MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

...But what I am still looking for recommendations on...
#346621 - 11/03/15 04:04 PM Attachment: Clipboard01.png 8 KB (0 downloads)

...is an audio file batch converter.

One that can retain tags from the m4a files ripped long ago when it converts them to... anything more widely accepted (flac, ogg, mp3?).

One that isn't filled with malware and other badness.

One that's free.

I've got one that seems to satisfy the last two of those, but my library currently contains about 2500 m4a files, and while I have several free players that don't care that it's Apple's format (even Irfanview plays them!), the best-looking easy-to-set-up-and-use app I've found is still MediaMonkey, which seems to be charging extra for the codecs required.

Getting VLC or Foobar to look good and stay that way (and not break down to the point where I have to uninstall it to get it running again) is complex, WMP is still WMP, and Apple's software... well I don't want it to install hidden broken versions of things I tell it to not install, so it can go... shove an apple up its interface.

So I'd like to just turn these things into things other things know how to play.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: ...But what I am still looking for recommendations on... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#346632 - 11/03/15 08:50 PM

> ...is an audio file batch converter.
>
> One that can retain tags from the m4a files ripped long ago when it converts them
> to... anything more widely accepted (flac, ogg, mp3?).
>
> One that isn't filled with malware and other badness.
>
> One that's free.

You'll probably have a hard time finding a batch audio converter fitting the first requirement. I would try another approach.

For example, I would see if I could export the tag info in any way to somewhere else, be it a text file or inside the filename itself. Then convert the files (your choice of converter, lately I hardly use any although Freemake Audio Coverter saves the day for me when I need that stuff). And then get the tag info inside the files again, with any of the many batch taggers out there. I've used TagScanner which IIRC is free and can parse information from the filename. In the case of a text file, it would be possible to use a command-line driven approach because there are also command line applications to work with MP3 and other files tags.

But that's how I would do it, I don't know if these ideas could be of any help to you.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: ...But what I am still looking for recommendations on... new [Re: Pi]
#346635 - 11/03/15 09:23 PM

> > ...is an audio file batch converter.
> >
> > One that can retain tags from the m4a files ripped long ago when it converts them
> > to... anything more widely accepted (flac, ogg, mp3?).
> >
> > One that isn't filled with malware and other badness.
> >
> > One that's free.
>
> You'll probably have a hard time finding a batch audio converter fitting the first
> requirement. I would try another approach.
>
> For example, I would see if I could export the tag info in any way to somewhere else,
> be it a text file or inside the filename itself. Then convert the files (your choice
> of converter, lately I hardly use any although Freemake Audio Coverter saves the day
> for me when I need that stuff). And then get the tag info inside the files again,
> with any of the many batch taggers out there. I've used TagScanner which IIRC is free
> and can parse information from the filename. In the case of a text file, it would be
> possible to use a command-line driven approach because there are also command line
> applications to work with MP3 and other files tags.
>
> But that's how I would do it, I don't know if these ideas could be of any help to
> you.

Yeah, you really only need to do a big batch once, unless you keep changing.

Hrm. I can have MediaMonkey auto-name from tag and auto-tag from name, I've done both to get where I am now. Some of these have album art in the tags that isn't exactly easy to come by though; that's the part I'm concerned about.
I've a 3-disk set called "It's Only Rock 'n Roll," each disk featuring one of the central figures of the birth of the genre. Finding the set? I haven't been able to. I think I may have scanned the covers myself long ago.

"Someone" who "won't be named" by me once posted "somewhere" a large number of versions of a tainted song about love, and I have several of those still; a couple I had to actually create cover art for. Those should be mp3s though.

I'll need to go through and make sure they all have separate images. MM seems to be doing that on its own, but I need to check them. Even then, the "folder.jpg" files I'm seeing are only 200x200.

Maybe there isn't much of a problem then, beyond the really long cycles required to %$#@ the names, convert them, and then clean them again. I hope there aren't any with special characters....

helta
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/04/15
Send PM

Re: ...But what I am still looking for recommendations on... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#346645 - 11/04/15 01:03 AM

Are you sure it wasn't a 2 disc set?

This one?

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#346650 - 11/04/15 02:22 AM

Based on a suggestion here I went w/ fre:ac which will convert m4a. Free, up to date, does a variety of input and output types.

http://www.freac.org/

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#346652 - 11/04/15 03:22 AM

> ...is an audio file batch converter.
>
> One that can retain tags from the m4a files ripped long ago when it converts them
> to... anything more widely accepted (flac, ogg, mp3?).
>
> One that isn't filled with malware and other badness.
>
> One that's free.

... doesn't Fre.Ac do this?

http://www.freac.org/

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

#346658 - 11/04/15 05:35 AM

Foobar will do mass conversion. Just select all the files you want in your library, right click->Convert, and setup how you want the files encoded.

And how is your foobar installation getting messed up? Just tell it to save its settings to an ini file instead of the windows registry, and its easily restorable. I've used the same installation for ~4 years across a few OS reinstalls that way.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: ...But what I am still looking for recommendations on... new [Re: helta]
#346660 - 11/04/15 06:12 AM Attachment: Clipboard01.png 118 KB (0 downloads)

> Are you sure it wasn't a 2 disc set?
>
> This one?

