (this game)' to remap the controls to your liking.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

#348939 - 01/06/16 07:07 AM

You have to enable mouse support in the mame.ini file. In mame.ini, change the following:

Mouse 0 to Mouse 1

Then start the game, Press the TAB key, go to Input (This Machine), and change whatever you want to change. For instance, if you want the LEFT arrow to be controlled by your mouse, then press ENTER on the P1 LEFT and move your mouse to the left to reprogram it.

imaprinter
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Using Mouse instead of Arrow Keys . . . Please HELP! new [Re: Big Karnak]
#349136 - 01/11/16 01:57 AM

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I am a Mac computer guy and I have a lot of trouble with PCs. I found the INI file in the Gorf folder. I changed the mouse setting from 0 to 1 then exited the INI file. When I went to the game and hit tab to Input this Machine and I was able to Arrow down to the Up Down Left Right (which were labeled with up arrow, down arrow, left arrow and right arrow) For the life of me I cannot figure what to type in or do to get the mouse to work instead of the arrow keys. Could you help me more?

I would really appreciate it.

Howard

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

#349139 - 01/11/16 03:37 AM

The mame.ini file is located in the root directory of mame.exe... not the gorf directory.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#349144 - 01/11/16 04:23 AM

Might I suggest downloading & trying
http://www.mameui.info/ or another front end to use?

You can go through & easily click the changes to whatever you want to try & it'll do it automatically. Then after you feel more comfortable you can go back to what you were using.(If you even feel the need to). It's a lot easier &
is exactly the same program.

GL

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Actual advice from a dev here new [Re: imaprinter]
#349145 - 01/11/16 04:42 AM

You'll have to forgive us, sometimes some of the users of this forum have a bad tendency to try to give advice without bothering to actually understand the questions that they're responding to.

Enabling the "mouse" option in mame.ini is not going to help you, and installing MAMEUI is not going to help you. It actually beggars belief that people would suggest either. If you own both a Mac and a PC, but are more familiar with the former, I don't think it'd be in your best interest to try using something Windows-specific, especially when it won't help with your particular issue.

Long story short, MAME does not currently have any way of using the computer's mouse to control games that normally use digital joysticks. You're more or less out of luck unless you can find a Mac-specific utility that will translate mouse movements into key inputs.

If learning to use the arrow keys isn't your cup of tea, I would suggest looking into getting a USB-based game controller, as perhaps a digital pad will be suitably close to a joystick for your liking.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#349147 - 01/11/16 04:52 AM

You cannot use a mouse to control games that originally had digital joysticks; this is because it would be a god-awful experience and your wrists would fall off. Games like Gorf used digital joysticks: they're either in the center or up/left/down/right, never anyplace in between. Mice, especially modern ones, are analog and have tens of thousands of points in between. The two systems don't translate well, and MAME doesn't even try.

Your best bet is to buy and use a USB game pad; many people who also own consoles have found happiness using Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 or 4 controllers, but there are PC/Mac-specific ones as well.

imaprinter
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Using Mouse instead of Arrow Keys . . . Please HELP! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#349176 - 01/12/16 02:31 AM

Thanks for the advice. I tried to search on ebay and there are a LOT of options. Could you please recommend a really good device. I really want to get GORF battlezone and tempest to work! Also if it is not to much troublecould you advise me the best way to get it to work with the MAME Gorf file I downloaded?

Again I appreciate your time. I am currently using a PC, and the game plays fine, just it only works with the arrow keys and I am trying to find a better Left, Right, Up, Down solution.

I look forward to your reply.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Well, he could've first explored the links on the main page and all.....(nt) new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#349317 - 01/17/16 02:07 AM

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/27/11
Send PM

Re: Using Mouse instead of Arrow Keys . . . Please HELP! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#349341 - 01/17/16 07:09 AM

Out of curiosity, I ran Gorf on MAMEUI and was easily able to map it to my mouse. I certainly wouldn't recommend playing this way but it does work.

View my gameplay videos:
Light Gun Games with Aimtrak
Trackball Games with X-Arcade Trackball
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer with Dual Throttle Controls

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Using Mouse instead of Arrow Keys . . . Please HELP! new [Re: DarthMarino]
#349471 - 01/22/16 10:11 AM

> Out of curiosity, I ran Gorf on MAMEUI and was easily able to map it to my mouse. I certainly wouldn't recommend playing this way but it does work.

What a teease. So share your proedures, beau.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

DarthMarino
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/27/11
Send PM

Re: Using Mouse instead of Arrow Keys . . . Please HELP! new [Re: Traso]
#349474 - 01/22/16 03:56 PM

> > Out of curiosity, I ran Gorf on MAMEUI and was easily able to map it to my mouse. I
> certainly wouldn't recommend playing this way but it does work.
>
>
> What a teease. So share your proedures, beau.

I didn't do anything fancy.

-Right click on the game in MAMEUI
-Go to the Controllers Tab
-Make sure Enable Mouse and Multiple Mice are checked
-Start the Game
-Press Tab
-Arrow down to control I want to change
-Press Enter
-Slide the mouse in the appropriate direction
-Rinse and Repeat

View my gameplay videos:
Light Gun Games with Aimtrak
Trackball Games with X-Arcade Trackball
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer with Dual Throttle Controls

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 370 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2129