View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GL|Hcktrox
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/03/15
Send PM

Can't rip this charset
#346606 - 11/03/15 02:44 AM

Hello. I'm trying to do a very little romhack of Sonic The Hedgehog from the Sega Genesis; my goal is to keep it in such a maneer that it plays just the same way as the MegaPlay version of this same game does.

This work is almost complete, the game engine has been successfully tweaked, the scoring table is complete (for now using the original game's charset used for the debugger level select screen), and I even implemented a part of MegaPlay's BIOS screen as you can see here:

To complete my work however, I need the MegaPlay BIOS's charset. I'd try to set the emulator to the system's standard screen resolution, open the GFX viewer, and rip the font by taking screenshots with the letters on screen, so I could then convert each tile/cell to 4BPP and make it useable within my project.
However, I'm completely unable to open the GFX viewer for this BIOS nor any game based on this.
Any recommendations? Anything I could do against this issue? Thank you.

Edited by GL|Hcktrox (11/03/15 02:45 AM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Can't rip this charset new [Re: GL|Hcktrox]
#346610 - 11/03/15 05:50 AM

Megadrive-based hardware reads graphics tiles from RAM. MAME's GFX viewer doesn't show it. You'll have to find the tiles in ROM and decode them yourself, exactly as you would for a Megadrive/Genesis game.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Can't rip this charset new [Re: GL|Hcktrox]
#346613 - 11/03/15 06:50 AM

This is an old program but I think it should help you do what you need.

http://home.arcor.de/minako.aino/TilEd2002/

If someone knows of something better & newer please enlighten us. (I'm sure there is.)

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1841