Very sure. It's this one, if I can capture all three:

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: ...But what I am still looking for recommendations on... new [Re: Reznor007]
#346661 - 11/04/15 06:15 AM

> Foobar will do mass conversion. Just select all the files you want in your library,
> right click->Convert, and setup how you want the files encoded.
>
> And how is your foobar installation getting messed up? Just tell it to save its
> settings to an ini file instead of the windows registry, and its easily restorable.
> I've used the same installation for ~4 years across a few OS reinstalls that way.

It got messed up while I was trying to make it look just the way I wanted. Something I changed crashed it, and it wouldn't restart since the condition had been saved. Or maybe that was VLC, but I know something went wrong with it.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: ...But what I am still looking for recommendations on... new [Re: Foxhack]
#346662 - 11/04/15 06:22 AM

> > ...is an audio file batch converter.
> >
> > One that can retain tags from the m4a files ripped long ago when it converts them
> > to... anything more widely accepted (flac, ogg, mp3?).
> >
> > One that isn't filled with malware and other badness.
> >
> > One that's free.
>
> ... doesn't Fre.Ac do this?
>
> http://www.freac.org/

Two recommendations. I'll check it out.

It might. The problem is finding things these days. The results are dominated by things like download.com, and when you dig through the "free" results to remove the non-functional demos and trials, you're left with hijacking crap that takes a suite of anti-malware apps to remove. And... freac wants to be downloaded through that same place. Though there are other options.

EDIT: It... seems to work. I tested it on a single album, and it converted all the tracks. But many of them are colabs, and... I don't know quite what it did with them, as only one track from the album showed up under the artist's name. Not to say that's its fault, as this is my nephew's will.i.am album, near the end of my library, where I haven't gone through to clean them up quite right yet.
I tested by converting to flac, and noticed Windows wasn't showing the art, but then saw that that's standard for the format, and it does show up when I play one (which wasn't the worst thing I've heard of late).

Edited by TriggerFin (11/04/15 07:01 AM)

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#346671 - 11/04/15 09:39 AM

> "Someone" who "won't be named" by me once posted "somewhere" a large number of
> versions of a tainted song about love, and I have several of those still; a couple I
> had to actually create cover art for. Those should be mp3s though.

I'm sure those are MP3 but good luck finding the art for *all* of them. They are 89 versions and some are really hard to find bands.

In the end all I tried to say was that there should be a solution for your problem. Maybe not the easiest but one that will give you satisfying results.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#346681 - 11/04/15 03:36 PM

I've always just used dbpoweramp with a few codecs/plugins. I think m4a is just an audio-only mp4 file. I think apple chose to use it but they didn't make or own it afaik. I can't understand what exact issues you are having/why you would want to convert them. Going from lossy to lossy is not going to do you any quality favors.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: ...But what I am still looking for recommendations on... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#346685 - 11/04/15 05:19 PM

> I've always just used dbpoweramp with a few codecs/plugins. I think m4a is just an
> audio-only mp4 file. I think apple chose to use it but they didn't make or own it
> afaik. I can't understand what exact issues you are having/why you would want to
> convert them. Going from lossy to lossy is not going to do you any quality favors.

Player that doesn't play them without paying for the codecs. I have at least five ways to play them, but the one I like the interface of won't do it. I'd most likely, when I do run more than a test, use lossless so they don't get any worse.
My test of an album I don't care about showed me I'm not ready yet.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#346693 - 11/04/15 10:59 PM

> I tested by converting to flac, and noticed Windows wasn't showing the art, but then
> saw that that's standard for the format, and it does show up when I play one (which
> wasn't the worst thing I've heard of late).

What OS are you on? Windows 10 is the only one shows the artwork on FLAC files within the OS itself. 7 and 8 do not.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2852595/a...ac-support.html

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#346702 - 11/05/15 05:31 AM

Will they not play if you install K-lite codecs? I haven't checked for that one specifically.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: ...But what I am still looking for recommendations on... new [Re: Foxhack]
#346706 - 11/05/15 06:41 AM

> > I tested by converting to flac, and noticed Windows wasn't showing the art, but
> then
> > saw that that's standard for the format, and it does show up when I play one (which
> > wasn't the worst thing I've heard of late).
>
> What OS are you on? Windows 10 is the only one shows the artwork on FLAC files within
> the OS itself. 7 and 8 do not.
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/2852595/a...ac-support.html

Must be the way the art is stored. I went back and checked again: THESE flac files don't show the art, but SOME do.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#346707 - 11/05/15 06:50 AM

> Must be the way the art is stored. I went back and checked again: THESE flac files
> don't show the art, but SOME do.

It's possible the image is in a format Windows Explorer can't handle, like a PNG with weird compression - I've seen Windows Explorer choke while trying to create thumbnails for some of my images. Or maybe the image got messed up when converting them.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: ...But what I am still looking for recommendations on... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#346708 - 11/05/15 06:59 AM

> Will they not play if you install K-lite codecs? I haven't checked for that one
> specifically.

So far, everything has required its own pack. I have installed codecs at the prompting of four programs. WMP uses a generic one, shared with a couple others. Others have their own packs.

Adding K-lite, just now, hasn't changed that, though it forced removal of an existing (probably inferior) pack.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 120 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1964